Throw me to the wolves... — Thicket of Secrets 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Flywolf33 who has 52 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Kaela Isenhold

OOC: For @Aideen and @Miccah Backdated to 3/24, the morning after this thread

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 209

She was sore. The old man hadn’t really hurt her, but her brief struggle had cost her. She was angry. She had spent the night thinking about how she would get her revenge, how she could make things even. So when dawn finally cracked – or when she thought the sun had risen behind the thick cloud cover – she made her way towards the pack borders. The blizzard had eased up, but soft flakes were still swirling down around her, weighing down her fur.

It brought her confidence. This was her season. Winter brought her strength.

As she trudged through the drifts, she thought over her story. The child and her guardian were likely to have informed their alphas of the scuffle. She wondered how this would go. She couldn’t afford another fight; it was time to play the long game.

She could be patient.

When she finally reached the scent barrier, Kaela let out a long howl, asking for the rulers of this land to meet with her. She was almost giddy, and had to remind herself she wasn’t in yet.

The voice inside of her purred. Never let this go. Never forget, never forgive.

She ignored it, instead looking forward, searching the white landscape for the form of a wolf.

"Speech" Thought

Played by PuppyThief who has 418 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Aideen Smoke-Athesila
Aideen Athesila

The mild weather, bringing whispering promises of spring just weeks ago, had shifted, sending a mass of snow down over the thickets. The cold seemed to bite extra hard, a last bitter strike before it would be definitively forced to retreat. It ached in the alphess' bones as she made her rounds, leaving her sore and irritable, at this which should otherwise be a happy time; All the signs were positive, and she felt quite certain she was carrying another litter. Of course those hormones were known to mess with an expectant mother's emotions, so perhaps she shouldn't be so hard on herself. All she wanted to do was get back and curl up in a warm den, preferably nestled against her mate.

But then the call sounded, derailing those plans. The leader paused, raising her head towards the border, flicking her ears. It would seem the howling winds had driven another straggler to their pack; I guess it can't be helped… And so the warm den would have to wait, as Aideen quickly moved to answer to summons, waving in and out between the bramble on nimble paws, soon catching sight of the stranger. With her tail waving above her back and a small smile on her face, the alphess met her visitor, nodding her head lightly. "Welcome to Secret Woodlands," she greeted warmly, pushing aside her tiredness and irritation; "I'm Aideen Athesila, female leader, how may I help you?"

Word count: 241

Thoughts ”Speech”  

Played by Mily who has 268 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Miccah Athesila

Things were going smoothly for the Woodlands, or as smooth as it could get, but it was almost like things were going too smoothly. Ever since Miccah had regained leadership due to Duckweed needing time to finally truly grieve, the dark man had jumped back into his leadership tasks with vigor. He only hoped that the man, who had become a friend to Miccah, wouldn't stay away forever and come back where he belonged - home. However, Duckweed's departure was only the first hiccup since he had regained the throne. Vasu, a new member of the Woodlands, had come to Aideen and him with disturbing news. Someone had threatened his daughter, his daughter, and though he was thankful Vasu had stepped in Miccah was still furious at his fiery daughter for jumping into the fight as well. It was stupid on her part, she wasn't even a yearling! Had she thought it was smart to possibly fight with a more experienced wolf when she was still a pup and barely experienced herself?! If she wanted to fight, she would learn to properly do so at least.

A call from the borders drew him away from his angered thoughts and what to do about his young daughter. The man had never, and would never enjoy the winter season. Weeks before, he had thought spring was on the horizon. But the cold had come back, and with it, snow. As he broke through the thickets to stand by his wife, his black banner rose as he let his wife speak. Miccah was never one for warm pleasantries, so as years before, he would stand as a silent sentry to Aideen and wait for the stranger to respond before deciding to speak himself.

"speech"

(This post was last modified: Apr 05, 2017, 02:21 AM by Miccah.)
Inactive No Rank
Kaela Isenhold

OOC:

Word Count: 290

Kaela had almost expected the alphas to keep her waiting, but she was pleasantly surprised. It wasn’t long after her call that the first member of the pack appeared. The dark wolf waiting at the border quickly adopted a respectful and submissive posture. She would need to keep her fanfaronade to a minimum for this; it wouldn’t do to get cocky. She’d already proven she wasn’t infallible.

The warm welcome also came unexpected. This was the mother of that insolent thing that had confronted her yesterday? She had to be, unless this pack followed different rules. Her partner, who was quick to join her, remained silent and neutral. Kaela felt she should keep her eye on him.

