(See All?) Announcements
893 Users Online
Bing, Google

blue skies & green grasses — Blackberry Fields 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Fenrir who has 639 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Ice Aesir
Continued from <a href='http://relic-lore.net/index.php?showtopic=2662' target='_blank'>here</a>. Cessair first! :)

you do not know who is your friend
or who is your enemy
until the   ICE breaks.
"No, not very long," she responded to his query about her time in the Lore. He nodded to himself, striding on, long legs carrying him across the thick, clinging undergrowth of the Ghastly Woods. The noises haunted them, and she mentioned a brother. It sent his thoughts careening back through time, crash-landing in a land of ice and snow and bitter winds, where four brothers had been born and huddled together when the blizzards raged... and sung together, under a sky full of stars and northern lights. He found himself missing Snow the most of them - Snow, and their mother, Viemina. He missed them, and in some corner of his heart, regretted leaving them, but it was best this way. He had his own life, free of scorn and the constant threat of being left in the wilderness to starve. Viemina had surely raised more litters since he left, and Snow had probably set out, too, and found a mate of his own... or possibly stayed, to help Viemina with her cubs. Snow was nice like that. Ice wouldn't put it past him to remain, and after all, their father had only disliked Ice, and never his brothers. He was just about to sigh wistfully and ask about Cessair's brother when she broke into a run, passing him in a heartbeat and disappearing along the path. Surprised, he looked after her, a slight grin on his face when she went flying. He wasn't the only one to tangle his paws in the shrubbery.

Ice broke into a lope, eating up the ground beneath him as the light grew larger. He'd finally realized what it was she'd been charging for, and was eager to follow; closer and closer they came, sunlight streaming down as the trees thinned and the wind died down, shedding its ghoulish noises. He managed to avoid mishaps, broke out through the thickest section and where the forest thinned out. Cessair led the way, prancing along in the light, and Ice bounced after, fur flashing silver in the sunlight. Warmth lapped against him, the songs of birds and the wind across lush grasses the only sounds - a pleasant change from the hellish cacophony in the Woods. He flung a look over his shoulder. It loomed dark and foreboding behind them, and he didn't mourn getting out of it. A happy woof rolled from his mouth as he loped on, Shadowstorm and the tension forgotten. Perhaps he could've gotten along with her on another day, but... For now, he had Cessair to socialize with. She was likeable, if a bit shy and cautious.

The last of the trees gave way and a large field lay in front of them. Breathless, bright-eyed, Ice broke off to a wolf's trot before stopping entirely. He'd skirted around the fields a couple of times when exploring, but he'd never taken the time to actually enjoy it: he did now, though, drinking it in with eager eyes. Tall, lush and green, the grasses waved in the solemn breeze and clusters of blackberry bushes huddled together here and there. Above them, the sky was bright blue with only a few cirrus clouds, and a sun just slightly past noon. "It's beautiful, isn't it?" he said with laughter in his voice, turning to Cessair. "Much better than that forest." The Ghastly Woods, on a good day, held a certain charm and beauty of its own, but it was dark, wild - unpredictable, morbid. Ice preferred straight-up beauty like these fields with the sunlight slanting down, and no damnable rivers in sight. He fired off a large yawn and lowered himself into a bow, stretching out his legs. Once up on all four again he gave himself a shake, sunlight glinting in his eyes as he turned to Cessair, once more struck by his inability to "know" what to do. Awkwardly he left it up to her to guide their meeting in a meaningful direction.
.ice aesir
(This post was last modified: Aug 26, 2012, 05:08 PM by Ice.)
let the stars above shine in your soul
Played by Evelynne who has 132 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Cessair Lux
The field was like a brand new world, with glorious sunlight illuminating everything in sight and more agreeable greenery scattered along the landscape. When she was through with her initial delighted frolic, the creamy wolf hopped over to a sort of bush laden with little fruits. Cessair immediately recognized them as blackberries, and after selecting a big ripe individual, she greedily harvested it and began to chew. Sweet flavor erupted in her mouth, further perfecting her obvious joy, then faded to a savory tartness. Reaching for another berry, Cessair suddenly remembered that she was not alone.

