651 Users Online
Google, Bing, Apollo

like real people do — Grizzly Hollow 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Ace who has 462 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Veho Macieo
For @Rook - set immediately after this thread
Also, if you're curious, this is the song I listened to while writing.

One chapter of his life had come to an end – but what followed death of the old but birth of the new? Behind him lay life as a loner, with him now he carried a pack animal, no longer reliant on only his own four paws and the benevolence of those that came before him. Eagerly enough he trucked after Rook. There would be so much to see, so much to do – Borden had given him a short list, after all, and medic that he might be, he had no intention of failing in any of those tasks. But there would be time for that, all the time in the world, even! Now was the time for his companion; all other thoughts could be put to rest.

It went on like this, companionable silence or playful persiflage, as Veho was shown around the Lyall's claim. First was the den he would begin to organize as a medic's cache, followed by borders, the pack den, and finally, the original foundation of the Grizzly Hollow pack. A very enlightening little walkabout, he had to say, but it did not quench the desire he'd started this little expedition with. The gentle brush to the underside of his jaw was returned with a compassionate press of teeth, a tender nibble with pinpricks of affection.

"You need not thank me, my friend," Veho exhaled, eyes alight like a pair of blue moons. "In fact, I think it is I who ought to extend my thanks to you! Where would I be now, without your generous offer? Certainly not here, and certainly not in such high spirits," he mused, pressing forward for another warmhearted token. Nose pressed to the Lyall's cheek, his tail swung behind him in a lazy arc. He could stay here all night, he thought to himself, though that hardly seemed like a viable option. "I was uncertain, at first, if joining a pack was what my Ancestors had wanted of me – but I am quite confident now this was absolutely what I was meant to do. I am…I am very happy, Rook. I would like you to know that."

Played by Grey who has 444 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Rook Lyall

Well-versed as ever the modesty came in a string of words that spoke directly to Rook's heart. When they had first met, this whole thing with the word "friend" had Rook believing that Veho had always called the personable rogue as such, but now it was something Rook had thought of as his own personal endearment. It was a name and title reserved only for him. Selfish or not, the Lyall was enamored by the new recruit. If he was capable of blushing, as any bashful human might do, he might have been pink in the cheeks and in the tips of his ears.

"As am I," he returned, cherishing this sort of closeness as much as he dared. It was different, being with Veho than with, say, his parents or Quil or Namid or even with @Titan in passing every so often just to catch up. In fact, it stirred within him that same sort of longing that @Beren had inspired, but even then it was its own brand of yearning. This would not just be some sort of "summer love" as other might have called the "thing" Rook had with Beren last year. No, there was something more certain about being with Veho...something more stable and much, much more down-to-earth. "Very much so."

The longer they stood there together, the more Rook found himself feeling as though he had all four feet on the ground. There was no itching sensation in his limbs that made him want to run or hide away from the world. There was nothing heavy on his shoulders in knowing that he found someone at long last to help him in his quest and, perhaps, make it so that he did not feel so alone anymore.

What was transpiring here and now was something that did not rival the love he had of his beloved Quil or his parents; actually, the feeling that all this inspired felt new and uplifting. It was simply different. He would have it no other way and he was loath to either give it up or even share it with anyone else in the family. These little caresses and "kisses" in secret were for Veho - and Veho alone - and he would lament the day, if it ever came, for the two of them to part.

"So, where to now?" his voice came to the medicine man's ears in what could have been a soft, lilting kind of tune in four mellow notes. He did not even think of moving, a part of him certain that he would soon be missing this brief moment between them as soon as it had come to fully pass. He would gaze upon those pale silver eyes again if only he were patient.

Chances are I have a BEN WHISHAW gif for that.
Inactive No Rank
Veho Macieo
"I am glad to hear it, or this entire affair would be a rather selfish one on my behalf, would it not?" Veho chuckled softly, swinging his head. Little did he realize, the wolf he'd grown so attached to had a mate of his own, a child who called him 'father' – but ignorance was bliss, and the medic was content to think he was pleasantly wrapped up in his companion's affections as he was welcomed to the family's pack. With a content hum, the older wolf shook out his thick pelt, a mite of consideration in his tone before he nodded outwards, away from the center they'd come to.

Another soft croon, and he turned his gaze back to the man who had transformed so quickly from complete stranger to beloved friend, studying his features for but a moment before speaking up. "I had a notion to look for the moon tonight, if you do not find yourself opposed? Though if you do not wish to leave the forest, I understand," the medic murmured, searching Rook's expression as he made his suggestion. It was not a dire need, but a passing fancy – one that he was often able to treat himself to as a rogue. Things were different now, though, and if he were absolutely honest with himself, the Macieo hadn't quite the idea where the lines were supposed to be drawn.

