(See All?) Announcements
551 Users Online
Google, Jadon, Bing

Spill your secrets old man — Larkcall Lowlands 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Alice who has 1,273 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
Trouble? Askan titled his head a little at that. It wasn't as if he went out of his way to be a pest, but he couldn't deny that as of late he hadn't exactly been on his best behaviour. Certain circumstances had sort of spiralled out of control, and his quick temper had done little to alleviate the situation. Askan knew that Drestig wouldn't scold him here and now, and for that he was grateful, but even so he hoped that the old man wouldn't be too upset when it came to sitting down and talking about what he'd done. Askan was prepared to deal with the consequences of his actions, but it wasn't within his power to control how they effected others, and most importantly the packs standing here in the Lowlands.  Gods, he really hoped he hadn't fucked up too badly.

Feeling that he deserved that little prod, Askan said nothing and simply chuffed as if to say 'yeah yeah, I know.'

When Drestig turned his attention the youngest of the three, the Yukon wolf did the same. Askan wasn't taken back by Drestig's amiable response, he had always been a laid back sorta guy. He imagined that it would take a lot to ruffle his fur, and even then he thought that Drestig wouldn't leap at aggression and violence at the first chance he got. Knowing him, he'd want to talk it out. That said, he was built like a tank,  so if push came to shove Askan was sure the old man would be more than capable of looking after himself and his family. Askan couldn't have chosen a better wolf to follow. 

With Lena at least, Askan knew it wouldn't come to that. If Askan found her tolerable, even if her teasing did get annoying, then Drestig most likely would feel the same, or at least something along the lines anyway. The point was, Askan felt reasonably sure that this meeting would go over well. Hence as to why he was standing aside as a comfortable spectator. Askan knew what was what, but he didn't feel as though it was his part to explain what she wanted to know. She was more than capable of speaking her mind (a fact she had proven on multiple- annoying- occasions), but if they wanted him to put a word in he would. For now, he was was happy to sit and watch the conversation unfold.  Maybe they'd be able to get to the bottom of the mystery of Lena's lineage.

(OOC: Sorry if this response is a bit bleh, I have a headache coming on <_<)
[Image: kana_pixel_by_marthypie-dcn3i8m.gif]
[Image: se_sig_by_becuffin-dbuushz.png]
Played by Mimi who has 69 posts.
Inactive II. Subordinate
Lena Donata

Well, Old Man certainly seemed like a good person. He didn't scowl at her request, didn't shoo her away with a dismissive grunt! He listened, and was friendly. It was nice. It was comforting! Yet, at the same time, he seemed like the kind of male who could protect everything dear to him in an instant. Lena wasn't entirely sure how she knew that. Perhaps she was just good at reading others.

Who was she? Well, she pursed her lips. She wasn't so sure she should just say who she was openly; she had no idea if her name had bad connotations around here! Her family name might swiftly deliver brute force on her ... and yet, how would she find out anything if she did not take risks? She weighed out her options. One: say nothing, return home empty handed. Two: tell Old Man and consequently be chased away. Three: tell Old Man and gain everything she had hoped to receive from this trip.

In her honest opinion, option three was the best bet. She wagered she could outrun both the males with ease--she had speed and youthful energy on her side--if she had to make a getaway. Right. Well then. This was it: she was going to have to tell him who she was. She sucked in a lungful of air as if to steady her breathing ... and then smiled as brightly as she could.

"Awright! My name is Lena. Lena Donata."

Pause. Continue.

"I'm here because I'm lookin' for my dad's family. His name's Sceral, 'nd he told me, when I was little, that he came from a place called Relic Lore." She stopped to breath, took the opportunity to gauge the reactions of the dark males, before continuing. "He never told me much about 'em ... always said he was too ashamed, or somethin'. I wanted to prove him wrong, 'cause I don't think families could ever hate their own." Her naivety was outstanding. "I've come a long way, to try 'nd track 'em down."

She swallowed thickly, her boldness shining through. "Can you help me?"

Played by PuppyThief who has 538 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Drestig Avalon

Askan, wisely one might say, leaned back, leaving it to the girl to explain herself. At first she seemed reluctant and Drestig waited patiently, tail still waving nonchalantly behind him. She'd had no trouble talking before, but now her pale eyes were shifting, something about his questions had made her uneasy; Can't get answers without giving some yourself, lass. That was the rule of this world, information needed to be an exchange.

Finally the young woman looked to have made a decision, a smile slipping unto her lips as she prepared to speak. What she said almost knocked the air from his lungs, eyes widening at the simple statement of a name; DONATA? The elder wolf felt frozen inside and out, his tail stopping the rhythmic swishing as his mouth fell slightly open; That was Corinna's name. Hers and… Lena supplied the rest before his slow moving brain had time to reach the conclusion; No way!

