Bing, Google

Winds of Change — Thicket of Secrets 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by PuppyThief who has 418 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Aideen Smoke-Athesila
@Nina <3

- Not far from the borders, before noon, Partly Cloudy - 17 ° F/-8 ° C

A light breeze ruffled through russet hairs, black snout quivering, breathing in deeply. A long, deep sigh fell from dark lips, lids parting from copper eyes that turned skyward, to the sun, peeking out between fluffy, white clouds. There was change in the air! Ever since Veho's visit, she had felt it, a creeping warmth that seemed more of a mental sensation than a physical one. The blowing winds no longer rattling bones, but bringing promises, of lighter, warmer days. On a day like this one, she was more certain than ever, finally feeling the warm fingers of the sun, reaching out to kiss the earth and finally free it from winters frozen embrace. She had longed for spring for so long, since the last time she experienced it even, and now she could finally, finally feel it approaching.

It set her whole body abuzz, fur tinkling, not yet shedding, but making ready to; Teeth watering as she longed for fresh meat; And her stomach aflutter. This particular spring brought more promises than any previous, promises that simultaneously made butterflies flutter in her chest, and filled her with dread. She couldn't sit still, every moment she was moving, doing anything she could to keep her mind occupied. Sometimes she walked the borders, but Miccah was always keen on keeping them strong, and his scent only made her more erratic. Mostly she wandered off the land, looking for the first, weak signs of spring, with a healer's keen eye for sprouting medicinal herbs.

But on this morning, she had only come a short distance out of the Woodlands, when the sunlight in an open clearing had caused her to pause. She stepped out into the open, feeling the distant heat of the sun on her back, and found herself, for whatever limited time it might be, at peace. So here she had sat down, on yellowing grass peeking out, where hooves of hungry animals had cleared away the snow. She turned her head to the sun, closing her eyes and listening to the winds rattle in the branches above. Soon enough this peace would be over.

Word count: 355

Thoughts ”Speech”
Played by Lightning who has 1,043 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Nina Hervok
She could feel it in her bones as well as the change in the air. She could feel the buzz in her veins and she knew that it was time. Nina's single emerald eye sparkled when she awoke from her nap, stretching, the cracking of her joints another sign of her passing reign. Yes, it was time.  The Hervok matriarch was quick to find the trail of Aideen, following it quickly and with ease. She made her way through the Thickets and out of them without trouble. She followed her friend's trail knowing that this would be one of her last times in her chain of command. 

It didn't not take her long after that to find the other woman, her golden browned pelt standing out beautifully in the sun, much like hers had during her younger days. She strode forward confidently, her voice coming across strong, though her body was weak, "Aideen!" she called to get the other woman's attention before continuing, "I have been extremely pleased with your progress. It's time that you ascend." She was blunt and honest with her subordinate. It would be easier this way. 
It seems when you're around, my life is complete.
Inactive No Rank
Aideen Smoke-Athesila

Paws rustling through the snowy underbrush brought the fiery lass' attention back to reality, head lowering and eyes opening, blinking against the light. It seemed her moment of piece was over. But the voice that sounded in the sunny clearing brought a smile to Aideen's face, and she turned to greet her friend and mentor, a warm glow in her eyes. "Nina." She replied softly, bushy, orange tail waving at her hocks. She moved to add a physical honors to the greeting, but froze mid-step as the Queen announced her reason for coming. It came so suddenly, the medic didn't even have time to wonder, to get nervous about the effects or formalities. Instead she found herself speechless, brain suddenly processing things very slowly. "Oh." She finally managed, still staring, rather blankly, at Nina.

It wasn't that she hadn't expected this. At some point. In fact, wasn't part of her spring jitters caused by this very expectation? And jet, it seemed so sudden. Which was a bit ridiculous, honestly, after all she had been training for this all through winter. But now the reality of it hit, slamming into her like a hurricane; Ascend! LEAD! She had made up with her insecurities, gained the needed confidence through training and support from the queen herself. And yet her mouth was dry, eyes struggling a bit to focus on the one eyed woman before her. In the end, it took a great deal of effort for her to pull herself together enough to speak; "Already? I mean, do you think it's time?" Her voice was surprisingly steady, like it had no connection to her toiling emotions. Meanwhile she felt like she was listening to it from somewhere far away.

