Google, Bing, Magg

You Called — Secret Woodlands 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by PuppyThief who has 418 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Aideen Smoke-Athesila
@Nina <3 - we can backdate it closer to the meeting if you like

- Late morning, Sunny - 67 ° F/19 ° C

Getting up early was a habit so ingrained in the vixen healer that whenever she slept in, it always came as quite a shock; to herself above all else. She had no concrete plans for the day, maybe that was why she didn't wake up like she used to. Instead, when her eyes finally blinked open, bright daylight was already pouring in through the den opening, and the den itself was deserted. Per habit, her first action was to turn, looking for @Miccah - he was an early riser like herself, and it was common for him to already be gone when she awoke - still, a tiny stab went through her heart when she did not find him by her side. With a small sigh, she shook out her fur, yawning lightly before she moved to exit the den. Perhaps she would go searching for her mate at the borders - the thought made a silly smile spread on her lips - he was sure to be out patrolling, protecting his home diligently, as always.

Aideen stretched as she came out into the light, enjoying the gentle warmth of the sun, peaking through the leaves high above. Soon it would get too warm in its rays, and the wolves of Secret Woodlands would be forced to remain in the shade of their thicket; A shame... She much enjoyed basking in the sun, but in high summer it got to hot, even for her. Besides, she didn't have time to lie around, there were always things that needed doing. Waving her tail lightly, the medic set off into the thicket, heading for her infirmary. Her stock was well maintained and the den itself clean and orderly, but she could always find something to change or add. And after that, she would continue on through her home, checking on her pack mates and making sure everyone was healthy and happy. That was her obligation after all.

Word count: 325

"Speech" Thoughts

(This post was last modified: Aug 03, 2015, 01:25 PM by Aideen.)
Played by Lightning who has 1,043 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Nina Hervok
I'm assuming this is before the rank challenge? <3

Things were getting better for Secret Woodlands. With new allies and a healthy amount of members, Nina was confident that things were slowly starting improve. However, even as things were starting to improve, Nina was ever so aware of the changes she was going through. A few days ago, she had looked at her reflection and was greeted with the graying of her fur. When she looked into her single orb she found exhaustion, there was a certain amount of happiness behind it, but the older woman could feel in herself that she was getting older. She had done everything she could for others in her lifetime and knew that eventually, she would need to do certain things for the pack and herself that would be in their best interest. Feeling quite nostalgic, Nina found herself making her rounds at the borders before circling back towards the infirmary, knowing that it was where she had spent at least half of her life. The reminder that she needed to speak with Aideen about something rang in her ears and she was quick to speed up her pace in the hopes of intercepting the young woman when she got there.

Nina had always been quick on her paws, but on this day, she was feeling particularly slow. When she got to the herbal den, she was pleased to see that her friend was already there, a small smile on her features as she looked at the auburn woman. Clearing her throat to announce her presence, the golden queen spoke gently, "Aideen, if you have a moment, there is something I must speak with you about." Her tail swayed comfortably above her back, in a friendly manner, making it clear that while this was business, she was still going to be equally as friendly towards the young Medic. Aideen had learned much since the time she had joined and the Hervok had come to think of the other woman as a younger version of herself. The golden alpha was going to try to ensure that it stayed that way and that she would never have to face the monstrosities that she had to face as a young dam.

It seems when you're around, my life is complete.
Inactive No Rank
Aideen Smoke-Athesila
It would be yes :)

It didn't take long for the medic to reach the spacious den that had once been Miccah's, the happy little smile still on her face as she entered. The inside was, as she expected to find it, light and clean, with neat little rows of dried and fresh herbs, roots and flowers lining the walls. Nodding in satisfaction, she moved out into the daylight again, shaking her fur with a content little sigh. She was beginning to plan the rest of her day, again contemplating a trip to the border, when the sound of soft pawsteps in the underbrush got her attention. The tri colored wolfess turned to see her one eyed leader emerged from out of her thicket, movements smooth and confident, leaving no one to doubt her regality or familiarity with the territory.

