(See All?) Announcements
629 Users Online
Google, Bing

Exploration in a New Area — Kettle Pot Pond 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Jenni who has 35 posts.
Inactive III. Yearling
Arnaq
Arnaq was tired, hungry and cold. The sudden blast of snow after weeks of almost spring like weather chilled her to the bone. Her fur had already started to thin out after days of basking in the sun on these beautiful plains she had stumbled across. With a patchy thick and thin coat of fur, she had to find somewhere to warm herself. Unfortunately all that lay about her, were more plains, though off in the distance the mountains and trees began to dot the land. She could only hope that once she traveled closer she could find a hollow to warm herself up in for a day or so. 

In the meantime she needed to find food and water. She sniffed the air, hoping to smell a carcass of a dead animal near by as her luck over the last few weeks has been horrible when it came to hunting. She saw a small rock off in the distance that just came out above the snow and grass and trotted over to jump onto it. Looking around she saw plains, just more plains sighing inwardly. Is there nothing around here? Nothing at all? I really should of paid better attention when they hunted. My skills lack. She laid down on her paws and glanced around as the sun began to set. The wind changed, was that water she smelled? She could find prey near water, maybe an injured or young or small anything to eat. She jumped off the stone with a different bounce to her step hoping that something was near to eat.

As she came to the water she saw that it was almost perfectly round, she had only ever seen stones in the water nearly as perfect. She sat there taking in the view, it was beautiful to say the least. As she moved closer to the water's edge she crouched low to the ground, nearly pulling her belly through the dirt. She didn't know if any other wolves would be near or any other predator for that matter. Her entire brain was focused on listening and sniffing the area as she crawled closer to the water. Once there she glanced around once more before allowing her briefest of moments to enjoy the cool refreshing taste of the water. She wondered why it was frozen over thinking to herself that maybe it was to deep or warm to freeze? Or perhaps it was frozen and thawed during that ever so respite the weather allowed for snow to finally begin to melt before it once again turned to a treacherously cold early spring. 

As she finished drinking her fill, her stomach began to growl and twist into knots, the cold water hitting an empty belly was not making her feel very good. She needed to find something, even a rodent would be better than nothing. And with that thought she moved along the shoreline heading around the body of water, towards the side that was closer towards the wooded and mountain area, hoping that she would catch some unsuspecting prey off guard.
Played by Alice who has 1,273 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

These days things were fairly quiet. Since Craw and his snake of a mate had left the Lowlands there seemed to be peace in the north. For as much as Askan didn't like the smarmy new Whitestone alpha even he had to admit that Wraith was a lot more reasonable. None of that King of the North bullshit. By no means did the Guardian ever think that they would be friends,or anything even remotely close to that, but at the very least they could be acquaintances. The sort you didn't talk to unless you had to.

So with all of that in mind, Askan felt more confident to roam the Lowlands. He didn't have to worry about getting into fights or disappointing his alpha. Everything seemed to be going well for him and his pack, and better yet from the look of things it could only get better with time. Jessie was expecting her second litter and with their current numbers-whilst they'd be a handful, no doubt- they'd be able to support and care for them all.

And so, with a yawn Askan traipsed along across the snowy tundra, until the tell tale signs of thirst began to prickle at his tongue. Having spent day upon day marching across the Lowlands he had a fairly good idea of what was where. Like where the herds tended to congregate or the location in which he'd last seen a cougar prowling around. So of course, it took him a moment or so to realise the general direction of a suitable watering hole and began to head that way.

The Lowlands were so massive and vast that more often than not he spent the whole time alone, unless he brought along company. But it seemed as though the same couldn't be said for this particular, because as he approached the pond he noticed the figure of a tawny wolf bent down as it lapped at the almost fully-frozen pond.

With a dismissive snort, Askan trotted past the lone female- he could tell as much by her scent- and circled the side of the pond till he was content with the distance between them. There, this way he could drink in peace and then continue on his way. Or at least that was what he wanted to do, planed to do even, but as always curiosity got the best of him. Curse his habit for having to want to know every damn thing that went on anywhere near his home. Ugh. Fine. He'd ask a few questions and leave.

