(See All?) Announcements
617 Users Online
Bing, Google, Neo

A routine malaise — Hearthwood River 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Mimi who has 313 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Maksim Baranski
@Lachesis, I thought we could maybe do a check up thread? Give these two some time to talk ♥.

The sun peeked out shyly from its cloudy blanket, beams of light filtering down, down, down. Brilliant gold cascaded through the air, a shimmering spotlight that point out the best nature had to offer -- a bird preening, delicately rearranging its feathers, a hare leaping skyward in the snow, and a king resting in his throne of bark and snow.

Maksim lifted his head languidly from his paws, his gaze travelling lazily through the evening shine. His shoulder was no longer an open wound at risk of infection (thanks to the hard work of the River wolves' medicinal practitioners), but now came the final hurdle. Could he push through the final stage of healing and regain the lost muscle mass? He had put hardly any pressure on his injured leg, only forgetting his caution for important happenings. Kisla's return had been one such thing. Still, it wouldn't hurt the agouti lord to think more before he acted so perhaps, in some twisted way, this injury was serving to help him.

Bristles of fur had begun to sprout on the naked patches of skin, though there would always be nicks and scrapes visible on him. Lifting himself to stand, shaking the snow that clung coldly to his pelt from his body, Maksim stretched his body out with a deep yawn. The tip of his tongue curled before his jaws snapped shut, his usual posture returning. With a slow start, the River founder decided to seek out his trusted medic -- Lachesis was perhaps Maksim's closest ally these days, bar Kisla and Naia, and the ghost's company was always welcomed. Maksim had watched him grow and fall, only to rise from the ashes and triumph over his fears ... at least, outwardly. The gods only knew what might be tormenting his heart.

Played by Arla who has 1,399 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark
<3 of course! @Maksim

Things were oddly quiet around Hearthwood since Kisla, Naia, and Kjors returned from the Crest with news of their alliance being over. It was a good thing, especially with the temporary change of leadership still in effect, XIX was thankful for the calm that engulfed the River wolves. As winter progressed, as did Maksim’s health. His strength returned, slowly, but Lachesis knew that was partly due to the cold. It wouldn’t be long before the green-eyed leader was back on his throne.

His herb collection was put on hold due to the recent dump of snow. The weather failed to dampen his spirits—Lachesis was bred from the arctic; he felt more comfortable in the snow than he did in the sun. Due to his compulsive plant-hunting his inventory was also extremely well stocked, even with his current patient, so there was no need for him to do any more collecting. At least, not until the majority of the snow was gone—if there was even anything left. A frown creased his lips at the thought. It didn’t matter—he had purposely over stocked his inventory to ensure that he was prepared for both he winter, and immediately after.

It was time to see how his patient was doing. Once the wound had closed the medic no longer needed to constantly watch over the king like an unwanted hawk. Lachesis would still check up on him frequently—as the older male was incredibly stubborn when it came to healing—but not enough to be bothersome. The two had been through a lot together in the past year. Originally Anastasia and XIX had pursued Darkwater Rapids as their home, only to be greeted by a sudden flood that drove the Rapid wolves into Cedarwood. As the River wolves established themselves in their new home, the medic’s relationship with his leader only grew (and strengthened) as more wolves sought acceptance within their ranks, and few departed—most, without a word. It wasn’t long before Lachesis took on the position of second as more wolves became absent. Determined to prove himself, the medic did everything possible to ensure his pack’s safety and secure his position. While, initially, when he had first joined Darkwater with his blue-eyed china doll, he wasn’t sure if it was the “right” fit. He had dutifully followed Ana because, at the time, she was all that mattered. While the flood was disastrous, XIX was thankful for it. If it had not been for the flood, it would not have brought hm closer to Maksim and the founding members.

“You are looking much better,” the medic commented as he approached the agouti king, his chartreuse gaze soft as he observed the older male. A little patchy, yes, but looking much healthier. Maksim was well on his way to having his title returned to him.

