(See All?) Announcements
768 Users Online
Viorel, Google, Bing

picking down clocks — Larkcall Lowlands 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Switch who has 145 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Remington
@Askan takes place November 15th but I don't mind if others join.
Somethin' bad about to happen

The tundra was quite unlike her home. Where there was a creek, mountains, and trees for miles. Here she could see from one horizon to the other. She felt so exposed... Often, her dark yellow eyes seeking landmarks to retain. Over the last couple weeks, she had visited it often. Wondering where it would finally end. But, with a meal gained she didn't feel the need to move on just yet. There was signs two packs roamed these lands, and she was curious. In her mind she pictured they were families, long tied to their grounds. But, she was smart enough that she wasn't compelled to go poking around where they lived. The silver tongue was not sure if she wanted to commit so quickly to pack, nor if one should have interest in a young loner during the winter. For now she planned to find dinner, and perhaps head further south.

Beneath a cloudy sky, she ventured alone, her nose breathing deep, sorting through the various scents. One caught her attention. Similar to elk and moose, but when her eye finally settled the creatures she paused. It looked like neither, but had a formidable pair of antlers, and long legs. A mixture of colors. Their herd was quite large, and did not tempt her in the least. Maybe, the caribou herd knew, because they paid little mind to the single figure. Rem kept her steady pace least they get bored, and feel the need to react. She couldn't help wonder how many wolves would be needed to take it down. If it bellowed like an elk, and how fast it could run. If there was so many of them because they were not often hunted. A quick sigh, she kept up her search, catching the faintest trail of a shrew. Nothing better to do, she took her time figuring where exactly it had gone.

Played by Alice who has 1,273 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Perched atop a rocky outcrop, Askan watched the caribou herd graze and wander by, seemingly oblivious to his presence. His sharp eyes scanned the crowd, looking for the weak and vulnerable, for a target worth pursuing. After several moments of silent observation his eyes narrowed in on a cow, who limped along, struggling to keep up with the herd.Her sides heaved, she clearly was in pain, but she continued nonetheless for she knew that if she stopped she'd be left behind.

As enthralling as the scene before him was, Askan had no intention of bringing the cow down. He was strong, there was no doubt about that, but even he knew that it took several wolves to bring down a cow. And as easy as it would be to call for his fellow pack mates, he didn't. They had eaten a large meal the other day, even looking at the caribou wasn't enough to make his stomach rumble. If anything, it made him feel nostalgic

After all, his family were renowned caribou hunters. Their prowess and skill was undeniable. So seeing the creatures in such high numbers was bound to remind the Yukon wolf of home, even if he didn't want it to.

As he watched them, Askan couldn't help but notice a slight shift in atmosphere. It wasn't quite fear... Caution perhaps? Or at least an awareness of the fact that something was nearby and maybe it might conspire to harm them. Had they noticed him? He doubted it. The wind was blowing in his favour and his dark pelt enabled him to blend in with the craggy scenery. So what then?

His eyes searched for movement and moment later he spotted it, or rather them. A lone wolf was the cause of their concern. Not enough of a threat to warrant a dramatic response, but it was clear that they knew the wolf was there and they did not exactly welcome it's presence. By that point, Askan knew it wasn't unusual to see a loner wandering its way through the Lowlands, and as long as they didn't get to close to the Field's borders then they weren't his problem.

He had better things to do than harass every loner he came across, but it was hard to ignore their presence considering that he was such a nosy sod. That he made it his business to know who came and went, where they were going and why they were here. This was neutral land, so they weren't in the wrong. And the Field's borders were far enough away that the scent was barely noticeable, even if the wind blew in the right direction. But as stated before, Askan was unwilling to be left in the dark. So he clambered down from his rocky seat and galloped over to the stranger. Once he was at a conversational distance, he spoke.

"You planning on hanging around here long?"He asked, in his usual tactless, biting tone.

