656 Users Online
Google, Bing

a long time coming — Whitestone Monadnock 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Vet who has 367 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Wraith Kael
Open to all members of WM. <3

Along the top of the monadnock, Wraith had found the sense of belonging he had been unable to find within the confines of Willow Ridge territory. A powerful northern wind swept along the relatively flat ridge, bringing with it the sense of true home. Warm amber eyes swept along the surrounding plains. In the distance, he could observe the herds amble through the very same scratchy grasses he had traversed when first he fled from the north.

The male breathed deeply, his heart eased by the knowledge that he was no longer running. Though he faced west now, if he turned north, he felt he could just see the outline of the beginning of the long mountain range where he had been born himself. He had needed this change. As much as Wraith required roots to feel happy, he was far too inclined to roam in the south. Contentment was all he felt now. Below, tucked safe in the natural rock-formed den, their pack's future was slumbering. As much as the brute loved doting on them now, he was excited for the time when their eyes would open and they could see the world for all its wonder.

While he played sentry from the high vantage point, Wraith observed the herd patterns. It would be an adjustment for him. Well used to ambush tactics and the ability to sneak up on his prey, the rolling, but relatively flat, lowlands would provide a challenge as prey would be able to see him as clearly as he could see them. It would require teamwork. True teamwork. Not like the half-hearted attempts as what lay within Willow Ridge, but the unity of a strong pack. It satisfied him, the realization that this change would force all of them closer.

A large, dark ear flicked back as he heard a packmate mounting the rise to join him. Turning, he offered a welcoming smile.  "Have a good run?"

Played by becuffin who has 879 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Morganna Archer-Lyall

Who else would she trust to watch her children while they slept? Silent paws had crept away with little more than a thankful glance, muscles screaming with her stretch after what felt like a lifetime trapped within a few short steps of the hole she had dug so hastily in the storm. While at first she had been mesmerised by the glittering stones, now she knew every line, the way they only became visible first thing in the morning or after the sun broke through the clouds following rain. At least she could see most of what there was to see on this large grassy flat - if she wandered as far as the cliff face she could even see across the rolling tundra, almost able to make out a distant tree-line through the haze (or perhaps that was her memory playing tricks on her).

Morganna hadn't yet had a chance to descend from their new lofty claim so when the opportunity finally presented itself she knew better than to politely decline. Her movements had been stiff at first, quickly easing as her muscles warmed. The scree path was suprisingly solid for all it looked like one wrong step would send you sliding (perhaps it would, how she had managed the climb in the rain without falling to her death seemed more a feat than ever in the light of day). A quick pass by the shallow lake, enchanting in the early morning light, brisk northern breeze teasing through her summer coat - she could already feel her body compensating as though autumn was already upon them...

But much too soon, her free time was up. Oh what she wouldn't give for a chance to hunt! but her duty lay with her children and she could not possibly be disappointed with that prospect. So when she finally made her way back and Wraith asked how her run had been, her easy smile spoke a thousand more words than those that left her lips. "Perfect," and it was clear she meant more than just her short run.

[Image: hashtags-skollmorganna02.png][Image: hashtags-morgannarenier.png]
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
There are several fresh rabbit tracks in the mud. Hunt Opportunity
Inactive Deceased
Wraith Kael

The young ones slept peacefully while their mother was away. As much as Wraith appreciated them making his job easy, he longed for the time when they would be up and about, exploring the world that was so new to them. It had always been the brute's greatest delight to share new things with his own siblings growing up. Teaching them the ways of the pack, showing them how to perfect their stalking skills that they would need to hone in order to hunt in the future, all of these things granted Wraith an amount of peace he couldn't find elsewhere. Here, he was useful, doing good. Not enough to make up for his wrongs, but maybe one day, he could.

From where he lay, Wraith lifted his muzzle to tap it affectionately against @Morganna's as she approached. Her answer brought a serene smile from the male. She needed the break. Wraith would have been fine with her taking a longer one and, as evidenced by the still slumbering pups, they would have been, too. Taking the time to reaffirm their bond as they'd not had the opportunity since arriving, Wraith reached over to the thick fur at her neck and gently teased out a prickly seed pod that was caught there.