After a moment, he tipped his head, allowing his shoulder to bump into the slightly smaller wolf. Eyes sparkled like the stars he sought as he rumbled again, one paw striking at the ground. "I'd not keep you up though, if you're tired my dear. It seems that your father keeps you busy, when we're apart."

[Image: vehopix_by_euphoriclies-d98a201.png]
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
There is a moose carcass that has been scavenged by coyotes nearby. +15 Health
Inactive No Rank
Rook Lyall

At the proposal of looking for the moon, the Lyall's eyes drifted skyward to where the boughs of the ancient evergreens crowded together, allowing only small slivers of the sky to show through. Stargazing was better in other areas of the territory but with such an invitation like that, Rook found that he couldn't say no. Quil would understand, or so he believed that she knew that he was very busy with the usual border patrol and responsibilities of taking care of his father, and he was very sure that he would make a point to check on her and spend some time with her and Tomen the following afternoon. Everything so far - the establishing of the pack, the den he had made with his very own paws, and the reunion of what little family he could find - had been for them. Tonight, just for once, what he chose to do would be for him and for Veho.

"No," he smiled, taken now by the rogue's winsome charm. "Let's." His plume of a tail waved slowly in the air, the expression on his face obviously one of cub-like enthusiasm and zeal. He had waited so long for this day, he couldn't be sure he could turn down this chance to have Veho for himself and not have to worry about anything else. "He'll be fine," Rook assured him about Borden. "He's been better these days. If he didn't return to the den as he should have, we would have heard of it by now." He said little else, the truth about his union to Quil and the fact that they had had a son together just earlier in the season would come to light in due time. For now, he wanted to savor the fleeting feeling of having little to no responsibilities whatsoever. No parents to worry about, no family to tend to, no dangers to mind so long as the two of them stayed together and kept themselves out of trouble...

The playful shoulder bump was returned in such a way to subtly suggest that Rook was all his to lead and whisk away. "Wherever you want to go, we shall go." He couldn't help but wonder if perhaps he might actually be asleep in the den with Tomen sprawled across his back, caught up in a dream. "Let's find the moon."

(This post was last modified: Jul 25, 2015, 07:57 PM by Rook.)

Inactive No Rank
Veho Macieo
The enthusiasm was better than any words that might have fallen from the wolf's lips, and the faithful shared his glee with a small bark. For as long as Rook was his to hold dear in that spot where his heart was supposed to be, he would keep him as the most treasured gift he'd ever known. "You ought to be careful, with offers like that. I might just take you up on it," the male replied, a husky tenor to his tone as he bumped his companion one more time. With that, he set off at a steady trot – he was in no great hurry to find the moon. The journey was as rewarding as the destination, after all.

It was not difficult to find the pale orb in the sky, once they came upon a break in the forest. Veho slowed to a halt, glancing over his shoulder as he waited for the other to join. "It is beautiful," the man exhaled, expression soft and reverent. Not unlike yourself, he thought, but had not the courage to allow such bold words to pass his dark lips. Instead, he offered the masked male a brush of chin across his withers before circling around him once, settling more comfortably at his side.

"I've sometimes wondered about the moon," Veho hummed, gaze drifting somewhere far away. "So handsome, hung in the sky amidst the twinkle of those stars. But mustn't it be lonely up there, so far away from all the wolves? Not even the Ancestors can walk on the moon." The medic allowed himself a brief chuckle – what a queer thought! Wolves walking across the sky. Still, how glorious might it be, to be cloaked in the darkness and crowned with stars, the pale light to warm the tips of his fur. Subtly (subtly, he told himself, though the shuffle sideways was anything but), the newest recruit pressed himself into Rook's side. "Do you ever speak with the Ancestors, my dear?"

Inactive No Rank
Rook Lyall

A boyish grin settled upon his masked features and as the duo set off, Rook was more than happy to let Veho take the lead. He mostly kept at Veho's right flank rather than at his back, keeping in step as he occasionally looked up to see if there was a moderately sized gap in-between the branches. Rook had been so engrossed in the darkening hues of the evening sky that he had taken a few steps too many after Veho had stopped. For a time, it seemed, they just stood there, gaping at the sight of the moon as if they had never seen it before in their lives.

"It is beautiful," Veho commented. It was here that Rook consciously closed his jaw with a soft click of his teeth; he walked backward so that he could stand shoulder-to-shoulder with his companion again. He took a side-glance at him, holding his breath as Veho grazed his chin across the nape of his neck. Once he had walked about him and settled back down, the Lyall did the same, shifting a couple of times until he found the pine needles beneath him to be comfortable beneath his rump and heels.