(This post was last modified: Dec 30, 2016, 04:20 PM by Askan.)
[Image: kana_pixel_by_marthypie-dcn3i8m.gif]
[Image: se_sig_by_becuffin-dbuushz.png]
Inactive No Rank
Remington

The bumbling noise of someone approaching brought her into a protective hunch. Quickly she turned to see it was not the prey, but a black and tan wolf. A large one at that. He spoke before approaching her. Ever slightly, she stood a little taller, though naturally kept her chin down. She did not easily trust. Here, she had no one but herself to rely upon. While young, she was not stupid.

"I haven't decided," she answered with ease. She didn't have much reason to stay. Though, could he really tell by a glance she didn't belong to a pack? Then again, it was probably her scent that had given it away. Nothing, but herself and the landscape she'd crossed clinging to her silver pelt. She assumed he must live around here to throw a question like that. But, assumptions were just that.

"You live in these lands?" Why the words felt dumb leaving her mouth, there was need for them. He could live further north or south. Maybe, he was on his own just recently. Her father always taught her to get the truth, even if things were obvious. She could not yet pick up his scent. The wind wasn't in her favor, and he hadn't closed the gap.

[Image: se_by_a_yellow_bird-dc2z4ij.png]
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

At first, the stranger seemed cagey, hesitant and on edge. But her demeanour soon changed as she gathered her wits and managed to respond in cool, almost laid back manner. Askan's first instinct was to be suspicious, as he response was rather vague, she wasn't giving him much to go on. But really, it was understandable, wasn't it? It was wise to keep your motivations close to your chest and out of sight, revealing them to a stranger just because they asked was a naive move. She was being cautious, but honest. Telling him enough but not all.

"Fair enough." Askan responded, content to accept her response.

The silence between them did not last long. This time the loner was asking the questions and Askan was the recipient. He wasn't sure if he liked having the tables turned on him, after all he preferred to be the one in control. But it was a fair question, a natural one, so Askan was willing to let it slide. It wasn't that he was feeling particularly tolerant that day, it was simply her way of speaking and carrying herself. As of yet, she hadn't done anything to deserve his ire, therefore, it was absent. There was nothing more to it.

"Yeah. My packs to the south of here, a little. Wild Rye Fields."

If she thought that he was going to offer her a place, then she would be mistaken. It wasn't that he was against to others joining, after all they needed the numbers, but it just wasn't his way. If she asked, or showed interest he'd take her to the border and introduce her to the Rye King. But she had to take the incentive, if that's what she wanted. Askan was not prone to giving hand outs. In his eyes, to be a Rye wolf meant you had to pull your weight. You had to be honest, in both words and actions. So if she was interested in joining, she would have to tell him. If she wasn't, and was just asking out curiosity then it was no skin off of his nose.

(This post was last modified: Dec 30, 2016, 04:24 PM by Askan.)
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
There is a family of deer nearby. Hunt Opportunity
Inactive No Rank
Remington

She wasn't sure why, but she figured he would contest her words. Unless it was of use to her, she didn't like to toss out information willie nillie to anybody. He seemed to understand or at least didn't find the need to push. Yes, two could play at that. Rem didn't mind pushing buttons when she found them should the need arise.

A silver outlined ear turned just so. Thoughtfully, taking in the mention of his pack. Eyes his way, but not directly upon him. It didn't mean a lot to her. Just a name to a place he belonged. She stowed it away, in case it would be of use. At least she had a name, and a place in mind. While she was starting to think she should settle before she got too scraggly, she wanted to make a thoughtful choice. It was better to be on her own than stuck in another miserable predicament. "Your pack?" Silver face shifted in question. "As in the one you belong to or lead?" He had said my, but that didn't exactly give hint of in what way he meant. He didn't look the part of a leader, but it didn't mean he wasn't. Again, clarification was always nice.