It did eventually register with her, the sound of the words, and she shook her head lightly, a soft smile returning to her lips. "Of course you do, or you wouldn't have come here, right?" Now the familiar warmth was back in her voice, smile growing as she looked at Nina; "I am ready if you deem me so." Because she did feel ready, nervous, but ready.

Word count: 354

Thoughts ”Speech”
Inactive Deceased
Nina Hervok

Even if her words were blunt it was worth seeing the shock cross over Aideen’s face and watch as she froze in place. Nina did not bother hiding the smile that lit up her face. She only nodded at Aideen’s hesitancy, knowing that, in time, it would fade. When she had started, there had been no plans for Nina to lead or have a family. She had no doubt that Aideen would be a wonderful mother and would grow to be a wonderful lead. The golden brown woman would be sure to be there for her, as an advisor of sorts, because she knew that transitioning alone was not easy. She had done it, without Koda, but she had made it. The Hervok just wanted to make Aideen’s transition as smooth as possible.

Her lips curved into a bigger smile, her eyes wrinkling. Despite the dark times in Secret Woodlands, Nina felt that things were finally going to get better. Aideen and Miccah were the future, as well as their children and Nina could not be any more proud of her. The matriarch closed the distance between them and looked into the sparkling eyes of her friend, giving as much reassurance as she could. "I am so proud of all the work you have done, Aideen. You have truly gone above and beyond." She paused for a moment, her single eye searching her friends for any doubts before continuing, "And you know that if you ever need any guidance…I will only be a conversation away." Her last comment was light and she hoped that she could relieve some of her friend’s stress, if there was any.

Inactive No Rank
Aideen Smoke-Athesila
@Nina <3 - this post was threatening to get very long, but I decided to pause here and leave Nina room to react ^^;

Nina's clear amusement made her successor titter, shaking her head lightly. The whole thing felt so surreal, never in her life had Aideen Smoke imagined herself as a leader of a pack. But over the last year everything had changed so much, herself included. She wasn't that same girl now, who had left her family to the north in search of adventure. She had loved and lost, and loved again. Found a new home that she cared for, probably even more than the place she was born in. And now it would be hers fully, to protect and direct, hers and Miccah's. The fox-like lass looked at her mentor, her friend, both of them all smiles. The golden woman who had become like a second mother to a young, aspiring healer, so far from home; Who had helped her through the troubles of heartbreak and confusion, just like she'd done with every wolf who sought refuge in the Woodlands. The queen of the thicket; Only not any longer…

And that was the real shock. Under all this apparent joy, lay the truth that Nina was stepping down. No longer would the matriarch rain over the pack that had been synonymous with her name for as long as Aideen had known them. Her eyes grew moist at the realization – not that she hadn't thought about it before, but now it was suddenly all too real – and Nina's words didn't help her emotion. "Oh Nina." The younger woman whispered, smile shaky as the tears pooled in her coppers. Luckily the matriarch had more to say, because Aideen had again been rendered speechless, having to bite her lip and swallow hard not to grow hysteric. As such, the reminder came at a perfect time, coaxing a smile back on the reddish girl's face. She nodded, a little extra vigorously as if to convince herself, taking a deep breath to get her feelings under control. "Thank you." She breathed, meeting the elder woman's single, bright eyes, still a wet sheen in her own; "It helps, knowing I can always turn to you for advice."

And then the tears were swimming over again, forcing her to turn briefly, raising a creamy paw to wipe her eyes. "Oh for heaven's sake!" She murmured, smiling at her own silliness as she looked back up at Nina; "It's not like you're leaving! I don't know why I'm carrying on like this." She shook her head, as if she could shake of the unexpected emotion, silently wondering if it was the change of seasons that had made her so sensitive. This would ultimately be to the best of all of them, as well as the Woodlands as a whole. Aideen both understood and believed that, Nina had chosen herself to step down, slow down to watch her health and ensure that the pack remained strong with new leadership. Of course emotions weren't rational things, and Aideen had always had an abundance of them. Still she was slightly embarrassed by her reaction, feeling like she should have been more… stable, when Nina handed over leadership to her.