"Oi you." Askan grumbled, once he'd finished sating his thirst.

(This post was last modified: Apr 14, 2017, 12:58 AM by Askan.)
[Image: kana_pixel_by_marthypie-dcn3i8m.gif]
[Image: se_sig_by_becuffin-dbuushz.png]
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
There is a deer that was killed by a lynx nearby. +10 Health
Inactive III. Yearling
Arnaq
Arnaq was startled by the sight of another wolf, she didn't know what to think, was it going to kill her? Should she turn and run? Her tail swiftly moved between her legs, she didn't want to seem like a threat to the beast of black fur coming closer to her. Arnaq watched the wolf as it past her and with a slight sniff she could tell the wolf was male. She began to back away from the water as she watched him lower his head to the water, his eyes still following her. She trembled to her core, he was the first wolf she had run into since that day. The sounds of her family dying because of her stupidity echoed in her mind as she tried to shake those thoughts loosed she suddenly caught scent of death.

She lifted her head into the air and sniffed around, turning her head she saw not to far off into the distance along the coast a dear, dead in it's tracks. Unsure of what killed it her stomach began to make such loud rumbles she was sure the other wolf would hear her stomach. She really need to eat. She wanted that food so badly. She hunkered down and began to head toward the direction of the carcass laying there when the other wolf spoke and surprised her so much so that she let out a small yelp. Did he just talk to me? Should I respond? Should I run? I probably couldn't even out run him even he came after me, he looked well fed, which meant I was better off just responding. Yes? She asked in a hushed squeaky like tone. Was that her voice? Oh man didn't she sound pathetic as ever. Sighing inwardly she could only hope he was just moving through and she wasn't crossing into his territory only to be run off with food so near to her.
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Askan hadn't been friendly, like at all, but he didn't think his words deserved a yelp in response. As antisocial as he could be, he didn't tend to go around beating up loners unless they were a pain in his arse and asked for this. But this one? She looked as though a stiff wind would knock her over. She was gaunt, fragile and it was blindingly obvious she wasn't doing so well as a loner. Some wolves were strong enough to make it, some weren't and this one was obviously the latter. Too bad for her, he supposed.

Just from her feeble response alone he could tell she was no thread to his pack. In a sense he'd almost wanted her to be, because then he'd at least have to deal with her. Coming here would have been worth his while. Alas, it was not to be. And he was already pretty bored of her. Or at least that's how he acted. His gaze was still cold-despite the bright intensity they always carried- and his gaze lingered upon her form as though she was a slab of meat that wasn't even edible.Really though, in a way he felt kind of bad for her. He'd been like that once and Drestig had taken pity on her. He was nothing like the Old Man of course, Askan didn't have a heart of gold but... He always wanted to live up to the Rye King's expectations. He wanted to make him proud.

And being a grumpy ass to a girl down on her luck wasn't very nice was it? Askan sighed and shook his head. He was no sap, but damn it he felt like one sometimes.

"Why are you so skinny?" He finally asked, his tone a smidgen softer than it had been before. Which didn't amount to much, but still."Looks like you're about to keel over. Why?"

Inactive III. Yearling
Arnaq
Arnaq watched the black wolf with his yellow eyes as they scanned her frame. She knew she was thin, it really was her own fault though. She wasn't any good at hunting on her own and really didn't take much stock in the lessons her father wanted to show her and her mother seemed alright with that. Looking back on it now, maybe that was because her mother didn't have another set of pups to look after. And really being the only one of her litter, she didn't get the greatest of chances to learn how to fight or play and her only elder sister seemed to never have the time for it. So Arnaq's mother became her play mate. And didn't she love having her mother's attention all to herself. Her sister would scold her and she over heard her father tell her mother that she was going to easy on a pup that needed to learn to live the life of a wolf out on the tundra. But alas mother always gave into Arnaq's playful and distracted ways. 

