(See All?) Announcements
295 Users Online
Bing, Google

i see now that i won't let go — Round Stone Crest 
Print · · Subscribe · 2 Loves ·
Played by Cade (inactive characters) who has 711 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Gent Lieris
@Raela
Not only have I been craving more Jen posts, but Gent needs yet another heart to heart with his hunting buddy. P:
slight pp liberties taken. takes place a few hours before this thread here.
EDIT: I forgot about Danica's birthing threads, so just to be safe I'mma say forward date this to 5/29.

The gravity of this day pulled hard on Gent, constricting his gut and sealing a solemn gaze upon his features. Deep within he was thrilled, victory so close he could salivate from the taste of it. However his mind would not quit, gears grinding hard at work to solve the single question that birthed thousands of subsequent questions: was it too soon? He had properly proved his authority? Would the others accept his reign? Even if they were passive, did they trust him? Should he have spent more time bonding with each one of them? What would Minka think? Kova? What if Lugh resisted him? What if one of the other men tried to oust him? What if he couldn't mold this pack into what he wanted it to be? A year from now, would this still be what he wanted?

He couldn't mess it up. And he couldn't dedicate himself just to pull back later, once he became alpha of Round Stone Crest, it would be sealed in stone. He was determined that he would never desert, never turn his back on them once this place was his. And that's why everything had to be so perfect. So was this truly the best thing? Was today really the day?

Heavy black paws wandered for quite some time before they finally found a goal to aim for. It was too soon to speak with Minka, even though she would be the single most affected wolf in all of this. With the very unfamiliar feeling of indecision wracking his brain, he didn't want to involve her in anything that might be messy, did not want to approach her about leadership until he was completely certain of himself and what he wanted. However, there was one wolf within the pack that had already shared a moment with him far messier than he'd ever wanted to experience. Someone who also caused several other thoughts and questions push their way into his crowded mind...

There was some nature of feelings brewing between Astraeus and Raela. Perhaps Gent was wrong on a few notes, as he clearly wasn't very well versed with things that dabbled into emotion, much less soaked in it as attraction did. He also couldn't know what was and was not reciprocated on either side. However, he did know that Raela and Aeus spent quite a bit of time together and were often found sitting or walking next to each other; recalling every pack event, he had realized that in each instance they had been glued to each others' side. He also remembered an aggressive and possessive tinge to the other man's features each time Gent had gotten too close to Raela when the woman, along with Kova, had led them to their current home. And of course, the most recent event of Aeus' actions toward her at the conclusion of their challenge.

The problem was, he already sensed a level of ambition from Astraeus. If Raela was to fall for him and become his mate, what was stopping them from leaving the pack to start their own? They couldn't start a family if they were to remain with Round Stone Crest; their only option was to leave if they became serious about their coupling. Unless Aeus planned on usurping both Gent and Minka. A shiver of protectiveness ran its course down his spine, a tinge of anger seeping into his veins as he thought of Aeus forcing Minka from the throne she had more than earned. These emotions swiftly calmed however as he thought about Raela's role in all of it. He couldn't picture the peaceful huntress turning against her matriarch and wrongfully ousting her. Yet he could see her taking her leave; they would most likely extend an olive branch, hoping to make an ally of Round Stone Crest, perhaps even settling close by. But it wouldn't be enough for Gent. He wanted more of her than that.

He could see her now, legs in motion to carry her at a steady gait toward some goal unbeknownst to him. She didn't seem to have noticed him, and so as he closed the distance between him Gent spoke up.

"Raela, wait up! I need to talk to you, privately..."
(This post was last modified: Jun 01, 2015, 06:58 PM by Gent.)
Played by Jenandra who has 438 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Raela Lieris Asurn
Tagged Minka just for notice of Rae's activities as of late. :3

Raela's chosen task was one the girl found herself taking part in more and more frequently since the birth of the Crest's new heirs. The woman was developing a familiarity with hunting, even an affinity with the task she had been so vehemently denied back home. Home. No, that word was completely wrong. This was home. This was more of a home than she had ever been afforded. This is home, this is my family. Those pups are my family. Such thinking led her out into the woods of the surrounding hills time and time again. She would not let these pups feel as she had. Never. So early on, this meant patrolling the borders often, and hunting for the Alphess and mother the rest of the time. Rae provided many meals for @Minka; she was a regular sight around the den when meat was clutched tightly between her fangs. 

