(See All?) Announcements
372 Users Online

RE: Territory Battle
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Staff who has 4,811 posts.

Random Event #6 — Territory Battle

For almost a year, the wolves of Midnight Plateau have dominated the mountain. But, they are not the only residents. A local cougar has decided to express her displeasure of the wolves encroaching upon her territory by taking the battle to her competitors. Attacking at night, she swept past the marked borders and is headed straight for the pack den. With pups on the way, her attack poses direct danger to the pack's future.

This is an All Welcome thread. You may react to this however you think your character would.

This cougar is an NPC, its actions will be controlled by the other characters in the thread.

(This post was last modified: May 18, 2011, 10:37 PM by Corinna.)
Played by Bryony who has 223 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Alexander Dieudonné
Night was slowly descending upon the mountain and by the time Alexander reached the dens, it would be far darker than it was when he was at the bottom. A thin rabbit in tow for his own meal, as he'd caught something for Amelie earlier in the day, he made his way upwards, pausing on a ledge to chew the nut-denied prey. Once he'd gotten it down, the mountain king finally reached the Plateau. It was silent, eerily silent, and he slipped away to his den to find it empty, save for his hardly day old children. There was no sign of a struggle, but Amelie was gone. Panic immediately filled Alexander and he twisted around, howling desperately into the sky.

But it only attracted the attention of the predator. He noticed the large cat lurking on a cliff above, and his howl had only alerted it to his presence. The great feline let out a hiss, and Alexander moved back into the den to protect his children, hoping that any sort of help would quickly arrive. He wasn't sure how long he'd be able to fend off the great feline, if he'd be able to do it at all. The numbers of the Plateau were small, and he questioned if outside aid would even arrive. <b style="color:#51b85f">"speech."

Played by Grey who has 439 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Angier Lyall
<blockquote>By the time Angier Lyall had returned to the mountain, he was brimming with excitement. He had a few bits of information to share with Alexander after having had the pleasure of meeting the leader of the Swift River pack. He bounded past the old gnarled tree that had once served as his watch post, completely unaware that on the other side of the territory, a vexed intruder was stalking her way through to the foot of the mountain. Taking to the stone and gravel walkways, he did the best he could to clamber up without having to calculate where he ought to place his paws.

When a familiar howl rang out against the darkened skies, Angier froze. <i>Alexander.</i> The simple song sounded anguished, completely tainted with distress. He didn't bother to reply, opting to meet up with the ashen leader before he did anything else. Heaving his large frame up onto a large boulder and continuing to gain altitude, he reached the rock shelf that he had claimed as his resting place. Peering out into the darkness, out over the jagged mountain side, he spotted a peculiar creature - or, rather, its dark-tipped tail vanishing over a ledge as it slinked upward.

He began to panic. <i>Cat!</i> Clenching his molars together in fear, he crept after it. Perhaps it was just about to leave... <i>Yeah... That was it... Oh, wait.</i> Angier realized that the feline had found its way to the Plateau. As if electrified by some unseen current, the Lyall darted upwards. Stepping onto the cold, flat surface, he instantly cast his gaze toward what the predator had been eyeing... None other than the den entrance and the silver wolf that stood guard before it.

Angier began to lower himself into a defensive stance, the fur along his neck bristling and standing on edge. He waved his tail about a few times before holding it steady in a menacing manner; his black-lined lips curled back over his teeth and he let loose a loud snarl. Expecting the foe to turn around and hiss or even bat a clawed paw at him, he only hoped it would buy the leader time to escape.</blockquote>
(This post was last modified: May 17, 2011, 09:49 PM by Angier.)

Are you watching closely?
Taekwondo (M, W, F) | Rapid-Response Day (Tu) | WoW Nights (F, Sat, Sun)
Played by Katsuma who has 456 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Vlarindara

OOC: I just had to.. ;D Angsty Vlar is Angsty.. >.<; And... If her being here is an issue let me know! O________O I figured.. the thread needed more replies anyway ;D

Angier...Vlarindara could remember the name of the large male she'd run into a while back - a male who she could hope wouldn't simply send her packing. It wasn't so much that he was a male, but that he was a wolf she considered her friend - a wolf she hoped would recognize her..Then again, the mountain seemed a good place to go cliff diving if she wasn't welcome there.. The swim at the end might help her clear her head. After having fled Grizzly Hollow at the fastest speed her battered body could co, the white female set her destination in mind. Midnight Plateau.

She had gone as far as she could without stopping, without thinking - letting her mind simply go blank and numb. Around nightfall of her second day of travel, the ex-second collapsed in the brush that blanketed the forest floor. She lay on her side, panting in a wheezing sound, amber eyes closing crusted lids, her nose leaking with some kind of fluid or another. The fresh marr across her muzzle stretched from the tear ducts of her right eye down to her nose. Kiche's fangs had found their mark.. and torn a violent wound down her face.

