546 Users Online
Bing, Google

Snow Shoe — Cedarwood Forest 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Alace who has 323 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Naia Aegina

♦♦♦♦♦

Naia’s young student wasted no time finding the track, eager to continue to learn despite the gathering darkness. Naia did not follow the Baranski pup right away, instead raising her voice into the sky to inform Kisla and Maksim that their middle child wouldn't be home until after dark. Naia then grabbed up Orren’s first kill and trotted along behind the boy, keeping her distance so that the rabbit carcass in her mouth would not interfere with the scent trail Orren was trying to follow. Orren slowed suddenly, and Naia set the first kill aside so that she could survey the area with her own nose. They were close, but it was more than that. The rabbit must have lost a lot of blood by now, because it’s smell was all over this section of the woods, as if it had been darting in circles or back and forth in confusion and panic.

“That was great tracking,” Naia complimented the boy, “But now you’re going to have to air-scent for the target.” The woman met Orren’s fiery gaze, wondering if he knew at all what she was talking about. “Ever throw a small stone into a pond? Scent travels through the air in a similar way, though with the wind it radiates from the target and fans outward in more of a cone shape.” Naia tested the air again, delighted to discover that the light evening breeze was blowing directly toward them. They would not have to search for the scent cone at least, because they were standing in it! “We’re starting at the widest part of the cone, so pick a direction of travel and walk until you lose the scent. Then turn around and walk until you lose the scent again, and repeat.” Naia gave the boy a half-smile, wondering if he was understanding any of this at all. If he was as natural a hunter as she thought he was, he would catch on quickly to the fact that his zig-zags were shortening as he neared the injured target.

♦♦♦♦♦  

Here you go! -click for diagram- I drew out this concept for ya, since I'm sure it's confusing if you haven't done much with air-scenting dogs (which maybe you have, I don't know your life.. xD) But anyway, the orange arrow is what Naia is encouraging Orren to do; weaving into the scent cone until he reaches the focal point.
[Image: hashtags-inalinaia.png]
Played by PuppyThief who has 157 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Orren Baranski
That's great! It really helped, I'n no hunter, so anything that can help make it more realistic is very welcome! xD

"You'll never be great without taking a chance"
ORREN BARANSKI

The young hunter's ears twitched as he heard Naia's voice ring out behind him, a wave of guilt washing over him; he hadn't even thought of the worry he might put on his parents by staying out late without word. There was little room in his brain for remorse though, as his blood rushed through it with the thrill of the hunt. There was something about tracking, albeit it lagged the intensity of the open chase, it opened up his mind to using his senses, probing him to think, reason and plan, rather than just storm ahead. What an odd reality, that the brash youth should find such enthusiasm in thinking; I better not tell Alek! The trail was starting to confuse him though, and he lifted his head a bit, brows furrowed. Where previously, he had followed a pretty straight, narrow line of fresh blood-stench through the underbrush, he now seemed to be completely surrounded by the scent. Nose wrinkling in his confusion, the coal painted yearling sniffed at the air, muzzle lifting higher and higher as he desperately tried to make sense of the situation.

Naia's voice behind him made him turn, face a strange mask of bewilderment and frustration as he sought her golden eyes in the dimness. Her words only made him more confused, and he tilted his head, a small flash of irritation sparking in his soft orange eyes. Air-scent? What was that? And what did throwing stones have to do with hunting?! While the more experienced woman explained, Orren did his best to listen carefully, straining to imagine the image she was attempting to paint. It was hard for him to visualize scent, it's not something you see, it's something you smell! But none the less, he kept his ears perked, confident that Naia knew what she was doing.

Had it been anyone else, asking him to do this, he would have recoiled; Walking back and forth? Ridiculous! But again, he trusted the nimble scout, she was his idol, and he could not imagine she would lead him astray. So with an attempted return of her smile, he nodded hesitantly and turned back towards the Scent cone? Quite frankly, he felt like an idiot when he started trotting back and forth through the underbrush, nose held high as he constantly sniffed at the air. Every time he lost the scent her would turn, moving in a sharp angle back across the area, now and again looking back at Naia who was gradually growing farther away as he worked the pattern.