So was Gent though, and the observant girl had taken notice of the dark-furred wolf's affinity and protectiveness toward the little ones since the days before their birth. In a way she was grateful to have such a formidable wolf at the birthing den so often; she knew his mettle by how quickly he'd ascended the ranks, and by how fiercely he and Aeus had fought. The man was certainly no pushover. Still the girl worried about his ambition. Such speed and persistence had the potential to speak for a darker side; one that craved power above all else. It was something Rae had pondered about her partner since their meeting with Kajika. Gent had a dark side, and there was no denying it. At least the pups seemed to be bringing out his best. She could not bear to see him act like the war-mongers from her first pack.

With thoughts much like these, the ruddy girl began making her way toward the border. She would check for dangers or breaks in the line as she made her way down; as she always did. The girl hadn't made it quite to the edge of their domain before her ever attuned senses gave away the proximity of the very man who was so occupying her worried mind. His scent carried easily on the breeze today, but she wasn't able to discern how close the great ebony brute was. What was apparent was the fact that he was approaching. His distant and faint pawsteps thumped into her sensitive eardrums. There was no attempt at stealth here. Confident that he posed no threat, she took another sweep of the landscape with her ever brilliant golden eyes. The appraisal turned up no prey, and no threats, thankfully.

The girl turned to face the swarthy character as he spoke, still moving forward and revealing himself from behind the foliage. The subordinate stood still as he commanded, her expression curious. Gent seemed anxious, or perhaps just extra serious. His demeanor only worried her further, but of other things. Swiftly her fears were laid to rest, but replaced only with confusion. Clearly there was no emergency, but something obviously troubled the man. Her face devoid of the usual greeting smile, Raela's words came quickly. ”Gent what is it?” She spoke in a hushed tone that oozed concern. Her eyes searched his face for some clue as to what on earth was wrong, but of course only speech could truly clarify. 

Image © Chris Smith Photography
Manipulation © Jenandra
            [Image: 1HGS6dy.png]
[Image: AsFM155.png]
Played by Staff who has 4,811 posts.
Shallow water has trapped several fish in a small pond. Hunt Opportunity
Inactive No Rank
Gent Lieris
Gent slowed considerably as he drew near, picking his way through the brush and clustered tree trunks with an almost thoughtful nature. What was truly preoccupying him was how to approach this conversation that he wanted to have. He had been so focused on the questions, he hadn't fully formulated his plan for getting answers. The man fell into step with his company, halting completely at her side. Glacial optics lifted to meet her golden gaze, so thickly laced with worry that it touched his small heart.

Despite the time he'd spent in her service and at her side, Gent still did not know nearly as much about Minka as he wished to. Their conversations either revolved around tasks needing done, the cubs, or small talk that didn't give either wolf a peek into each other's thoughts and true personalities. Raela, on the other hand, through their interactions had been much easier to see deeper within. And from what he had seen, Gent knew that he needed Raela with him in the pack. She was a strong enough to balance him in a way that he desperately needed, filling in where his violent father had lacked. Without her support, he could quite possibly become his own undoing.

His first thoughts drifted to what he had originally wanted to speak with her about the moment he'd defeated Astraeus; he wanted her to know through his own mouth what exactly his intentions were. And a part of him needed to see trust within her eyes as told all of this, he need to know that she supported him and he knew that there was a good possibility she might not. Really, after the occasion with Kajika, all he had to rebuild their foundation was a few words and a couple of tears on her behalf. Gent couldn't blame her if that wasn't enough, but he couldn't help but hope.

"I'm going to approach Lugh today, with Minka to witness, and ask him to step down as alpha."

Once it was out, his tongue froze there. Of course she already would have all but known it as fact, but she didn't know a lick about his motivation. And yet the words to explain it all didn't come to mind. Abruptly, his next thought transferred immediately from mind to vocal chords to air.

