253 Users Online
Bing, Google

As promised — Wild Rye Fields 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Alice who has 1,273 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
for @Lyris and my fave old man @Drestig Takes place right after this thread

Hauling the carcass along, Askan led the way and crossed the invisible boundary into the field. Sure, he could have stopped at the border but what was the point of that? He led her here so she might as well come in, rather than stand around at the edge like an unwelcome guest. If things went well, she'd be let in anyway. Dropping their catch to the ground, Askan stretched his sore jaw. It would fade in time but it felt a little stiff, it was definitely worth it though, he'd bought home a grand prize, one he was sure his alpha would appreciate.

"I'm going to call him now." Askan told her, once he'd rubbed at his jaw with a paw. "Remember what I said?" He waited for an affirmation and once he got it, he tilted his head to the sky and let out a beckoning call.

As always, he never demanded Drestig's presence, he simply requested it. But this time his howl carried an intriguing note, a promise that he had bought something the elder would like. And whilst he was sure Drestig wouldn't mind seeing a new recruit, he had a feeling that he would appreciate the doe even more. Askan was eager to receive a little bit of praise for his hard work, but even more so to make up for all the hassle he had caused. He simply wanted to thank Drestig for giving him so many chances, for not throwing him out on his arse when so many others would have.

"Shouldn't be long." Askan informed Lyris as he plonked himself down. If he was going to wait, he might as well get comfortable, right?

(This post was last modified: Jan 20, 2017, 01:20 AM by Askan.)
[Image: kana_pixel_by_marthypie-dcn3i8m.gif]
[Image: se_sig_by_becuffin-dbuushz.png]
Played by Killi who has 36 posts.
Inactive
Lyris Cantata

I mentioned in my last post in our previous thread that Lyris was quiet the whole way, but that's all right! Just letting you know. :)  

Their journey wasn't incredibly long, but by the time they reached the fields, Lyris was exhausted. She was silently glad that Askan had refused to let her help him drag the carcass along; had he agreed, she probably would have passed out by now. But they had reached their destination in any case. Askan was a strong male, and it did not surprise her that he had traveled with his burden all the way to Wild Rye Fields without a single complaint. She admired him for that, and her attraction to him grew.

They stopped at the invisibly marked territory. Askan addressed her, his words a firm reminder of how she would behave. She nodded silently. She found his tone to be a little annoying, as if he expected her to forget politeness, a value that she had been raised upon and that she knew well. Had she not shown him that she was kind, and polite, too? Then the girl remembered her hasty decision to instigate the hunt without his signal, and figured that this was why he was so quick to remind her what to do.

Regardless, the process proceeded. He lifted his muzzle and opened his powerful jaws, emitting his beautiful wolfsong into the sky. Lyris was awed by the noise, as any wolf would be. Howling was part of their nature, something to be enjoyed no matter what its purpose was. The call faded into silence and it was time to wait. Askan sat back on his haunches and Lyris followed suit, leaning on one hip with her hind paw tucked beneath her. It may have been a lazy move for a newcomer seeking acceptance, but she was tired, and ready to stand when the leader of these lands arrived.

Played by Staff who has 4,811 posts.
There are several fresh rabbit tracks in the mud. Hunt Opportunity
Played by PuppyThief who has 538 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Drestig Avalon

Another day, another howl, that seemed to be the routine since Jessie had gone on her journey. Figures he would be getting all the extra work while he was juggling leadership on his own. But the elder man would not complain, recruits were a welcome sign to them all, more strength to hunt and defend themselves; Which we might very well need… Though he sorely hoped he would not be taking in stragglers, only to lead them into battle. He was raising a family, not an army, and most of these loners were young, the last thing he wanted was to make their lives as rough and unfriendly as his one youth had been. But all of these thoughts were keeping him from the issue at hand, Askan's call at the borders, and the alpha quickly shook the worries from his mind, setting off at a lope to make up for his wasted time.

The second had been hard at work, bringing home many a possible new member, along with additions for the caches. Drestig couldn't be more pleased with him, and he intended to inform Jessie of all these accomplishments when she returned. No doubt her reprimand was still playing in his mind, perhaps spurring on these actions in an attempt to make good on those transgressions. In the male leaders eyes, he had more than made up for what was, in essence, a misunderstanding which had been repaid only with malice. But again that was not the issue of today, rather it was the young woman who sat beside the guardian and – Drestig assumed – their mutual kill.

Coming to a halt before the doe and her killers, the silvered wolf smiled at Askan, tail giving a casual wag. "Well, well, well, isn't this a spectacle?" His voice had a common, jovial inflection, one brow arching at his second; "Looks like you have learned a thing or two." Graying muzzle motioned at the carcass at the quip – a good natured teasing about how Askan himself had come to join what was now Wild Rye Fields – before he turned his full attention to the stranger, still smiling broadly. She was, well she almost took his breath away, looking not unlike Askan in coloring, though much more lanky; She looked like his daughter. Hell he half wanted to call @Phoenix there on the spot to make a side by side comparison. Sure, there were differences: the eyes, the lack of white on her chest and face, but though they were probably a year apart in age, they were similar in stature. Finally the king managed to greet the girl properly, an airy humor in his voice; "Apologies, name's Drestig Avalon. I'm the leader of Wild Rye Fields." He bowed his head lightly to the youngster, a new softness to his smile as he continued: "I take it you helped Askan here take down this prize?"