It took a little while before he even realized she had stopped speaking, the shock ringing loudly in his ears. Then he had to focus hard on getting his mouth to obey him. When eventually he did manage to answer, his voice was half a shout, and yet he could hardly hear his own words; "Sceral! You're Sceral's..?" The too-loud question fizzled out into inaudible surprise. He had no idea what to say. Part of him felt like he should have noticed beforehand, the eyes, even that smile she so bravely held up while awaiting judgment. But he could have never even imagined! The young Donata's disappearance still weighed heavily on his mind, the first of many blows to strike Oak Tree Bend while he lived there; Unbelievable..!

A small, breathy laugh fell from his silver-stained muzzle, eyes flickering shut as he shook his head lightly, collecting himself. It did seem life would never seize throwing things at him. "I'm sorry," He croaked, clearing his throat before continuing in a more even voice; "This is quite the surprise. I knew your father." Ember gaze lifted to meet the pale yet strong one across from him, a soft smile curling his lips; A surprise indeed!

Word count: 360

"Speech" Thoughts

pride12
Played by Alice who has 1,273 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
Askan wasn't a jumpy wolf, he wasn't prone to freak outs or panic attacks. There were things he feared of course, but they weren't exactly tangible, things that could physically harm him. It was all internal, bottled up inside of him. Loud noises weren't a bother, he was fine with water and he was large and strong enough to protect himself if push came to shove. But despite of all that- and despite his tough-man exterior- he couldn't help but flinch a little when Drestig practically yelled out of the blue. To his credit, Askan didn't jump to his feet or yelp in surprise, but his hackles did puff up a little in alarm as he shot Drestig a warning look. Not that he was really in any position to tell the old man what to do, it was more of a sharp request really. Along the lines of 'please don't do that again.'

Once he was over the initial shock, Askan rewinded a little to see what alarmed the elder so. A name? Not one that the Yukon wolf recognised. Drestig certainly seemed too, if his look of utter shock was any clue. It seemed as though Drestig was the right man for this job, not only did he recognise her name but he knew her father in person. What were the chances of that? Askan knew that the old man had gotten around, but the chances were pretty slim. Lena truly had gotten lucky today, he doubted that the significance of this would be lost on her.

"Small world huh?" Askan murmured with an amused huff. Again, what were the chances?

(OOC, lil short as Askan's just spectatin)
[Image: kana_pixel_by_marthypie-dcn3i8m.gif]
[Image: se_sig_by_becuffin-dbuushz.png]
Inactive II. Subordinate
Lena Donata
The moment she told the male her name, Lena's muscles tensed. She was prepping to spring away from sudden gnashing jaws, ready to sprint from clicking teeth and salivating snarls. Getting a nasty beating wasn't worth it. At all. Whatever information could be given, her life wasn't going to be put on the line for it. Lena was confident, but she wasn't stupid!

He yelled her father's name, and it shook her to the core. Her eyes flashed something, her tongue ready to lash out itself; don't you DARE say anything bad about my dad ...! She couldn't help but glance to Askan, to try and see his reaction. He had puffed up, and looked like a slapped arse: irritated shocked. But, he held no hostility in his body. Surely, if her father was an enemy of the Old Man, Askan would have known about it. There was only one logical conclusion! It seemed it wasn't anger that drove his roar, that left him reeling--he laughed, even as the barked question rang still in Lena's ears. He laughed, and it seemed relieved. Excited, even! Okay. Lena much preferred that reaction.

He apologised, and she opened her mouth to respond--no big deal, you did kind of scare me though!--but he did not stop. He continued, and the words caused her to yowl in surprised delight.

"YOU KNEW MY DAD?!" She began her ritual of steppy-steps: one paw up, one down, swap, swap, swap. It was a clear indication of her elation. Ohmigosh, ohmigosh! She beamed, delighted with this incredible stroke of luck--small world indeed, Askan! "Please! Y'gotta tell me everythin' about him, where he came from, where his family is--where my family is!"
Inactive No Rank
Drestig Avalon
Story time!

He snorted at Askan's comment, though his eyes remained on her, attention unable to stray from this wonder. And she seemed equally excited, once she got over the shock of his sudden outburst, jogging on the spot while she bombarded him with questions. Now he had a couple himself, but he could appreciate that she was the one who had come all this way to learn; How far..? He wondered absently, where had Sceral ended up? But he'd answer first, then ask his own questions. "I'll tell you everything, lass, as long as you hang back long enough to tell me a little too!" He winked at the girl, chuckling lowly; oh yeah, she's Sceral's. No doubt about that!

