579 Users Online
Google

Ursa Major — Wild Rye Fields 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Alice who has 1,273 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
For @Adelayde
Backdated to the 4th. The stars are unusually bright tonight. Maybe because it's also unusually cold.. brr.

Settling himself down on the ridge of the lookout, Askan tucked his legs beneath his body for warmth. It was cold out, a lot colder than usual. Which was saying something as the past few days were nothing to sneeze at. Usually, at this time of night, Askan would be safe, snug and asleep in the communal den. And yet there he was, his head tilted skyward and his eyes watching the shimmering lights above. No, he wasn't star watching, or gazing or whatever it was called. He was just a little curious, that's all. There was nothing else to it, or so he would adamantly claim.

When the sun had first set he couldn't help but notice how bright it was and rather than being impressed, it had-of course- annoyed him. Why was it so damn light out? Didn't the stars have anything better to do than try and blind him? Well, maybe he was exaggerating a bit, getting angry over nothing. But still, he couldn't help but wonder why. And maybe, just maybe, he found solace in trying to find the answer to such an inconsequential question. If he couldn't figure it out, it wouldn't effect him or those around him in anyway. It was nice, almost.

Or at least he thought so till he heard the sound of paws crunching through the snow.

He didn't need to look to know who was there, Askan would recognise her stompy footfalls anywhere. Adelayde just didn't have enough grace or coordination to try and conceal her approach, and that was coming from Askan, who was by no means light on his feet. She was just too big for her own good, at least now maybe she would have a use for all of her bulk. Or he hoped that was the case, he supposed he would be willing to show her the ropes again if need be. He wouldn't offer though, she'd have to bite the bullet and ask.

"What'd you want?" Askan asked, with his usual-unimpressive- level of tact.

Adelayde had healed up quite considerably since the last time he'd given her a good, hard look. But her wounds were still noticeable and he imagined that they would always remain so, bitter reminders of how she'd allowed two kids to kick her ass.

(This post was last modified: Jan 09, 2017, 01:00 AM by Askan.)
[Image: kana_pixel_by_marthypie-dcn3i8m.gif]
[Image: se_sig_by_becuffin-dbuushz.png]
Played by Arya who has 292 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Adelayde Artemieva

Her mood was progressing for the better each day. It wasn't that she was forgetting what happened or blocking it out. Instead she was using the time Askan helped train her to refocus her shame and anger towards bettering herself. Adelayde kept reminding herself that if it had not been for that night, she wouldn't be trying to better her fighting skills. She wouldn't have realize how weak and unskilled she was. She had been naiive and like Askan reminded her, that's what going to kill her.

Ade was never going to be that protected queen to be anymore. She was in the real world, where there was evil in many that walked among her. She needed to learn to protect herself it was as simple as that or she would become a liability or something along those lines in Askan's eyes. 

Though she was still slightly withdrawn, her bubbly and cheerful charm was making a comeback. Ade had left the communal den a while ago, as she felt tonight would be a great night for star gazing. Without a cloud in the sky and the stars illuminating the tundra below, Ade trekked through the Rye fields that night searching for nothing in particular. She simply loved the silence of the night. Though tonight seemed to hold a colder sting as she kept herself moving towards the lookout where she could see the back of the Rye Field's male second. 

Even if she was trying to be light on her feet, her footfalls were noticeably loud as she came up alongside Askan, her breath creating a misty cloud around them. Smirking softly at his usual gruffness, she settled on her haunches besides him and gazed out across the tundra. "Dare I ask?" She glanced at him with seablue eyes as a smirk was evident upon her lips. He couldn't be doing what she thought he was doing. Though she knew it was doubtful that he would be out here star gazing, she couldn't help but tease. "Stargazing, I see? I thought that was frowned upon."
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
There is a deer that was killed by a lynx nearby. +10 Health
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Askan cast her a derisive look. He should have known she would have caught onto that right away, not that he was doing anything wrong. It seemed silly to assume that just because she caught him looking at the sky, it meant that he had to be stargazing. Well he hadn't. He didn't do those sorts of things, but Askan had a feeling that if he denied it she'd just smile and/or laugh at him. So rather than fight a hopeless battle Askan simply turned away from her and grumbled.

