(See All?) Announcements
534 Users Online
Google, Bing

Down Under the Bridge — Red Fern Forest 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Shadow who has 410 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Serach Donata
For @Sceral Clear Day, 50 F/10 C - Possibly Scavenging or Hunting?

The warmth of summer had begun to wane. The days were growing chillier and at nights Serach Donata had to bury his nose into his tail to stay warm. Fall was here, warning the creatures of Relic Lore of the impending winter. The cooling weather had kept Serach busy, because he knew from his last winter that as the weather grew colder, prey became more scarce. So that particular day, Serach had nudged his brother's shoulder and with a woof, had invited him out to see what they could do to help the pack prepare. @Zera and @Darrah were getting bigger and their appetites were growing right along with them, just as Serach's and Sceral's had the previous year. "Come on," he urged his brother, setting off towards the territory borders. Most sensible creatures stayed away from the pack's territory, so they would have to venture beyond Triell and Nayeli's marked borders if they wanted to be successful in their endeavor.

The changing colors of the leaves had caught Serach's attention even before they had crossed the border, but nowhere was the change so brilliant as in Red Fern Forest. Loping along, the yearling couldn't help but be impressed by the oranges, reds, and golds of the leaves all around him. Soon enough, the branches would be bare and the leaves would lay rotting on the ground, but until then, it was pretty to look at. "What do you think?" he called back to Sceral. "Smell anything interesting?"

[Image: AplcUOC.png]
Played by Mimi who has 64 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Sceral Donata
Ah, both sound good to me. I'm leaning towards Hunting, but I feel that Scavenging would make for a more interesting thread? So I've left my response a wee bit vague.

Fall was beginning to take hold of Relic Lore as summer drifted away. The winds were cooler, the air tasted crisp and chilly in the morning. It was a pleasant time of year, though the gradual change to winter would soon set many creatures on edge. Bears would hibernate, birds would migrate and the wolf packs would have to adapt and stock up. Yes, the cold seasons were a time of preparation and, given the dramatic weather of last year, there was no doubt that several wolves would be working hard to do their part.

As an aspiring hunter, Sceral was willing to do whatever he could to tip the scales in the pack's favour—he knew to fear Mother Nature's wrath, and knew her bitter rage. So when Serach proposed they do something to prepare for winter, the younger of the siblings was quick to take up the offer of accompanying him. There were a lot of hungry mouths to feed, especially Zera and Darrah's, so the yearlings would have to find something that would sustain them well. With his twin at his side and urging him on, Sceral felt unstoppable. Their duo was one that would be bested by no other.

And so, together, they journeyed to the fiery woods; Red Fern Forest. Everything here looked so much vibrant in autumn. His muddy eyes looked up to the canopy, wondering when the leaves would be plucked from their branches. How soon would their crisp bodies litter the ground?

“What do you think? Smell anything interesting?” Sceral blinked and lifted his nose. He gave an exaggerated sniff, his nose twitching as he did. “Well,” he called back, “pretty sure there's hares about.” When were there not? The pale adolescent had been watching a nest in Oak Tree Bend's territory. Honestly, he was hopeful that he was the only one thus far to find it. After all, it was between the border and the den site. A faint whiff of something tantalising caught his attention. A metallic scent that made his mouth water. Was that ... blood? “I think there's somethin' bigger that's injured, though. Ain't sure what yet.” Mule Deer, perhaps?
Inactive No Rank
Serach Donata
Some minor PP just to get them moving. I can change if need be!

Serach's black lips twisted upwards in a smile and he rolled his eyes at Sceral's exaggerated sniff. His nostrils flared as he scented the air himself. Instinctively his brain sorted the smells. Trees, plants, dirt, and grass - all the nature smells didn't even show up on his radar. "Yeah, hares," he said, walking towards the closet tree, his head lowered to the ground. There was something else there too, something tangy and metallic. "Definitely. That's blood," His grin grew wider, a mischievous gleam in his eye. "Maybe we'll get lucky today."

The juvenile loved the thrill of the hunt, but there was no denying that scavenging was even easier. Somebody else had done the work for them, and all they had to do was claim the prize. He breathed in again, his nose buried in a patch of grass. Enticed, he followed the trail to the base of a bush. There was something there, just on the tip of his tongue. Healthy animals didn't just drop down and die all on their own accord. Lifting his head he looked to his sibling, "Whatever got it isn't gone yet." He still couldn't place it, but hopefully, whatever it was, it wasn't too big for them to handle together.

Following the scent, the pair made their way through the wood. Careful to avoid stepping on fallen leaves or sticks, the older brother moved like a ghost, silent and focused on the task ahead of him.

Played by Mimi who has 64 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Sceral Donata
It's all good with me, Shadow <3. Question about the predator, though; what shall we make it? I'm leaning towards Black Bear, but anything works with me.

Above, the trees rattled their crisp branches. The occasional leaf drifted down, only to be thoroughly inspected by the youngster Donata's nose. As he looked up, Sceral twigged the glimmer of something mischievous in his older brother's eye and tossed him a toothy grin. Luck … perhaps, finally, they'd get a slice of it. It seemed only fair. “I hope so,” he mused aloud, flipping a stone over with his paw, “I'd rather not go home with an empty jaw, y'know?” Or belly, for that matter. If it were as big as the brothers hoped, perhaps they be able to fuel their journey back home.

Serach's comment about the injured creature's predator still being around caused the silvery yearling to draw up beside his brother and sniff around the bush. “Y'right about that one, Ser.” Sceral could only hope that it wouldn't be too much of a hassle for them to tackle. And even if it was, they could always track down those hares instead.

Walking by his sibling's side as they followed the scent trail, the sun bleached wolf's eyes were narrowed and his ears stood alert atop his head. You couldn't be too careful if there was potentially something lumbering about that could take a nice chunk out of you. “What d'ya think it is?” Sceral glanced at his twin, his voice a low whisper. “'Cause I still ain't entirely sure about it, to be honest.” There was something musty about it, but his nose kept returning to the scent of blood. Whatever it was, they could handle it easily … right?
Inactive No Rank
Serach Donata
Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! I'm down for a bear. :)

The pit of Serach's stomach was beginning to rumble as the smell of food became stronger. The goal was to bring something back for the pack, but that didn't mean he and Sceral didn't deserve their fair share. "Yeah, me neither," he agreed, salmon tongue swiping across his lips in anticipation. As eager as the yearling was, though, he knew better than to forge ahead without caution. They had to be careful and wary of the other predators that lurked in these woods. Two wolves was better than one, but even so, a hungry group of coyotes or a cougar would not want to give up its kill easily. And the smell was strong - who knew how many other scavengers were making their way towards the kill, eager to take a piece for themselves?

The youth's ear twitched at the sound of Sceral's whispered question. Serach's nose twitched in answer. Blood was heavy in the air, but there was something else there that set the yearling on edge. His hackles rose and his brow furrowed. He had been hoping that it was coyotes. "I think it's a bear," he whispered back. "I thought they'd all be sleeping by now." Apparently it wasn't quite time yet, despite the rapidly changing seasons. Looking at his twin, Serach stopped walking and waited. "Your call. Want to try and scare him off?" It wasn't going to be easy, but the yearling was confident that between the two of them, they would be able to come away with something.