(See All?) Announcements
828 Users Online
Hazelnut, Google, Bing

[bwp] from ash to ash. — Secluded Spring 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Ace who has 208 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Little Crow
RE: A recent heat wave has left the forest drier than usual.
For @Vaken -- would have taken them most of the night/morning/day to get up to the spring.  Set around late afternoon/early evening.

At least the sun had come out? Namir hadn’t yet decided if this was a blessing. The heat, the harsh rays, those were her comfort zone, yes… But they also made the cherry juice thicken, harden, and utterly reek. She and Vaken smelled like a pair of buzzard kills. Her coat was sticking up at all angles, and it was really beginning to itch. She was just losing faith she was off in the wrong direction (couldn’t smell the pack at all) when they finally came across the stony rim of the spring.

She frowned. “S’lot lower than I remember,” she muttered, not hesitating before wading into the water. It might have been more contracted, but the water was still spring fed, still cool and refreshing as it oozed up from the earth. “Whatever. It’ll still work. An’ no packs ‘nymore.”

A total bonus, in her opinion.

(This post was last modified: Jul 19, 2018, 11:56 PM by Namir. Edit Reason: vaken is a 'yote magnet. )
[Image: littlecrow_sig_by_becuffin-db81o80.png]

Played by Joe who has 377 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Vaken Svart
I feel numb, born with a weak heart

The small wolf was panting, his tongue hanging out of his mouth. He could feel his heart deep in his chest. When he broke through the clearing, he let his paws stop and stood painfully still, trying to regain his energy. That was quite a run. The yearling knew he was quick, but his stamina wasn’t great. He knew he needed to work on building it up, and the coyotes were certainly helping. He felt proud of that run.

When he followed the female to secluded springs, he couldn’t help but feel a pang of emotion. Last time he had been here, he had turned on @Ferreiran. That wasn’t a great memory to reflect on, but Vaken suppressed the negative emotions and slowly made his way over. He nodded at her comment about packs, a small grin twitching at the corners of his mouth. He needed a good swim too. He lapped at the water first, hoping to quench his thirst before his dirty-cherry fur dirtied it up. “I was here recently,” he noted, glancing at the water with puzzled eyes. “The water level has gotten lower since then.”

I guess I must be having fun
(This post was last modified: Jul 19, 2018, 08:14 PM by Vaken.)
currently travelling with Circe (she can jump in any of his threads)
[Image: bountyhunter_otb_by_a_yellow_bird-dc8zt91.png]
Inactive No Rank
Little Crow

“Oh.”

Well, why hadn’t he said something before? The female wrinkled her nose but didn’t say anything, instead settling into the water. She took a few sips before wading in even further, until the water was up to the bottom of her shoulder blades. The cold temperature was rejuvenating, even as her tired muscles started to ache. “Huh.”

It was lower than last year, but a lot could change in four seasons. That it had changed since Vaken had last visited (whatever ‘recently’ meant, she figured it was probably more ‘recent’ than when she’d been here) was much stranger. “The heat, maybe? Ain’t been rainin’ much. Nothin’ t’ refill.”

It made some sense. She wasn’t sold on her own theory.

Namir dunked her head underwater for as long as she dared, resurfacing with wild shaking. This was gonna take some work.

“So what’s yer name, anyways? An’ why were y’rollin’ around in th’ cherry trees?”

She never did get to asking yesterday.

Inactive No Rank
Vaken Svart

Dipping his paws in the water, Vaken made sure to dip his nose in too. He wanted to get it all off his face. Lifting his head back above water, he watched the other wolf swimming contently. “My name is Vaken Svart. He lowered his body in the water a bit more, washing off his sides. The cherry chunks began to detangle from his fur and he grimaced. This was gonna be harder than he though.

Trying to wash off the cherry from his back, the young wolf realized he was gonna have to soak longer than he thought. His nose crinkled up at that thought. He hated the water. Occasionally he would watch the other she-wolf curiously, watching to see if the cherry was leaving her fur easier. 
 “I felt like laying down,” he stated matter-of-factly. “The ground was covered in cherries. Didn’t really have much of an option.” It was pretty simple to him, but she deserved an answer. “What about you? What’s your name?"

(This post was last modified: Jul 19, 2018, 11:30 PM by Vaken.)
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
Several coyote abandoned a half-eaten deer. But before you can take a bite they reappear.
Inactive No Rank
Little Crow

“Crow.”

Not little anymore. Still not-- The conversation she had with Annabird over a month ago echoed in her skull. No, she was Crow. Just Crow. They fell back into silence as each assessed the problem that was their coat; once she realized repeated dunking only did so much, the older wolf gave a heavy sigh. The pulpy bits had floated away, but the juice was still stuck in pieces.