The golden queen greeted her subordinate in her strong, melodic voice, and Aideen smiled up at her, bowing her head lightly; "Nina. Of course." The younger shewolf answered, moving to nib the golden chin lovingly, ears calmly lain to the side and tail waving at her hocks. In her years in the Woodlands, the medic's relationship with her alphess had evolved, from fearful respect into a deep connection of shared passions and mutual recognition. Nina had become a mentor, friend and replacement mother figure to the younger woman, helping her through both ups and downs and pushing her to reach her full potential, as a medic and as a person in general. Aideen owed so much to the elder female, and she longed to return the favors any way she could.

She had had her doubts, but Aideen was Nina's loyal subordinate, and now finding herself as the queen's second, she would do anything to fulfill that responsibility. So she sat back, full attention turned on her queen, patiently waiting to hear what she had to say. I have something to say as well! The petite healer remembered, feeling a happy heat rise in her cheeks, while the developing relationship between her and Miccah had never been a secret, they had never spoken directly with their leader about it. Remembering her mate's words, that day before they began their journey home from the east, she felt like now was the time; We will do this RIGHT!

Word count: 381

"Speech" Thoughts
Inactive Deceased
Nina Hervok

She was greeted warmly by her friend and a pleasant smile formed on the alpha’s lips, pleased that she had caught Aideen in time. She had been highly elated to find that Miccah and Aideen had returned together, proving their loyalty to her even more so. Acknowledging that this trip was about business, Nina mentioned for Aideen to take a walk with her through the territory. Her limbs would get too sore if she remained still for too long and an extended stretch after their talk was not something that the alpha had time for. She moved at a leisurely pace through her territory, taking her time to come to term with her thoughts before she began. Clearing her throat, words came from Nina’s mouth, placed tactfully and gracefully, "As you know…I am getting older and certainly am never going to be getting any younger." She paused then, continuing to walk in silence.

Opening her jaws, she continued, "Soon, I’m going to need someone else to step up and lead. I have lead since the founding of Secret Woodlands and there have been many good and bad times. And yet, I still do not regret any of my time. I created this family based on a new beginning, a new chapter for others." She paused again, allowing Aideen to let her words sink in. It did not take long for Nina to get to her main point, "What I’m trying to say is, I do believe that my chapter of leading is coming to an end and I want you to step up in my place as alpha, but," she paused then, allowing her condition to hang in the air for a moment, "Come springtime, you must prove yourself worthy of being an alpha…if you are able to do so, the position is yours." She then stopped walking and looked down at the smaller woman with her single eye, waiting to hear the reaction from the younger woman.

Inactive No Rank
Aideen Smoke-Athesila
Long post ahead! Obviously, Aideen had a lot of feelings about this ^^;

To her young apprentice, Nina was an unstoppable force! While everything else had crumbled, the queen of Secret Woodlands had stood straight, carrying on her family without fail, keeping a light burning even in the darkest of times. It seemed only logical that her rein would be eternal, everyone else would fail, grow old, disappear, but Nina would remain; She IS the Woodlands! Miccah had said this, and at the time, the vixen medic had been caught up in her own feelings, hurt, confusion and insecurity making the comment seem ridiculous, sparking only jealousy within her. Now she saw the truth clearly, like she had before, in those simpler days when her life was merely providing for the pack and studying under Nina, to achieve her life goal of becoming a healer. Then winter had stolen her away, and everything changed. But after coming clean with Miccah, and reuniting with Iopah, to get the air cleared, Aideen had realized that her true home was where it had been all along, under Nina's rule and protection, in Secret Woodlands.

Nodding at her queen's request to walk with her, the petite girl followed her leaders assured steps through the thicket. Nina moved with such a smooth flow through her land, while her subordinate had long learned how to navigate the dense shrubbery, she doubted she would ever master it like the golden dame. And yet there was something different about the lady's gait, an unfamiliar stiffness, not stopping her from moving through her kingdom without falter, yet still enough to draw Aideen's eyes. They walked for a while in silence, the medic's gaze naturally drifting over the surrounding vegetation, noting the state of the different herbs and committing locations of new sprouts to memory. Glancing sideways, she could see her companion doing the same, an old habit that was hard to kill, surely.