"Oh shut it."

He was in no mood to be teased, but that said, when was he ever? Adelayde should've considered herself fortunate that he didn't chase her off, that he didn't demand that she leave, but as things stood now her presence was tolerable and so he allowed her to stay. He had sort of gotten used to having her around, and despite the fact she had her ass kicked by two bratty children, she still contributed to the pack's work load. She didn't hide in the shadows and try and bury her shame, she actually pulled her weight and did her best to integrate herself into their little rag-tag family. If she had kept to the sidelines and made no efforts to make herself useful, than Askan wouldn't have given her the time of day. But Adelayde had gotten back onto her feet and clearly was feeling more like her old self.

"What you doing up anyway? Go back to the den, you'll get cold." He ordered her, though really he knew it was rather pointless. She hardly ever listened to him anyways.

She had already settled down, so he had a feeling she wouldn't be doing anywhere any time soon. Damn it. As long as she wasn't a lazy bum tomorrow he supposed it didn't really matter in the end. He couldn't deal with another Icicle lounging about taking up room and eating all of their food. Then again it wasn't really his choice whether he stayed or was kicked out. Blah, Askan sighed and itched at his snout with his front paw. There was no use thinking about that now, not when it was so pretty out. Not that he'd noticed, or anything like that.

"Had any trouble with any Whitestone wolves lately?" He asked after a moment or so of silence. He'd been restricted to the pack lands, so obviously he hadn't been up to no good, but it seemed pertinent to check.

Inactive No Rank
Adelayde Artemieva
she says beauty is pain

“Oh shut it.” Askan grumbled back, her mismatched eyes crinkling with amusement as she gave out a soft chuckle as she followed his gaze out towards the frozen fields. The Rye second was excited for spring to see the rye regrow and fill their gazes with gold all around them. Winter was tiresome and gloomy with the dreary dark colors and plaster white surrounding them, she yearned for some color. However, winter didn't seem to be letting up on its fierce hold on the Lore.

“You should know by now I'm up rather late to bed most days,” she stated her eyes giving away her mischief before the words left her mouth. “ You can call me the resident night owl if you'd prefer.” She mused, her eyes crinkling in the corners again as a smirk overtook her ebony lips. Though she tried to make sure she went to sleep at a reasonable time to get herself up at a decent hour, she sometimes lost track of time. Before she knew it most times, the moon was high in the sky before she returned to the communal den for the night. However, it never stopped her from rising with the sun every morning, though, she was more likely to take a quick nap during the afternoon hours.

Mention of their northern neighbors broke their short silence, an ear twitching towards him at the sound of their name. Shaking her head, ”No, no sign of them, thankfully.” A few weeks ago, she strictly stayed in the southern parts of the Rye territory, but with Askan's assistance she no longer feared traveling north. Yes, she was weary of them, but she couldn't be fearful in her own home. This was their land and she will be damned if they succeeded in making her think she wasn't safe here. Though, she had to remember why she fled to Relic Lore in the first place, so was she really safe anywhere?

A wave of guilt fell over her at the thought of the secret she continued to withhold from her Rye family. Shouldn't she come true with them now? Did it really matter though? Ade wasn't a changed wolf because of her surname. She was the same loyal and dedicated wolf as she was before. Shouldn't they know there may be someone out there looking for her head, however? Shaking away her troubled thoughts, she turned to the dark wolf, “Did you enjoy living in the Yukon?”

and there's beauty in everything
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Askan supposed it had been a rather pointless question, she was the field's resident star gazer after all. And she'd damn well earned that title, he didn't know anyone else who spent as much time staring up at the sky as she did. That said he wasn't on friendly terms with all that many people, but that was aside the point. As for giving her the satisfaction of calling her by that-frankly ridiculous nickname- Askan merely huffed and rolled his eyes. Making his unsaid 'no, I'd rather not' quite obvious.