It was still bleeding, but sluggishly - the dirt and debris picked up in her travels having gathered in the sticky substance and assisted with the clotting of the injury. She allowed herself to rest a few minutes.. Minutes that grew into hours as the once proud female slept where she'd fallen, her sides heaving with the effort to breath. It wasn't that she was ill, but it was the simple knowledge that she had been ousted from her family - sent away from her home.. The fact that they no longer wanted her that made it hard to breath - wouldn't it just be easier to stop breathing?

Morning came and found the white wolf still alive and getting to her feet. She had to resume her trek - she had to find if there was one place in the valley she was still welcome. If Raigo hadn't disappeared, she certainly would have gone to him - but he was no where to be found so that shot that out of the water...The trip was harder on her than any she had made thus far, but it was only because none of her injuries were life threatening that she managed to make it to the base of the mountain.

Sure, she was ill...again.. but she could hunt still, even though the wound on her muzzle burned like fire anytime she opened it wide enough to catch something. Most of her meals had been slow - a badger with an injured leg - a rabbit that hadn't run when she'd gotten close to it..Stupid thing had taken the 'stay still and it wont see me' too far. The rest had been squirrels or other injured animals... And a few meals scavenged from bears or other wolves. Finally.. was the only thought in her mind when she saw the grey peaks rising above her head.

Vlarindara had lifted her head to howl - to call for Angier when the howl of another wolf pierced the skies.. Who was that? It sounded upset..tense. The white female threw herself up the path without thinking - without realizing, she had slipped back into the mentality of a Beta..the protection of the pack and its members came first before her own. The trip up the unfamiliar path was almost as dangerous as her trip into the marshes had been - but she only fell twice.. the second fall having opened the wound on her muzzle once more. The sharp rocks up the path..rocks she figured the wolves of the mountain might know to avoid cut up her paw pads, a stinging fire in her feet as she ran.

Cresting the top, her feet carried her galloping in the direction of the original howl - at least..where she could guess it had come from. Passing the scent markers didn't even stop her headlong rush - it was the sharp and biting scent of ..something else that brought her to a slowed run.. but still a run. Finally the white female appeared in the gathering..taking in the scene with widened amber eyes. A wolf in front of a den - Angier.. and a COUGAR?! Oh no... Her lips pulled over her teeth in a slightly grotesque snarl, seeing as the right side of her mouth was covered in red. The dirtied and matted tail curled tightly over her back as her eyes locked onto the thing that threatened the den. In her mind - there was only one reason a wolf would be standing in such a way in front of a den. Pups.

It didn't matter to the female that they weren't hers.. or even those of her...pack.. No she didn't have a pack - best not think such things. They were pups.. defenseless lives that needed to be defended.. A gut ripping snarl tore from the bared muzzle of the white giant, her ears pinned back against her head as she made a rather.. insane but split second decision. She was thin - covered in mud and muck, bedraggled, her fur matted and tangled, her injuries painfully obvious.. but despite it all, the clouded amber eyes had cleared - gained a single minded clarity. Protect the young at all costs. She did what she would have done for Borden and Jaysyeks pups...With fur sticking straight up in all directions, the muddied beast charge..

Straight at the cougar, her head down, shoulders arched forwards and a single minded intent to tear into the thing. She was, after all bleeding and weaker than any here but perhaps the pups within the den... Perhaps if she could get the cats attention, she could lead it away from the pack den that the wolves were protecting. What did she have to lose after all?

user posted image
Played by Switch who has 85 posts.
Inactive No Rank
    we are all decieving, lost, and bleeding.

The howl of the white Alpha filled with despair cut into the silent air like a knife. Immediately it had her attention, for something surely was not right in the coming darkness. The only thing was she was not near the dens. She was upon the neighboring peak starting her own late night walk. Ears swiveled atop her peppered crown, trying to think what could be out of place. The puppies had come yesterday. The puppies? Amelie? Was that what was wrong? Muscles bunched beneath her pelt, the landscape became a blur before her eyes. It didn't matter how far she was, she had to get there.

Swiftly, and smoothly as she could she darted long the rock trails keen upon where she was going. Her energy boundless, her rapid breathing did not slow her but pushed her onward. The dens, she was close, now what was wrong? Nostrils wrinkled trying to decipher the tragedy, or pending doom. First there was nothing apart from Amelie, puppies, and Alexander as they were the strongest to the area. Wait. Cougar, Angier, and Vlarindara? What the hell? She had little time to process as she strode upon the scene for her eyes to see, just below the rocky edges.

Alexander was standing infront of the den, Skylah asumed Amelie and whelps were inside, and Angier was there trying to distract the cat while Vlar well she was charging at it? Was she insane? Rough bark rumbled from her chest, and her cream lips peeled away from her sharp teeth. She was hesitant to attack, first seeing how the cat would take on the white challenger.