After some time, reluctantly following the monotonous model, the aspiring hunter noticed that the number of steps between each turn were decreasing, his journey across the scent cone growing shorter with every zig-zag movement. He paused, turning to look back at Naia again, and sent her a broad beam, eyes aglow with his realization; I'm closing in! With newfound eagerness, the boy returned to his task, soon crossing a very narrow area in his swerving motions. Instinctively he slowed, lowering his stomach towards the ground as he crept along, knowing the wounded rabbit could not be far ahead. He froze, disappearing completely among the bramble, with his chin kissing the ground, nose quivering, eyes narrowed as he gazed through the plants; did he see something moving there? The lad's copper ears flicked backwards as he listened for Naia behind him, waiting for her ready signal before moving, to make sure he didn't mess anything up. Then he would jump ahead, not expecting the bleeding rabbit to put up much of a chase, but never the less ready for one; Just in case!

Word count: 608

Thoughts ”Speech”
(This post was last modified: Jul 16, 2015, 02:48 PM by Orren.)
Inactive Deceased
Naia Aegina

♦♦♦♦♦

Naia wasn’t ever one to just give her students the answers—she liked to watch a young wolf figure something out on his own.  Not only was it more entertaining for her, but it was more interesting for the student as well, engaging his mind as well as his senses. Naia watched Orren weave through the cone, trusting her instructions despite his very obvious confusion with the process. Whenever he stopped to shoot her a questioning look she nodded encouragingly; thankfully it was too dark for the pup to see the amused smile upon her features. He was really doing quite well though, for a pup who had never before worked a cone. He might not know it yet, but he was certainly a natural at this too.

Orren’s demeanor changed suddenly, fiery eyes blazing to life as he turned to beam at his teacher. Naia wagged her tail in congratulations to the boy, knowing that he must have at last figured out that the pattern was gradually closing. Naia started moving forward as well, following her student’s path as his weaving narrowed. When the boy slithered under a bramble bush – thank the gods he was so small—she knew he had reached the source. “It’s time Orren,” she spoke at normal volume, knowing that the rabbit was probably too far gone for her voice to frighten it. It was time for the rabbit to be put out of its misery, and nearing time for the successful hunters to return home to their warm dens and expectant family.

♦♦♦♦♦  

I'm glad! No hunting here; we're training a search-and-rescue dog! The scent cone thing is just one theory of many, but it's my favorite.
Inactive No Rank
Orren Baranski
That's really cool, and I like the theory too, especially the way Naia explained it :D - You can wrap up in your next post?

ORREN BARANSKI

Their relationship was a truly special one. While the young Baranski loved his parents and siblings, what he had with Naia was different; she was his mentor, his friend and - at least to the tween boy's rebellious mind - the only one who truly understood him. The scout was the only one he would follow without question, the only wolf who could engage him in a lesson without getting attitude. True, part of the reason was childish infatuation, a young lads eager adoration of an older female creature of grace and strength. But his care for her ran deeper  than that too. Naia and Lachesis were both very close with the River leaders, practically family, even more than the rest of the pack. They were 'aunt' and 'uncle', had helped care for the pups from birth on a level almost adjacent to their parents. And yet they were not family, at least not of the sort that would inevitably grow 'lame' to an aging child trying to find his own place in the world. Instead they were strange and new and wonderful! An infallibility that would eventually be proved a lie, but for now it was reality.

However, in this moment at least, the young boy did not act twitterpated. Instead he moved with certainty, eager but controlled, sliding along the ground so slowly that he was almost at a standstill. He could hear Naia behind him, moving less stealthily, though not noisy at any rate. His breathing stalled, one ear tilted back to listen for her comment while the other remained forwards. His bright orange eyes were narrowed to slits, pupils dilated to see through the growing darkness. Ahead of him, a lightly quivering shadow was crumpled up, the faint sound of its gasping breath just audible to the attentive hunter; his prize. Then the instructor's words fell, voice no longer hushed as she had realized what the less experienced tracker was yet to notice. He sprang, jaws slamming down hard around the upper part of the rabbits back. It didn't even try to escape, the tiniest of squeaks seemingly its only reaction to the sudden attack. Then Orren broke its back, in it died with a last sigh of relief.

The victorious hunter spun around, proudly dangling his prize in front of his teacher. His chest puffed, eyes shining through the dusk; I did it! The poor rabbit had been so exhausted from blood loss, it had no chance of survival, but that didn't matter to the coppery lad. He had tracked it down, he had killed it; It's MINE! He smiled at Naia through blood and fur, tail waving in a high arch over his back; "I did it, I did it Naia!" He garbled his triumph, meeting her golden gaze with unmasked adoration; "Tha' was so cool, with the tracking and the scent cone and everything and... Wow!" He prattled on in his excitement, filled with a thrill unlike anything he had ever experienced. He practically danced on the spot, still soaking in the full impact if the evenings events; I am a HUNTER!