The Selwyn was glad that she hadn't run into their unsavoury northern neighbours again, then again if she had he was sure he would have heard about it by now. He remembered the right kerfuffle that was her throwing a tantrum because she'd gotten hurt. She was over it now, but that didn't mean she deserved to go through it again. Not that he thought she would, she was better now, stronger and it was all thanks to his time and teachings. Wasn't Askan a saint in disguise?  He supposed he had to give Adelayde some credit, she had worked rather hard and all... She wasn't the worst student, that was the best he could say at that point.

"Good. I'll beat their asses if they try and come close." He grumbled, looking out accusingly at the tundra in the distance as though he expected them to arrive at any minute.

Ignorant to the trouble and strife Adelayde was struggling with, Askan enjoyed the silence and looked up at the stars once more. It was like when he stepped out of the den on a bright day and when he closed his eyes against the light, all he saw was little white dots on the back of his eyelids. The stars looked like that, but there were tens and hundreds more of them, shining up high and out of reach. Wasn't so bad, he supposed. Nice to look at for a while, at the very least.

"Huh?" Her question caught him off guard and he squinted in confusion as he looked back down at her."I mean... It wasn't bad. Was about the same as here, more or less. Just with mountains in the background. Or do you mean with my family?" If that was the case, it wasn't really something he wanted to talk about.

Inactive No Rank
Adelayde Artemieva
she says beauty is pain

Though she didn't expect any type of response from the burly second about her new nickname, she still couldn't hep but smirk at the sight of his rolling eyes and huffed exhale. It had become the norm for Adelayde to hear his gruff responses of blatant "i-dont-care" attitude at such trivial matters. Askan was a serious man, business like and no nonsense kind of man. Though, she knew there was more to him that he was hiding from everyone, or maybe just her, she couldn't really know for sure. Ade couldn't expect anyone to put full trust in her and open up completely, unless she did first. Wasn't that how friendships work? A little give here and a little give there until you're certain you know the other like the back of your hand.

Smirking once again at his grumbled about their friendly neighbors to the north, "I would never doubt that. And hey maybe next time, I won't get my ass kicked." She retorted, as she glanced at him with a toothy grin before following his gaze back up to the stars.

It was funny to think how sheltered she had been raised to be and how she only finally come to realize it. She had cursed the Elders time and time again under the stars since the attack. The Snow woman realizing they tried to turn her into a fool, a brainwashed fool to do their bidding. Coming to grasp that they were truly unsuccessful because she had escaped their prison and found her true home. She was her own being, not a brainwashed fool.

With Askan's response, her attention turned back to him, away from her troubling thoughts. She could imagine the Yukon if it was anything like the Lowland's eastern lands with the Mountain of Dire looming in the horizon. It sounded beautiful as the lowlands they both lived in now. Though, she had meant for him to talk about his family as his question surfaced. Clearing her throat, "Yeah, with your family. What were they like?" A little give there.

and there's beauty in everything
(This post was last modified: Feb 26, 2017, 12:37 AM by Adelayde.)
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

"Maybe." Askan agreed, his tone gruff.

Sure, she was better at defending herself, she was no longer a feeble waif, but if they outnumbered her, or any Rye wolf for the matter, they'd be screwed no matter how much they trained. So even if Adelayde became the physical embodiment of strength Askan still wouldn't want her roaming the Lowlands, especially the northern regions. Just in case. The same went for everyone though, he needed the others to be safe. How could their pack function if they spent all of their time being hyper vigilant trying to ensure that no one got eaten by their unfriendly neighbour? It was impossible, a gigantic task. One that Askan had no intentions of baring its weight. So for now, he intended to ensure that everyone did as they were told by their alpha. No going north.