"How do you feel about Astraeus?"
(This post was last modified: Jun 01, 2015, 06:59 PM by Gent.)
Inactive No Rank
Raela Lieris Asurn

Thankfully, Gent's explanation came quickly; without much hesitation. It was something she'd anticipated the towering man to do after his fight with Astraeus. Why stop at second when the one holding the crown was gravely injured? Lugh would never be strong enough to be an Alpha. Rae knew little of the ruddy pelted male; only that he was a good friend to Minka and their only herbalist. It was much better for them all if a hardy beast like Gent stood atop the hierarchy, but only if his lust for power could be controlled. Her companion's speech seemed cut off; as if he truly wanted to continue but was suddenly dumbstruck.

Sensing the stall, she opened her maw a little to cut the growing silence. Gent abruptly picked up the ball himself, dropping a strange and prying question on her shoulders. How did she feel? The girls eyes and expression clouded over with confusion. What kind of question is that? She'd no experience with “romance” or what it really meant to be in love. No one had ever asked her about such things before. Taking the question the only way she could, The girl tipped her head to the side a bit. “How do I feel about him? He's my friend, I like him, why?” Was there some question as to her behavior with pack mates? Or was Gent opposed to the idea of her friendship with the chocolate male after their rivalry had developed? Was she now supposed to gainsay their friendship? Now her orbs held a suspicious glint beneath the waves of puzzlement. What on earth was he getting at?

Manipulation © Jenandra
Inactive No Rank
Gent Lieris
He clearly caught her off guard, and her reaction was both naive to the inquiry's true purpose and somewhat apprehensive as to what he might be getting at. This combination caused him yet another moment of hesitation as he considered how to continue and answer her returning question. The possibility of her being oblivious to any possibility of blossoming romance had not occurred to him, though now he considered it a very viable option. Perhaps Aeus was alone in his ambitions, perhaps Raela truly only saw him as a friend. For now. Worse yet than thinking of how their interactions might develop into something deeper, was the inkling that she might simply be lying to him as she thought that her relationship with others was none of his business. And under normal circumstances, it wouldn't be. However as things were, this was far too important for him to allow trivial courtesies to stand in his way.

After a shifting of his paws, Gent gave a split second of his time to mildly wonder why he was so intent on keeping her with him if she was so talented at making him feel thoroughly uncomfortable.

"Just a friend? Or is there more there?" he pressed, sharp ice blue eyes forever locked upon her visage, drinking in every little inflection she betrayed to the world.

His mind continued to reel as the determined silence once more pressed down and filled the space between them. What would he do, if she was to say yes, there were more intimate feelings? Did he truly have any sway with her at all, much less enough to ground her here within the rolling timbers and keep her out of reach from Astraeus' gravity? The man couldn't help but doubt it. Trying may even damage the bond they had, perhaps opening his mouth at all had been a grave mistake.

"I don't want you to leave," he admitted with suddenness, immediately clenching his fangs shut to suppress a low-noted whine, refusing to allow it to travel out to the air and into Raela's ears.
"I need you with me."
(This post was last modified: May 29, 2015, 08:57 PM by Gent.)
Inactive No Rank
Raela Lieris Asurn

Again the deafening silence grew. Gent was apparently unwilling to answer her question right away; she even went so far as to think it was not the answer he wanted or expected. Now visibly as confused and uncomfortable as she, the large brute shifted his weight absently. Then his piercing gaze hit her square on yet again, suspicion practically spilling from his voice and expression. More? She had to remove her eyes, flicking them about as her thoughts attempted something of organization. More than friends is love, right? Was he asking that? She knew so little of that kind of love; catching only brief descriptions and glances of what it truly meant in the loners she happened across those months ago. It was supposed to be friendship – but more. More. Just as he'd said. What was the more? The little extra waves of anxiety she felt when Aeus focused on her? That didn't happen with others, but wasn't that just her unstable nerves? When did caring about a friend's well-being morph over into “love?” She certainly cared about his state more than she did the others. 

Profoundly puzzled by this line of thinking, she glanced back to Gent with the confusion plastered all over her face. She wanted to say “no” but, was that wrong? He continued his scrupulous stare, making her swallow uncomfortably and chase her eyes away again. “I...” The shaky utterance had barely made it into the air before her interrogator spewed out an even more concerning string of words. Her expression melted, ears rising with concern. The tone of his voice was so low and, ...frightened even. It was unlike him. She could recall a similar moment from their discussion before, but he'd not been so weak as he appeared now. The man's tightened jaw spoke of witheld emotions, hastily covered cracks in the wall. Leave? Why would she leave? And what did this have to do with... 

