753 Users Online
Google, Bing

now the ceiling's falling, i feel the rain — Paradise Falls 
Print · · Subscribe · 2 Loves ·
Played by van who has 161 posts.
Paradise Falls VIII. Subordinate
Riven
@Adelard whenever you have time <3

He was feeling much better, physically and mentally. The incident at Isla's den had left him a little unsteady, and combined with the physical illness that had him avoiding everyone, not wanting to spread the sickness any further. Any attempts to approach him had been met with a soft growl and him hiding away beneath the bush he'd made his little home for the time being.

But he'd been fever-free for a while now, and though he still didn't feel the best he'd ever been, he didn't think he was contagious anymore.

He'd been trying not to take up too much of Adelard's time, considering the Isla situation, but he wanted some. The healer picked his way through the territory, searching for his love's scent.

"Adelard?" he asked when the older man came into view, tail wagging slow behind him. "Can I bother you for a minute?"

If allowed, he would worm his way under Adelard's chin, burying his face into dark fur, shamelessly affectionate. He'd missed out on some of this while he was sick, after all.
(This post was last modified: Jun 09, 2024, 02:17 AM by Riven.)
Played by Greyer who has 255 posts.
Paradise Falls VI. Subordinate
Adelard Gerau
Since the commotion at Isla's birthing den, Adelard turned into a true recluse. Instead of keeping an eye on his charge, he kept to the grounds in-between. The pack lands between its communal den at the heart and the borders. It was enough of a buffer to keep him from stepping on others' toes while staying within bounds. He could only hope his attempted seclusion would help maintain the peace for the time being.

He had been looking for a nice little spot to claim as his own when Riven had come calling.

"Adelard?"

The darker brute lifted his head from a rock he had been sniffing. He heard the smaller male approach somewhere behind him, off to the side. "Can I bother you for a minute?"

A casual snort sounded from him, his nostrils free of the scents of rabbit and squirrel. Gold eyes focused on Riven's pale face. "Sure," he permitted with a low wave of his tail. There was something of a bittersweet smile on his face, a half-wince, half-simper. He had been one of the few who had received a warning when he lobbied for a few snuggles in the middle of the night. But, that wasn't the reason why he had been more reserved and aloof.

He kept his stance as the Medic drew closer, nuzzling into his chest, throat and anywhere else he could reach. Adelard's shoulders relaxed, but his limbs felt like roots buried in the ground. He took a deep breath, centering himself as best as he could so he could return Riven's warmth. "Please, bother me all you want."

ADELARDheat stroke, bring the fire
black smoke, I take it higher
Riven
He hadn't realized just how much he'd missed the physical contact. Between the sparseness of their interactions leading up to Isla's birth, the altercation at the den, Riven's illness, and both of them isolating themselves, these moments had been few and far between. Riven was eager to snuggle in and bury himself into Adelard's thick fur, and for a moment that was all he did, before he pulled back to really study the other man's face.

He didn't seem happy in the way Riven was.

This, of course, made sense. Surely he'd done something wrong - it was silly of him to think he'd be able to just pick up where they'd left off. Chan had reacted so poorly to Riven approaching Adelard that Riven must've broken some unspoken rule, and then the healer had denied the other man's requests for closeness while he was sick. He'd gotten him into trouble and then turned him away.

No wonder Adelard didn't look happy. It reminded him of what he'd been wanting to do since the incident at Isla's den.

"I'm sorry," he said immediately, without much further thought, ear pressed back flat to his skull. He wanted to fix it, if he'd caused any issues. "For getting you into trouble with Chan, and then for not letting you near me for a while. I don't know what I did, at the den, but I did something to cause an issue." He whined a little, shame prickling up his spine. "And I didn't want you to get sick. It wasn't that I didn't want to see you or be near you. I want that, more than anything - surely you know."