She could chew it out. But that sounded disgusting. A glance around showed her some rocks, pebbles, and bit of sand. The sand was the best option the loner could see, so she helped herself back out of the cool spring and began to roll, doing her best to scrub whatever remaining bits of fruit were stuck in her tawny coat. As she rolled back upright, tucking her legs beneath her, she noticed the abandoned carcass several lengths away from the shore. Namir frowned.

Her stomach growled, and she frowned harder, glancing around for its owner. “Well. That jes’ seems too convenient,” she muttered, slowly getting up to her feet. Her skin prickled, leaving her wet (and still sticky) coat sticking up at awkward angles, making her look strange more than it did threatening. “Y’ seein’ what ‘m seein’?”

Inactive No Rank
Vaken Svart
OOC: take that Spirit of Wildwood

Things just weren’t easy, were they? Letting out a slew of curses, the shaggy wolf’s fur prickled when he saw the corpse. They hadn’t even been able to get all the cherry out of his fur. Pressing his lips in a firm line, the wolf slowly dragged himself from the water. “It’s probably not just a coincidence, is it? Not just some good karma.”

He hesitantly moved closer, a little timid. Why couldn’t the two wolves catch a break? 

He still stunk. Now he was wet, and muddy, and still reeked of rotten cherries. He had taken a bath, for no good reason. He had gotten himself all damp and soggy (which he hated) just to be in the exact same predicament as before. Grunting angrily, the young wolf took a bite out of the meal. 

It was a comical thing to do, but he hadn’t meant it as a joke. He truly was frustrated. He wasn’t going to pass up on a dinner just because there was danger on the horizon. “Think they’re still around,” he said, chewing obnoxiously. 

Inactive No Rank
Little Crow

Namir was having a hard time deciding if she really liked this guy, or really hated him. He was fucking annoying in all the right ways – in all the ways she generally strove to be – and it was like a flashback to herself four seasons ago, fresh in the forest. Before she met everyone, before she found out what happened to her Mama, before Poke-stone Scowle.

The wolf smirked, watching him in silence as he stomped over to the carcass and took a noisy bite. “Y’all don’t strike me as th’ good karma sort,” she opined casually, a brow raised. “An’ it sure as hell ain’t mine.” She sorta figured that went without saying. She did threaten to leave him behind yesterday.

Striding forward, the dusty loner joined Vaken at the carcass, deciding he had the right idea. Probably wasn’t the universe rewarding them – quite the opposite – but they might as well take their fortunes until the mangy vermin showed up to kick their asses. “Reckon they ain’t gonna be thrilled t’ see us eatin’ their kill.” It made her laugh. “Karma sure is a fickle bitch, ain’t she?”

Maybe not their good karma, but maybe the coyotes terrible karma in return. Hell, she loved the idea of that.

gonna opine this oh yeah

Inactive No Rank
Vaken Svart

Between chews the small boy’s ears twitched forward, attempting to identify the rustling in the distance. He swallowed a mouthful of fat, and lowered his face back down to the kill. He wanted to ignore the possible danger, but knew he couldn’t. Glancing towards Crow, he gestured towards the noise with his muzzle. “You thinking what I’m thinking?”

He scoffed, but stepped away from the kill regardless. His black legs were dripping from the water, and still had some splotches of tangled-cherry fur. He didn’t want to be caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Licking the blood off his lips, he kept his eyes forward and raised his fur. “Not really our luck to just get one coyote either. Looks like our dinner might be getting cut short.”

It was disappointing, but having a little bit of food was better than nothing, especially since they didn’t have to work for it. 

Inactive No Rank
Little Crow

What was he thinking? Crow wasn’t ready to just agree to whatever thought fluttered through his mind, but thankfully, it didn’t seem like Vaken was actually looking for any sort of conformation. The younger wolf took a few more bites and she did the same, making sure to get something in her empty belly before she lifted her head. Her tongue washed over her muzzle as she sighed, lifting her head to try and scent the air. Mostly, she smelled them.

Slightly less stinky, yes… But a combination of wet dog wolf and old cherry, right next to a carcass, made it hard to detect anything else that might be floating around in the nearby woods.

“I still wanna know where th’ hell they all came from,” she muttered, as much to her company as to herself. “Weren’t always like this. Lived here almost four whole seasons ‘fore they showed up.” Which was comforting (in a sense), for Crow always felt responsible for catastrophe, but still. She was pretty sure the two events weren’t related.

As if that weren’t enough, the repugnant creatures appeared as if on cue. A handful of them fur bristling, tails flagging as they started to growl. Clearly, they expected their prize to be safe where they left it. “Shoulda cached it!” Crow snapped back to them, offering a show of teeth.

Two on three? That wasn’t the worst odds she’d seen. And she was kinda scrappy. “Whaddya think, Vaken? Bet we could show ‘em th’ way out.”