She looked at the wolf, who seemed to be lost in thought for a moment, she wondered what he was planning. She couldn't take chances. Maybe he was really planning on killing her. Was he a sly tricky one like the foxes? Sneaking around like they were better then the wolves. She huffed to herself damn foxes. When she finally took a moment, she sat a bit straighter, less clung to the ground anyway. Not that she trying to be bigger, she just didn't want to come off as worthless. She really needed to find a place to call home, maybe another pack would take her in? Not likely Arnaq, wake up, you aren't worth the trouble. Look what you did to your own family. The thoughts running through her head would really be the end of her if she didn't snap out of it. 

The black wolf spoke again, his voice sounding just a tad bit different. He was curious? Was he asking because he was concerned? Or was he gauging her, sizing her up. She didn't know, but she thought the respectful thing to do, especially if this was his land, was to answer any questions he may have for. Then hopefully she could get to that dead animal without him claiming it. "I...I uh haven't learned to hunt very well. I just keep failing. I haven't had more then scraps off dead and rotting corpses for weeks." She wasn't sure if her throat was dry from his presence or watering over the meat behind him. The meat smelled so good, she hoped no other animal would come for it. Or whatever killed it. Maybe he killed it and he has returned for it? If that was the case she was out of luck for sure.
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Askan couldn't help but roll his eyes. She was one of them huh? A pampered little pup who just couldn't make it on her own. If that was the case then it wasn't really her fault, her parents should have made more of an effort to ensure that she could look after herself. But at the same time it wasn't as though she didn't have a mind of her own. If she really wanted to she could have taught herself, could have been more independent. She could have tried harder, and then she wouldn't be in this mess, she wouldn't be a bag of skin, bones and self-pity.

He was tempted to tell her as much, to give her a well needed life lesson, but the last time he'd done that he'd only gotten scorn in return. He'd been trying to help her, to get her to see the truth, but no Askan was the bad guy. He was poking his nose in where it didn't belong, or so @Rory had thought. Well screw her, and anyone else who resented him from trying to help, in his own abrasive way. As Reyes had said, if they chose not to like him then it was their loss and not the other way around. They were the loners, they were the ones who had nothing. Whilst Askan? He had everything, or so he reminded himself.

She was adding a little odd though. Being cagey was all well and good but the way she kept glaring her nostrils was beginning to get a little distracting. He knew for a fact he didn't smell bad, so why the hell did she keep doing it? He was tempted to tell her to quit it, or at the very least tell him what she was smelling. But instead he scented the air himself and ah, he could see what had her so twitchy. There was food about, and judging from her skittish demeanour she thought he was gonna beat her for it. Like he'd do that, he wasn't that much of an arse. That said, he wouldn't mind taking some, not for himself but for the packs caches.

"Well as you probably noticed there's something nearby. How about you eat what you want and I take the rest?" He suggested. See, he could be civil, couldn't he? Even if he didn't sound it.

Inactive III. Yearling
Arnaq
Arnaq knew only moments were passing by while the black wolf once again seemed to be lost in thought. Why did she feel so nervous? She shouldn't be. Her father always told her to be proud of what she is and for awhile she was. But being proud of herself these days didn't seem to be the right thing to do with her family laying dead somewhere, probably eaten by that polar bear. 

Her ears started to turn toward the wolf, listening to his breathing as he sat there staring at her. It was like there was something on her face. She wondered what could be there? She watched as he seemed to smell the air. Oh no, he caught the scent. I guess that is that. I should just turn tail and run. She shouldn't come off so skittish and cowardly but she wasn't very well with interactions in her opinion. She heard him speak "Well you probably noticed there's something nearby. How about you eat what you want and I take the rest?" She felt as though her jaw might come unhinged. Did her ears deceive her? Did he really just offer her some of the meat? Her stomach growled loudly at the mention of him offering her some of the food. She couldn't turn it down, she would surely need to fill her belly in order to try and bring herself up to her father's standards or even her sister's . 