She let out a soft huff, nose crinkling, there was something else on the wind, teasing her. Naturally, she took a step, trying to decipher it. Temporarily forgetting her company. It had to be deer, but they must be a long way off. Her stomach pinched. Swiftly, she returned her attention to the man. A half sheepish smile for momentarily getting lost in thought. "I'm Remington, and you?"

(This post was last modified: Dec 29, 2016, 10:38 PM by Remington.)
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

She certainly was a curious one wasn't she? Not that Askan minded too much. If their roles were reversed Askan certainly would have done his best to learn what he could from her, to gather some information in case he needed it later. But at this question, her expression shifted. Her gaze was sharp and critical, as though she were sizing him up, judging his worth. What, did she think he didn't look like an alpha? That he wasn't capable? Askan squinted with thinly veiled annoyance. It wasn't as though he aspired to be an alpha, he was more than content to follow the Rye King and Queen. But he didn't like the insinuation that he couldn't. He firmly believed he could do anything if he put his mind to it, so of course he was offended by her doubt.

Askan held his head high, but it didn't amount to much. The difference in their height was slight, so minimal it was barely worth mentioning. He knew that size wasn't everything, and that he wasn't small by anyone's standards but... It was ridiculous that such a thing was enough to get under his skin, but it did. And that in itself irritated the rye wolf.

"I'm the King's second, a founding member."

Even now he felt honoured that Drestig would allow him to be his second. He knew that it was simply due to the fact that he had been recruited first but he was sure that he could have moved Icicle up a rank if he'd wanted to. But he hadn't, the alpha's trusted him, and the fact that he had worked to earn that trust made him feel good. Better about himself at the very least. Which in turn helped him simmer down, stopped him from getting too irritated at the loner. Even if she had brought it on herself and deserved it, or so Askan thought.

"Askan Selwyn." He offered his name easily enough, a few seconds after she had given him her own.

Her name was certainly wasn't the sort he heard everyday, but it hardly warranted a comment or any other sort of acknowledgement. If anything, he was distracted by the fact that a moment ago, before she offered her name, something caught her attention. She had paused, pointed her nose to the wind and sniffed. Had she caught the scent of other Rye wolves? The Whitestone wolves? Or something else perhaps? Askan followed suit, out of curiosity. A few scents lingered on the wind, but nothing was potent enough to grab his attention. So he continued without a care.

"Well, my pack is pretty laid back so you won't get any trouble from us." Unless she strayed into their lands without a good reason, but that was a given. "But I figured I should warn you about the pack up north." He pointed with his snout at the vague grey shape in the distance. "They're territorial as hell. Think they own the place, so I'd stay clear if I were you."

(This post was last modified: Dec 30, 2016, 04:27 PM by Askan.)
Inactive No Rank
Remington

The black-silver wolf didn't seem to take pleasure in her scrutiny. She wanted to try to be careful not to insult the wrong fella out here. Winter could get pretty dire. She had to force her lips to remain still at his sudden adjustment in stance. It reminded her of her brothers too much.

A King? That was a new one. She never really thought of anyone in that way. Father had been Alpha, but he would have laughed at the idea of being called King. Then again their pack had mostly been his children and a few others that had become fast friends with her dad. It would be something to meet a King. See if he lived up to the title. Was their pack that big?

More importantly, she paid mind to him being his second. By the way he spoke, as a founding member there was definitely pride. Slowly seeing a little more of this stranger. Huh. It was interesting to her how loyal he must be. She'd never think she'd feel that way for another, or anything really. She wondered if he did a lot to help out this King. He must have to have such a place. Saying oh, wasn't exactly polite. There needed to be more than that. Her mother had told her so. Much she hated feeling her mother was right, oh wouldn't do."Then I guess I can see why your leader and pack mean so much to you when you put it that way," she delicately spoke with a brief smile. "You sound like you'd do anything for them."

Without much effort he continued to share. It sounded a pretty nice place despite being ruled by a King. Face lit in surprise, he went as far to offer her advice about the other pack. She wasn't sure she'd take his word for it, but she would heed it none the less. It was nice of him to mention it. "Geeze, those types are a bit overkill...thanks for the warning." She would probably be cautious if she went that way just in case. But, she wondered....