Taking his time, Drestig lowered into a seat, closing his eyes for a moment to clear his thought. A smile still played around his muzzle, tail once again wagging, making a swishing noise as it passed through the grass. "I knew Sceral when he was just a yearling," He began, resting his gaze on the grayish girl as he spoke; "About your age I guess, when we met, I joined his mother's pack that winter…" A shadow slit over his face as the memory of just what had happened then, the snow had pushed him to ask admittance in Oak Tree Bend, but even pack wolves weren't safe from the cold. Rather than delve deeper into such thoughts though, the dark man decided to push forwards, focusing on lighter subjects: "Watched him grow up. I became quite close with him and his brother." Sceral's disappearance had hit them all hard, but especially Serach had been devastated, having already experienced more than enough loss. Drestig's eyes drifted to the ground, growing dark; "We all sought after him for a long time…"

But it was hardly Lena's fault, whatever had kept her father from returning to his pack, he couldn't blame her; And she might even have some answers. There was a melancholic smile on his face when the elder wolf looked back up, a small sigh falling from his lips; "Oak Tree Bend, that's the pack, it lies down south, in the Spectral Woods." Even speaking the name was bitter sweet, he'd been in such a hurry to get out of there, he'd left some things painfully unfinished. Another sigh; "I'd take you there myself but…" He looked around them, shrugging his shoulders in a helpless gesture; "I'm rather tied up here." Their forming pack needed proper stability before he could leave to go on visits; If she could just wait a bit… But he wouldn't ask that, instead he explained: "You have family there, your father's uncle, and his brother." The image flashing before his eyes as he finished send a stab of pain through his chest: Serach's face twisted in anger, his teeth bared as he refused to follow the older man to a new home; If only I could make that good again…

Word count: 494

"Speech" Thoughts

pride12
Played by Lightning who has 727 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Jessie Tainn
Got permission from Mimi to jump in on this.

Over the months they had been away from the bend, Jessie had done her best to get herself into a sort of routine. It was harder without her own land to protect and mark but she did what she could with what she had. The Tainn certainly would not complain. She had a family. Phoenix was getting bigger by the days and it was heartwarming to see her growing but concerning to acknowledge that they had still not established their pack grounds. She longed to be able to accomplish something new and she held no doubts that Drestig held similar thoughts. Her mate seemed more popular with their follower and Jessie couldn't help herself when Askan called out to him once more. Her small ears flicked towards the summon, curiosity brimming within her emerald gaze. The pepper and salt colored woman trusted the man, of course, but she still wanted to know what was going on. Without much hesitation, she made up her mind to see what was so important.

Without the stress of pregnancy, Jessie moved easier through the lands. It was a relief to be able to move at her former pace but she did not wish to arrive before her dark, brooding lover. She remained behind, ears pricked and straining to hear anything she might be able to pick up. As she grew closer, she began to catch on to some onto the conversation. Her eyebrows rose when he became apparent that Drestig knew who the girl's father was. But who? The petite woman remained where she was, trying to catch up on more information before she made her presence known. When her dark man spoke, a familiar pang of hurt killed her. Of course, their lives would always tie back into Oak Tree Bend someway or another. As Drestig spoke the name of her father, Jessie found herself wanting to get closer, to see the girl. Would she look like Sceral, or perhaps more like her grandmother or grandfather? From a distance, the woman heard him speak of Triell and Serach and the reminder of leaving them sent another pang of regret through her. She missed them but Jessie knew she would never give up what she had now to go back to where she was.

When she was sure that he had nothing else to say, she stepped out of hiding, her strides slow. She made her way towards Drestig to stand next to him, next to his left shoulder.  She peered at the other girl closely. She held more of Sceral's coloring but her eyes were quite different from those that she had seen in the past. The yearling certainly had not gotten that aspect of her features from her father, or his lineage, for that matter. She nodded her head in greeting, wanting to ask the most obvious question imaginable. Was Sceral still alive now? But she held her tongue. Drestig had done his part and it was time to see what the girl wanted to do about the current situation presented. In the meantime, Jessie presented a smile and nodded her head in greeting to the girl.

Jessie Tainn
[Image: jessiehotei-greysig01.jpg]
Inactive II. Subordinate
Lena Donata
Alice gave me permission to skip Askan (and PP a weeny bit).

"Of course," she chirped, trying to keep still so that she could focus on actually listening, rather than fidget excitedly all over the place. She felt like a flea, and she wanted to bounce all over Relic Lore. Instead, she followed Drestig's lead and lowered herself to a sit, though her tail still thumped the ground excitedly. It was then that he began to explain what he knew of Lena's father, and it seemed like it was going to be a nice little story.