"Good," he murmured quietly, content in the calm moment. His large head turned to eye the pups' slumbering bodies once again. "They have been quiet. You've still time if you want it." While Wraith would have suggested she take it for her own sake, for his, he preferred if she stay and rest alongside him for a while.

Amber eyes tracked back over the tundra plains, smiling as he imagined the future hunts with the pups once they were old enough for it. He wondered what kind of hunters they would turn out to be. Would @Kara be the fleet of foot and @Odin the strength? Or would they surprise them all and be something wholly unique?

But before that... "We need a pack hunt soon," Wraith advised. While they were each successful in part in bringing in small game for themselves and the pups alike, they would all benefit from a large kill. "If you agree, who should stay behind for the pups?" The Second wouldn't mind at all, but if it was to be another, he wanted to give them ample warning to prepare themselves, knowing full well that not all of them were as tolerant of the young ones as himself.

[Image: wm2_by_becuffin-dblzotz.png]
Inactive No Rank
Morganna Archer-Lyall

A mindful Mmm was offered when he told her she still had time, small smile pulling at the edges of her mouth as she moved to lay beside him. "It's strange, when I can't get away, I can't stop thinking o' all th' other things I should be doin', but when I get out there? I just want ter be back here, even if they are just snorin' away. Its like the sound of their cryin' is burned into my ears, I could be half way back ter the Willows an' I'd still hear it." Had her mother felt the same? Every border patrol, each foray for herbs? She couldn't imagine that it would have been so different for @Elettra. Would the discomfort ease as they grew or would it only grow worse? She couldn't imagine her own children vanishing without a word. It had pained her enough when Asriel had gone. How had it felt for her mother to lose them all?

And then there was Isolde. The memory alone was enough to bring bile to the back of her throat. Would the vast open spaces work for her children? Or against them?

@Wraith was quick to pull her from such a dark train of thought when he suggested that they would need a pack hunt soon, she nodded her agreement, "The caribou seem plentiful enough, there are strange scents here too, like nothing I've ever smelled further south," as to his second question well it would depend on the target. "We'll see what comes our way and figure it out then..." It might require the speed of both Morganna and @Celandine, or perhaps it would require the brawn of @Greer, @Wraith, Capable (@Isuni) and @Craw combined? Who was she to jump to assumptions with little more than a scent on the breeze and the rest of the pack to rally? It would be enough for her to know that regardless of the decision on the day, her children would be cared for.

Inactive Deceased
Wraith Kael

Wraith smiled as @Morganna explained the woes of motherhood. While he certainly couldn't claim such a title, he empathized with her well enough. How many almost-excursions had he gone out on himself only to talk himself out of it for the pups' sakes? What if something happened and he was needed? What if there was a good learning opportunity and he missed out on teaching it to them? He found himself caught between his roles.

As @Craw's Second, he had a duty to perform accordingly and be ready for defending pack territory, scouting the surrounding lands for prey or opportunity, serving as back up for his friend. But as the teacher Morganna had hoped he would become, Wraith also had a duty to the pups. Of course, even were the role not brought up, he would have felt responsible for them. Even if he had absolutely no part in their conception with certainty, he would have felt obligated to look after them. They were innocents and he was honor bound to do everything he could for them.

Personal obligations were warring with pack obligations, so the black brute knew very well what Morganna meant.

But he said nothing of his concerns - she had enough to worry about without shouldering any of his own burdens as well.

"Perhaps by then, they'll be old enough and behave enough for us all to make the trip," he suggested. As much as he wanted them always to be protected, Wraith knew well that could not last forever. In a few more weeks, Kara and Odin would be plenty old enough to behave by themselves for a few hours. They always found ways to entertain themselves and were curious, but wary enough to mind their own. Or so he liked to tell himself.

Inactive No Rank
Morganna Archer-Lyall
She couldn't contain the smirk at his statement, even as small as they were there was little doubt that they were Archers, and whether they went looking for it or not, trouble would find a way to catch them all unawares. "Yer met my brother an' yer know me well enough, do yer really think behavin' is on the list o' things these ones are ever likely ter do willingly?" It was mostly a tease, a jibe at her uncles assumption she was up to no good despite her lawful actions leading in her mothers stead. They would have dealt with more than one lost cub if it hadn't been for her. Where had the marvelous male lead been then? She wouldn't risk her children in the same way he had risked those under their care, and then abandoned her parents in their hour of need.

