513 Users Online
Bing, Google

same roads lead to same destinations — Paradise Falls 
Print · · Subscribe · 3 Loves ·
Played by Cade who has 909 posts.
Paradise Falls I. Leader
Chan Eastfall
for @Isla only, to talk ranks.

Accepting that @Finley was really gone was hard, and the reasons why were many and varied. While his generation faded out of existence, though, their youth still had many more years of life to look ahead to. It couldn't be ignored that the shifting in ranks had brought about a new possibility for one particularly young face, and to prolong the talk any longer would be a disservice to both Isla and the pack.

He sought her out when her scent wasn't accompanied by her boys', letting out a chuff in greeting (and warning) when he began to close in on her location. Maybe it should feel a little odder, seeking collaboration with someone who he purposefully minimized interaction with. Out of consideration for what he assumed was her own preference, even. It didn't, though. In fact, it had been a little while since he'd last been so sure of a decision.

"Isla?" he called out, just before she came into view.

"Do you have a moment to talk?"
Played by becca who has 233 posts.
Paradise Falls II. Leader
Isla Valle

The boys had been given part of an old deer hide to fuss over. Truthfully they were beginning to reach a stage where she felt they'd find fine entertainment by their own accord, but she was there to promote the growth and competitions between them.

Meanwhile she had set out to have a moment alone. She had not forgot who she was beyond motherhood. Her path had set her towards the borders for a quick round, only for her attention to be pulled in by something else. Rather someone else. Admittedly she figured he was here for any other reason than her alone. Perhaps the boys or to speak of Finley.

She had not realized how badly she wished it was not to speak of Finley. She could barely hold the thought for long.

"I do. The boys are busy." A way to say that whatever he has to say does not need to be rushed. Nor does it need to be watered down for a child's ears.

Paradise Falls I. Leader
Chan Eastfall
Chan smiled politely as she answered affirmatively, and it warmed at mention of her children. They often were when so young, weren't they? He didn't speak on it though, plenty sure she didn't much care for his thoughts on the matter. Or any, really. His lips had parted, but the words weren't immediate. It felt wrong to bring up Finely and wrong not to at the same time. Perhaps he should have planned out what he'd wanted to say exactly.

Not a good start to co-leading, was it?

He sighed, eyes closing and brows knitting as a brief look of frustration passed freely over his features.

"I'm sorry, Isla. I don't really know how to talk with you, if I'm being completely honest. I know there isn't much I can do right. You have an opportunity now, though, and I don't want to be an obstacle. If it's too soon, we can speak another time."

Or not at all, if she wasn't interested in more responsibility.
[Image: 5BdYuOb.png]
Isla Valle

"I'd rather -" She wondered for the briefest moment when she had decided to start talking instead of fighting or brute strength. "We talk now." Her posture was neither hostile nor submissive. Tentatively neutral, a slight raise of her chin but that was born more from curiosity instead of aggression.

"Just...talk to me as if I am anyone else. I believe I have proven myself to be a steady force in the Falls, a far cry from the child you first met." She was no longer that little girl watching a sister fall through ice. Maybe the moment had molded her forever, but it was further behind her than near anything else now.

She needed this. Her sons needed this.

Autumn would turn to winter and soon into another spring. Time would march on. It was better they figured out the future when they could, instead of being forced into it by another turn of the clock's hands.

Paradise Falls I. Leader
Chan Eastfall
Now was what he felt best about too. The sooner things were decided, the sooner everyone could settle into them, and the longer they were given to do so before the next major event. He nodded, the line of his shoulders relaxing a touch at her apparent openness.

Like everyone else, hm? Chan couldn't help but still have reservations, and none that came from what he thought of her character or maturity. His smile returned, though it was faint.

"Of course you are. You've done wonderfully, Isla."

He wanted to say that her parents and family would be immensely proud, but that was yet another thing he felt was not his place. Surely not if she blamed for having to be apart from them in the first place, and it certainly felt to him as though she did, regardless of where they might stand now.

"You've contributed, you've worked hard, you've been reliable, your children are healthy and happy... If leadership is what you want for yourself, I think now is a good time. While I can offer support as co-lead as you learn and gain experience."

In the future, it couldn't be guaranteed she'd have such option. Far better this than being thrusted into it, unexpectedly and alone.
(This post was last modified: Sep 16, 2024, 11:44 PM by Chan.)
Isla Valle

Some childish part of her wanted to sneer, to say of course I have but she refrained. Instead only a level look of her pale gaze. Listening, understanding.