He was rambling a little now, unable to stop once he'd started. "I'm just... sorry. Please let me know what I can do to make it up to you. I can talk with Chan, or step aside, leave it all alone. Whatever you think is best." He licked his lips then, stressed, and chanced a glance back up toward Adelard.
(This post was last modified: Jun 12, 2024, 01:07 AM by Riven.)
Adelard Gerau
In the brief silence between them, Adelard indulged in the closeness. It was with a tender touch that he leaned into Riven, his tongue dragging down the front of his nose to ease his anxiety. A breath in, a breath out...

Riven pulled away and Adelard straightened as best as he could. His ears were low; his tail was partly curved but not limp; the fur along his spine laid flat; and, his head held neutral. He was the opposite of the man who had once led Fools' Gold Chasm. A soft whistle of a whine left him.

"I'm sorry,"
Riven helped break the quiet, apologizing for the commotion with Chan. The Gerau looked away upon comprehending what they would talk about first. He fought to keep himself from wrinkling his muzzle and turning away. He, too, was ashamed, but not because of Riven... of this... but, rather from how the last season had panned out. He could only hope that Summer would lend him a break.

"I'm just... sorry. Please let me know what I can do to make it up to you." The words kept tumbling from Riven's lips and Adelard merely listened. He could feel those blue eyes on him, seeking his gaze and what security might have been there. Adelard was anything but secure. His eyes closed for a moment before he acknowledged his love.

"It's fine," he attempted to assure the younger man. "I don't think anything can be done." Chan did not like him, Adelard knew that for certain. Why, he could not be sure... He had never been a decent enough diplomat to know of the Valles and their legacy in the western reaches. He had let Woya and Sawyer manage that, and look where it had gotten him. Here. Clueless.

"Don't talk to Chan," he whispered under his breath. He nosed Riven's ear for comfort, his jaw clenching at the thought. Surely, when it came to the Leader of Paradise Falls, only damage could be done in terms of where Adelard stood. In a moment of impulsivity, he considered stealing Riven away and beginning a life for them both. He had to shake his head to come back to the present.

His ears began to quiver, suddenly unsure of himself. As he nuzzled back into the side of Riven's face, "Um, don't worry about it." He repeated, "It's fine." Then, when he could assess for himself that the Medic sounded a little better than he had been in the days before, "I'm glad you seem to be feeling a bit better."

Riven
There was a kind of hopelessness to the conversation. Something that made Riven irrationally want to protect Adelard from whatever was happening - to go up to Chan and demand answers, no matter how badly it would go. Who just... treated their pack mates like that? It never would've happened back at the Chasm - he was sure of it. Neither Huddy or Ad would do something like that, and at a birthing den no less. It made Riven so angry in a way he wasn't used to, and he wished for a moment that he was bigger, braver, stronger - anything that would make him enough to keep Adelard from this.

But he swallowed that anger like bile in his throat and went about doing his best to mend what he could. That was what he was better at - the anger would be no help to anyone now.

"Surely that's not true," he soothed, winding around to press their sides together in a show of support. "Nothing that's broken can't be fixed." It was a hopeful statement - whether he'd done the offensive thing or Adelard, at least they hadn't been ousted from the pack for it.

Don't talk to Chan.

Outside of going to get a few herbs from the man when he was sick, Riven hadn't, and he wasn't so sure he wanted to. Chan had seemed so kind initially, but now he couldn't get the snarling and posturing out of his head. He just couldn't wrap his mind around why it had happened. "I won't," he assured quietly, pressing a quick lick to the side of Adelard's muzzle in hopes of easing his concern. "I wasn't really feeling up to it anyway." Certainly not after that show.

Don't worry about it.

It's fine.

Riven didn't believe him. It didn't seem fine - Adelard was such a ghost of his former self, and Riv understood that losing a mate and pack would do that to a wolf, but he'd seemed so much more when Riven had first met him again.

I'm glad you seem to be feeling a bit better.