She snorted away her dark thoughts, the sun caressing her dark coat was enough to remind her she was a long way from the Willows and past concerns had little reason to weigh her down here. "How do yer find it here? Do yer think we'll stay?" she finally questioned, daring to drag herself away from her own dark thoughts. Their stop had been one made of necessity but she found herself more and more comfortable with their current set up, the elevated position, the magnificent views - and those pretty white stones that glittered in the morning light.
Inactive Deceased
Wraith Kael

Wraith chuckled warmly at the sentiment. No, perhaps not. But the northerner was determined that neither would turn out like Skoll. If he could help it, @Kara and @Odin would grow learning to be kind to each other above all, to know the meaning of family, and how to look out for one another. He hoped the illness of the Archer clan that left such a bloodthirsty legacy would remain in Willow Ridge and not travel so far North to affect these young ones. It was what Morganna had asked of him back under that log and it was what he intended to make happen.

"Perhaps they learn faster than either of you," he suggested with a relaxed grin.

Wraith shifted his weight, kicking out his hind limbs easily as he settled again. Her question brought a light to his amber eyes that hadn't been readily summoned in Willow Ridge. "It's home." Truly. In a way the willows could not provide, the northerner's need for heights was fulfilled by the monadnock's commanding presence on the surrounding tundra. His need for family was taken care of the moment they left the suffocating atmosphere encouraged by Nicolo and the others back south. "It's open," he admitted. "But we can see for miles around to any oncoming danger. The elevation takes care of any worries of flooding, too. Yes, I think we'll stay. I hope we do. But if we must, we will leave as we had the willows." Still, the black man imagined them staying in this place for generations to come.

Inactive No Rank
Morganna Archer-Lyall
She chuckled at his jibe about the children learning faster. "With two parents and a teacher I'm sure they will," After all, Morganna, Skoll and Asriel had had only their mother and their nonna. Already Kára and Odin were richer than she had ever been, and while she hadn't discussed what sort of role @Craw might take with the children, she saw the way he looked at them. It was only a matter of time. Just like Angier had with her.

It was refreshing, the way everyone seemed so content already. Perhaps, it was the aching muscles from such and arduous journey, or maybe they had all been walking on eggshells so long it was simply the ability to finally relax? Morganna had to agree when he said that this was home. "It's nice ter see the sky, the stars. I never knew there were so many." They seemed to shine brighter than even in the fireweed rise, and while she would miss the rolling hills and the lagoon - all the places she had come to love, the excitement of exploring new territories was already burning an itch into her tired paws. She would be stuck here for a few weeks yet.

When he suggested that they would leave if they must she managed a smirk, "Yeah but I think I'd fight jus' a little harder ter hold onter this." Old laws be damned, she'd rip the throat out of the next male to threaten her herself.
Inactive Deceased
Wraith Kael
Maybe finish up with your next post? @Morganna

Yes, the pups would grow fast - already were! - and learn all that they needed to not only survive, but thrive. Wraith would see to it. With Morganna and Craw both playing their parts as successful leaders, there was no point in time that both Odin and Kara wouldn't be cared for in full. The entire pack's dynamics revolved around the little ones' success in life. Everyone played a roll. They would be fine. They all would be.

"Mm, yeah," Wraith agreed. "Reminds me of the mountains when I was a pup. I'd look up and see stars like they were snowflakes. Always there and too numerous to count." He was glad to know Morganna was finding the same appreciation for the sky. Wraith remembered an uncle who took great pleasure in reading said stars. He could predict the weather, or so he liked to boast. Sure enough, he was never wrong when it came to a big storm. If he were still alive, Wraith would have loved to ask. But...returning that far north would never be an option.

Not after what he'd done.

He laughed warmly as she admitted to fighting for this place. "I didn't mean for that to sound so lily-livered," he told her. "We'd all fight. I only meant this place isn't as important as the pack itself. We're strong. We'll go on."

The brute stood, giving a languid stretch. "As nice as this is, my legs have the need to roam now. I'm gonna head out on patrol. Soon enough the little ones will be old enough to come along. That'll be a nice treat for them."