(See All?) Announcements
494 Users Online
Bing, Google

touch me not — Riddle Heights 
Print · · Subscribe · 1 Loves ·
Played by Vet who has 367 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Wraith Kael

At first, Wraith had assumed Capable meant to shame him for wanting @Morganna in the physical sense, but as the female continued on, he found perfect clarity. And perfect fury.

Wraith's ears drove forward intensely, lips peeled up in a snarl while he stood to pace angrily. The emotion was not reserved for @Isuni in the least. Rather, it was directed toward whatever imbecile had led her to believe such a thing to be true. "Whoever told you that is an ignorant asshole," he stated plainly. The black male was not one to generally use strong language, and certainly not in front of a lady, but his temper flared uncontrollably now at the thought of a male - no doubt a male, for no female would say that to another - making a young Capable feel incapable and worthless.

Forcing himself to calm, Wraith lowered himself back onto the rocks and glared down the path he'd come in an effort to not make it seem like he was threatening her. On the contrary, he wished to travel back to the time someone had dared tell her that so he could rip into their damned throat. He forced out a sigh, demanding his anger to dissipate. Grief replaced it. "I would consider myself lucky indeed to be gifted with a daughter." Quieter, he looked straight at Capable. "I'm sorry someone didn't feel the same about you." It was unjust. Cruel. And so beyond wrong. He wondered if the male would feel the same if they'd been around to watch her grow. If they'd been around to see the way she could rip into a boar's throat and come to the defense of her packmates. Or maybe they were the kind to always be blind to those around them.

With a bit more insight now, Wraith murmured, "Any male worthy of his own manhood would be grateful for any child of his."

[Image: wm2_by_becuffin-dblzotz.png]
Played by Ace who has 125 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Capable

“You think so?” she asked dryly, watching the male with keen interest.  The moment he tried to turn on her with those sharp teeth, he’d find himself with the fury returned in kind.  Nothing was stronger than a wolf’s instinct to survive, packmate or otherwise.  If she could find it in herself to ward off her brother and agemate, she was certain she would have little trouble putting Wraith in his place should he come at her.

She shook her head, gathering her feet underneath her.  Lifting her bulky frame, the red wolf began to mirror the pacing.  The burn just beneath her skin had never stilled, and the conversation was only fueling that itch in the pads of her paws.  There were some days she wanted to run, and never look back.  Things were so much simpler when she was on her own – even if she was hungrier, and more tired than she’d ever been before.

“Then why’d you breed her if you’re not going to have a shot at raising those pups?  You said earlier you weren’t going to be alpha.”  She could only assume if this man was not Morganna’s equal, he was not her mate.  “They’ll be Archers.  Not yours.  And all you can do is look on and think I made that.”  Capable shook her head, unwilling to believe the dark wolf would actually be interested in a daughter?  For what?  Maybe for trading with another pack.  But that was the sort of sweet talk he’d want you to believe – and before you knew it, you’d end up pregnant.

“Don’t go and say you feel sorry for me, Wraith.  You don’t know what Moose’s Tooth was like.”  Capable sneered at the memory.  When was the last time she’d actually spoken the name? “A man wants to pass on his blood, to earn honor and glory, and then he will pass to Valhalla and leave his son to carry his good name.”

What kind of fool wolf didn’t know that?  She looked back at the man, her expression unreadable. “His mate is only a vessel for that.  And by giving him a son, she will achieve access to Valhalla, herself.”  And oh, there was so much more to it than that, but Capable was no teacher.  It all came bubbling out anyways, and she could not stop it.  For so long she had buried her past.  Perhaps too long, for it wouldn’t be stopped now, even as she tried to will it away.  “Do you know what happens if she cannot?  Or if she only bares daughters?  Or sons unworthy to the man?  He may take another.  He may take as many as he likes.  Maybe you will stay with Morganna, maybe you won’t.  Why does it matter?  You do not carry the pups in your belly, there is no price to be paid!  A strong daughter might be a good nanny to protect your more precious children, or perhaps she is comely, and you can trade her to another pack in the name of peace and prosperity.  I am not stupid, do not feel sorry for me.  I know how the world works.”

bring me home, bring back what's stolen,
Capable
like you're supposed to
Played by Vet who has 367 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Wraith Kael

The question rankled. There were any number of responses he could have offered.

Because I am not an unfeeling stag taking his pleasure where he wants? Because I am undoubtedly naive enough to think I am helping my pack stay strong? Because, at the end of the day, Morganna needed a solution to a problem and I was willing to be that for her? Without regard for consequences, he reminded himself. Without concern for his own feelings after the fact.

But he said none of this. Wraith stood in stony silence as Capable stated something he'd only just begun to consider.

He listened as she continued brazenly, the conversation then turning to her distaste for him communicating sympathy at all. The more she sneered, the more of an insight he gained into just who she was, where she'd come from. As far as Wraith was considered, the males were second rate. Cowardly and foolish to think so poorly of a bond as strong as a mate. It was as insulting as a loner breaking pack law.

When she was through, Wraith waited. And waited. Until only their breathing was between them and some of the tension had ebbed. "That is not the way the world works," he said calmly. He had to remain calm. Forced it upon himself, though beneath, his heart swelled with rage on her behalf. "There is nothing more precious than a mate. No one worth more in the world. It's more powerful than any pack bond. And any child that comes from that mate? As precious and worthy of protection. Worthy of laying down a life in defense. Worthy of any cost.

"I'm sorry," he said again, "that these basic laws of life were not present in your life. You are not stupid," Wraith agreed emphatically. "But you were absolutely given a rough hand, were undeserving of such cruelty."

Wraith let the subject drop. Words could be powerless in the face of a lifetime spent believing such things. He would not likely change her mind here today, but perhaps it would help open her mind to the possibility that what she knew from birth was not as it should be. Whatever venom she had as a result, he would shoulder it. Let her see him as this Moose Tooth if she preferred. He'd simply have to show her - in time - that things could be different.

"As for pups, they are never raised solely by a mated pair. They are raised among a pack."
[Image: wm2_by_becuffin-dblzotz.png]
Played by Ace who has 125 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Capable

Ugh.  Had she not just said she wanted no pity?  Why did Wraith keep on about how sorry he was?  Ears folded back as she shook her head, shaking the unwanted sympathy away as a duck might shed the rain from its back.  There was no point, she was quickly coming to realize, arguing this any further with the black wolf.  Either he was not going to let up his farce, or he was truly a fool.  In either case, her presence did not benefit her any further.

Glancing at the male over her shoulder, Capable huffed through her nose. 

“That is not the way the world works.” Honored mates.  Treasured children.  Only in fairy tales, she thought, but story time did not appeal to her in the least.  This meeting was done.  Her tail twitched unhappily and she turned about.  She was not pointed towards Willow Ridge, but she wanted to be anywhere but here.  Anywhere but with Wraith and his stink and his stupid notions. “I am off.  Don’t follow me,” she grunted, giving no further explanation.  If he wanted to stay on the mountain and continue to hide, fine by her.

Capable only wanted her space.

Exit.

bring me home, bring back what's stolen,
Capable
like you're supposed to