Finally she felt back in control of her expression and looked back to the former queen, a slight sheepishness to her smile; "I promise I'll handle myself better when we tell the pack. I assume you… We will call them together soon? It's been too long since the last meeting anyway, and with spring coming…" Suddenly she was all seriousness, lips pursing in thought. The responsibility was settling on her shoulders, and she found herself slipping into the role with surprising ease.

Word count: 599

Thoughts ”Speech”
Inactive Deceased
Nina Hervok

Aideen had always been the emotional one. The Hervok leader had come to learn to take the woman’s emotions in stride and accept them. It was what made her who she was and Nina cared dearly for her. So the woman continued to watch in stifled amusement as her friend went through her own emotional battle, seeming to try to overcome her emotions. Of course, it was already difficult enough with the season but the Thickets Queen had faith that, in the end, Aideen would pull through and be a magnificent queen and mother. Nina’s ears flicked forward as the russet woman continued to speak. Her lips twitched up into a smile. Yes, it was long overdue for a meeting.

The last meeting she called had been under stressful terms, involving Iopah and Koda’s betrayal, may they rot in the pits of hell. It was definitely time for a shift in tone, especially after Daniel’s death, and most recently Mirren and Lyanna’s disappearances, both of which upset her deeply. Just as all of the Tainn siblings got back together, it seemed they were only to be torn apart again. Now, only Nios remained.

Finally, she responded to Aideen’s words, "You’re right…but I will warn you now. It is possible that not everyone will respond to this change well…but you will have to take that with grace and style." Nina was once again slipping into her mentorship position, finding it easier to deal with Aideen’s emotions when she was doing such. After all, it could be saddening when you didn’t get as much support as you were hoping for. Hopefully, for Aideen that wouldn’t be a problem but Nina could never be too sure and so she sought to prepare her.

Inactive No Rank
Aideen Smoke-Athesila

Nina's support was unwavering, and ever important to the russet woman. Her familiar teaching-voice helped Aideen retain her own professionalism, and she nodded thoughtfully at her mentor's words. It was understandable, only a year prior, Mirren had held up the throne next to his foster mother and all had pointed towards Kite ascending to lead next to her mate. This new order might seem like a last resort to some. Of course, ultimately Nina's decision reigned supreme, but it would be up to Aideen to prove herself worthy as the new queen of the Woodlands. It was a heavy responsibility, but she felt steady under its weight, after all she had been preparing for it for a long time.

So she smiled softly at Nina, replying in a positive ringing voice: "I will. Hopefully they'll allow me to show them I'm capable." Sadly there were a number of the newer members of the pack that she didn't know so well, she had been so busy over the winter that there hadn't been time for much more than a brief hello now and then; I'll need to make up for that! Rusty ears flicked, tail waving in a reassuring manner. She felt ready for this, and with Nina's continued guidance and Miccah by her side, she was sure she could succeed. Miccah… That reminded her; "There's another thing Nina…" Even as her voice remained steady, the tri-colored lass' expression grew nervous, eyes blinking rapidly as they longed to turn downward, yet she forced them to continue looking into the single emerald across from her.

This was something that had been churning in the back of her mind  for a couple months now. Mirren had never returned from his quest to search for Kite, his disappearance further mudding Aideen's feelings about the man. She tried to give him lenience, would she not have gone searching if it had been her Miccah lost out there? In fact, she herself had been gone from the pack several months last winter, lost in the snowstorms to the north. And it was Miccah who eventually brought her home after she finally made her way to the blackberry fields. Would he have continued his search if she hadn't? Disappeared from the pack without a word? She doubted it, though, if the roles had been reversed, she might. In any case, she could understand Mirren's plight, but she'd also been abandoned, and seen Nina abandoned, often enough to cool her heart towards those who deserted.