(This post was last modified: Jan 04, 2016, 06:34 AM by Lachesis.)
[Image: ds_by_a_yellow_bird-dc337jk.png]
stick with those who stick with you
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
There are several fresh rabbit tracks in the mud. Hunt Opportunity
Inactive Deceased
Maksim Baranski
Old Man Has Mild Life Crisis.

Smiling at Lachesis' approach, Maksim gave a nod of agreement. He was hardly the easiest patient to work with, rushing his healing process and undoing good work, so the agouti Mackenzie had to appreciate the medic's salubrious determination. To Lachesis, he owed his life... to @Karina too, if only she would believe it -- and believe in herself. It was her first major injury, after all; the fact it was her father who was injured must have only added to her panic.

"I feel it," he offered in response, winking a peridot eye with a rumbling chuckle, "I can't quite get a good look at it, but I trust your judgement, Lachesis." He knew how it felt, though. It had begun to grow itchy as the hairs sprouted, but the drag of his claws against tender skin only caused further irritation. It was something he had to cool by rolling around in snow, or finding a particularly good looking tree trunk to rub up against. Like a cat against a leg, he'd use the bark to scratch at the hard-to-reach spot -- he always found it satisfying in the end.

Looking to the trees all around, spiny branches tipped with snow, Maksim let out a soft sigh. "It's been an awful long journey, hasn't it? Darkwater Rapids, Cut Rock River, and now here ... but you know something, my friend? I think we're done searching. At least, I am." Longer, still had it been for Maksim. Before that, he stood where Grizzly Hollow stood before (if only for a small time). He had trekked past that mountain more than once -- stubbornness dictated that he not do it again. "I think this is the place I would happily live the rest of my years out." He was getting older, after all. He was far from the handsome, gruff male he had once been. The grey fur tickling his lips, the slight ache he felt in his back after long periods of sitting or laying down ... they all only served as proof that he was starting to get on in his years. He would be seven cycles come spring.

"Kingsfall ..." He remained silent for a moment, only to find himself chuckling. "My apologies, I didn't ... quite mean to get so morbid there." 

we are shining in the rising sun, as we are floating in the blue
Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark
poor Mak... and poor Lach, who doesn't know how to handle these situations ;__;

Offering a smile in response to his comment the medic glanced at the agouti’s shoulder, his surgeon eyes studying the wound. “Good,” he commented with a sly smile, his chartreuse gaze glancing back at Maksim. “The less you see it the less you’ll bother it,” he added with a wink. What the agouti king needed now was to rest and let his injuries—and body—heal. The more rest he got the sooner he could return to the throne, where he belonged.

Lachesis was incredibly grateful for the friendship that had formed between him and his alpha. It was that friendship that had helped lull the medic out of his depression after losing Anastasia in the mountains. The boy had been determined to leave the river wolves to search for his blue-eyed companion, or die trying. He had completely given up.

However, it had been his loyalty to Maksim and his determination to prove himself as both the pack’s medic and second that that persuaded XIX to abandon his negative thinking. His home was with Maksim and the river wolves—he had been there from the beginning, and would be there until the end.

“Just long enough.” It had been a long journey to get to this point but it had been worth it. Nineteen had seen more of Relic Lore than he ever thought he would, and had—whether it was voluntary or not—encountered a number of wolves during his travels. Some of the wolves even came to be close friends; others were just a glimmer of a memory. “I am, too,” he responded in agreement with a soft nod accompanying his words. While Lachesis still possessed loner tendencies—wandering off by himself, isolating himself from his peers—this pack, both the founding member and the new recruits, was his family. It was strange to think that if it had not been for the death of Shade Slayer that he would not have left Pitch Pine with Anastasia…

Pushing the thought aside, XIX returned his attention to his agouti leader, chartreuse eyes softening as he listened to the king’s words. While Lachesis did not like to think of how old Maksim was, he knew that eventually the green-eyed male would no longer be at the helm. The thought was unsettling; what would Hearthwood be without it's king?

As if on cue, Maksim made his ‘morbid’ comment, causing a small smile to break across the medic’s dark lips. “The king still has many years to go… and a few more litters.” The last comment was paired with a soft laugh. XIX wasn’t done being an uncle just yet—he lived vicariously through the Baranski children, considering all the women he encountered seemed to disappear.