The pieces fell into place as she stared at him. Realization painted itself plainly in her eyes. Those loners she spoke to – many had fled packs with their beloved to have pups. Only the Alphas had children; they alone had the rights to breed. It was a clear and stone-etched law in a wolf's very culture, and even harsher so in her natal pack. There pups were produced only for the sake of strength, not love. Love was attachment, weakness. But oh how it had warmed her heart to hear of the packs who created life out of love and love alone. Little Kino, Mariana, Draven, each was a product of love she had the fortune to bear witness to. She relished in everything about pups; but her own? And running away with Aeus to have them when she'd just found refuge last winter?

The message was clear but the words still fumbled in her shaken mind. “Gent, I don't want to leave.” Every syllable was as sincere and kind as she could muster. “I just got here. I don't ever want to be on my own again.” Now her very heart opened itself to the somberly slouching black wolf. “I like puppies, I love them but... I haven't even considered my own.” Looking away now in thought, her head hung lower in silent apology and shame for making him worry so much. “I do like Aeus a lot, but I don't know if it's love or, whatever it is yet.” Would I even know? she pondered flatly. The whole ordeal was too much to really consider all at once, and it left her spinning. Did Aeus think that way? Did it happen at the same time? It sure sounded like it from the stories she heard. Forcing another few sentences from her mouth, the subordinate looked up again. “I don't want to be a loner again, and I don't want to try my hand at true leadership yet either. With puppies it's one or the other. I don't know if I could even handle the stress of being an Alpha,” she admitted with downcast eyes. Gent seemed prepared to do it, chasing it even. The notion caused a final question to slip from her throat. “Aren't you nervous about it?”

Manipulation © Jenandra
Inactive No Rank
Gent Lieris
Every inch of him hated being in this position. Each bit of it felt foreign and he didn't think he'd ever become familiar with it. Again he was made to wonder why he let her put him into situations such as this, but really was she the one behind it? Realistically, he was doing this to himself. Yet he felt as though there wasn't many choices being given to him. What had happened to the confidence he'd been so high on as a youth? He had never before doubted his ability to be a leader, to be on top, so why now was he allowing his success to hinge on someone else? Was it realization of a truth, or denial of something deeper? Was it even a need at all, or was he just torturing himself because for once, he might not be able to hold on to something that he wanted?

Her answer did nothing to sate him, but what more could he expect of her? She couldn't promise the future to him, no one could. The only one who could make something happen for himself, was himself. Would he consider that an option if something did develop between Raela and Aeus? Would he have any means to hold her down, much less means he was willing to pursue?

She attempted to turn the conversation back to him, following her own train of thought that seemed to be driven by questions just as his was. His eyes had drifted to the ground when she began speaking, when he knew her answer wouldn't be what he had wanted to hear. There was a moment of silence before he was ready to answer, and then pale blues lifted once more to meet her face.

"It might be too soon. There's... so many moving parts, and..." his gaze wavered for a moment, as though searching the ground for what he wanted to say next, before lifting again. "It has to be perfect. I can't make any mistakes."
Inactive No Rank
Raela Lieris Asurn

Her heart began to sink; following her friends eyes on their sorrowful path to the ground. She was trying to make him feel better; but outright lying to the man wasn't something she could bring herself to do. Puppies weren't out of the question forever – who knew what fate would have in store for the girl? Right now though, it wasn't remotely on the woman's mind. She thought her answer would have quieted his rushing thoughts, but it seemed nothing short of a complete denial would do. Accepting that she could do little more in the way of words to repair his depressed state, she settled into listening as the cracks in his ever-confident demeanor grew wide enough to let her in.

He was unsure after all. The woman's soft eyes hardened a bit, reflecting  the seriousness of this business. Internally she was impressed of how thorough he appeared to be in his consideration of politics and pack dynamics. Truly it was nothing she ever wished to get involved with, though her position as one of the pack's thirds was an important one. Some politics would inevitably find her at such a height; but not until more females joined the group. Raela's sunshine eyes thickened as the gears turned in her head. Tokino had not been gone very long, but there was no reason to mourn his death to the point that it weakened their group. They needed another Alpha, and their current one didn't exactly reek of confidence and strength; amiable as he was. 