She whipped around to face Ice, smiling with unbridled glee and purplish blackberry juice smeared on her muzzle. After licking off the mess, she found herself fit to make conversation. The large male was obviously glad to be out of that haunting forest as well, as laughter almost overtook his voice as he commented on the field's beauty. Giggling, Cessair agreed. <b>"I think almost anything would be better than <i>that</i> creepy place right now! Have you tried those blackberries? They're absolutely delicious!"</b> A butterfly passed in front of the girl's nose, its awkward, tumbling flight inspiring her to chase it briefly in abandon. Cessair's puppy-ish <span class='word'>foible</span> surfaced in moments of mirth like these, as tragedy had cut short her puppy-hood. Now, what was sealed away then stole its opportunity to finally be expressed.

It only took a moment for Cessair to recall that she was supposed to be talking with Ice. She determined to stay focused as she again opened her mouth to speak. <b>"Sorry, I'm just so happy to be out of there that I can't help myself. Anyway, we never really got to meet properly because -- that other wolf-- dropped in on us. Mind if I start over?"</b> Cessair didn't wait for him to acquiesce, but instead took the liberty to assume he didn't mind. She was laughing at the absurdity of her own idea as she started up again. <b>"I'm Cessair. I'm new around this place but I really like it so far. I might join a pack if I can get over my wandering paws and find one that will be friendly enough to accept me."</b> <i>Flashbacks and all,</i> she wanted to add, but decided to keep that to herself. Her elation was visible in her eyes as she peered up at Ice, still smiling, to see what he would do.
Inactive No Rank
Ice Aesir
or who is your enemy
until the   ICE breaks.
While Ice was content to just stand where he was, breathing in the fresh scents of summer, his companion hopped off to the nearest bush. What was she doing? Ice had likely never eaten berries, it just hadn't been one of those things that naturally grew in where he came from - the only ones that did were either bad, or sour, or just.. not entirely pleasant to eat. And when in the Lore, he'd just never done it. With a mix of caution and curiosity he slunk after her, watching her obvious delight with slight doubt. Purple juices stained her lips. He decided it was a very strange and unhealthy shade, but she seemed perfectly fine and happy as she turned to face him. Blackberries? He turned to inspect one of the nearest branches. The bush was ripe with fruit, some obviously eaten off by other creatures, but much remained, sitting like black ticks on a deer's hide. "Are you sure they're safe?" he said with obvious doubt, giving one a sniff and an involuntary bump of his nose. The branch rustled, the berries dangling, heavy, threatening to fall on him. He didn't even notice when Cessair went off after a butterfly, because he was busy giving one berry a lick to see if it'd magically grow teeth and bite his tongue. It didn't, but he didn't get the chance to overcome his fear and actually eat it before her voice drew his attention again. His muzzle left its blackberry-nosing and pointed at her instead. At her words, a grin split his face.

His gaze didn't even darken at the mention of Shadowstorm. He'd put it behind her, and it seemed like she had, too. Behind him, his tail was wagging again. "I'm Ice!" he informed her happily when she was done. "A proud wolf of the Swift River pack to the south. My paws wander quite a lot, too, but as long as I spend more time at home than out here no one bites my tail off." He gave a slight shrug, and turned back to the bush. Silver eyes narrowed slightly, and he returned to give the berry he'd picked out another sniff. "Tell them if I die, will ya?" And then he plunged, headfirst, into this strange, new sensation. Before he could change his mind, Ice snapped his teeth shut around the berry's stem, cutting it cleanly between his teeth. It tumbled into his mouth, a foreign weight, a foreign texture. Clumsily he rolled it to between his teeth instead of the middle of his mouth, and crushed it between his molars.