But then the elder male mentioned that they all looked for Sceral, and her heart sunk straight into the pit of her stomach. "Oh," was all she could muster. Oh. So they did miss him ... and this whole time, her father had thought they hated him? That was so sad. That seemed like it was such an empty way of existing, telling yourself that your family loathed you. In her heart, Lena knew that when she inevitably went home, Sceral would welcome her back with open arms and a worried where have you been. Why did he think that his own brother, his uncle, would not extend him the same love?

Maybe it was because he had left it too long. Maybe Lena would have to go home soon ... she didn't want to make a mistake like that. Perhaps she'd simply visit her dad's old pack, and then return to her own birth place.

Her brow was furrowed in thought as another wolf appeared as if from nowhere, causing Lena to tilt her head. Who? She seemed friendly enough, quiet if anything. There was a smile offered to the Donata girl, and she could do nothing but smile back. Kindness meets kindness, after all.

Somewhere to the side, she felt Askan stiffen.

"So, it's down that way, right?" She pointed with her snout, lifting her gaze to peer at Drestig with a flame of hope in her eyes. "I don't ... I don't wanna bother you, or yer pack stuff. Soooo, I'll probably set off tomorrow--if yer alright with me stayin', of course! I just want ..." She paused, trying to figure out how best to approach the words she was trying to give. "I want to prove to my dad that he's not hated. That he shouldn't live hatin' himself, 'cause he thinks his brother 'nd whoever hate him."
Inactive No Rank
Drestig Avalon

Unexpectedly, the low swish of grass against fur sounded behind him, and Drestig flicked one ear back, recognizing the approacher even before she came into the corner of his vision. Not wanting to take his eyes of Lena, a simple touch of his shoulder and light dip of his muzzle was offered in greeting to Jessie as she took place beside him. She didn't speak, and he wondered how much she had overheard, but was interrupted when the young lady spoke up again, pointing over his shoulder. The graying man nodded; "A couple days journey at the least, if you go south-east until you hit the red mountains and then follow those south, you can't miss it." His eyes strayed for a moment, trailing first over his shoulder in the direction described, and then down to his paws; "Stay as long as you'd like, I really would like to walk down there with you…" His mouth felt dry, the thought of seeing them all again after the hasty departure sending mixed pangs through his heart; Perhaps it's still too early… Shaking his head lightly, he looked back up at Lena, smiling palely; "But I understand if you don't wanna wait."

This time, when Drestig's eyes drifted it was to Jessie, a question in their ember depths; What do you think? He wanted to assure the girl that Sceral was not hated, that any news of him would be only thought of as good by the wolves of the Bend. But was that true? A number of strong feelings had boiled among them when the two lovers had left, who was to say that Sceral's disappearance didn't have a paw in those as well? But in the end the Avalon could only speak for himself, so he met the girl's pale eyes earnestly, speaking in a low, quiet voice: "Sceral left us without a word, disappeared without telling why or to where. We were all very confused and I can't say he didn't hurt us… But I don't think anyone hates him, I don't. Most of us thought he was… dead." It was the truth and he figured she deserved that. He couldn't say for sure what she would find in the Bend, but hopefully this could prepare her; "Hearing that he survived, that he's out there somewhere… That's big news, to all of us."

Word count: 394

"Speech" Thoughts

pride12
Inactive II. Subordinate
Lena Donata
Wanted to get a final reply in for Lena, because I don't want to leave this thread to die. Feel free to end it with my post, or tag on your own ending. @Askan @Drestig @Jessie

She took his words to heart and nodded. South-east. Follow the red mountains--she couldn't help but grimace at the mention of mountains. Lena didn't want to tackle any huge journeys, but his mention of a weensy few days her wondering if they were small mountains ... maybe they were just hills? She hoped for the latter. Hills she could handle!

Drestig's next words hit her hard though, and they shook her. She swallowed thickly. They thought Sceral, her father, had simply upped and left? No, no! That wasn't the truth at all! She knew what happened, she knew how he met her mother, knew the story like the back of her paw. Her father fell in love, and he simply couldn't leave her. Lena knew his sadness, knew his pain. It was obvious whenever his past had been brought up by the way he stiffened, the distant smile that captured his features. Her father had not abandoned by choice, he had left by necessity. How could anyone blame him for that? But, the old man was right ... how could they know that story?

She turned away suddenly and frowned as she did. "I'll make things right fer him, with the others. I have to. I can't sit knowin' that there's hurt I can try 'nd fix ... I'll make it right. Then I'll come back, and I'll answer yer questions, mister. It's just ... my dad, I came for him. To find out 'bout my family, to go home and tell him he's missed and still loved. Thank you, fer yer words. Fer pointin' me in the right direction." And then, to Jessie; "Sorry I couldn't speak to you, miss." Lena glanced at Askan with a soft smile. "An' thank you too. I promise, I'll come back. I'll make sure yer not grumpy for a second longer!"

And then she ran, kicking up dirt in.

Exit Lena.