Finally Nina started to speak, instantly drawing her second's full attention, rusty ears perked at the strange words. The subject was unexpected, yet eerily close to the tri-colored lass' former thoughts. Her first instinct was to snort, the idea of Nina growing old like a bad joke to her. But then her copper eyes drifted back down to those golden legs, moving with just that missing touch of easer. Suddenly, she remembered that day after her return from the north, when Nina had come to her to check on her recovery. The queen had looked unusually worn, eyes tired and cheeks slightly hollow. Aideen had wondered that day, about her health and age. But things had bettered so much! Already when he and Miccah had returned from beyond the mountain, the one eyed alphess had looked stronger and as determined as ever. The betrayal of Koda and Iopah had drained the woman, but, like with everything before, she had weathered it out, returning with even more willpower than before.

In the end Aideen simply answered the statement with a solemn nod, agreeing, but not exactly seeing where this was going; Does she want help, something for her aching joints perhaps? But why would the queen need her medic's help for that? Nina had taught her nearly everything she knew about healing. They walked a while more without speaking, then the older female continued, voice its usual, mellifluous yet authoritative tone. The words made her smaller companion stop in her tracks, eyes widening in alarm; What..?! Nina speaking about stepping down was not only surprising but unthinkable, what would Secret Woodlands be without her at its helm. Aideen turned to her leader, ready to counter her words, proclaim that Nina was not nearly too old for her position, that she had to keep leading! But the expression on her face made the words stick in the rust pelted girls throat.

Warm, emotional, copper eyes met single, clear and equally affectionate emerald gaze, the silence roaring in Aideen's ears; How can she step down?! Then, not removing her firm look, Nina continued, and her second's shock doubled tenfold; ME?! She had never in her wildest dreams expected this, caught up in her adoration for Nina, she had never even considered where all of this was going. Yet now she stood, speechless, as the golden queen laid an offer before her. It was like the air stood still around them, the only sound audible to the young medic her own heartbeat, pulsing loudly in her ears. Prove myself worthy? To be ALPHA?! Thoughts were speeding through her head, making it spin lightly; But how could I possibly..? I'm not even..! ME?! She half expected to wake up next to Miccah in the den, realizing this had all just been a dream.

Yet it wasn't, Nina was standing right in front of her, watching expectantly. Finally the vixen wolf moved to speak, swallowing hard as she tried to regain control of her voice. Her mouth felt dry as sand, heat flushing to her head while she attempted to collect her thoughts into words. "Nina I... This is very unexpected. Would... Do you really think I can?" She stared openly, all her insecurities laid out on the tips of her hairs. There was fear, almost horror in her voice, but at the same time it was thick with passion. She was so deeply moved by this show of trust, honored that Nina had found her worthy for this offer. Feeling no need to hide her thoughts, and honestly not being able even if she'd wanted to, Aideen spoke to her leader, mentor and friend, keeping her eyes fixed in the emerald depth before her; "I've never been good at speaking in front of crowds, I'm not a leader, not... Well, not trained for anything like that. I feel at home here, so much more than I ever did where I was born, and I've been so happy to serve and learn under you. Secret Woodlands is more important to me than anything! It's just... It's such a big responsibility, I wouldn't know... I can't possibly measure up to you!" She had to pause for breath, her erratic feelings making her usually rushed speech even faster, the words almost blurring together at the end, and she had to breathe deeply, closing her eyes for a moment as she tried to calm her racing heart.

When she opened them again, they drifted to the thicket around her, resting on every familiar detail as she tried to imagine herself in charge of this place. Secret Woodlands was her home, it was her world, here she had come to heal her wounds and those of the first man she had loved; Here she had discovered her greatest passion and learned everything she now knew about it; had become a medic. Among these brambles she had reconnected with an old friend and lost him once again; mourned the loss of Coal; despaired in her inability to help Ashanti and wasted away in her depression. In this very thicket she had met her true love, had bloomed anew by his side and traversed great distances, both physically and mentally, to be with him again; Forever! "I would do everything for this pack, I would give it my heart - have already given it. most of it at least..." She finally looked back at Nina, a smile on her face, eyes glowing with passion; "I just never imagined, no that's not true..." She faltered for a moment. She had imagined, that evening by the water, when Miccah had asked her to take his name, she had wondered what it would be like to start a family with him, to bring his pups into the world and lead a pack alongside him. And in the depths of her heart, that was what she wanted most of all! But she had never imagined it would be Secret Woodlands. "But following in your footsteps, Nina... That's an awfully large role to fill. I'm not sure... It would require a lot of me to do it." Finally she grew silent, looking into the old queen's eyes once more, seeing love there, and trust and faith. And she swelled underneath it all; Perhaps I could..!