It was like nothing he'd ever done before, and nothing like what he'd expected. It was soft, and broke in an explosion of moist fruit flesh - he'd bitten down way too hard, he realized, expecting it to be more like a bone that needed to be cracked. Surprise widened his eyes and stilled his features as he thoughtfully tried to assess the taste and feel of it. Sweet at first, easily running down his throat, but it left a tart, dry aftertaste in his mouth. Surprised, he turned to Cessair. "Is it meant to taste like this?" he asked stupidly, not sure whether he liked it or not. The first sensation had been heaven, the second, he didn't know if he liked it or not. Well, only time would tell... Engrossed in this new activity, Ice turned his attention back to the bush. With a lot more care and delicacy he picked his next berry, crushing it gently and savoring the taste. He came to the conclusion that while the aftertaste was like nothing he'd ever come across, it wasn't distasteful. Licking his lips clean he grinned again, trying to recall where their conversation had been before he got busy eating... but he found that he'd not really been paying a lot of attention. They'd been talking about packs, at least, that's what he thought. "So.. what kind of place and pack would you enjoy living in?" he asked while trying to choose which berry to be his next meal. This berry-eating was a very serious business, each one had to be evaluated, and chosen with great care. Couldn't go about eating just any berries, no no. Because that one just there, it looked far too dried up to be any good...
.ice aesir
Played by Ember who has 3 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Dakota Alaina
(Hope you guys don't mind if I join in, I'll delete this post if you want me too)

Dakota had wandered to Blackberry fields. The bushes of berries sustained her and her hunger. Spots like this kept her alive. She would stay awhile. The memories of her past flashing back into her memory. Burning around. <b>"Who's there?"</b> She called to two wolves she'd scented earlier. Heading it they're direction. Most forget they're memories, but not her.

To her, the memory was all but faded: It was an early morning, she'd wanted to surprise her parents with a fresh rabbit for them, she'd learned a bit of hunting and was about 9 months old. She'd gone out, chasing a rabbit, almost had it in her claws when a lone wolf spotted her. It lunged, claiming the rabbit was theirs and clawed her. leaving several scratches and an eye. When her parents found her missing, they sent out they're second to find her, he tried to kill her, would have succeeded too, if not the medic arrived when he did. He, the medic, carried her back to camp, using herbs to heal her scratches and her leg. When her parents came to see her, they refused to believe that they're second had tried to kill her and they convinced themselves it was just the lone wolf's doing. The only ones to believe her were Amber, her sister. Jake, the medic and Dakota herself. It took 3 months to heal properly and she continued as a yearling. Until the second threatened Amber and Dakota's life. They fled the territory and were split up by a group of lone wolves.

She hopes to never mention the 'tribe' again. But she's still haunted by nightmares. They've etched themselves into her mind, her soul, her skull and her eye.
(This post was last modified: Aug 04, 2012, 12:57 AM by Dakota.)
Treason Must Be Punished
Inactive Deceased
Cessair Lux
(No worries! It is an "all welcome" thread, after all!)

Cessair had a hard time restraining herself from flopping over in a fit of laughter as she watched Ice investigate the blackberries. It was as if he'd never seen one before! Still, she managed to stifle it to just a little chuckle. Her amusement continued when he enthusiastically reintroduced himself, tail wagging and all. She had to reflect on his words for a moment after he returned to the berry bush. He was a "proud" member of the pack, so he must be a member of a functional and well-recognized group with a fair share of triumphs and successes. Being affiliated with such would be a nice benefit if Cessair decided to largely give up her wandering and actually join a pack. But then, Ice still admitted to wandering frequently (and here he was, away from his pack's territory, if that wasn't enough proof) and not being punished. Ice just cleared up her main concerns about joining a pack in two easy sentences.

Finally, Ice decided he was ready to try a blackberry. <i>"Tell them if I die, will ya?"</i> Because she was positive such a dire outcome would not come to be, the little wolf only giggled. Cessair watched him from where she was, inclining her neck a little for a better view, to see his reaction. He was obviously very surprised by the berry when he asked if what he was tasting was correct. <b>"Of course, silly! Unless you got a bad one, although most of these look good,"</b> she replied as she thrust her head into the bush to grab another berry for herself. After a moment, the pale wolf took her off guard with another question. What kind of pack she would want to join was not a thought she had spent much time considering as of yet. Cessair chewed on a third blackberry as she mulled it over, not coming up with a response until a few seconds had passed. <b>"For a place, I guess anywhere that proves itself exciting. Maybe by a river, or a mountain, but nowhere near a forest like the one we just got out of. And as for a pack, I don't really know. As long as I feel accepted and have a duty that doesn't involve fighting, I suppose I would be happy."</b>