Played by Bryony who has 223 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Alexander Dieudonné
this'll be Alex's exit post. Feel free, if you'd like to keep the battle going, to just pretend that he didn't actually do what he did at the end of my post, since you're all free to play the cougar as well. <3

His call did not go unanswered, and within moments it was three against one. But the cougar seemed resilient. It's dark gaze was focused on him, but the sudden appearance of more caused it to turn around. Angier had come, and Alex knew he would have smiled if the situation had been more appropriate. Then a white wolf that he didn't recognize appeared and charged the cougar. Alexander took this moment to leap onto the confused animal's back, and it fell sideways nearly knocking the air out of Alexander's lungs. His children needed him now, and rather than just standing idly beside, he took action. He hoped the white wolf would have stopped their charge, but even if they joined the scuffle, Alexander refused to disengage.

Angry sounds burst erratically from his tightly locked jaws, and he and the cougar were a tangle of bodies on the stone. The gray beast leaped back, eyes frantically searching for the familiar face of his friend while the cougar tried to reorient itself. His paws were dangerously close to the mountain's edge, but his mind was on other things. <b style="color:#51b85f">"Angier, get them out!" Alexander finally found the male in his sights and barked out the order, though it was less demanding and far more pleading. His eyes locked instantly upon the den where the two newborn bundles lay hardly aware that their fate had almost been sealed by an angry feline.

At that moment, the cougar was upon him again. Alexander reared up, attempting to batter the cat's head, but it did little to perturb the feline as it struck back with unsheathed claws. He realized a moment too late how dangerous his position was now and hoped that Angier had heard his words. Lunging for the cat, he attempted to grab at any loose flesh that he could, before pulling back, essentially yanking himself and the cat over the side of the mountain. It all went black after that, so the fate of the feline was out of his paws, but he hoped that they'd have enough time to get the pups from the den...<b style="color:#51b85f">"speech."

Played by Switch who has 85 posts.
Inactive No Rank
<i>sorry if there is an order. i just wanted to do soemthing with skylah, and decided she'd dissapear down the mountain with the cougar so you guys could get the puppies, not entwining her fate with theirs. i can have it deleted, or changed if need be. :/ thought it made sense for the cougar to go with alexander like frankie hinted at. than her to follow making sure it doesn't come back up so vlar and angier aren't fighting the cougar, trying to rescue the pups?</i>
    we are all decieving, lost, and bleeding.

Her ash colored leader jumped on the lion's back, knocking it down. It was than she reacted, no longer standing on the stone perch, but taking off to the battle ground below. Seconds mattered, and she could care less what the cat might do to her. She had to do something, and part of her logic, instinct for her own life was tossed out the window. She ran downward, bounding franticly hoping to get there to help. She heard Alex telling Angier to get them out! The puppies, yes somebody needed to get them! She hoped Angier would not hesitate to do so. Though she was still wondering what fate had taken their mother.

Heart rapidly pounding wild snarls ripped from her throat coming to the scene just was the lion was upon Alexander once more. He was so close to the edge, she was afraid the cat would pounce, send him down. She was steps too late throw herself infront of him as the cat's claws struck back, and he lashed out trying to pull her down, down the mountain with him. Mouth hung agape, seeing the great leader disspear with a tawny blur. Shock was replaced by anger, and it coarsed through her. Briefly eyes went to Angier for a split second. "Get those pups!" She exclaimed, and without a thought she took off down the mountain where her feet could go, after the damned cat for if it was not dead it would hope to die.

Inactive Deceased
Angier Lyall
<i>O O C | Doesn't bother me, Switch. <3 Heh, I ought to be the one who's sorry for holdin' up the thread a bit. :c edit, heh... I feel like a wimp, I teared up at the end of writing this. ha.</i>

<blockquote>Angier's attempt to grab the large feline's attention was nothing compared to Vlarindara's vocal and physical presence. She charged at it, and following her actions, Alexander joined the fray. The Lyall's eyes widened and he froze, unsure of what to do... He ought to protect Alexander, to guard Vlarindara (whose pelt indicated something distressing had happened to her before her arrival to the mountain)... Then, Skylah approached. He knew she could hold her own ground, but his mind still jumped to secure her safety as well.

Then... A command reached his ears: <i>"Angier, get them out!"</i>

OH! The male jumped and his eyes went back to the den... Thoughts of his other leader and their children sprang to mind and he was on it. Bounding to the darkness of the stone sanctuary, he crawled in to discover that the small nook was empty, save for the fragile bodies of two silvery puppies. <i>Where was Amelie?</i> He panicked. <i>She should have been here... What happened to her? Where did she go?</i> He shook his head as the puppies began to squirm and cry out for warmth. His scuffling had alerted them to his being there. Taking a deep breath, he grabbed the girl first, gently picking her up in his jowls.