Word count: 519

Thoughts ”Speech”
Inactive Deceased
Naia Aegina
I think we need one more to reach 15 posts, so you can go ahead and fade them out.

♦♦♦♦♦

At her instruction, her student slithered forward and struck, and when he sprang back from the bush the yearling’s mouth was full and eyes were dancing with triumph. His enthusiasm was contagious, and Naia barked and bounced happily alongside the budding hunter. As they celebrated under the moonlight, Naia thought about how quickly children grew up; in few short months transforming from helpless, suckling babes to intelligent, efficient predators. Why, this time last year Orren was hardly a twinkle in Kisla’s eye, and now he had grown to roughly the same size as Naia herself. This was the very reason working with youth brought Naia both intense joy and sadness; every experience was thrilling and every victory brand new, but eventually her students would no longer need her lessons, and they would find someone more alluring than their old teacher with whom they could share their triumphs.

Orren was talking a mile a minute through his mouthful of rabbit, which amused Naia to no end. It was probably the first creature he had tracked and killed all by himself; Naia could understand why he wouldn’t want to put it down! She grinned and wagged her tail, unable to understand Orren’s words but comprehending his excitement loud and clear. “I’m so proud of you, Orren!” Naia said as they both settled down, “Your family will be too.” She nudged the boy under the chin, silly grin still plastered across her face.

When she pulled away she felt the creature’s blood dripping down the bridge of her muzzle. When she felt the trickle reach the tip of her nose she reached out toward the yearling smeared the liquid across Orren’s forehead. “Baptized hunter,” she joked, “Now you’re stuck with the role forever.” She threw a teasing grin over her shoulder as she turned to stalk back toward the edge of the clearing, where she had left their first kill. “I want to stash this one,” Naia said, reaching down to take hold of the rabbit, “Can you locate one of our caches for me?” If he hadn’t already, the boy would figure out soon that the lessons and tests never really ceased.  

♦♦♦♦♦  
Inactive No Rank
Orren Baranski
I am horrible for letting this wait so long, so sorry! >.< I'll leave you to archive when you've read it.

ORREN BARANSKI

Their celebration was glorious, skipping and baying, and Orren's eyes burning through the night like embers when they met Naia's lighter, but equally excited gaze. Seeing his glory reflected in his teacher only brought the boy even more joy, the dangling rabbit doing a dance of its own in his jaws. The elegant scouts smile was all he could have wished for and he basked in its glow, trying to grin back, though it would be mostly invisible since he still refused to let go of his prize. Her words made him warm all over, and the following touch raised even more heat in his cheeks and ears, in that moment he didn't care for his family's approval, having hers was all that mattered. Suddenly tightly clasped jaws was an excellent excuse, as the teenager found his tongue locked, quick breathing catching in his throat while he looked at delicate woman.

In the darkness he could not see the blood, staining her muzzle and slowly trickling its way down the bridge of her nose, leaving him completely unprepared for her second touch. When her nose left his fur, but didn't take the wet, sticky feeling with it though, he was able to guess what had happened, a cough-like bark of laughter escaping him at her words. The black-masked head bobbed, a small droplet of blood starting to wander down his own face, tickling terribly. Though he didn't want to dismiss her gesture, he finally had to raise a paw, rubbing at the bridge of his muzzle, further smearing out the blood. Then, with a snort, the yearling stretched out his, now also bloody, paw to tap it on his mentor's shoulder, the only reply to her praise he could come up with. His cheeks were still burning, whole face lit up by pride and gratitude; So often in his life, the second Baranski son had felt like a failure, like he couldn't do anything right and existed only to disappoint his family and those around him; The lesser prince... But not in this moment, this night he had done someone proud and proved that there was something he was good at; I wouldn't mind being stuck with that.

As Naia went to pick up their first catch, Orren danced after her, raising his head high to proudly show of his prize. Her question didn't even make him pause, in fact he almost rolled his eyes - everyone in the pack knew where at least one cache was and could find it in an emergency - but, knowing that she meant only good by allowing him to lead them there, he simply emitted a short rumbling noise in recognition, and started off through the cedars, tail waving like a banner behind him; Back towards Cut Rock River and, hopefully, proud and praising parents.

Word count: 472

Thoughts ”Speech”