(See All?) Announcements
528 Users Online
Google, Bing

Sheep's Clothing — Lavender Ethos 
Print · · Subscribe · 1 Loves ·
Played by PuppyThief who has 157 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Orren Baranski
I know we have a few other threads going already, but this discussion is long overdue ;)

Yet another quiet day in Kingsfall; Too quiet! Monotony had always been an enemy of the adventurous Baranski prince, but lately, something more had been added to the simple tedium of silence. A shadow had fallen over the river, just as they thought themselves free and ready to start over, a new threat had encroached on their happiness. At least that was how Orren felt, but he seemed to be desperately lonely in that, and with no hard evidence to present, all he could do was wait. Wait for the dragon to make a mistake, and show everyone what he was, what the river prince knew he was. But waiting him out was no easy feat, Orren certainly was no pillar of patience and sitting around had never suited him, and besides, for every moment this threat went undisturbed, it further corrupted the pack. He feared, he feared for his family, the paradise they had found here and the snake determined to destroy it. Most of all though, he feared to be shunned, to be scolded and laughed at and cast out, to go to his mother and father with these accusations and be called a child and a liar. Despite his growing confidence, his bettering attitude and mastering of his craft, Orren was still, at heart, desperate for recognition, terrified of rejection, and certain that he could never be enough, never fill the spot left behind by his brother.

That was why, when he returned to the pack lands that evening, trailing through the shimmering paths of moonlight between the towering trees, he didn't seek out his parents. When his pale paws let him to a secluded spot of unusual, lush vegetation and aromatic flowers and his ebony-masked head lifted to the heavens, he didn't call for them. No, his low, deep song went out to someone else, someone who had supported him in his adventures and strives, who had always been there to guide him, uplift him, believe him; "@Naia we need to talk."

Word count: 336

Thoughts ”Speech”

Played by Alace who has 323 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Naia Aegina
The Ethos was contemplative place for Naia, but perhaps for her in particular the location induced a heavier, melancholy feeling. The clearing was beautiful tonight, with the silver moon shining down upon the lavender stalks that bobbed gently in the wind, but still Naia remained in the shadows at the edge of the clearing. Her thoughts had turned to the very day she had discovered Lavender Ethos and to the duty which she had come here to perform that day. The dragon had been with her then, helped her even—at that point he was still effectively disguised in his sheep’s clothing, albeit he had always been a little strange. Now as she thought back on that day, it seemed as if they had buried three children here: she and Jynx had each laid to rest a stillborn while Kjors slowly, almost unnoticeably, ensepulchered the child little Karina used to be.

She became aware of the presence of a live Baranski child, and she allowed her attention to divert from the dead and the lost. She stepped into the moonlight to greet her student warmly, relief sighing quietly out of her as she pressed her cheek against Orren’s shoulder (he was so tall now!). “Certainly, Orren. What’s on your mind?” At least this Baranski—her favorite if she were being honest—was still here, still listened to his teachers and did as he was told.. but really he had done so much more than that. He had stepped into the position that his brother had left vacant, becoming the model prince and heir that the River needed. If Aleksei was to return, would Orren give all that up to be the lesser prince once more? Somehow Naia didn’t think he would, and more so, she wouldn’t want him to. 
[Image: hashtags-inalinaia.png]
Inactive No Rank
Orren Baranski
@Naia

He was surprised to see her immerge so quickly, slipping from the shadows with elegant steps and gliding towards him through the sea of flowers. Despite his serious broodings, a smile came to the young man's face as they met, his head bending down to let her brush against it, copper muzzle gracing her jaw to leave a small nib at its base. For as long as Orren could remember, Naia had been his mentor and guide, had seemed to understand him in a way that the rest of his family couldn't, and he was sure that, if it hadn't been for her, he would not be the wolf he was today. That was why he had come to her, because he trusted and respected her, and believed that she would listen. And yet as he pulled back to meet her honey gaze, he suddenly felt uncertain; The last thing he wanted was to push her away, to ruin their relationship. After all, he had no proof, only bad premonitions and what could very well be perceived as - and maybe was to some degree - jealousy.

But he had come, he had called and she had answered; I won't turn back now! Lifting one leg to rub it against the other, persimmon eyes drifted away, looking emptily into the shadows while his lips pursed a little. Finally he spoke, voice unusually tentative: "I... I'm not sure... I..." He sighed, looking back at his teacher, letting himself find confidence in her warm, open eyes; "I'm worried. I feel like... Like something isn't right. Karina's been... Weird, and even Mom..." Charcoal brow furrowed in frustration as the boy struggled to express his feelings, muscles tensing with trepidation. He had never been, and would probably never be, very good with words, he was a wolf of action. Talking like this felt wrong in a way, almost sleazy, going behind other's backs. But he needed to talk this out, to get confirmation for his feelings and make a plan to sort it out; I can't do anything on my own...