"Changing the subject," he teased then, butting his head gently against Adelard's jaw. "But yes. Much better. I wanted to make sure I wasn't contagious before I got into your space again." He offered him a small smile. "I don't think I've ever had to take care of you while you were sick before."

And he was willing to drop the former subject, but... "You can talk to me, you know. About anything," he invited. "I don't care what it is. I'd like to help you feel better, if I can." He let his tail wag slowly, a quiet whine slipping past his maw. "I care for you, so much. How you feel is important to me." His cheeks warmed significantly and he had to look away for a moment. "I just wanted to let you know that."
Adelard Gerau
A soft sigh of relief left him upon hearing that Riven wouldn't talk to Chan. Following Isla home was probably the most stupid thing he had ever done. His moral codes won out, though, and... well... if he hadn't bothered, he might not have been reunited with Riven. Maybe it wasn't stupid after all.

His smile recovered some as his love pressed his head to his jawline. Behind him, his tail lifted in another wag. Riven smiled, "I don't think I've ever had to take care of you while you were sick before."

A small huff, just to humor the Medic.

"You can talk to me, you know. About anything," It seemed his sister Aubine's words had come back to haunt him. To remind him to stay true to himself and to those he cared about. "I don't care what it is. I'd like to help you feel better, if I can."

Like before, Adelard couldn't find the words. He blinked his glossy eyes, sniffling once as he regarded Riven's smile. But, he wouldn't hold those pale eyes for long as the blond looked away. His lips pursed for a moment before he opened his mouth to speak. The words clung to his throat, but he would be damned if he held his tongue... left Riven hanging. Vulnerable. With all his cards on the table.

"As are you," he crooned, dipping his nose beneath Riven's chin and lifting it a touch. "To me." When they first met, the only thing Adelard could say was that he would have killed for Riven, to keep him safe. To keep him close and, more importantly, all to himself. After everything both wolves had been through, this was probably more appropriate. "You light up everything in my world." Something more meaningful and less intimidating than a flat-out 'I love you.'

Yes, Isla might have found him in the tidal pull of grief and brought him back to the surface. But, Riven... Riven had breathed life back into him; and, suddenly, he remembered what it was like to truly see. Sequoia branches turned vibrant green and the skies turned blue after the storms. Sunrises and sunsets bathed him in brilliant golds and citrines. Riven was the warmth of the sun and every caress of the wind. Every raindrop and star. Adelard wanted nothing but to be lost in him. To be the moth drawn to the Healer's inner glow.

Riven
It was hard to believe that, just a few short months ago, Riven was unsure he would ever be able to have anything like this again. Everything had fallen apart from under his paws, and he'd had no idea how to fix it. Fixing things was what he did. It was his job. Even so, somehow the universe had righted itself and fixed this for him - led him back to Adelard. Though they seemed to be the last two original Chasm members remaining - a fact that still drove a stake through Riven's chest each time he thought about it - at least they had each other.

Riven was never going to take it for granted. It was like his life had begun anew - changed, yes, but also righted. This was more than he could've ever asked for, rocky standing within the pack be damned. In all honesty, if something were to happen and Adelard removed from the ranks, Riven would not be far behind. There were no torn loyalties to be had here. The healer would follow him just as loyally as he had back when Adelard had led Fool's Gold Chasm.

A soft whine slipped past his maw as it was lifted, what was left of his tail wagging low and quick. Excited and smitten and always eager for the contact, Riven found himself leaning into the touch, feeling every bit the lovestruck teenager he'd been when they met years ago. It was funny how, in spite of how much time had passed, the feelings never faded - just intensified and matured with age. He was no longer ashamed of how he felt in the slightest.

"You have no idea what you mean to me," he breathed a quiet admittance, brushing their muzzles together and letting his eyes fall shut. "I would follow you anywhere." Here, or the Chasm, or all the way across the Lore. It didn't matter how close or how far. If Adelard wanted to stay here, Riven would too, and he would work to make right whatever had been wronged. As long as they were together, what else mattered, really?