Word count: 1.359

"Speech" Thoughts
Inactive Deceased
Nina Hervok

She remained silent, watching Aideen’s reaction to her words. Her single orb remained on her student as the shock to over her features. A small smile formed on the Queen’s lips, allowing this information to sink into her mind. She held back the chuckle that threatened to surpass her lips as Aideen attempted to speak, her words coming out as tumbleweeds. Allowing her Second to adjust to the new shift of their relationship, the Hervok woman waited patiently, hanging onto the dear hope that the other woman would be up for the task. Nina did not want Secret Woodlands to fall once she retired but the alpha also did not want to restrict her sons to staying within the woodlands. As much as the golden brown dame could hope that her blood would one day rule her lands, she did not want to make it a requirement for them to do so. They would also have to prove themselves worthy of such a position and Aideen had already done so and had since surpassed Nina’s expectations. She tail wagged comfortably behind her as they came to a stop. Aideen’s words pleased Nina. Knowing that her subordinate was interested was the first step, now all the Hervok had to do was drive her in the correct direction.

All Aideen needed was a little encouragement and that had been something that Nina had not had when she had made the decision to create Secret Woodlands. "You can do it, I know you can," Nina’s voice was soft but gentle, "you are strong and others will look towards you for guidance because you have an aura of calm. You don’t let things get out of control if you can help it… You know it’s true, that is the medic within you." Shifting her weight again, the leader started to walk again, shooting a kind smile towards Aideen, allowing them to bask in silence again. Her mind roamed over what she could possibly say to give more support to the other woman. Eventually, Nina decided that her own comings would help establish some kind of ground. "Did you know…I never wanted to lead a pack? All I wanted was to fulfil my duty as a medic to my alphas and take care of others. I never wanted a mate and I certainly never wanted children. But then when my alphas left behind the pack…I just knew I could not let the remaining suffer. But I also knew that we could not stay in the place we had been left." Nina paused, catching her breath as she made her way through the thickets, her single eye roaming her territory once again, "My point is, even though I might not have wanted to do something, in the end, I knew it was the right decision. And luckily, it turned out well for my companions and me."  Her sparkling emerald eye once again turned to her friend, knowing that all Nina could so was guide her with love and support so that she could blossom into something wonderful.

Inactive No Rank
Aideen Smoke-Athesila

Under her mentor's strong, warm gaze and kind smile, Aideen felt herself straighten up, like the confidence in Nina's face was enough to assure her that yes, she could do this. It occurred to the young medic that now, her leader would be teaching her something new; Something she believes I could learn... It still seemed mostly inconceivable to her that the Woodland queen would step down, how could the back go on without Nina at its helm, and how, possibly, could she take the place as alphess? But the matriarch had faith in her! Meeting that one, clear, emerald eye, Aideen saw it in the regal gaze at the same time as she heart it in the words, spoken in that gentle and yet steeled voice. She blushed under the queen's praise, feeling a strong urge to turn her eyes to her paws, but forcing herself to hold Nina's gaze, she had to show that she was worthy of all these flowering words.

Still, she felt much better when they started walking again, Nina's eye turning away to instead gaze out at the Woodlands. The younger lass turned over the words in her head, seeing the truth in them, but also worrying that perhaps Nina trusted her too much; Others will look to me... But what will I do when they come? Speaking in front of crowds had always been one of her weakest points, while she had no problems with one on one conversations, looking out at a group always made her queasy; And having to COMMAND them?! It seemed an impossible task, and yet Nina managed to do it so gracefully every day. Glancing sideways, Aideen caught her friend and leader's soft smile, returning it easily; But maybe she can teach me.