It was as he feared, she wanted to know about his family. What was he supposed to say? The thought of them left a foul taste in his mouth and made his heart tighten in his chest, as though a great weight was pressing down on it, forcing the blood out of it. He averted his gaze to the sky and frowned, a potent, troubled look. This was not a favourite topic of his, not in the least, but would it hurt to talk a little? At least then if he did Adelayde might get off his case, and stop looking at him with those bright, star-lit eyes.

"Well... We were close nit. The clan consisted mostly of Selwyn borns, but we accepted other wolves if they were deemed worthy. I lived with my Father, Mother, siblings and uncles, as well as a few relatives and the others. The men in my family tend to be rather..." He paused, struggling to find a word. "Headstrong. The women however are all fairly laid back, talk too much and find almost everything funny. Even when its not. The family motto is 'Patience yields focus.' Is there anything else you want to know?"

Inactive No Rank
Adelayde Artemieva
she says beauty is pain

Baby steps. Patient baby steps seemed to be what seemed successful in getting to know Askan, to get him to open up to her. If she dove right in a pressured to know everything, he surely would retreat and throw his guarded wall back up. Baby steps. As he averted his gaze from her and onto the stars, she followed him as to retract the pressure he seemed to think he was under. It was touch and go with him, she had to play her cards right and choose her words delicately. For now, he was beginning to open up as he began to talk of his family, his face troubled and distressed.

She could have guessed his male relatives would be headstrong as he seemed to be the epitome of his male line. But she could see why he seemed to be troubled as he spoke of his family. Perhaps they were too headstrong with Askan and hurt him in some way? His family motto was fairly peculiar and interesting, as she wasn't even sure if her family had a motto. Though she thought to ask him why he choose to leave his family, she decided to leave that be for a moment. Pushing him too much would probably make him retreat and close himself off to her again.

A little give here. Ignoring his question for now, she gazed out across the horizon, her face contemplating her next words. "I never had any siblings. Well that I knew of, I guess. I had my mother and father, my uncles, a few others and the Elders. Everything was like any other place, I suppose. Peaceful, happy, until one day..." She paused for moment, her face solemn for moment as troubling memories surfaced. "I had my parents until my father and uncle passed within mere days of each other. I lost my mother after that. She was there with me physically, but I lost her mentally. Someone had something to do with it, I could feel it, but I never said anything. My mother and I were the last of our line that still lived within the pack and when my mother passed" --murdered was the true definition of what happened, though Adelayde couldn't quite speak those words. "I couldn't stay any longer."

(This post was last modified: Feb 26, 2017, 06:19 PM by Adelayde.)
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Askan didn't ask for her backstory, but it seemed as though he was gonna get it whether he wanted to or not. Listening to her speak wasn't the the worst thing on the planet, if he thought that way he would have left as soon as she arrived. But no, he tolerated her presence then and he listened to her words now.

She seemed troubled, the light in her eyes faded some and her voice became that much more hushed and subdued. Askan tilted his head at that a little as he watched her, curious as to what was going on behind those mismatched eyes. Usually, he would bitterly scoff 'nothing', but now wasn't the time for cruel jokes. So that said, what was it time for? The Selwyn had no idea what he was supposed to do, she sounded sad, wistful even. And as she continued it became clear why she felt that way, her life sounded all rather lonely. Their pasts were on the opposite ends of a spectrum, Askan didn't enough space, he felt crushed. And Adelayde had no one, she felt isolated, alone.Funny that such wolves would find each other in the big wide world. Except it wasn't funny, neither of them were laughing.

"That sounds pretty...Bad. Do you feel better now?"

It was all pretty lame, but it was all he could do, all he could say to try and make her feel better. Imagine that, Askan trying to- half-heartedly-cheer up Adelayde. How things had changed, not so long ago is was her doing the cheering up, now he was trying to do the same. Though not really doing such a good job of it But hey, the fact he made an effort at all meant something, right? He if he didn't care, even if it were only a little, he wouldn't have asked, he would have just grunted and left it at that.