(See All?) Announcements
554 Users Online
Google, Bing

anything less than 'I love you' is lying — Cedarwood Forest 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Grey who has 444 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Rook Lyall
For @Veho and all the things - truth, information, verification, confirmations, declarations - he needs to wrangle out of Rook~ Also attempting to (re)discover this place from an old thread that didn't particularly finish properly to be eligible. Base text courtesy of Ace: Within the Cedarwood there is a misty, rocky outcropping, where the air is cool and the condensation settles.  The most stubborn of cedar trees continue to poke up through the stony earth even here, only adding to the ethereal feel of the strange area.

Rook Lyall

January 23rd; Early afternoon; Freezing fog; -7 ° F, -22 ° C

The fog clung to Rook's coat in a sparse scattering of water drops over his wiry coat. Everywhere he walked, the droplets grew then fell from him into the blanket of snow that had just accumulated from last week's storm. The cold bit at his nose, face and, every so often, the insides of his cheeks whenever he had to urge to let loose a tongue-curling yawn. Ever since that morning he had been on the hunt. Through the cedarwood, he stalked the spaces between the trees in search of a decent place to make a den. Yes, they would always have the medicinal den (where the herbs were cached for future use), but if and when Veho would have a patient, it made no sense for the two of them to share that with another. He had done this for Quil a very long time ago and had had his future sister-in-law nearly crash his hopes for such a union. Though, this time, Rook had every intention to make this spot just as special as the others if not even more so. This was going to be for them and no one was going to spoil it.

Somewhere along Jasper Rocks, he trailed the river before heading straight back into the territory, measuring the steps as he went and minding just how much time it had taken for him to get to and from the pack den, the medical den, to certain spots. Eventually, he shook his head and retreated back to the wilderness beyond the pack lands, letting his legs take him to wherever seemed like a good idea. The trees began to rise up a little taller, their presence unsettling from where they sprung up through what seemed like solid stone in the shadow of the bluff. In a small clearing, he stopped beside an outcrop of rock, the mist concealing and revealing it as the wind hustled the fog along to the north.

A den here wouldn't do with it being so far from Jasper Rocks and the heart of Grizzly Hollow in general, but something had drawn Rook to this very spot. A part of him might have reasoned that it was because this was the very last place he had seen his partner. Another part figured that there was something special about it, even if Rook didn't want to believe it. Staring at the lines in the rock, he idly lifted a paw to feel the cracks against his pads, reminded sorely of the own lines on his muzzle and the shame they represented. Perhaps he was meant to repent here, but to who exactly, he couldn't be quite sure.

Played by Ace who has 462 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Veho Macieo
Rare was it that Veho left the boundaries of Grizzly Hollow any more, even to traverse the forest that surrounded it.  Things had changed some, with the disappearance of some and the return of others, but perhaps it was the growth of his offspring from wee babes to small little wolves that allowed him a spot of free time.  The nagging voice in the back of his mind insisted he should spend it with those children, or perhaps try to reconcile with either Oula or Rook – or both – but the ache in his heart asked only for peace and quiet, and perhaps a conversation with the Ancestors.

Carrying a small, folded leaf and an even smaller parcel of dried mushroom, the medicine man struck out from his medical cache to find a spot of peace somewhere amongst the cedar trees.  That he ended up in a ghostly shroud of mist amongst the rocky outcropping seemed natural, somehow, and Veho was content to settle himself there, dropping his small package gingerly atop the earth.  Even still, he was not convinced now was the proper time to use his stores – what a waste it would be, if a true emergency arouse later, for now he was just feeling sorry for himself.

It felt selfish, anyways.

So Veho sighed and inhaled deeply, realizing then he was not alone.  His head tipped, pale eyes searching the misty air.  “Rook,” he murmured quietly.  “I did not know you were out here.” 
[Image: vehopix_by_euphoriclies-d98a201.png]
Inactive No Rank
Rook Lyall

Rook Lyall

He dragged his paw down the ragged surface of the scarred stone sentinel, giving a crooked smile. Part of him imagined that it might feel just as he did: marred, frigid, and maybe a bit older than he really felt. All four feet on the ground once more he took a step to one side, staring into the fog and seeing nothing but the haze. A sigh also escaped his maw, lifting from him in a cloud of condensation that seemed to add to the mist. The silence enveloped him; his ears came up a little taller than before and it hadn't occurred to him that the place seemed unearthly until he got that tingle along his spine and that uneasy prickle that inched up from his neck to his the base of his skull--

"Rook," his name called out to him from the fog. The Lyall turned to see the gray curtain reveal the figure of the one his heart had been yearning for. Lips parted from surprise, the soft smile came easy, even if the wag in his tail seemed hesitant. "Veho," he whispered. Automatically, his head ducked down, managing only a nod at first before he moved forward to touch the bridge of his snout to the Leader's jaw and throat. A customary greeting complete with a lap of his tongue to the ivory fur that made up Veho's chin. Now, his tail began to wave freely, no more half-stops or shaky arcs.