In the end, there was one result of the Tainn's absence that couldn't help but make the delicate girl smile. She would ascend the throne of Secret Woodlands, and she would have her husband beside her. Which meant… Aideen cleared her throat heat rising to her face as she continued: "Miccah and I… We wanna maintain the Woodlands like you've build it, uphold your laws." She nodded to herself, as if to confirm the truth of her words. She knew Miccah respected and cared for Nina as much as she did, they both owed so much to the matriarch, and her dark knight had been very clear, previously, on his feelings about the laws of the thicket. "I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would like to have pups, mine and Miccah's children… As leaders, we would not break the law by breeding. But I wouldn't… I mean I would like…" The vixen wolf sighed loudly, frustrated at her own inability to formulate her thoughts. Finally she managed: "Would we have your blessing, to start a family of our own?" As much as she longed to be a mother, she wouldn't feel right about it, without Nina's approval.

Word count: 618

Thoughts ”Speech”
Inactive Deceased
Nina Hervok

She had done her duty in calming Aideen's fears. Of course, Nina sure there would be plenty to come along in the future but she would not be going anywhere anytime soon and would be there to guide Aideen and the pack through these changing times. The graying woman's tail swayed behind her, showing how relaxed she was, how content she was to finally be home. The Hervok woman had worked her ass off to build Secret Woodlands and it had almost been taken away from her due to those who had betrayed her on multiple accounts but she prevailed. It would be hard for her to adjust and step down but her heart and aching joints reminded her that it would be for the best. Aideen's hesitancy captured her attention.

Nina's single eye narrowed, making it look as if her eye were completely closed. She thought that they had covered everything. The alpha's ears flicked forward with each and every word, confusion obvious in her gaze. The words made no sense, until her last question. Dark bastard didn't tell her then. Nina mused silently to herself. A wide smile was given to her friend, a small laugh emitting from her maw, "You and your husband are perfect for one another. He asked me the same question and the answer...of course, is yes. That isn't my decision to make anyway." She gave a meaningful look to the woman in front of her and if she would have had another eye, she would have winked. Secret Woodlands needed a new generation and as the laws said...only the alpha pair may breed.

Inactive No Rank
Aideen Smoke-Athesila
@Nina one more from you and we can call this finished? <3

It wasn't something they had discussed, not openly at least. Since their journey across the mountains and commitment to one another, they'd only grown closer, their shared love and obligation to the Woodlands binding them together. But since that evening, their conversations had been mostly light and short, touches and kisses, no deeper discussions about the future. It hadn't seemed like they needed them though, they were in love, the future would come all on its own. It was only now, when Nina had handed her the reign, that the full implications had hit the new queen.

But it seemed her King had been more foresighted, as Nina revealed with a bright smile. Aideen's mouth fell open, her expression for a moment frozen in surprise; He did what?! Then slowly, her grin returned, accompanied by a laughter to echo her friend's. Of course he had, meticulous as he was, her husband had made sure to put all affairs in order long before she even thought of them. Copper eyes shone back at the matriarchs single, glittering green, joy alight in every fiber of the vixen girl. When she replied her voice was light, filled with the cheer still shining on her face; "We must be. Thank you, it wouldn't feel right without your approval, even if there was a decision to make." Her tail swished behind her, a playful note to her voice, though her chest was swelling with emotions. With the knowledge that her mate had made the very same request, she felt sure no discussion would even be needed. She was gonna be a mother, and he a father, and together they would lead Secret Woodlands with Nina's guidance.

Word count: 281

Thoughts ”Speech”
Inactive Deceased
Nina Hervok

The former leader felt no jealously at Aideen's happiness. Once upon a time, that had been Nina, with Koda and then with Hollow and it seemed that both were not meant to be. The rest of Nina's life would be committed to ensuring that Aideen, Miccah, and Secret Woodlands' happiness lasted until her last breath. Her smile was toothy and she felt lighter than she had in years. She was glad that her opinion would still have some kind of weight with the Athesilas. Even though she had given her torch over, she was remaining within the Woodlands and would like to see the laws that Sloane and she created upheld.

The thought of her friend brought an ache of longing. It had been years since he had been seen and there was no doubt that his soul had long since joined the stars. She glanced up at the sky in question briefly, before turning her gaze back to Aideen. Now was not time for such dreary thoughts of mourning. Truly, it was time for celebration of new beginnings.