“I am Kaela.” She introduced herself politely, maintaining her submissive posture. “I have come to beg entrance to your pack. I have been wandering for a long time and would like to have a place to call home.” She hadn’t told the other two her name, so they couldn’t have reported that. She had to admit she was relieved to find that neither of her assailants were present; though they had attacked her, she knew their version of the tale couldn’t have been flattering.

She would have to be honest and tell them about the encounter; she just had to find the right words. “I have been looking for a pack for a while, but haven’t been able to find one. Maybe I just wasn’t looking hard enough.” She shifted uncomfortably, drawing upon her fear of failure to help her. She looked pleadingly up at the pair before here, blue eyes wide in desperation. “The urgency to find a family was once again pressed upon me yesterday when I was attacked without provocation while seeking shelter from the storm.”

"Speech" Thought

[Image: laughing_like_hell_by_night_fury_art-d93n45y.png]
[Image: 100ksig_by_a_yellow_bird-db3e1g4.png]
Played by Staff who has 4,811 posts.
Shallow water has trapped several fish in a small pond. Hunt Opportunity
Inactive No Rank
Aideen Smoke-Athesila
Aideen Athesila

Aideen too had been outraged to hear of her daughter's escapades, not surprised, but shocked all the same. She was grateful that @Vasu had been there to protect the foolish child, and had made sure to thank him for doing so and telling them about it right away. His description of the stranger had been filed away in the back of her mind, along with the increasing list of dangerous wolves that seemed to be popping up all around their home. At least this shewolf had been outmatched, and the mother could only thank the heavens that it had been so; A lump formed in her throat at the thought of what had happened to Bella and Duck, and how easily it could have been her own child next.

But right now her focus was on the potential joiner, not this mysterious provocateur, and she had no reason to suspect that they were one and the same. What wolf would be dim enough to try and join a pack she had already been chased from once, after all? Instead she saw the young woman as she did every wolf at their borders, a straggler looking for a home and hoping to find it in the Woodlands. She looked as they usually did, thin and tired, though perhaps less worn from the harsh weather than would have been expected; A sign of strength and good health… Aideen nodded to herself. It would be nice to have another young adult in their ranks. But that was getting ahead of herself, first she needed to get to know the woman a little better.

Paw steps in the snow alerted her moments before her mate joined them, appearing as a dark sentry at her side. The queen smiled briefly up at him, touch her shoulder to his before turning back to the stranger, nodding encouragingly as she started to speak. Head titled, russet ears flicking in polite attention, she listened to the introduction, generally following the typical pattern. Her last addition was unexpected though, and Aideen's face twisted in shock, her waving tail going still above her back; Her too? Something definitely needed to be done about these recurring incidents, but that was a discussion for later, right now she had Kaela to worry about. "I'm so very sorry, are you alright?" The healer-queen asked, eyes wide with concern; "Do you have any wounds that require treatment?" Eager to help, she stepped forwards, brows furrowed as she looked the monochrome girl over anxiously; "How far have you come? They aren't still after you, are they?" There was a mixture of worry and fierceness in her voice as she asked. If they were nearby she would gladly give them a piece of her mind, and teeth and claws too; Monsters!

Word count: 465

Thoughts ”Speech”  

Inactive Deceased
Miccah Athesila

Her words disturbed him. They disturbed him greatly. As he watched his wife easily enter into her "medic" mode, the dark man continued to watch the stranger at his borders. So she had been attacked as well? This was not good. Clearly, something needed to be done about this attacker. Could they possibly be the same wolf that had threatened his daughter and fought with her and Vasu? Or was it someone completely different?

Miccah needed to gather all the facts, and as soon as possible. The king didnt like danger lurking so close to his pack and family. Narrowing his blue gaze at the woman, he took a step forward closer to her. "Did you get a good look at your attacker?," he rumbled at Kaela. Maybe she could describe the wolf or wolves to him. He needed to know if this was a pack, or just one wolf with a temper. Whichever situation it was, Miccah was determined to think of a strategy and take care of the problem. He would do anything to protect his pack and the legacy Nina had left to him and Aideen. Nothing and nobody would tarnish it. Blood on his paws would not be a new feeling to the man.

"speech"

Inactive No Rank
Kaela Isenhold

OOC: Can we maybe try to come to a conclusion in the next few posts so I can figure out what's going on next?

Word Count: 350

As expected, the two wolves standing before reacted quickly to her mention of being attacked. She couldn’t help but wonder what the other two had told them; she supposed she would find out soon enough, anyway.