Word count: 484

Thoughts ”Speech”

pride12
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
Killi , ignore the PM I sent! I got this XD

Askan couldn't help but huff a little in amusement at Drestig's teasing words. Anyone else and he would have gotten all prickly, he would have resented the insinuation but it seemed as though Askan had a soft spot for Avalons. They had done so much for him, welcomed him into their family, he couldn't help but like them, even if he didn't show it all that well. Or at least in the same way most other's did. The Old Man was right though, Askan had learned a thing or two during his time in Relic Lore. He'd entered not being able to bring anything down on his own, not even a measly mouse but there he was, having brought down a deer on his own. More or less. He wasn't going to mention it had been sick.

The alpha then turned his attention to Lyris and Askan cast her a quick look, as though to warn her to be on her best behaviour. It wasn't as though she had been all that difficult, but a good first impression was key if she wanted in. Not that Drestig was so particular or difficult, he couldn't be as Askan was still here, wasn't he?

The Rye wolf noticed Drestig's lingering gaze and he wondered what was on the Rye King's mind. He didn't look concerned or troubled, just a little curious. That look quickly faded though and Askan wondered whether Lyris had picked up on it or not. Not that he was implying she was a fool, simply that not everyone had such sharp eyes as he did. Either way, he didn't have anything to say for now. It was Lyris' time to shine, she had to prove herself and so had to speak for herself.

Played by Killi who has 36 posts.
Inactive
Lyris Cantata

Not much time passed before the man Askan had apparently called made his appearance. Another black-phase wolf, looking similar to Askan and herself, but with  brilliant orange eyes and a grayed muzzle which betrayed his old age. He had a kind energy about him, initially addressing Askan in a teasing manner. From his words and tone, Lyris gathered that perhaps Askan had crossed him in the past. If that were the case, then she was glad to have been a part of the younger male's impressing his leader by bringing home a kill and a potential pack member.

The old man introduced himself as Drestig, then proceeded to ask her about her purpose in Wild Rye Fields. She glanced towards her hunting partner and found him gazing right back, and in his eyes was warning, another reminder that she needed to behave herself. Now that she was in the presence of the alpha, Askan's eyes were not as irritating as before. Drestig, despite his merry demeanor, intimidated her. She realized suddenly that he essentially had the authority to determine whether she lived or died. If he accepted her, a new chance at life would be hers. And if not, she would be cast back into the wild, and there, she would not survive.

Lyris dipped her maw in respect, adopting a submissive posture. Yes, sir, she spoke softly, nervously. She cleared her throat and continued. My name is Lyris, of what formerly was the Stormvale pack, not terribly far from here. I have come seeking... seeking your acceptance. I would like to be a part of your pack. She glanced at Askan once more, as if his eyes may encourage her to continue, then returned her lemon gaze to the elder male. I can hunt fairly well, but I'm eager to practice. I will do your bidding, and give myself completely to Wild Rye Fields.

(This post was last modified: Jan 25, 2017, 10:21 PM by Lyris.)
Played by PuppyThief who has 538 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Drestig Avalon

Askan's benign reaction to the taunting was another sign of just how far he'd come, and the king smiled fondly before turning his full attention to the stranger. She introduced herself as Lyris, taking a submissive stance that made the elder man's gaze soften further. He made sure to wag his tail clearly behind him, rather than hold it high, and his ears lowered a little to ease the situation as the girl spoke. She offered a lot more than most potential joiners, and Drestig admired her honesty, though it did leave him curious about what happened to this former pack. But that was a question for later, he never demanded that kind of answers from other joiners, and he wouldn't from her. All that mattered now was her dedication to the Fields.

Nodding as she finished, the king gestured towards the carcass with a crooked smile; "I'd say this is a little more than fairly well." His tone was jovial, one brow quirking at the young woman. He would guess that the doe had been injured or sick, for her to be taken down by just the two of them, but it was still and accomplishment worth praising; "You'll be a welcome addition to our hunting parties." He glanced briefly at Askan, wondering what exactly his second had told their new recruit about the pack. Again he was left to guess, finding it best to give his usual speech; "All we ask of you is loyalty and work. We're a family here, everyone takes care of each other and look out for one another. If you are ready to be part of that, you'll be welcome here." And that was that, she had already sworn enough. Once she'd agreed to the terms, he was happy to take her in. Unless of course, Askan had anything to add, though the alpha assumed he would have spoke up by now if that was the case. Still he turned his ember gaze to the second, raising his brows questioningly; Bringing her here must mean he approves…

Word count: 344

Thoughts ”Speech”

pride12
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Askan was tempted to mention that he was the one who'd done most of the work, but he supposed he could be a decent guy and let Lyris take the glory. For once. She was a little down on her luck, a little skinny, so the least he could do was give her a chance. Maybe she would turn into a spry hunter, or maybe she wouldn't. Time would only tell. For now Askan would take a backseat and see what she was capable of. If she did screw up and make the Rye wolves regret their decisions then... They'd deal with that hurdle once/if they got there.

When the Selwyn felt Drestig's gaze move to his form, Askan merely nodded in response to his silent question.

Yes, he approved. But as soon as he didn't he'd let his feelings be known loud and clear.

For now, she was welcome to stay, to bulk up a little and play her part in the family that both Drestig and Jessie had made for themselves out in the Lowlands. By no means was living with them going to be easy and neither was Lyris going to get a free ride, but as long as she worked as part of the team then he could see no reason to kick up a fuss.

"You think you can do this?" He asked Lyris, turning to look at her as she stood by his side. "That you want to be a part of what we've made?"

It was a team effort after all, there was no denying that.