Her voice kind of trailed away at the last clause, as she became more interested in the foreign scent she suddenly detected. Just has she confirmed that it was another lone wolf that was approaching, she appeared. Cessair, her good mood in no way diminished from earlier, immediately greeted the stranger. <b>"Hi, I'm Cessair! What's your name?"</b> It wasn't until after her words had ended that she looked over the new wolf. The first thing she noticed was that this wolf had bright amber eyes, one of which bordered by a scar. A thought of the last stranger wolf she met earlier that day briefly crossed her mind, causing her mood to drop to a more sensible level as she worried how Ice might react. Perhaps the sun and the blackberries would help him stay calm and not see this stranger as offensive. Still, after a pleasant smile at the newcomer, she glanced nervously over her shoulder to observe the large blackberry-munching male behind her.
(This post was last modified: Aug 05, 2012, 01:21 AM by Cessair.)
Inactive No Rank
Ice Aesir
or who is your enemy
until the   ICE breaks.
Well, at least there was one thing he didn't have to worry about: poison. For starters, if the berries were poisonous, there wouldn't be proof of them having been eaten. Secondly, he doubted Cessair stood there, happily poisoning herself, and giggling as he did the work on himself. It had only crossed his mind briefly, but she didn't seem the type of put herself at risk like that, so it had quickly fallen out of his thoughts. Instead, he became filled up with the sensations of consuming the berries. She assured him that they were meant to taste like this, and as more of them were crushed between his teeth, he came to the logical conclusion that both she and his taste buds were right. Why someone had fashioned them to be so deceptively sweet and then so strangely tart he couldn't fathom, but it made for quite the nice contrast in taste... Purple juice stained his lips, too, tail wagging happily behind him as he continued his raid on the bush, listening to Cessair while he did so. Whenever something she said caught his attention in a particularly demanding manner, his chewing slowed as he spent more energy on thinking instead of on eating. Mostly, it was river and no fighting that snagged at his mind, and his gaze went distant as he took another berry in his mouth. She was likeable, friendly, and seemed to be the type who would enjoy pups - plus, she wanted to live by a river (which he, for the love of everything, couldn't understand), and his pack was, conveniently enough, by a river. But if she was guarding the pups, and something dangerous came - an aggressive lone wolf, an exceptionally grumpy badger... Would she back into the bushes, or fight for their lives, as any pack wolf was bound to do?

He didn't have time to ask her, as the voice of a stranger cut through the air. Ice flinched, and looked like a naughty boy caught with his hand in the sugar pot. The stricken look faded quickly, though, and instead he peered over at the newcomer. She was buff, but not so tall, with pretty amber eyes - she seemed friendly enough, and at least announced her presence, unlike the creeper in the bracken. Cessair bounced to the greeting, and behind him, Ice's tail kept wagging. He didn't notice the worried glances the small female sent his way, just fired off a toothy, purple grin. "I'm Ice!" he declared again, as if he had no care in the world. This was more like him - large, bumbling, bouncy and friendly, like an over-dimensioned pup. Who cared about acting sane, as long as you were kind and polite? His attention drifted back to the tasty bush, and he left Cessair to deal with the stranger. She seemed better at it than he, awkward as he was, and besides, these berries demanded his most delicate, intimate attendance. With great care he put his teeth around yet another one, snipping the stem off and feeling it roll into his mouth; it felt queer still, but it was with anticipation and delight that he ground it open between his teeth now, savoring the taste. As long as the stranger didn't turn violent, she could share their bush, at least if anyone asked Ice.
.ice aesir
Inactive Deceased
Cessair Lux
Cessair stood staring into the bushes where she thought the stranger wolf was. After a moment, she wondered if there even was another wolf there at all. <b>"Hello?"</b> It was another minute before the scent began to fade, and Cessair finally gave up. She didn't understand how she could have scared off another wolf. Maybe it was Ice that scared her off? No, it wasn't right to blame him. Besides, he introduced himself and seemed to have friendly intenetions. The little wolf decided that the stranger was either a figment of her imagination, or had just suddenly recalled some urgent task to attend to and left. Laughing inwardly at the thought of possibly having introduced herself to an imaginary wolf, Cessair returned to the blackberry bush that Ice was currently demolishing.