And then, the strangest urge overtook him. It was something he hadn't even thought about in ages, but it felt important if he were genuinely intending on living the rest of his life with Adelard. "Did I ever tell you," he began, pulling back to seek eye contact with the older man, "that Riven isn't my real name?"
Adelard Gerau
"You have no idea what you mean to me. I would follow you anywhere."

Then and there, everything was all right with the world. At long last. Riven's eyes closed and Adelard continued to admire him. When he spoke again, ears came forward, clinging to every uttered word.

"Did I ever tell you-" Something within Adelard's chest stirred. This was further than they had ever been together. If 'I thought we were only friends' was the start of testing the water, they were swimming out into deeper waters now. Treading. Diving. Holding breaths and being suspended in the current. Weightless. "That Riven isn't my real name?"

"Oh?" Adelard's heart thumped loudly in his ears. He honestly thought the subject matter was going to be something more pressing. Like having a lover on the side or admitting that there had been several other flings in the time between. Something ridiculous.

"Have I earned the privilege to learn it?" Curiosity replaced the nervousness that had grasped at his nape and shoulders.

Riven
Have I earned the privilege to learn it?

A soft smile formed on his muzzle. This might not seem like a big deal for most, and Riven himself didn't think of it as anything groundbreaking. Levi might've even told Adelard at some point, but this was something Riv felt the need to share.

"Many times over," he assured, tail still swaying. "And I'm afraid it's nothing too exciting, but it's still part of me, and I want to share it with you." Would it be nice, to hear his original name, from Adelard? Would his current one even be something the other man would want to use, given the circumstances behind it?

"The name my parents gave me was River Ellesmere," he said - the first time he'd uttered it aloud in years. It felt novel in his mouth, like it belonged to a wolf long dead rather than himself, very much alive and well. "Though I suppose Riven was from them, too. When I was... well, when I was removed from my birth pack, they changed it for me." It used to make him sad to think about, but now he didn't mind the new moniker. No one here had ever said it with any venom, after all.

He huffed a light laugh. "Like I said, it isn't too much different from what I use now. I'm not sure I even have a right to the surname Ellesmere, either, but it was mine at some point," he said, but his tone was light - it genuinely didn't make him feel the same sorrow and isolation as it used to. What good did a last name do him, if he shared it with no one?
Adelard Gerau
Leviticus had been but a blink in Adelard's lifetime. Adelard could recall his face upon hearing his name, but what the two had talked about was gone from his memory.

Another encouragement from his love spurred another soft hum. Riven might not have thought it exciting but, to the Gerau, it was something new. When it came to the Healer, it was all fascinating.

"The name my parents gave me was River Ellesmere."

As soon as was enunciated, Adelard's mind would not let it go. It had to, though. The realization of finding out River's name had been altered needed its moment too. And, for a split-second, Adelard tasted the spite on his tongue. How dare they. It was kinder to not mention River by name at all. To change it for him had Adelard's fur on end.

"Like I said, it isn't too much different from what I use now," Riven lent with a chortle. "I'm not sure I even have a right to the surname Ellesmere, either, but it was mine at some point."

Adelard swallowed the bitterness he had found in his throat. It was in the past. Riven spoke of it that way, anyway. It wasn't like the two of them were going to gather all their forces to stomp out all who had done Riven wrong.

"Riven... River..." he tested the names on his tongue. A thoughtful tilt of his skull as if to mull the two-syllable words together. "Huh." A simple sound to convey his amusement. The more he looked at Riven, the more he could see (a now mature and well-adjusted) River Ellesmere. To the ears, it sounded very becoming. Even with scars and all, the wolf before him showed him just by being there that he was strapping and resilient.

At the end of it all, though, it was Riven's call on how he wished to be addressed. "How shall I call you, mon beau?"