A sudden anger flashed in his eyes, and he threw caution in the wind, knowing that any attempt to keep this subtle would only frustrate him more. With a touch of snarl in his voice, that had suddenly gained several levels, he declared: "It's that guy! Something's up with him, he changes everything!" There was no other way of putting it, since the dragon had invaded their home, too many things had been turned upside down.

Word count: 423

Thoughts ”Speech”

Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
There are several fresh rabbit tracks in the mud. Hunt Opportunity
Inactive Deceased
Naia Aegina
Naia tilted her head as Orren began, speaking haltingly and mentioning something about his sister and his mother. Was there something going on between the Baranskis? It was not uncommon for parents and offspring to fight, and Naia had noticed that Karina seemed to be challenging her parents more often and more publicly. She assumed that the first litter was just getting to be about that age.. the age when they either settled into their inheritance in their birth pack or struck it out on their own. It was normal for a yearling to push against authority—especially that of her parents—trying to see where she fit. Honestly, Naia had expected Orren to be the one rebelling, but she supposed things were different now with Aleksei missing. “Karina has changed a lot, but so have you Orren,” Naia reminded the boy.

Naia saw a spark of anger light behind Orren’s blazing eyes, and at once Naia realized that they weren’t just talking about the Baranski women.   “Kjors,” Naia sighed, dropping her gaze so Orren might not notice the hatred flash in her eyes as well. So Orren had come to her seeking her opinion on the man, but the scout was going to have a hard time reassuring the young prince. “He does change things, but it’s hard to say whether it’s for better or for worse.” Karina was certainly different since being inveigle d by Kjors—she was moody and more outspoken but also more confident. Was that such a bad thing though? “I would feel more at ease if I knew his intention behind all these.. changes he’s influencing.” What was Kjors really up to?

Inactive No Rank
Orren Baranski
Orren is very angsty and confused - I blame adolescence!

Naia' first response was gentle, and her pupil lifted his eyes t meet hers, copper ears flattened back. She was right, they had both changed. Only it seemed he for the better while Karina… Or am I kidding myself? Was it truly so bad? The princess had withdrawn from her family yes, but hadn't he been much the same only a few months ago? Could he really blame her for taking the time to be herself? Only she's not JUST herself! If it had come from herself with no outside involvement, perhaps the brother would have been more at ease with this change. But it hadn't! HIM! It all came down to the dragon, digging his claws into the River family.

When the scout spoke again, there was a subtle change to her voice, though it was hard to place exactly. Orren looked into her honeysuckle eyes, trying to gauge her feelings as she spoke the name. But he was far from perfect at reading body language, and Naia had always been good at controlling her expressions. Even her words seemed carefully guarded, but instead of further enraging the boy as they might have if spoken by his mother, the scout's restraint began to deflate his pent up frustration. For about the thousandth time, the prince wondered if his worries were merited, if there was really cause for anxiety or it was all just jealousy. His mentor did not completely dismiss his concerns though, for which he was grateful, and as she finished he breathed a sigh of relief.

"Me too." He muttered, gaze turning out over the clearing, wandering along the tops of the violet flowers surrounding them. After a long pause, the lad began talking, slowly, voice back to its low, frightened state; "I guess… I'm just afraid, that he does change things… Break them. We've been through so much already…" He wasn't crying, there were no tears. But his eyes did sting a bit, and there was the tiniest tremor in his voice as it died out. When they had been forced from Cut Rock River, having to travel across the land with his pregnant mother, and even lost Aleksei along the way, Orren had felt his family suffer, to a degree he feared irredeemable. But then, after finding Hearthwood, laying claim to a new territory, the birth of his sisters… The whole pack had blossomed back up, and the prince had found himself feeling more at home than he ever did in the Cedarwood. But now he feared another tragedy threatened them, and he wasn't sure they could make it through again.

Glancing back to Naia, the lad swallowed hard, forcing a tiny smile onto his face; "But you might be right, we all changed after…" He shook his head a little, unable to speak the words and quickly changed them out: "Perhaps we're just growing up, maybe this is how it's supposed to go?" There was a light lift of his brow, a tilt of his head to suggest a question. Then he continued: "But I'm still afraid. She's my sister and he is… A stranger."

Word count: 521

Thoughts ”Speech”

Inactive Deceased
Naia Aegina
From @Orren's stammered responses, the scout could tell that he was having trouble swallowing her comforting words. To tell the truth, she was getting a twisting feeling in her stomach speaking them as well.. though she wasn't lying to the boy exactly, she was concealing the truth of her opinion of the self-proclaimed dragon. The prince spoke to her of growing up, and Naia heaved a great sigh, the battle within raging harder. “Growing up is always a challenge, but this..” Naia shook her head.  “..This much trouble.. this isn't what we wanted for you.” The scout let her eyes close, remembering.  “If only we had been able to remain in the Cedarwoods..” Everything had been perfect in Cut Rock River, hadn't it? If they hadn't been on the move, they never would have run into Kjors either. Life would have been so.. different.