She would feel better with Gent in charge, seeing as Aeus had lost his chance. Gent's temper had clearly simmered down since their discussion, and she was beginning to think that she would have an influence on his actions, Alpha or not, should he turn into a monster again. Here he was begging her to stay by his side; there was definitely an emotional and understanding animal under his icicle stare. Perhaps she could even advise him in his patriarchal endeavors, if he allowed it. The silence grew again, forcing the girl to extemporize somewhat on the matter. “You know there have to be mistakes somewhere, there always are.” Her voice flowed gently toward the swarthy wolf, expressing as much sympathy and concern for his predicament as she could. “Just make sure you never panic, like me.” Raela smiled now at her own folly. Just because she knew what she ought to do, didn't mean she always could. “Admit it to them and they'll respect you for it; as long as you waste no time fixing it.” The words were candid; spoken casually as a simple truth instead of some revalation. It was more reassurance than anything. Her mind drifted to the men he had to climb to get where he was now. Surely there was some resentment there. She doubted however that Minka would hold any serious objections to the Lieris man assuming the throne. 

Her expression and voice melted like butter as the next string of words formed on her tongue. “I'm sure not everyone is ecstatic that you're going to be an Alpha, but if it means anything, I support you.” Letting her words sink in, the russet-coated girl watched his reaction before continuing. “They'll come around eventually if you lead well, but you and I both know some desire leadership and leadership only. ” She didn't feel that more was necessary on the subject; Gent was no fool. His position was coveted and hard one – but he'd proved his capability.  Finally answering his first statement directly, the woman straightened her posture. “In all honesty I don't think it's too soon. We need another leader, and Tokino isn't coming back. There's no reason for the pack to weaken in his absence; I'm sure he wouldn't have wanted that. He probably wouldn't want the burden of leadership to fall on Minka alone either.” She thought to mention the herbalist turned Alpha, but it was unnecessary. He couldn't have bested any of those below him in his current state; it was seniority that handed him the title, and that wasn't enough. 

Manipulation © Jenandra
Inactive No Rank
Gent Lieris
Gent pulled his hind legs in to recline upon them, sensing that there would be much to discuss regardless of his companion's answers. He'd never before had a confidant, someone to turn to and recite his inner thoughts, someone to think aloud with. He'd barely had any genuine conversations in his life once he'd left his father's domain, the closest thing being the talks he and Chulyin had used to dull the boredom of their scouting trips together back when he was a servant of the Keep. He found that it was incredibly soothing, even when she wasn't saying quite what he wanted her to. Just for her to be there, to care about what was said and the impact of it, to be just as preoccupied with it all as he was meant a great deal and worked to ease his mind.

He continued to watch her face as it was her turn to speak, drinking in every little twitch of emotion and thought. She thought mistakes were acceptable, but he firmly disagreed. Perhaps she didn't realize how absolute all of this was for him, or perhaps he was just a bit of a perfectionist. Whatever it was, he didn't see the harm in letting that facet slip away, temporarily shrugging off the pressure as she advised. As she continued, her vouch of support did indeed mean something to him. In a way, it meant everything to him. A soft smile curved his black lips, but only for a second before it disappeared to leave him somber-faced once more. The logic that she spoke with was very pleasing to the blue black ambitionist, urging him to speak more with her for he couldn't deny that he wholeheartedly trusted her as she stood now. Trusted her enough to be blunt with her.

"I don't trust Astraeus. He's not the only one, but he can take the most away from me," he said, not feeling it was necessary now to elaborate on what he could steal from under Gent's nose; his title, Minka and the children, and of course Raela. A moment's pause as he thought more about what to tell her of his concerns, before his voice hardened slightly and he decided to spread it all out on the ground between them.

"He already acts like he owns you, Raela," he spoke out of his observations, recalling several occasions and most memorably their trio exploration where Aeus had tried not to allow Gent to even walk next to the woman. "What do you think would come of Minka if he became alpha? Would he leave you behind, or would he oust her to have you at his side instead? I can't allow it to happen. Which leaves his only option of taking you away. All of your answers, they all end in yet... and I know that's the best you can give me. I can't force you to lockdown your future, would never ask you to. I just... want you to know, to really understand; I can't do this without you.

You're the light I need, Raela."
(This post was last modified: Jun 01, 2015, 06:57 PM by Gent.)