Once he had pulled away from the Macieo, he peeked up into those pale eyes, blinking a number of times before setting his gaze elsewhere along the older male's shoulder, side, and flank. "I was just," he started, whiskered brows raised in worry for what his partner might have thought of his little field trip beyond Grizzly Hollow borders, "I was looking for something and I just happened to come back here." His simper had become coy, his trademark of sorts. This was the sort of expression that the yearling Rook often wore when he was 'cornered' and had some things to say in order to explain himself.

The whiff of earth carried by the harvested mushroom tugged at Rook's noise, suggesting to him that Veho had been out foraging for things to bring back home. The younger male asked anyway, "What brings you here?" Surely, it couldn't have been me.

Chances are I have a BEN WHISHAW gif for that.
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
Shallow water has trapped several fish in a small pond. Hunt Opportunity
Inactive No Rank
Veho Macieo

“Ah.”

Veho could only wish his answer were so simple.  Carefree, perhaps.  No, that was not right – in all the time he’d known the other man, he’d not known his mate to be a particularly carefree wolf, if occasionally careless – but this did seem a little more light-hearted than was usual for Rook.  Or, usual for Rook before he’d left for Renegade’s Reach once (twice).  These days, he sometimes wondered how well he actually knew the man anymore, but then, what was the point of pondering?  The Lyall was actually staying this time, or least it seemed so, so the thing to do was actually do and not just sit here in thought.

The alpha gave himself a small shake, blinking himself free from the endless cycle, and eventually his gaze did find Rook.  At the question, he glanced back downwards at his makeshift rucksack, and he sighed.  “I had thought that I might try to speak with the Ancestors.  Seek advice, but I--  Was also a bit worried about using the stores for something that was not strictly an emergency.  But perhaps they set my paws in this particular direction, no?  I think I might save these mushrooms for another day.”

Veho gave a small, tired smile, peeking back over at his partner.  “Did you find what you were looking for?”

Inactive No Rank
Rook Lyall

Rook Lyall

So, he had been scavenging about, looking for mushrooms that could be stored away for another day. Rook nodded, and upon being asked if he had found what he was looking for, the Lyall gave a smile. "Not particularly, but I'd hoped I would run into you at some point today." His mind went back to where thought he might have found that decent little spot in the cedars, then returned to Veho. He let a pregnant pause overcome them, but not for a beat too long.

"I was actually wondering," his voice was still quiet, but the words were laced with inquisitive notes, "if you would like to have a den with me. Have an actual place for just the both of us." Here, his tail gave a hopeful wag, but as he peered into his partner's face, there seemed to be something unspoken. He supposed it had been the way he had mentioned that the mushrooms would be better if they were saved for another day. Yes, it wasn't unusual for to partake in the consumption of the spongy fungi, but Rook knew by now that he only did it if he needed advice (or wished to speak with his elders, but the former seemed to be the case if Rook was going to assume).

He sat, his eyes darting over those monochrome features - those whiskered brows and stark black nose, that ivory muzzle, that broad tan bridge and the gentle gray slope that made up Veho's forehead - all of which he had missed in the time he had been gone. His eyes flit upward to meet the Leader's gaze, if only for a moment as he slowly sat down, "What's wrong?"

(This post was last modified: Feb 09, 2017, 06:29 AM by Rook.)

Inactive No Rank
Veho Macieo

Veho hummed softly at the other male’s first admission, only strengthening his theory that perhaps his Ancestors had guided his paws.  While he had struck out from the pack territory with only fresh air and silence on his mind, his feet had carried him here, specifically, with no true direction from himself.  Even if he hadn’t spoken to the spirits of wolves past recently, it seemed they were still watching out for him even now.

His relief, however, was rather short-lived.

After Rook’s idle thought came a question with far more implications, and for a moment, the alpha found himself at a loss for words.  Eyebrows shot up so quickly they threatened to just keep going, to fly right off his forehead in the very surprise.  To den together would mean that the Lyall intended to stay this time, that he intended to make Veho his primary partner – and all this could mean very well, but the leader was kind-hearted, not naïve.  Rook had made him promises before.

“Nothing is wrong, exactly – I am only tired.  I seek the advice of those who walked before me.  It is difficult, sometimes, to find your path.”  When the world around you is so dark, so uncertain, you will look anywhere to seek the light.  “Leadership is difficult, I suppose.  Everyone would do it if that were not true.  And yet…”  Veho trailed off with a small shrug and shake of his head. “I am tired.  Never have I felt so unsure of my own self.”

Inactive No Rank
Rook Lyall
And there's no guarantee
That this will be easy
It's not a miracle ya need, believe me
Yeah, I'm no angel, I'm just me
But I will love you endlessly

-- The Cab, "Endlessly"

Rook Lyall

"Nothing is wrong, exactly – I am only tired," Veho said at first. Rook's ears drew downward upon hearing that it seemed that his partner was having a difficult time, mostly with the responsibility of being a Leader. The Macieo shrugged and shook his head. Rook leaned forward, eyes intently focused on those gray shoulders and those black-lined lips as he listened. He bit back the whine that kept building up in his throat.