Arnaq smiled softly and kept her tail turned down, her body lower then his so she didn't come off as a threat to him before she could get some food. "Really? Are you sure?"  She sounded excited in her voice, excitement she had heard from herself in weeks. And why was she questioning him? He offered to let her have her fill. She began to move towards the scent as she watched him. "I am not sure what to say. Thank you. I don't want any trouble. I will move on if this is your home. I didn't mean to intrude." She wanted to make sure he knew she wasn't a threat, not that she could be. Look at their size differences, he was healthy on top of it and she, well she certainly wasn't. But maybe this was a step in the right direction for her. Maybe her sour luck might turn around at this point. And so for the first time since the incident, she felt hope.
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Standing there gawping at him like a fish wasn't doing her any favours. If anything she looked like a right idiot, as though her parents had stood on her head one too many times as a pup. He'd been about to call her out on it when reason seemed to rush back into her system like a sudden downpour of rain. Was it really that hard to grasp? Yes he'd meant it, otherwise he wouldn't have offered in the first place. What sort of fool said something he didn't mean? Was she implying that he was a liar? That he was just dangling a meal in front of her face with the intention of yanking it away?

Probably not. If he had to assume, he'd just say she was making sure. Being cautious. Fine, he'd let that one slip, as annoying as the insinuation had been.

"Yes I'm sure. I don't make false promises."Unlike some people in this world, but that was neither here nor there.

He wasn't all that surprised when she began to babble on about how she wasn't looking for trouble and bla bla bla. Yes, yes yes it was all the same sort of thing he'd heard before. She really did like to stick to the tried and tested routine didn't she? Whatever her name was, so far she didn't really stick out from the rest. She was just another starving wolf who was scrounging around for food. As though there wasn't enough hungry mouths in the world, stupid wolves with no common sense always ended up getting together and making more. Ugh. Askan sighed.

"You're not intruding. My home is a way from here, further south, to the west." He couldn't really be offended by her presence, after all they were closer to the Whitestone pack's lands than they were his own. She could loiter here all she wanted for all he cared."So go on then, use your nose and find the remains. I'm not gonna do the work for you." He'd take his fill for sure, but the least she could do was lead the way find it herself.

Inactive III. Yearling
Arnaq
Arnaq figured she might start becoming an annoyance to him if she kept talking around in circles. When he said that he didn't live near here she felt just a bit of relief. It meant that she wasn't a trespasser and they both were on neutral soil. She stood up a bit taller and shook her fur and stretched out her legs a bit. If he was just testing her, she guessed it would be a fairly poor test. It was just sniffing out a dead corpse. Something she had become better at since her failed hunting trips. 

"I wasn't asking you to do any work. I am very much capable of finding where the scent comes from without any help." She stiffened just a tad, that might of come off just a bit crass. Where was this sudden attitude coming from? She had better reprimand herself for that one later. She could only hope that he wouldn't of taken her tone for a challenge, because she wasn't in any shape to challenge for a thing. What was she thinking? She shook her thoughts free. "Forgive me, my name is Arnaq, I wasn't trying to have attitude. Thank you for offering to share. " With that she turned and put her nose to work.

The wind hadn't shifted much so the scent was coming right into her face, This won' be difficult to find she thought to herself. She only had to take just a few strides and she nearly tripped over the dead dear. She sniffed around the animal to see if she could recognize any type of predator scent. Looking over the carcass she could see claw marks in it. Maybe a cat of some sort? "I think some sort of cat like animal killed it. Do you know what other animals are in this area? I am sorta new to these parts?" She looked up and over her shoulder towards where the black male was wondering if she spoke loud enough for him to hear her. Without waiting for an answer though she tore into the still soft flesh of the deer. Oh this is so good. It is still fresh. Oh man. I should probably stop eating like it is my last meal and tear off a leg though and let him have the rest? And that's what she did after she finished chewing what was in her mouth that is. She clamped her jaw down on the rear hind leg and tore it free from the rest of it's body with what little strength she could manage. Of course she didn't plan on tumbling head over heals once the leg was freed. Served her right for not asking for help. It wasn't like she was alone. 

As she stood and re-balanced herself, she released the leg and let it land at her feet, looking over at the male.