Rook could have drowned in those silver irises in the way they seemed to reflect the faint moonbeams as Veho mused about the sun's "nocturnal" counterpart. "So handsome," the Macieo continued. Rook had to look away, suddenly much too conscious of himself for his own good, even if Veho was not even talking about him. He nodded at his comment about the moon being lonely, focusing on the sky again. The chuckle made Rook's cheeks warm up beneath his fur and he couldn't help but to grin along. But as the medic came to press himself against his side, the Lyall let out a small sigh. He couldn't even remember the last time he and Quil had done something like this; and, while this made her miss her and the way they had once been, he forced himself to remain in the present, to cherish this memory as it had begun to unfold. This, through Veho, was a chance to be happy again.

Then, there it came again, that sentiment of my dear... Really, when he had first heard it, he thought he might have made it up or somehow misheard it. His ears perked up as he mulled over the idea. Talking to the Ancestors... probably not. He made a face in mid-thought but as quickly as it appeared, it fell away. "Not... really," he admitted, momentarily confused. "I've talked to my brothers before?" His voice seemed to curl up in an uncertain question, wondering if that counted. "They... They were gone long before I was born but they were laid to rest along the river. I think they listen sometimes when the trees grow still and river's babbling quiets a little."

"I've tried talking to a deity once," he continued, never letting his eyes leave the moon. "Prayed to Him and atoned my sins for Him... but I don't know anymore. There wouldn't be enough penitent prayer for me to put me in His saving grace after all I've done. I don't think it's worth it anymore. I don't want to be sorry for the sins I've committed when they've made me so happy."

Inactive No Rank
Veho Macieo
The answer was not a bad one – as far as the healer was concerned, there was no wrong answer in this regard.  A man's faith was a personal thing.  It Rook had told him he'd rather not discuss the matter, the older wolf would have simply left it there.  But he'd replied in more of a question than a statement, and the larger animal felt compelled to keep speaking on the subject.  "I talk to my sister, sometimes," he confided in his companion.  He had mentioned Neha before, he was certain – she was, after all, the very reason on this path.   While he could never be glad she was pulled from the waking earth at such a young age, he could at least (and was, in fact, very) grateful it had steered him towards the path he tread today."I talk to her when I simply want someone to listen.  Sometimes…just setting my thoughts free is a very healing experience, I've found.  Since I was often on my own, Neha always seemed the most natural choice." The corner of his lips turned up as he turned his gaze from the glimmering moon, studying the other subordinate for a moment.  It was similar with the other Lyall boys, he suspected – even if he'd never met them, they were an audience who did not judge, and always had open ears.  Remembering family, even those no longer with us, was a very healthy practice.

But before he could say any more on the matter, Veho found himself struck by the notion that perhaps his friend may have had a different spiritual upbringing altogether.  He didn't seem terrible to Him, whomever He might be – but what kind of deity required those loyal to repent for what made them whole?  The male snorted softly, shaking his head.  "Then perhaps He is not for you," the medicine man replied simply, eyes drifting back to the nighttime sky.  His Ancestors did not condemn him for anything, he knew, even when he'd made mistakes or poor choices.  "There is beauty in forgiveness, and I am not sure I trust something that refuses it to others.  But perhaps I speak out of turn.  I do not know this Him.  I know only that my father raised me to respect those that came before me – and they are wolves of all types.  Some were wise and kind, some were selfish and conniving…there were even the cowardly and the frightened.  Life is…all of these things.  It is strange to me, that someone, or something, might try to cut out what it considers 'undesirable'.  Isn't there beauty in everything?  No soul is black or white – cutting someone lose fragments all hope of seeing what they might become."

The male stilled his tongue, becoming increasingly aware that he was rambling – the Ancestors were always one of his favorite topics.  "My Ancestors do not judge me," he sighed, shaking his head.  "I will join them, someday, regardless of how I live my life.  It is up to me to do my best, to uphold my own standards, and become the wolf I wish to be – the Ancestors will show me the path, but it is my choice to walk on it – as it is yours," he finally hummed, turning his pale gaze back to his companion.  No matter what Rook believed, he would always be presented with choices.  Some decisions were easier than others, but ultimately, the medic believed his friend would not find happiness or fulfillment unless he made those choices himself. "Ah, but I digress. I do not recall you asking for a lecture on this topic. Forgive me, my dear – sometimes I let my tongue get ahead of my mind. One of my many sins, I suspect."

Whoops.  V got away from me on that one.  <<
(This post was last modified: Jul 25, 2015, 08:01 PM by Veho. Edit Reason: just realized I left half a paragraph out o-o )
Inactive No Rank
Rook Lyall

Being so disconnected from {Kiche's} teachings have obviously had an effect on the young Lyall; and, without his sister Bishop to keep him in check, his mind was free to wander as it wished, to keep and discard all sorts of information and beliefs at will. His father Borden never prayed and Rook was never so sure why he constantly emphasized that he and Bishop take the ginger saint's words and preachings to heart. Perhaps it was something he would never understand, but he knew now to think better of it and leave and take what he liked of the concept of religion. So far, however, he would very much rather be free of it. He would let the chips fall where they may, so to speak, and never again regret wanting to live in the moment.