When the alphess spoke again, her subordinate listened intently, honored to be given this inside into a past that she had never heard, or even thought, about before. She was more than a little surprised to learn that Nina had once been not unlike herself, with no ambition of leadership. To her second, the golden dame seemed born to be a queen, leading with strength and ability, like she had never done anything else. Yet now she talked of a time when she wanted for none of it; How long ago must that have been..? But there were also parts of Nina's tale that fit less with her chosen successor, fresh heat shooting up into her cheeks at the mention of mate and children. This time, Aideen couldn't keep from looking down, a strange mixture of giddiness and shame washing over her. She pushed it aside, lifting her head quickly and hoping that Nina hadn't noticed.

Their eyes met again, and the younger shewolf nodded solemnly, smile gone now as she took her lady's words seriously to heart. While Aideen was no overly lawful wolf, she had always been a firm believer in doing what was right, and she knew that this was. While Nina was far from feeble, her aging was beginning to take its toll, and she deserved to spend her last years more peacefully, safe in the knowledge that her pack would live on in capable hands. After a short silence, the vixen girl slowly parted her jowls, looking into her queen's wise eye; "I understand. I think... With your guidance I could learn to do this. I want to make sure Secret Woodlands keeps thriving, that your legacy lives on. If you will teach me I think... I know I can do well." She swallowed hard, feeling the weight of this new responsibility sink onto her shoulders. It was not an entirely unwelcome burden, she truly wanted to strengthen her pack in any way possible, she had just never considered leading it as a possible way of doing that before; But I could..!

There was still insecurity in her mind, but her heart was certain, she would do this for Nina and for the Woodlands, and perhaps, as it had with the other queen, things would prove to turn out for the best. However, one specific concern pressed on her above all else, and her eyes darkened a little as she turned them to the surrounding thicket. Feeling a tightening in her chest, she asked without looking back at Nina, voice lower and more unsure than before; "What about Mirren?" It was an unspecific question, reflective of the fiery girls chaotic thoughts. She wondered if Nina had spoken to her partner about this offer, and if so what he had said, and she thought about having to lead beside him. Despite attempting to get closer with her male leader, Aideen still felt like she hardly knew the man and, like she once had Nina, she feared him a bit. And of course, though she tried to deny it, there was the one, pressing truth; He's not the one I want beside me.

Word count: 821

"Speech" Thoughts
Inactive Deceased
Nina Hervok

The queen moved through her territory carefully, knowing it well enough that if she wasn’t careful, it as easy to step on a thorn. The pair walked in silence. Nina knew that Aideen would have to mull over her thoughts, it just proved once again that she was a capable leader. No one wanted someone who made split decisions that were not thought on. They moved and Nina listened. Her Second’s words warmed her heart and Nina’s single eye lit up in happiness. "Of course, I will be glad to teach you. But most of what you will learn will come from yourself. You will be the one who needs to make decisions and then you will make more decisions based on that one." They walked in silence again, her pace slow but steady. When her subordinate spoke again, Nina’s ears perked in curiosity, tilting her head slightly. Was there something wrong with Mirren?

Clearing her throat, she spoke softly, "Mirren will understand…he knows I am not as young as I use to be and he is a very good leader and very easy to work with.” Her voice was slightly confused as to why Aideen would be asking such a question. As far as Nina knew, Mirren treated everyone fairly, just as he had been raised to do. Politically, he was smooth in all transactions and would truly remember things that sometimes slipped from her mind. He was a more than capable partner in leadership. It wasn’t required for the alphas to breed, a year without children would not harm the pack as long as the numbers remained healthy. Eventually, Nina was sure that the Tainn would want to revive Copper Rock Creek and then when Aideen found a mate of her choosing she would lead with him. It all depended on the way the future panned out.

Inactive No Rank
Aideen Smoke-Athesila

As they continued walking quietly, Aideen studied her queen, trying to look beyond the familiar and see the woman in the way a stranger would. It was no easy feat, once she got past her feelings for the mentor she had come to know and love, her eyes took on the look of a medic. She saw Nina's slightly stiffened gait, the touch of graying hairs at the tip of her muzzle, and the wrinkles, formed not just by age, around her eyes. But she could also see the strength, the determination and the resilience, the air of regality that felt like such a permanent part of the golden dame, Aideen had to fight hard to remember that she hadn't always been a leader. Could I end up like that..? It seemed a ridiculous notion, but if she could, if it was at all possible, she wanted to be a leader like Nina.