Kaela smiled appreciatively at Aideen’s questions after her health. “Fortunately I was able to get away before any real damage could be done… I’m a little sore, but luckily no skin was broken.” She glanced at her paws. The dark girl had to play this very carefully; her next words were very important, especially with the question from the so-far silent man standing with them.

She shook her head. “I don’t think so… but I don’t know. I just ran when I got away.” Kaela looked at the other alpha, answering his question next. “There were two of them. I still can’t figure out why they attacked me; I was just minding my own business trying to find somewhere to sleep when the one started shouting at me. I didn’t even know she was there until she did.”

She closed her eyes, taking a deep, nervous breath and she visualized what had happened. “I maybe wasn’t as polite as I could have been; I was cold and tired, and hungry, and here was this girl yelling at me like I did something wrong. That’s no excuse though; I try to be civil with everyone. Then he showed up. He barely even said anything before attacking me; I didn’t threaten either of them, or try to attack them. I just wanted to be left alone.” She choked back a sob and took several deep breaths to steady herself, once again closing her eyes for a brief moment. When she opened them again, she was glancing between the alphas imploringly. “I don’t see the best, especially in a blizzard, but I think she had red fur and the other one was… Grey, I think? I was honestly more concerned with escaping than anything else. I’m sorry.”

She lowered her head and ears dejectedly, sorry she couldn’t offer a better explanation. Dark blue orbs flicked back up to Aideen. “Can you help me?”

"Speech" Thought

[Image: laughing_like_hell_by_night_fury_art-d93n45y.png]
[Image: 100ksig_by_a_yellow_bird-db3e1g4.png]
Inactive No Rank
Aideen Smoke-Athesila
Sorry for holding this up. We should be good to archive with another post from each of you though (assuming @Miccah agrees).
Since Vasu is gone, we can onviniently say that he never directly IDed Kaela, but we will of course need a backdated Flair thread ;) *much drama*

Aideen Athesila

Experienced eyes scanned the young woman efficiently, noting again the slightly protruding ribs and areas of thin fur. But no obvious wounds. The girl confirmed as much, her reticent words and nervous manner going straight to the mother's heart. Aideen shook her head, lips tightly pursed as she listened, one ear flicking back as her mate spoke his own question, stepping to her side. Her brows furrowed, a quick, stern glance thrown at the dark man before her attention returned to Kaela, expression softening. "That's quite alright dear, it's good that you got away with no further harm," The medic reassured in a gentle voice, head and tail held unthreateningly low as she stepped even closer, carefully running her muzzle along the black spine and flank, double checking for bone and deep tissue damage.

Meanwhile the young woman explained the encounter to Miccah, the story causing fresh anger to rile in the petite woman's chest, though she suppressed it efficiently. Feeling the Kaela's anxious tremble, Aideen pressed her shoulder into the other comfortingly, silently condemning these tyrants who found pleasure in tormenting other wolves. The strangled sobs tore at the mother's heart, and she instinctively returned to the younger, yet taller, female's face, reaching up to press her cheek gently against the other's. "Shh… It was none of your fault dear. Don't cry, you're safe now," She continued to comfort.

Her full focus was now on soothing the poor lass, taking care of her as she would a pup, or any injured wolf she came across; This was the healer's nature. So naturally, when the stranger begged her aid, Aideen answered instantly: "Of course dear! You'll be welcome here, and no one will be able to hurt you again." Her tail waved calmly, a kind smile n her face as she nodded her head at Kaela. Then she turned her eyes to her husband, looking for his approval as well, though, how could he think differently? The poor thing! She was determined to take the monochrome girl under her wing, and the steeled look in warm-copper eyes communicated as much.

Word count: 350

Thoughts ”Speech”  

Inactive Deceased
Miccah Athesila
Slight pp of @Aideen <3
All we need is a fade from Fly and we're good to go :)

He hated this. Miccah was a man uncomfortable around tears, and as the woman began to sob retelling her story the king stepped back and let his wife take over. She was better at comforting than he would ever be. The passionate words that came from Aideen accompanied with the look his way, the man knew what she wanted from him. He couldn't very well dismiss the woman, even though there was the possibility that danger would come again to his pack. If her attackers wanted to come back and finish the job...

The king's maw tensed before he relaxed. They would solve the problem if it came to them. Right now, all the girl needed was medicine and a safe place to rest her head without worrying who would come to attack her. So, as he locked eyes with Aideen he nodded to his wife. She would be safe with them, he would guarantee it. As his wife marked and welcomed the teary woman, Miccah took his leave. He got as much information as he could from the woman at his borders, and now he needed to speak with his daughter. Again. The ever present question was - where in the world was she now?

{Miccah exit}

"speech"