531 Users Online
Google, Bing, Torianna, Hazelnut

Save Your Scissors — Shallows Edge 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Allie who has 208 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Lyanna Tainn
Following Roots and Wings | Joining thread, @Askan | Nightfall

It hadn't been entirely pleasant, but Lyanna had managed to haul the kill she was content to share with Askan with no complaints. They hadn't reached the border's of Shallow's Edge alone, however. The smell of fresh blood had drawn the coyotes like flies to sugar. When dusk had cloaked the forest, the shadows cast by the canopy slowly but surely faded away into the darkness of the night and the shrill cries of a number of them echoed all around. The coyotes seemed to be bold anywhere she went, but the possible promise of fresh meat kept them nearly on she and her counterpart's heels the entire way - until an even stronger smell repelled them.

The outskirts of the pack's territory were well-marked, the scent recognizable to her mostly because the dark man beside her wore it like it was a part of him. Her golden eyes were pale in the rays of moonlight that beamed down from above every now and again, and they eventually fell upon the side of Askan's sooty-hued face. He'd led her this far but she knew better than to expect him to stroll right in with a stranger. And she knew better than to question him about anything, really, much less about whether or not they were too close for her to go much further. Her russet ears perked forward and she let the dead fawn slip from her jaws. In their comfortable silence she opted to wait for his direction rather than be the one to break the quiet.

(This post was last modified: Jul 27, 2018, 03:48 AM by Lyanna.)
Played by Alice who has 1,273 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
Shallows Edge
Carpe Noctem

So now what? Askan wasn't really sure where they were supposed to go from here. He knew that the fawn-or at least some of it- was going to go in his caches, but what of Lyanna?  She could have easily claimed the kill for herself, been all greedy like most loners these days. But she hadn't, instead, she'd chosen to haul it all the way back to the Shallows so she could share it with Askan and his pack. Had she been anyone else he would have grown suspicious, would have assumed she was after something, but she'd helped him before and had asked for nothing in return. Well, not quite, she'd asked him to remember. Things seemed a little different now though, she'd mentioned that she hadn't found what she had been looking for, so Askan couldn't help but wonder if she'd she'd grown tired of searching...

The presence of his well-maintained borders was more than enough to keep the coyotes at bay. Even they weren't foolish enough to risk their necks like that. Which meant the duo had a bit of room to breath, a moment to consider what they were going to do next. Askan had never been that sort of guy, he very much leapt before he looked. But in this instance the path he needed to take seemed obvious, he knew what he wanted to do.

"Join my pack." He said, without preamble. After all, what was the point in beating around the bush?

(This post was last modified: Jul 26, 2018, 03:22 PM by Askan. Edit Reason: edited it some cause it was shite )
[Image: kana_pixel_by_marthypie-dcn3i8m.gif]
[Image: se_sig_by_becuffin-dbuushz.png]
Inactive No Rank
Lyanna Tainn
I think your shite is always wonderful <3

It was a relief to finally be somewhere safe, somewhere where she knew she didn't have to constantly look over her shoulder or dedicate so much time and thought to where the coyotes were and what they were doing. They still loomed out there, in the darkness and in the reaches of the forest, but, for now, they weren't here. And Askan was.

Lyanna was more grateful for his company than perhaps he'd ever know. By now she'd seen what felt to be a significant portion of Relic Lore, and had met a number of wolves - both loners and pack wolves. She had travelled many of the forests and rivers and even over the mountain, but she had yet to find a place to settle down, or a wolf or pack to settle down for. With Askan, things felt somewhat different. It was true that their exchanges had been few - short and sweet, even. But the girl was drawn to him. Perhaps it was the way that he was perceivably rough around the edges with something softer beneath his brusque demeanor. Perhaps it was the strength he exuded, or the way the look in his eyes smoldered like some timeless fire. Or the way he seemed like the sort of personality who didn't care for anyone, but had been, in his own way, kind to her. She and Askan were in some ways polar opposites, like oil and water, but she never shook the instinct that they were more alike than met the eyes.