So the alphess' words made her heart swell; She WILL! With Nina as her guide, the vixen medic was sure she could learn to lead the Woodlands; After all, it was she who had taught her to heal. And maybe Aideen the medic wasn't so different from Aideen the alphess, Nina at least didn't seem to think so. The petite lass nodded in understanding to what she considered her first lesson, lips squeezed into a serious line. Over the years, she had seen this in action many times, never really thinking of it, but looking back now she realized the truth of what Nina was saying; Once one path's chosen... Leading required a lot of hard decisions, as well as the guts and confidence to stick to those decisions. Suddenly she was reminded of her mother, while not officially a leader, the old woman had been the closest Aideen's birth pack had had to an alpha female, and she sure had been both decisive and stubborn; Who'd think I'd ever see a day when I'd wish to be more like mom? Honestly, she would like to aim at being the type of leader Nina was, but it was nice to know she had it in her all the same.

At the golden queen's reaction to her question though, she cringed slightly, copper eyes meeting piercing emerald with an almost regretful expression. Nina's tone was puzzled, but as gentle as before, and her freshly appointed successor felt deeply guilty for her thoughts. She nodded slowly, smiling a little palely at the words; "I'm sure it'll work, I was just... wondering if he knew." It felt like a lie, even if the words were true enough, and as she looked into her leader's eye, she decided that she had to lay everything out in the open. She had wanted to talk to her mentor about herself and @Miccah ever since their return, but she hadn't been able to find the right time. Now, though the timing still didn't seem quite right to her, would have to do. Taking a deep breath, Aideen straightened up a little, clearing her throat; "I will be honored to take on this task under your guidance, and I believe that I can learn to be a good leader. I'll do everything in my power to keep the Woodlands strong." She smiled, but could feel her lips tremble slightly, that was the easy part. Then came: "But I wouldn't feel right agreeing without you knowing... Well, really I've been wanting to tell you for a while," Meeting Nina's gaze, Aideen took another breath, still smiling; Despite her nerves, she couldn't keep from smiling as she said it; "I am Aideen Smoke Athesila now, Miccah has asked me to be his mate, and I've agreed."

Word count: 619

"Speech" Thoughts
Inactive Deceased
Nina Hervok
The woman waited patiently for anything Aideen had to say, still quite perplexed as to her Second's concerns towards Mirren. He was, after all, one of her children in almost every manner of the word. She had been there to help raise him and would have liked to believe that he maintained all the ideals Nina had spoken to him about. However, Aideen's first words did nothing to comfort the golden brown dame. They sounded too robotic...too hesitant. She shifted from side to side as she walked in an effort to stretch her limbs as she did so. If there was something wrong with Mirren being alpha, Nina would want to know. Obviously, he was a Tainn and royalty ran in his blood. The woman would like to have thought that it would run through him. 

Thankfully, her thoughts were answered with the Medics next response. It did much more to assure Nina that she was still up for the job and Mirren would prove to be a more than qualified leader. It was always important to not shift the hierarchy too much at a given point in time. However, with Aideen's final words, Nina's breath caught in her throat. Miccah...? An old sense of paranoia crept up Nina's spine at the thought. Were they planning on leaving Secret Woodlands as well? Just as Koda and Iopah had? She shifted uncomfortable at the thought, knowing that both of them were loyal and wouldn't leave. At least, not in the way Koda and Iopah had so rudely done so. 

Clearing her throat, the alpha took a moment to regain her thoughts, not wanting to dwell on the past in fears of her thoughts becoming dark once more. "Well, congratulations, my dear. I am glad that you are happy." Nina paused then, letting the silence linger in the area before she spoke again, this time, her voice hesitant, "I hope this won't cause any problems in the future?" Aideen was well aware of the pack laws and how strict Nina was in following them. She hoped that the woman would be able to uphold such rules after Nina stepped down. After all, her leading was an example and it wasn't like Nina was going to be leading. She would still remain within the Woodlands. It was her home, what she had built for those who needed somewhere to flourish. In the process, it had become so much more. The Hervok couldn't bring herself to leave it. And she was not sure if that would ever change.