Naia opened her eyes, and they looked sadder than when she had closed them.  “You've had to grow up very fast,” she said surveying the yearling.. Maksim's heir, while Aleksei was absent. Was she doing him any favors by putting him at ease in a situation where she knew they ought to be on high alert? She spoke again, her voice a little harder. It was the voice of an adult addressing another adult.

“Kjors.. if he does have an agenda, I would bet my paws that it's power. If this is so, he might bide his time, trying to win our trust.. but mark my words he will make a move. Either for your father's position, or.. or your mother's heart..” Naia was not sure how much Orren understood of love and the goings-on between males and females, but she knew she must warn Orren of this possibility all the same. “You've heard the phrase, 'Keep your friends close and enemies closer'? Apply this to Kjors and your sister. Spend time with him, befriend him even.. and keep Karina close as well.” It was too late for Naia to feign friendship with Kjors, they had already burned those bridges to the ground. But Orren.. perhaps Orren could manage it.  “..So that way, when he makes his move, we'll know. We'll be ready.” Her eyes, usually warm as honey, had taken on a cold, metallic look as she deliver the warning. 
(This post was last modified: Feb 25, 2016, 04:18 PM by Naia.)
Inactive No Rank
Orren Baranski
@Naia - terribly late on this one, but I thought we should finish it <3

Her response shocked him, the touch of pain on her face, and the honestly with which she addressed him taking the lad aback. For all of his life, Orren had been a child, treated with kid gloves and kept out of the grown-up's business. Even though the last months had seen him rise to an adult's responsibilities, the yearling still felt like he was viewed only as a boy, not yet old enough to handle the realities of the world. But Naia, his friend and teacher had always been forthcoming, never making him feel like a witless child, and now again, she talked to him like an equal. Copper ears fell back at her admittance. He had come to love Kingsfall, cherishing the lands his family had claimed as their own after being run out of their first home, but he too missed Cut Rock, the river that had lulled him to sleep each night of his first year. Never would the proud youth forget how they had all been chased from those lands, a seething hatred still burning in his heart for the demon he knew only by name; Rook Lyall!

Whether she was right, he wasn't sure. It seemed too easy saying all would have been good had they just stayed. Would Aleksei never have disappeared? Would Karina have never met Kjors? The yearling shook his head lightly, there was no use in asking, they couldn't turn back time. He didn't agree with her statement, he was more than ready to be grown up, to finally be included in everything that went on, rather than watching from the sidelines. But at the sadness in her eyes, he cringed a bit, feeling almost guilty, like he had robbed her in a way, by coming here tonight and asking these questions. She quickly regained composure though, speaking openly, with a hint of steel in her voice.

Orren nodded along, charcoal brows knitted tight as he listened to her apprehensions. Despite his claims of adulthood, there were plenty of options he hadn't even thought about, and his eyes grew wide at the suggestion. "She wouldn't!" He started, then grew quiet. Naia would never have mentioned it if she didn't think it a distinct possibility, and what did he know? Of love and his parents, and Kjors? His mother trusted the dragon and took his council; But would she..?! He pushed aside the thoughts to listen as Naia continued, iron in her eyes when she proposed her plan. The Baranski prince nodded grimly, he knew the saying and understood it's merit. If he could get in good with the one eyed man, something might slip that could help them piece together his plan. "I'll try." He answered, voice and expression as determined as his mentor's. Kjors had eye for little else than Karina, but the lad had managed to get him alone a few times before; I can do this! He wouldn't let this snake tear apart his family!

Word count: 497

Thoughts ”Speech”

Inactive Deceased
Naia Aegina
You're right, let's put this one to rest.

Naia bit her lip at Orren’s protest, wondering if she had made a mistake sharing so much with the young man. He looked full grown to be sure, but he still had the heart and mind of a boy forced to grow up too fast. Of course he balked at the thought of his mother with any other man than his father, but women had been known to do crazier things, especially if all they held dear was at stake. With Maksim in and out of the medicine den these days, what would happen if Kisla decided Hearthwood River needed a stronger king? Kjors would not be the first (winged, fire breathing) snake to whisper his way into the heart of a woman.

Despite her concerns, Orren quickly recovered and nodded solemnly for her to continue. What else could the scout do but oblige him? She finished explaining her plan, and Orren was nodding his agreement even as she spoke. ”I’ll try,” he promised, grim determination matching her own. Naia had the fleeting urge to say, ”Good boy,” praising him like the child he wasn’t. Instead she gave him the nod of an equal. “I can always count on you,” she said with a smile, and her metallic glare melted back into the warm, honey gaze Orren would know well. She inhaled a long breath, the scent of rabbit filling her senses. No doubt a budding Hunter like Orren had detected the prey as well. “Midnight snack?” she suggested to her companion. She had never known Orren to turn down a hunt, so she did not wait for a reply before trotting off down the trail.