(This post was last modified: Jan 07, 2016, 06:41 AM by Lachesis.)
Inactive Deceased
Maksim Baranski

He was glad, truly, that he had the agreement of his ghostly medic. This was their home, and Maksim would make damn well sure they they were not uprooted. Not like before. No, never like that again. And now, to add to the bitterness of betrayal, the situation with Round Stone Crest had truly peaked and fallen through. His heart still mourned for the loss of Minka as, though she had not brought much-- if anything -- to the alliance of their packs, she had been a friend to the regal Baranski.

"Ha! I should hope so!" He rumbled a chuckle, so typical of the agouti wolf. He loved his children, he loved raising his children. He was amazed at how beautiful each one was, amazed by their personalities and their beliefs. He briefly wondered if he'd live to see grandchildren, smiled mentally at the mere thought of being able to pass wisdom down to another generation. Kisla would grow old gracefully, she'd never lose her beauty. It was a future to look forward to.

Maksim was simply lucky.

"How long, do you think?," he asked softly, peridot gaze falling on Lachesis with raised, questioning brows, "before I can return to my duties? I tell you, the idle lifestyle very much doesn't sit with me." Truthfully he couldn't help the itch in his bones to move, to rule, to patrol. It was in his instinct, his nature. He couldn't simply quell it. As a younger man, he would have claimed it was his birth right to rule. With age, though, he had to realise it was earned, and never simply given.

Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark
we can wrap this up pretty quick so we can start another thread within the next week so they can switch ranks :) thought i would throw in the bit about karpos just so it all plays out nicely ICly

It was moments like this when Lachesis realized how truly lucky he was. After being raised by two-legs in confinement, to escaping (although unwillingly) and facing the ‘feral’ world he had been so afraid of, the tall ghost was finally comfortable with both himself and his surroundings. He had found his forever home, and had made a few strong friendships along the way. While he would always be Maksim’s second—until the king no longer felt capable of leading the River wolves—he felt most comfortable there. He had been a timid creature, never desiring a leadership position in any of the packs he had shuffled around him. All he had wanted to do was serve his pack and be useful, no matter what rank he was placed in. Since receiving both the rank of second and healer, XIX couldn’t see himself in any other role. It was where he belonged; aiding his leader—his friend. He was grateful for their friendship, and would treasure it no matter where the future took them.

A chuckle slipped past his lips as his agouti king respond, a soft smirk resting lazily against his lips as he observed the forest around them. Lachesis had seen himself raising children of his own only twice in his life—once, with Bastet, as their relationship flourished, and the second time was with Anastasia, which had taken him by surprise. It wasn’t until Anastasia returned after her year-long absence that XIX realized how much he had needed her in his life and how badly he wanted her to remain a constant in his future. Those thoughts had led to the downfall of his and Bastet’s relationship, and he believed that it was because of Ana that the obsidian female had disappeared. But, then his blue-eyed china doll had also disappeared—almost as if her entire return had simply been a figment of his imagination. Since her absence, XIX abandoned the thought of finding someone to share his life with. There were few females who could captivate his attention. Perhaps it was because he still hoped Anastasia—or Bastet—would return to him, but he was quickly giving up hope. He was destined to be the plant-obsessed hermit of the pack; always the uncle, but never a father.

“Soon Mak. Two more weeks, I promise. Then the throne is all yours.” He confirmed his words with a short nod, his chartreuse gaze focused on the older male. Lachesis knew he couldn’t keep the king away much longer; he needed to be in his rightful position. He would always be a leader, and wouldn’t settle for anything but—and XIX understood that. “So Karpos came to me,” he started nervously, his ears falling back as the words filled the void between them. “He said he would like to search for his sister once more, before giving up hope completely. He wants to leave within the next few days. I told him to speak to you first.” While it pained him to think of his nephew leaving (everyone left him), he could not force the Slayer heir to stay. His sister was the only thing that kept his late father’s image alive. 