There is something passing between them. Nearly like a ghost sinking cold hands into her. She did not think him so dim or blind as to not notice her climb. Yet here he comes to her first. No competition, no aggressiveness to it. Something feels missing within her as if he had plucked it away from her when she was not looking. Maybe this was what it felt like to be at the end of what you were looking for.

She did not think it would come like this.

"I believe that would be best for both of us." It is the diplomatic answer. Meanwhile her mind struggled around what was next. Perhaps it had been naivety to think everything slotted into place when she reached her heights. Instead it only left an endless expanse of nexts and what ifs to explore. "I am grateful you have come to me to offer this on your own accord." She knew she had not ever been very grateful for him before and perhaps he will feel the weight in her words tenfold for it.

Is this what growth is?

(This post was last modified: Sep 16, 2024, 11:58 PM by Isla.)
Paradise Falls I. Leader
Chan Eastfall
Chan couldn't help but cock a brow at her choice of words, smile strengthening. Amused, more than anything. To say it hadn't crossed his mind that Isla might use her growing clout to one day oust him would be a lie. All the same, and perhaps naively so, Chan did not anticipate any real attack from the young woman, even if she did truly hate him. What was there to gain, really? Especially now, he supposed, though that had not been a part of his motivation.

"Then its settled. Welcome to leadership, Isla."

Always rather anticlimactic, wasn't it? He held back a smirk, quite certain that like everyone else did not mean they were on teasing terms. Anyways, this was likely a big moment for her, and he wouldn't want to take from that.

"I'm honored to work beside you. Perhaps we can start with your choosing how to announce the news?"

After all, it was her accomplishment to share. Whether she wanted to go big or keep it simple, he'd be supportive. He didn't anticipate having to remind her to be sensitive of Finley's passing.
Isla Valle

The ball was in her court for the announcement of this expanding leadership.

Yet not a single idea came to mind. Still too inwardly surprised at it suddenly being here within her hold. Part of her wished to turn back to her boys at once and tell them what had happened. They might not understand the weight of it all, but she knew one day they might.

"Is there anyone you would wish to go tell first?" She thinks of @Adelard and @Nadine following her own sons. Maybe Chan had faces in his mind, too, for who he might tell personally. Perhaps it is good to let the word spread naturally so there is no grand fanfare on the tail end of tragedy. "I do not think any announcement should be large or at great length, either way." A contemplative nature to her face and tones now.

(This post was last modified: Sep 17, 2024, 12:34 AM by Isla.)
Paradise Falls I. Leader
Chan Eastfall
She answered in a way that already made him feel a little reassurance. Considerate on multiple fronts. His head bobbed in agreement to her musing before giving a prompt answer to her question. He had every intention of immediately seeking out @Flair once this conversation was finished.

"Flair. In all transparency, I still very much consider myself merely her stand-in. She will continue to have full knowledge of anything and everything I do as leader."

For now, it was she who Chan hoped to one day cede leadership to, and who would then be a more permanent partner for Isla. The things that had kept her from retaking the position so far clearly could not be ignored, however. Maybe it would be someone like Atara or even Nadine who ended up one day settling into the role.

"Nothing needs to be decided now, and you're certainly welcome to seek me out any time. It might be good for us to discuss things such as Towser and his assailant, those aspiring for roles, and..."

He pointedly didn't mention relations with the Cove, banking on Isla wanting nothing to do with the mountain pack to escape needing to touch on his own family matters.

"Well, I'd like to ask a question about @Adelard. Two, technically."
Isla Valle

It was the logical answer and she nodded firmly. She figured that Flair would hear anything and everything from Chan for a multitude of reasons. She knew better than to question on why the ginger woman was not simply his advisor but...they were still too fresh into this to press such questions, she imagined.

Or maybe not. The topic of Adelard loomed and Isla felt something stir within her. Conflicted, protective, uncertain. Perhaps this was the best way to test the waters are new co-leads. It was her who had told Chan to speak to her like everybody else, after all. She had no one to blame but herself for this well connected chain of events.

"Ask those first, then we can get everything else settled." Admittedly she had been so lost in the haze of birth and newfound love that whatever had occurred beyond the den on her sons' arrivals had gone unnoticed.