Eventually finding the time and place to settle down and enjoy their meal, she nosed at the kill between them before the man spoke - his words both surprising and like music to her ears.

"Join my pack.

Her tawny head and overall posture lifted up, her eyes wide, the gold in them holding a flicker of interest and hope. For a moment she searched his gaze and the features of his face, inspecting his expression as if to rule out whether or not he was actually serious. He wasn't the type to waste his breath, she knew, and nothing about the way he presented his offer to her now indicated otherwise. It was true that she was tired. Tired of wandering. Tired of the hunger. Tired of the danger she found at every turn. Mostly, though, she was tired of being alone...

The decision was an easy one to make.

"...Okay." she breathed, her tail swaying slowly behind her. For such an abrupt change in her life, she couldn't have felt more comfortable with it. Excitement and gratitude swelled in her chest and she did her best to contain the emotion, allowing a soft smile to settle on her face. "My loyalty is yours."

Thoughtfully, she took in the moment she shared with him before nudging the fawn closer to him. Lyanna was more than willing to give him his first choice of the meat.

"...Thank you."

Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
Shallows Edge
Carpe Noctem

Huh? She accepted his offer just like that? Askan squinted at her, it seemed too good to be true. He waited for her to yank the proverbial rug out from under his paws, 'ha I was only kiddding!' But nope, she said nothing of the sort. She seemed quite relieved actually, like she was coming up for air after being submerged underwater for too long. He pursed his lips, he supposed a lot could change in a few weeks. Being alone for so long with nothing but coyotes for company had to be quiet harrowing. Especially considering that she seemed to be quiet sheltered, being a Tainn and all.

She was right to assume that Askan meant it, he was not the sort who made empty offers. If he didn't think that she was worthy to join his ranks he wouldn't have offered. It was true she wasn't quite as...rough as Askan, but that hardly mattered. Not every Edge wolf was as calloused and grumpy as the two leaders, if anything his pack was a bit of a mixed bag. They took in all sorts, as long as they did their part the Edge Lords-usually- had no complaints.

"Yeah yeah." He waved away her gratitude with a flick of his tail. Even now he didn't really know how to deal with such a reaction. "It's also Reyes' too, he leads with me. Got a problem with that?"

No one had ever said as much to his face, but Askan knew how judgemental wolves could be. He doubted that Lyanna would have a problem with it, but the last thing he wanted was to make things official only to find out she couldn't stomach the thought of having two male leads. As if their lack of lady parts made them a worse leader, or something equally as trite.

He glanced down at the little fawn she nudged his way, was this her way of bowing to his authority, making it clear that she was his subordinate and he her leader? Askan grunted.

"You're hungrier than I am." He pushed the fawn back, he'd have his fill later or even give it to Reyes.

Inactive No Rank
Lyanna Tainn

Askan proceeded to dismiss her words of gratitude before mentioning @Reyes and questioning whether or not she had a problem with it. In all honesty, she'd never encountered a pack - or been a part of one - that functioned with two alpha males. She'd been raised in a more traditional structure and that was all she'd ever known, but that didn't mean that a different structure was inappropriate; if that was the case with Shallow's Edge, it certainly wasn't her place to object. She wasn't disapproving, but curious, if anything. "No, of course not," she replied calmly, her brows pulling together in an expression that was not judgmental but genuinely thoughtful as she weighed the implications in her mind.

"How you choose to live and lead is your business, Askan, not mine. I will support you and the decisions you choose to make, regardless." She wasn't being complacent or going along with everything he was dishing out for the hell of it. Her choice to accept his offer and a position among the wolves of Shallow's Edge was her own. Lyanna was a lawful creature, well-versed in the customs of pack life. Being a part of this pack naturally necessitated giving her loyalty to her Leaders and pack mates; their genders hardly mattered as much as the relationships she was to build with them. All of them.

"If Reyes leads beside you, my loyalty and support are his as well."