Upon approaching the bush, Cessair saw mostly unripe berries, so she started to circle to the other side. Her mouth was watering at the thought of eating something, even meager blackberries; being a loner with little hunting skill left her in a constant state of <span class='word'>phthisis</span>. Under an unusually large leaf hung a berry so big and appealing that when the creamy wolf spotted it, she snatched it up without much thought or precision. Instead of clamping her teeth around it, she managed to bite right into it, causing an explosion of purple juice to squirt all over her face. After a moment of frozen bewilderment, Cessair laid down to wash her face. Her tongue wouldn't be able to reach the stain between her ears and eyes, so it was necessary to lick her paw and rub it over her face, not unlike a cat. While this was in progress, she tried to recall what she and Ice were talking about before the interruption. She remembered as she finished washing. <b>"So what's your pack like?"</b>
Inactive No Rank
Ice Aesir
or who is your enemy
until the   ICE breaks.
It hadn't really crossed his mind how thoroughly he was hogging this side of the bush. Some part of his mind guessed that if someone else, namely Cessair, wanted to get another bite, she'd just shove him aside. Instead, she remained unusually quiet where she stood, and he actually stopped his blackberry-gorging for a moment to look at her. She was peering into the bushes where Ice could've sworn another wolf had stood for a moment, but there was nothing, no one, there. A frown creased his forehead as his companion seemed to come to the same conclusion, because she went back to the bush.. or rather, the other side of the bush. She slunk around it, but for a moment longer Ice remained motionless. Did these blackberries induce hallucinations? Or had that wolf been real, but just left? Only one way to find out. Looking longingly at the berries, he turned to where Dakota had been. He drew the air in deep through his lungs, and stuck his nose in among the thick tangle of branches. Yeah, it definitely smelled of another wolf, but fading, since she'd turned and walked away again. It was a relief, really, to know that he wasn't eating psycho berries and going cracked in the head. Whatever reason she'd had to go away had probably been important, and with a shrug, he returned to his bush.

He was unaware of Cessair's ordeal on the other side, but had he known, he probably would've volunteered to help her, which probably wouldn't have made it better since his tongue was getting all purple. Thoughtfully he popped another one into his mouth, reflecting on the fact that it probably was unhealthy to eat so many of them. Did wolves survive on berries? He doubted it, but made a mental note to bring Fenru here at some point. He doubted they'd make it before the snows, since he was a shy kid. Would he bloom out, though, during winter? Ice chewed thoughtfully on the delicious berry. Well, he could bring him here anyway - and maybe the newest Tainns, too, and Triell. Though, Triell had probably been here before. So, maybe not him.. Or, well, Tri could come along, but Ice just couldn't go all I found the awesomest place! on him.

His thoughts were cut short by Cessair's voice, floating from the other side of the bush. "Oh, Swift River?" There was something thoughtful in his voice, a faint smile on his face; he'd told Rhysis it was perfect. Could he still say that? Well, yes. But he doubted that was the kind of answer she looked for... "It's very nice. As long as you don't shirk your duties, you're free to travel away for shorter periods of time, like I am doing now. Corinna and Indru are fair, but not stupid or meek. Right now, we have three yearlings, as well as three pups. They're adorable!" He cocked his head to the side, before deciding that talking through a bush was highly impersonal. Backing out from his position with his head among the quickly diminishing number of berries he made his way around to where she was. Patches of the fur on her forehead was sticking out in weird angles, as if she'd rubbed it against something. He laughed softly and reached out one large paw in an attempt to pat it, before continuing. "We live in the Sacred Grove - it's a forest, but a very nice one, with large trees and stuff. And.. rivers. Rivers of different speeds and sizes, but yeah, rivers. Are you getting tired of a life alone, eh?" He said it with a smile.
.ice aesir
Inactive Deceased
Cessair Lux
When she realized that there were few berries on the outermost branches due to their being picked off by other animals, Cessair shouldered her way deeper into the bush. This made it easier to hear Ice when he began to respond to her question, as his head was apparently also buried on the other side. She listened very carefully to the somewhat muffled voice while she harvested more blackberries, honestly interested in what he was saying. It wouldn't be long before she starved to death if she remained on her own, even with all of these blackberries, so she knew she would have to find a pack and settle in soon. The thought that she would be joining a pack became more solid in Cessair's mind with each passing day, and she consequently felt less and less inclined to wander. Her biggest problem, though, would be deciding which pack she would feel comfortable committing herself too. Ice's description so far was satisfying, though.