He crept back out of the den. The fray continued as his friends, those he held dear, fought the intruder. He was about to set Arlette back down for someone to pick up, but his heart sank. Alexander and the cougar toppled over the ledge of Midnight Plateau...

Instincts told him to not to even think about letting go of his leader's little girl. If something had happened to Alexander, these children would become his legacy... he would be survived by them.

Skylah barked, <i>"Get those pups!"</i> Angier grimaced as she scampered down the mountainside after their leader. He could hear the boy whimpering now that the sounds had begun to echo somewhere below them. Before Vlarindara could do anything else, he tried to catch her attention, he stood before the pathway that led down from the Plateau. Though he hesitated about handing off the pup he had retrieved, he gently set her down and whined. <i>"Take her,"</i> he wordlessly pleaded.

Shakily gathering himself, he looked sadly to Vlar, hoping she would not sidestep him and follow Skylah's path. <b>"P-please,"</b> he breathed. <b>"I-I'll... I'll get the boy. W-We... We need to get them away from here. Their m-mother's g-g-gone... too."</b></blockquote>
(This post was last modified: May 23, 2011, 01:23 AM by Borden.)

Played by Katsuma who has 456 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Vlarindara

The white female blinked and had indeed charged after the cougar as it went for Alexander - but she hadn't been in time to save the alpha from going over the ridge. Vlarindara stopped herself by slamming on the brakes and skidding, almost going over the edge herself. It was the snarled command from a familiar she-wolf that made her turn back to the den in time to see Angier lowering a newborn pup to the ground. Immediately, despite her injuries, the ex-second made her way over to the pup and gave it a reassuring lick before settling down right where she stood.

Vlarindara used her nose to guide the pup to her warm belly while Angier went to get the second of the littler, carefully curling around Arlettes tiny form. She didn't say anything to the large male, only paying attention to the newborn.. and looking towards the mountains edge where the two wolves had gone ...Were either of them alive at all? She had to admire Alexanders bravery, but knew that a fall like that... The wolf whimpered, her ears falling against her neck as she once more turned her attention to the orphaned pup she was trying to give warmth to. Pups this young shouldn't...be orphaned in such a way.. they should be sheltered in their mothers protection..

Had she been able to cry, she would have, her attention once more drawn to the cliffs edge. The fall had been.. a terrifying one to be sure - at least what she saw of the height before managing to stop herself. The wolf lifted her head and pointed her nose to the sky - letting loose a warbling note of mixed, but raw emotion. It said nothing - simply the same as her last howl she'd given near her old home.. Simple instinct.. She hoped it wasn't some kind of last send off to the brave alpha- but there was one place she knew they had to go. Grizzly Hollow. Borden, despite his anger towards the wolves of the mountain.. might wish to know what became of them.. He'd once ...said he like the alpha, right?

Once more, her attention turned towards the den - waiting to see when Angier would return with the other pup so they could get going. She wanted to go to her old den.. where they could stay safe - but neither of them had the means to support such small creatures. Despite having been so injured, the white female felt a bond to the two pups - making a silent promise to herself to keep the brave leaders spirit alive by providing them with the care.. and homes they'd need to make it to adult-hood. The white female knew she couldn't keep them.. but..damned if she didn't want to...

user posted image
Inactive Deceased
Angier Lyall
<blockquote>Inside the den, the young boy's cries sounded out for his sister, for someone to keep him warm. After Vlarindara wordlessly, willingly took Alexander's daughter, he trotted over to the den and scooped up the second pup. A mournful howl rang out against the night sky, a grief-stricken song that could have easily infused heart-rending despair into a <span class='word'>longueur</span>. His ears lowered and he briefly set the pup down so he could exchange a few words with the white lady. Sadly, Angier looked to Vlarindara, whimpering at first before he found his words.

<b>"V-Vlar?"</b> he sounded out her name once a decent amount of silence had passed since her howl passed. <b>"Are you ready?"</b> His voice was low, tinged with dread as he tried not to think of what to expect after the event that had unfolded before them. <i>Where would they go if the mountain was not safe? Could he and Vlar raise these puppies on their own? They should seek the aid of a pack... but would the leader of Swift River take them in? ...would Vlar's pack take them? But... what if Vlar's wounds, signs of struggle, had come from them, the pack from Cedarwood? What if she couldn't go back?</i>

The pup at his feet let out a small yelp, Angier tried to soothe the youth by running the top of a paw over his small back but it only made the pup cry out even louder. He dropped to his haunches, cradling the tiny ball of fur between his forelegs. He wondered if they ought to wait until sunrise to get going or to begin their journey now in the dead of night before the cougar could catch wind of them... if it was still alive, that is...</blockquote>