His grunt at her offering was taken in stride. She hadn't meant to offend him, if she had. But it did serve to remind her that her place was now below him and not beside. If she thought that touching him was remotely a good idea, she would have sought to lower herself to issue a submissive lick to his muzzle, perhaps. But she wasn't about to be the first one to make bodily contact, not with Askan. Not unless she was sure he approved or wanted it, even. Surely he would understand that she was attempting to cater to his personality while getting to know him better at the same time. Right?...When he pushed the fawn back to her, Lyanna's ears laid back upon her crown and she lowered her eyes and posture in a show of submission. Nosing over the kill, she placed a paw on the fawn's side before tearing into its belly.

After swallowing down a few bites, she licked the blood from her lips and her eyes looked to meet his own. "Reyes - Is he your mate?" Her tone was as neutral as it could ever be. This was quite possibly a loaded question, surely an obvious one. She didn't want Askan to feel interrogated by any means, but she wanted to get to know him. In short time, she would seek to get to know Reyes and the others as well. From that perspective, she wanted to learn as much as she could beforehand.

(This post was last modified: Jul 26, 2018, 06:58 PM by Lyanna.)
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
Shallows Edge
Carpe Noctem

Lyanna was right, it was none of her business, but in a sense it was reassuring to know that she wouldn't question his authority. He liked to think he didn't give a shit about what other's thought but... that wasn't entirely true. Every cared, even if only a little, right? Or so that's what Askan told himself when he questioned his own integrity.

Askan was a firm believer that actions spoke louder than words, but seeing as she could hardly prove herself right here and now he had little choice but to accept them. What was the worst she could do, anyway? Decide that the Shallows weren't for her and go off on her merry way? Others had done that before and Shallows Edge still stood as strong as ever. But if she remained she could easily be an assest, not to mention he'd come to the conclusion she was all right, even if she was a bit...Tainny.

To his satisfaction she tucked into the deer and had her fill. She was putting on a show of being polite and submissive but he wouldn't have blamed her if she chose to scoff it all down. Then again, wouldn't that ruin her proper, pretty lady image? Ah well, he didn't care, she could eat and act how she pleased.

Then Lyanna hit him with a question he hadn't seem coming. At all.

He inhaled sharply as his gaze snapped to her, sharp and accusing. Once, he'd gotten all flustered when they'd been caught by Jessie, but now? Askan didn't feel an ounce of shame, nor was he ever going to apologise for how he felt about his mate. But that wasn't quite what was happening, Lyanna had asked a simple question, there was no need to get so defensive. Just like that the tension eased from his form and he nodded.

"Yeah he is." He stated matter of factly, though his tone wasn't overly sharp. "If you get confused who's who he's got silver eyes, face all scarred up." His lips twitched just a little at that. To think they'd once believed they looked like one another, how amusing.

"Is that all?" That was his way of asking if there was anything she needed to tell him, or if she had anything she felt she ought to say.

Inactive No Rank
Lyanna Tainn

From the look he'd initially shot her, she was prepared for an answer much different than the one she'd gotten. Askan's tone was surprisingly calm as he confirmed that he and Reyes were together and he even offered up a description of the man she was now eager to meet. For a moment she imagined what Reyes might be like. As ornery as Askan? More ornery? Authoritarian? Maybe Askan's better half, or the soft to his hard. In time she was sure to find out, so she left her imagination to be what it was.

Lyanna offered a simple nod of understanding, grateful to have a very shallow idea of what her other Leader looked like should she end up running right into him. "Is that all?" he added.

Obviously she had many more questions to ask. To a point, with Askan, she felt lucky to have gotten as much insight as she had. She was more than capable of showing herself around and putting herself to use, so she wasn't looking for any direction there. With her belly finally full and with the feeling of security that Askan and the Shallows had given to her, she was quite honestly ready to finally rest. Tomorrow was a new day, and as the most novel addition to the pack, she imagined it was going to be a busy one. Also, Askan had probably had his fill of her by now.

The tawny girl reclined to her haunches, a weary and soft, one-sided grin tugging at her lips. Her questions could wait, but there was something she did want to say to him.

