(See All?) Announcements
828 Users Online
Google, Bing

now the ceiling's falling, i feel the rain — Paradise Falls 
Print · · Subscribe · 2 Loves ·
Played by van who has 146 posts.
Paradise Falls XIII. Subordinate
Riven
It was a cruel thing to do, and on some level Riven understood that. It had been beyond difficult to accept, at the time - the new title, forever marking him as severed from, removed, split apart. It was said with such malice before, as though it was a curse - and to them, it probably was. It was to Riven too, when it had happened. But where his parents had spat it out and said it with the violence the name was meant to carry, Adelard and the friends he'd once had here had all used it with more gentleness and care than Riv had thought possible of a name originally said with disgust.

He no longer thought of his newer name as a bad thing. How could it be, when it sounded so tender coming from Adelard's mouth?

But, he realized with sudden surprise, ear swiveling forward... he hadn't realized just how much he might've missed his first name as well. It was a subtle change - just one letter, - but it carried a different weight nonetheless. He hadn't expected to like it so much.

How shall I call you, mon beau?

His cheeks dusted with warmth and he searched Adelard's expression carefully. It would've been easier to tell him to call him whichever he liked better - it was Riven's first instinct to do so, after all. But what he wanted...

"Can you say it again?" he requested instead, throat a little tight with unexpected emotion. "My first name."
Played by Greyer who has 251 posts.
Paradise Falls IX. Subordinate
Adelard Gerau
"Can you say it again?"

"Mm?" Adelard hummed, meeting Riven's gaze.

"My first name."

"River."

On his tongue, the articulation of the two sounds was soft. Careful. Delicate. Like walking a tightrope across... a river. Every part of Adelard tensed, watching the Healer's expression. As much as he hoped their interactions wouldn't be so fragile one day, he relished in the novelty of it all. He could learn of Riven's true name just once.

His jaw jumped, eyes focusing on the rough scar that marred the pale muzzle he longed to 'kiss' better. To see what words or emotions might emerge in the place of eagerness. The last thing he wanted was for Riven to regret bringing up such a private, painful memory. If anyone had a deep-rooted respect for names, it was Adelard. The one who was glad when he learned that Woya would continue to use her father's surname. The one who requested that his daughters carry their mother's name while his sons carried his. A name was all a wolf had that was theirs if Adelard thought too hard about it. And, for Riven to be stripped of it was a heinous act that the Gerau would never forgive.

"River?" his tone curled up in a question this time and his head righted itself before tipping to the other side. "No matter what you're called, it makes no difference. I'll desire you all the same."
heat stroke, bring the fire
ADELARD GERAU
black smoke, I take it higher
Played by van who has 146 posts.
Paradise Falls XIII. Subordinate
Riven
After not hearing the name spoken by someone else in so many years, it was a little overwhelming. It was like another of those missing pieces being returned to him after half a lifetime of it being missing. He hadn't realized just how much he'd wished to hear someone call him River again. How much difference one letter made.

To know that he'd be wanted - desired - made his decision even more firm. Gave him a bit more courage to reclaim. Both names fit well, he felt, but there was something in the way Adelard said his first name that made River's heart skip in his chest.

It was nice.

Leaning in to press a careful kiss to Adelard's maw, slowly, to give the other man enough time to move away, Riven found himself smiling a bit wider. "I like how it sounds when you say it," he admitted softly. "If you'd like, I wouldn't mind being called River every so often."

"Whatever I'm called," he said then, feeling bold, "you have me."

Good to fade soon if you are? ^^