"I am tired," he repeated, "Never have I felt so unsure of my own self."

The Lyall's eyes grew glossy. This had to be his doing. It had to be. His jaw quivered and he swallowed before moving to sit beside Veho's ashen figure. For the briefest moments, their shoulders touched, then Rook found that spot at the Leader's neck to nestle his face into. If Veho moved, Rook felt deep down that he couldn't have blamed him, but the sentiment was genuine on his part. He had missed this... this closeness... having Veho's own musk intermingled with his on his pelt.

He withdrew to peer into those colorless eyes. "Allow me to help shoulder your burden," he pleaded. He had done this before. They had done this before, seasons ago. If Borden and Jaysyek had communicated in apologies, then Rook and Veho's dance was one in which they went back and forth with one another. Rook, for the most part, constantly sharing his burden while attempting to pull it all back on his own two shoulders.

The thought of the den flit back to the forefront of his mind, but it was no longer appropriate on the tangent they had gone down. To bring it up, here and now, would sound selfish and was, perhaps, dangerous at this point. However, what Rook so wanted to provide was a safe place and environment for Veho to feel vulnerable. A small pep talk in his head about this made him consider asking about it again sometime later. For now, he needed to nurture what glowing embers was left of the bond they had before.

"I would relieve you of this uncertainty and... and doubt," there was zeal and eagerness in his hushed tone now. "If you will let me." Everything on Rook's facial expression begged Veho to listen to him. "Veho." This was it, Rook thought to himself. This was probably his last chance at holding Veho Macieo this close to him ever again. It could have been too dramatic, too extreme, but Rook was simply foolish. Not stupid. He had known right from the start that they were not in a good place in their relationship and he wanted to take every chance to make it all right.

"I love you," he professed, more adamantly than ever before. "I loved you then, I loved you even while I was away, I love you now. Still. Tell me what I can do to help you."

Inactive No Rank
Veho Macieo

“Allow me to help shoulder your burden.”

It had been--  How long had it been since he’d taken leadership from the youngest Lyall?  Long enough, certainly, several seasons.  More than long for the children to be almost a year old, long enough that he made that decision as the leader.  But who else had offered him this?  A shoulder to lean on when times were hard, an ear to listen to his troubles when he simply needed to free his soul from the troubles.  Veho’s whole body shook with a small shudder and he inched closer to his mate, content to take up on that simple, single, sweet offer.  The wolf curled (perhaps a bit awkwardly) as he tried to hold Rook close.  An embrace would have been enough, surely, but—

“This is good,” he finally answered, voice a bit hoarse as emotion welled up from deep in his chest.  So often, the Macieo was the rock.  Allowed others to come to him with their problems, and did his best to offer solutions.  Even when he could not, he would be stable, would not allow his emotions to rule him.  Why had they appeared now?  It hurt, it ached, and Veho could only shudder again, closing his eyes as he pressed his face deep into Rook’s thick winter coat. “You--  You mentioned somewhere to hide?”

casually uses ALL the roho tables
Inactive No Rank
Rook Lyall
Slowly peels open conversation so that Veho can start getting some answers...

Rook Lyall

It seemed that it had been enough. Like the tides that made the oceans come and go in the coves, Rook, too, felt that push and pull, a sense of inhaling hope and exhaling relief. He saw the shudder that made Veho's fur shiver and shake but he only sought his partner's face, what assurances he might find there. The Leader nestled into him and Rook lightly leaned against him in turn. Everything was going to be all right, he told himself. Everything was going to be okay, not just because he was home, but because he had Veho. Here. With him.

Had Rook been taller, he might have pressed a kiss or two into that monochrome crown. As it was, he bumped his nose to Veho's before righting his head again. “You--" Veho had caught Rook's attention again, hanging onto his every word. "You mentioned somewhere to hide?” His little simper returned. He regarded the fog around them, revealing and covering the silhouettes that were the stone outcrops all around them. Perhaps this place was not as sheltered or as intimate as he had initially thought. Where the haze had once been secretive, offering its cover, its presence had become chilling and unsettling. He would take Veho away from here. He was sure of it.

"Yes," he whispered as though he felt they were being eavesdropped upon. "Back in the Cedarwood towards our part of the forest. I think I've found us a place." He slowly stood up, still looking to his partner and hoping he would do the same. "It's near a fairly young cedar and the clearing it's in is definitely more welcoming than this." He looked to the scarred pillars where they were unearthed beside the rickety evergreens that shared the stony grounds. Yes; this place and den he would make would be a place that was reminiscent of Veho and that fateful summer they met by the river. No jagged scars in the stones, no frost-covered boulders... just hardy trees that were forever green and a space that was forever sheltered beneath the prickly fir boughs.

"Come," he affectionately nudged Veho's chin with the bridge of his nose. "Let's leave this place. I will take you somewhere safe. Then we can talk."