When the mention of Neha came up again, Rook should have remembered when Namid had told him about her siblings but the memory did not come. She had left him, just as Beren had, and their moments together were only typically accessible during the nights in which he felt alone, even while he laid curled up around Quil and their son in the dark. Neha seemed like the type of girl that Prosper and Theo might have befriended, Rook concluded. How or why, he couldn't place it, but it was a shame that they would never know the world as he and Veho knew it. Or, maybe, they had been too good for it to begin with or their plans had already come to completion. The Lyall had to veer his thoughts from the idea of Heaven. As much as he had skewed his God-fearing faith, he was determined to believe he, among other creatures, were not condemned to this hell outside of and beyond the Garden of Eden. Being with the ones he loved, with Tomen and Veho, reminded him that there was more to life than just trying to be good and right.

Veho's snort brought the younger wolf's gaze to his face, the half-moon's glow illuminating what it could and casting a shadow upon the rest of him, emphasizing the silver irises that made up his eyes. "Then perhaps He is not for you." Rook's jaw clenched and one side of his mouth twitched. "Perhaps," he whispered as if he might have been expecting his twin to come springing up from the underbrush to call him out on such a confession. He thought the silence between them might have stretched further into the sort of quiet that was comfortable and pleasant but Veho continued; and, the more he spoke, the more Rook came to realize just how right he was and, yet, how beautiful his instilled outlook was in contrast to his own. Why couldn't he be taken as he was? Why did he have to repent and beg and pray to be forgiven and not accepted simply for being? Had he known about his grandmother's penchant for her own spirits, her own beliefs in animism, he might have adopted it instead of whatever pseudo-Christianity that Kiche constantly went on about. Angels and Saints and the Savior and Pangur... Ridiculous. All of it.

A musing note hummed from Rook as his companion questioned the idea of everything having its own sense of beauty. Personally, he could attest to it. It was how he saw most things... most creatures... most other wolves. A shake of that tawny head had Rook's gaze fixated down on the ground where his paw was set mere inches away from Veho's; and, upon hearing what the other believed, about how he would join his Ancestors regardless of what paths he had chosen in life, he peered over at him to hold his gaze. He tried to smile but stopped when the word sins tumbled from his friend's lips.

"No!" he protested, searching the older man's face. "It's fine. Goodness only knows how long I've waited to hear something like that." For a second he seemed panicked, almost frantic. If he could have made quite the argument, he would have liked to believe that it was souls like Veho's that were pure and holy. Veho Macieo was a saint. His saving grace.

"That wasn't a sin," he murmured, his voice quieting again. His ears drew back and he momentarily trembled. As tempted as he was to lavish the medic with as many kisses as he could muster, the ones that he had been keeping at bay over the past several days, he remained in place. "I don't think you could commit them, even if you tried."

Inactive No Rank
Veho Macieo
Veho threw his head back and laughed, a beautiful sound akin the soft chime of bells – or angels' wings. So strong was Rook's faith! He might even rival the medicine man himself. The throat brought a flood of warmth welling up into his chest, and he could not help but lean in to press his muzzle against his companion's once more, tongue brushing under his chin several times. "I am sure I could," he argued playfully, moonbeams dancing across his eyes. He knew he had, when he was younger, more foolish, and less caring of those around him. "But you see? Isn't that just it? A sin in my eyes may not be a sin in yours. Why put all your trust, hope, and faith in one single being, and hope to the world's end and this being is…right?" he asked, having no love for the religion it seemed had originally been introduced to.

No, an unforgiving god was not a god at all, not in his mind.

"That is why I consult Ancestors, many of them. It is a cornucopia of opinions. Sometimes, I don't want them all. But it always gives me food for thought," he hummed, not bodily able to press himself any closer to Rook. The Ancestors were one of his favorite topics – obvious in his rapt attention and the hint of fervor in his tone. A heavy sigh shuddered out of him, nothing but satisfaction in his limbs as he shifted to drape his head across the other male's shoulders. "If you are curious, I can take you with me sometime, when I visit them. There are mushrooms that make it much easier to cross the veil. I always find it pleasant, connecting to them – though I am aware some wolves don't wish to be so close to outside forces." It was a strange thought, really – the Ancestors had always done right by him. Hadn't they led him here? Hadn't they steered him back, in the moment of greatest doubt?

"I have another question for you – Gaheris. Am I meant to change my name, as well?"