"Do you think your King would accept someone like me?" A laid back pack may be just the thing. "I'm young, but I'm fairly good hunter."

(This post was last modified: Dec 29, 2016, 10:57 PM by Remington.)
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Askan couldn't help but be impressed by Remington. Not only did she have keen powers of observation, but there was also a sharp, refined mind behind those bright yellow eyes. Her words were careful, as though she was making an effort to be polite, and yet Askan didn't feel as though she was being dishonest or manipulative. She was simply conducting herself in a respectable manner, but by no means was she licking his boots. It was fine line to walk, a difficult balance to maintain and yet she did it with such ease, as though it came naturally to her. He was almost jealous, but not quite.

"I would." Askan agreed with a firm nod, his eyes burning with resolve as he stared off into the distance.

The fact that she took his word so easily, without pressing for more information, further improved his opinion of the lone wolf. He nodded, pleased, and had been about to speak when she posed a question that immediately caught his interest.  Playing it cool, Askan slowly turned to face her and took a moment to consider the question, as though it was something he had to think about. In reality, it wasn't a difficult question to answer. Drestig was many things, but picky was not one of them. Months ago, when he had been gathering pack mates to help form Wild Rye Fields, he hadn't exactly been choosy. If anything, he had been the exact opposite. As long as they were a wolf and had a pulse, he was happy to let them join. Now,Askan could understand why, they needed the numbers to protect their land and survive the winter but... There was nothing wrong with being selective. They couldn't just let anyone in willy-nilly and expect everything to go along swimmingly. It was a recipe for disaster.

Remington on the other hand... Well, Askan didn't feel as though letting her in would do them any harm, and the way he saw it they weren't in any position to turn down a skilled hunter. Especially considering winter was fast approaching.

"I reckon so, but I can't make any promises." As much as he didn't mind her, he couldn't be certain that the same could be said for the Rye King and Queen. She would have to find that out for herself, he wasn't going to hold her hand and show her the way. "How about this, the border is that way" he pointed with his snout "it's well marked, you can't miss it. Go announce yourself. Be polite. And answer whatever questions they have for you as honest as you can. Think you can do that?"

(This post was last modified: Dec 30, 2016, 06:21 PM by Askan.)
Inactive No Rank
Remington

Were her manners working? At home, her mother would have scoffed at her efforts. Telling her they were too forced, and rigid. Was it better because she actually cared what he thought instead? That was a loaded question she shoved to the dark corners of her mind.

With no trouble he affirmed her statement, her intuition. Interesting. She'd always tried to live by her gut, and had been proven right. It helped her feel more confident in her wanderings. For a moment she tried to picture this field, and the pack in it. She imagined they must have been together for some time for such a vow. She wondered if her brothers felt so passionately about Crow Creek, but she was highly doubtful of that. They didn't care for it like her, or Sica... They only cared they called the shots now. She'd never understand why they had rocks for brains. Mother said they'd change, but she figured they had no reason to.

Now, she didn't care to find out if they ever did. She was on her own path now, and had dropped a question that might change it. After it fell she almost held her breath. But, it would be a tell, and so instead a single ear pivoted, if listening to make sure they were alone. As if his answer wouldn't carry much weight. Then she waited what felt like a long moment where fate could clap its greedy hands in glee and cause her pain or joy. The loner wondered if she wore a thin disguise, or perhaps this King was a lot more picky than she had presumed.

Rather business like he spoke a single sentence, and her ears crept forward. She kept her silver poker face, knowing there was more. He offered her direction in both where to go, and how to be. Oh Lord. The words he had chosen, did they have to hit home? It was every way she would have been told. Instead of anger or anxiety she found an easy grin slipping fourth. "I think I can manage." Then with a tip of her head, excused herself to head south the fields to test herself, and her luck.

{exit}