Upon hearing Ice make his way around to her, Cessair backed out from her position in the bush. Joining a pack is serious business, she thought, so it would be better to talk without her head stuck in a bush and her mouth full of berries. Ice described the pack territory next. <i>Sacred Grove.</i> Even the name of the area made it seem like a neat place to live. And there were rivers. Cessair was interested in the sound a river or creek makes as it passes over the riverbed, and why the water is always moving -- where it came from, where it's going. Her fascination with rivers was quite ironic, since it was a river that caused her to lose her brother. As long as she lived by flowing water, she would always be reminded of that, but maybe it would help calm her too. Maybe if she lived at peace with a river, instead of fear, her heart would be quiet enough to hear her brother's voice.

When her little fantasy started fading to black, her heart started to race. Quickly, she had to clear her mind before another agonizing flashback hit. She focused her eyes on Ice's nose, desperately trying to register his question. The words made sense after another moment, and the danger of a vision passed as she spoke. <b>"Yes. I've enjoyed wandering to a degree, but it's becoming clear to me that I won't be able to sustain myself alone. I know surviving off of summer blackberries won't be sufficient for long."</b> She didn't mention that the dark wolf stalking her would also somehow kill her off if she didn't get rid of it.
Inactive No Rank
Ice Aesir
or who is your enemy
until the   ICE breaks.
He thought there was something slightly dreamy in her gaze as she described his pack, and their location to her - and that was, according to him, a good thing. Why listen to information and not envision it at the same time? The slightest of shivers traveled down his spine. The Sacred Grove was a majestic place indeed, with its thick, mossy trees, low-hanging branches that just seemed ancient and not spooky, and the ever-present sound of running water... The largest sections of the Heartleaf divided the Grove, but a lot of smaller brooks crisscrossed it. The scent of water hung heavy everywhere, and it was hard to stay thirsty for long there. A small smile played upon his face as he watched her, waiting for her reaction. If she was displeased, he couldn't detect it, and he decided that was a good thing. After all, Cessair was a wolf he was inclined to like, but he had one large reservation about her: her pacifist ways. Silver eyes blinked, head tilting slightly to the side. He knew the woes of being a loner all too well, and a soft, tinkling laugh escaped him at the mention of blackberries. "Ah, if only we could live off these delicious little things, why, I'd probably move in here," he said in a light, teasing voice, a couple of pointy teeth showing in his grin.

But he sobered rather quickly, something serious in his eyes - thoughtful, heavy, contemplating, they landed upon Cessair's small body. Her size was nothing he disapproved of, after all, he'd seen small Athena and she still had a lot of spunk in her. So that was of no concern, never mind that everyone else in Swift River was much larger. "We are pack animals, it's only natural to wish to settle," he began in a somewhat cautious voice, tail swaying slowly behind him. "But you mentioned an aversion to fighting - is it just for foolish reasons you back away from it, like someone eavesdropping on you - but would you protect your home, your family? If someone trespassed into your land, would you dare back up your bark with a bite? If something threatened the pack's cubs, would you defend them with all you had?" After all, pups were the pack's future - without them, the pack had nothing. The very essence and lifeblood of the wolf family, nothing was more important than ensuring their survival. Ice's gaze remained on Cessair's face, not quite meeting her goldish eyes. Pacifism was, sometimes, a good thing. Just now it had inspired change in a complete stranger. But it would not work in every situation, and especially not in a pack with pups. He wanted her to give him the answer he wanted, he wanted her to say that she'd fight for the sake of the young if need be, but he also knew that no matter how hard he wished, he couldn't put flame in her if there was no room for it.
.ice aesir