"I suppose it is." Her voice was like velvet but her tone conveyed importance. Her eyes trailed off to the shadows of the night. "...I could have gone anywhere out there, you know. I could have settled down with one of the packs over the mountain, where the weather is a little less wet and the forests are tall and filled with sunlight. I could have found someplace else to grow my roots and put my skills to use. I could have gone back home." Her old-soul gaze came to find his fiery one. "I know that this was sudden, but...I chose you, like you chose me. Because I think there's something special in you, even if we don't truly know one another, yet...I want you to know that I am a woman of my word, that I don't settle for anything, and that my loyalties are not simply given to the first person to offer me something - something even as significant as a life and a family, as you did." She inclined her muzzle just so, that he might see the strength of her conviction for all that it was as it shone in her eyes. "...I want you to know that I believe you won't regret bringing me home. And, Askan...there will come a day that you'll be proud to call me yours."

They were strong words. And she, like him, was not one to waste her breath. He had no way of knowing it yet, but her intentions were pure, her will to serve him stronger than he could imagine. In time, her actions would prove what her words couldn't tonight.

"...So. Again, thank you"

(This post was last modified: Jul 27, 2018, 01:37 AM by Lyanna.)
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
Shallows Edge
Carpe Noctem

Askan didn't really expect a response, he figured that they were about done here. He wanted nothing more than to be left to his own devices for the night, but apparently Lyanna wasn't yet done with him. His eyes narrowed into thin slits as she got comfortable, as though they were going to be there a little while longer. Ugh, fine. He supposed he had sort of asked for this, hadn't he? With with great restraint, he bit back the urge to make a dry comment, or two. He would listen to what she had to say, for now.

And oh boy, did she have a lot to get off her chest, and honestly, Askan didn't know what to make of it, of her.

He just...What on earth was she trying to prove? It didn't feel as though she was using her soft, pretty words to gain his favor, as they were too heavy, too poignant for that. So what then? He pursed his lips as his ears flicked back, then forward, as though he couldn't decide whether he wanted to listen. Askan had never been very good at the whole soul baring thing and Lyanna was being awfully open with him right now. Was he supposed to follow suit and do the same? As fucking if!

The very least Askan could do was mull over her words, even if he couldn't give her a proper response now he'd try to give her one down the line. It might take a while but late was better than never.

"Yeah...no problem." He uttered slowly, carefully. With a huff he stood a little straighter, now that he'd shoved all that confusing shit aside-for now- he figured it was time they got a move on."Come, let's get it to a cache." He ordered, his head dipping to motion to the bloodied doe.

Inactive No Rank
Lyanna Tainn

It seemed as though Askan had no words for her. Not for now, anyway. It wasn't much of a surprise, as he seemed to be a man of few words to begin with. And she supposed she'd dished out more than he was most likely up to hearing this late in the night. For all she could assume, he was probably as tired as she was, eager to curl up in the warmth of his mate's body and call it a day.

And so she was satisfied enough with the "Yeah...no problem," he'd offered, and content to follow his direction. Stowing away their meal and finding a place to rest for the night sounded like a promising ending to an eventful day. With a simple, weary nod, the girl rose to her feet and gathered up what remained of the fawn in her jaws. Looking to him with an expression conveying that she was ready, Lyanna would quietly follow his lead when he made his move.

Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
Shallows Edge
Carpe Noctem

Grabbing a hold of it's leg, Askan grunted as he yanked it forward to test his grip. He was pretty tired but he reckoned he could drag it back with a bit of effort. He was strong and in his prime, if anyone could do it it'd be him. It was true that he could have asked for help but he was convinced he didn't need it, that Lyanna had done enough for the day.

And what a day it had been.

By the time the duo got the remains of the deer safely stored away in one of the many caches he was well and truly ready to call it quits. Knowing that his mate was a night-owl, it was unlikely Reyes had made his way to their private den yet. Which was fine, Askan wasn't going to be a needy git and call for him. Reyes would appear when he felt like it, for now Askan wanted to get some well needed sleep.

Fade