(This post was last modified: Jan 29, 2016, 04:37 AM by Lachesis.)
Inactive Deceased
Maksim Baranski
@Lachesis - Sorry this took so long, lovely! ♥

Two weeks, Lachesis swore, and the titan-wolf nodded. Was it optimistic? Perhaps, though could Maksim fault the ghostly healer if that proved to be the case? Not at all. Anything to still the gryphon in the Baranski's heart. He smiled once more, studying his companion's expression before turning his gaze to the sky above, peeking through the Redwood canopy. "I'll save you the worry, and come to you once I fully feel recuperated. Perhaps, I require the break. It's a taxing life style, though I adore every moment of it."

Mention of Karpos had Maksim's gaze returning to Lachesis, his brows lifting as he listened. So, the swarthy lad had hopes of searching for his sister once more. Closing his peridot eyes as he mulled over his thoughts, the agouti wolf pursed his lips. Family was important -- it was the code the wolves of the River lived by (at least, these days they did) -- and if the lord himself had been given the chance to find Anzhela and reunite with her, he would snatch up the opportunity in a heart beat. Siblings had a bond that was often hard to shatter completely. The news of Karpos' planned departure saddened the older male; a strong lad with a good head on his shoulders was the Slayer prince, that much was obvious. He would be missed, no doubt, by more than just the higher ranking members.

"I will give him my blessing once he seeks me out," Maksim confirmed, eyes opening as his sights drifted to the treeline. "I should like to wish him well, too. As you yourself will know, winter is not a wise time for a wolf to be by himself." Taking a deep breath, Hearthwood River's founder shook his head. Such grim thoughts he conjured in his mind! "I will not consider it abandonment, or betrayal. I will welcome him back warmly, as I'm sure you will too." He offered the medicinal wolf a genuine smile. "Karpos will be fine -- he's a smart lad, of that I am certain."

Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark
@Maksim no worries! up to you if you'd like to wrap this up soon! we can always carry on their conversation on a later date so we can switch the ranks back <3

Lachesis was grateful for his king’s trust — he knew it was difficult for the agouti to male to be away from the throne for so long. He was a proud creature and was incapable of being anywhere but in the captain’s chair; at least, for as long he was capable being at the helm. “I know,” he responded with a soft wag of his tail, a coy smile perched lazily across his dark lips. “It's where you belong and I won’t keep it from you — Hearthwood wouldn’t be the same.” XIX could not even imagine what the river would be like if Maksim was no longer capable of leading … even just thinking about didn’t feel right.

The silence that settled between them worried the pale healer. He knew that his nephew was testing his luck by disappearing to search for his MIA sister, but Lachesis would do the same if he had a sister to look for. He had done the same, when he had gone looking for Karpos with his blue-eyed companion, Anastasia. That, however, did not end well. He shivered at the thought, his pale orbs focused on the ground beneath his paws as he awaited the older male’s response. As always, he was thoughtful with his words; his wisdom shining through the syllables that eased off his tongue. The comment about the cold weather struck him hard — Lachesis had experienced the cruel nature of winter in all it's horrible glory. “I know he’ll return… she is the only family he has here; it makes sense that he wants to seek her out.” Although the long-legged healer did not have any family of his own in Relic Lore, he did not want to seek out the Reserve. It was a place that only held cold, bleak memories — if his family wanted to reunite with him, they could seek him out. He wanted to stay as far away from the two-leg place as possible.

Karpos was different. Due to being abandoned by his birth mother at a very young age, the chocolate youth found it difficult to let go of his family. XIX could still remember the day when he and Ana had told the little Slayer that they were leaving Pitch Pine Trail behind to seek out a new home in Darkwater Rapids… the heartbreak in Karpos’ eyes was something the healer could never forget…

“There is something else…” he started quietly as he glanced at his king from the corner of his eye: “When your health has returned, I would like to discuss the dragon in our midst… I worry about his presence.” As much as he wanted to dive into the topic, he knew that his leader needed to rest. Whether or not it was something to discuss now, or when they were swapping ranks, would be up to the River king. “It may just be me; I fear I’m growing bitter as I get older.”