(See All?) Announcements
546 Users Online
Google, Bing, Adora

we know we are the aching lands. — Larkcall Lowlands 
Print · · Subscribe · 3 Loves ·
Played by Alice who has 1,273 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

It seemed as though Reyes was the same, his words weren't meaningless or empty. It was a relief, almost, to know that at the very least he could rely on him to speak the truth, even if it wasn't something Askan wanted to hear. Even now, he had to admit that he was surprised the loner's next set of words. He thought they'd already covered this, that it was ancient history, but for some reason Reyes felt the need to bring it up again. And in fact was willing to admit that Askan had been in the right and he in the wrong. Whilst it was possible that Reyes had been worried about this Cotton, even he had to admit that he'd been a moody shit that day. The Selwyn, as stubborn as he was, was fully aware of who he was and how he acted around others. He didn't want to admit it aloud, but he knew that it was his fault that the loner had gotten hurt. Reyes had nothing to apologise for.

Rather than argue, or call him out, Askan merely agreed. It was the least he could do.

"Yeah I know. I'd do the same."

And yes, he was sure. He wouldn't have offered otherwise. But again, Reyes was just being polite. Not quite like the Reyes he knew, but the change wasn't entirely unwelcome. That wasn't to say he disliked him as he'd been before but... He glanced down at the shredded little beast, whose blood had stained the snow red. Did Percy look like the little rabbit? Was she broken and bleeding out on the snow? All alone with no one to- Askan shook his head and blinked quickly, chasing away his obvious discomfort as fast as he could manage.

"I'm sure." He said, his voice calm and level to reassure Reyes that this was what he wanted. "And no, this isn't it. We're too far west." Without needing to think about it, Askan turned and stared off into the distance as though it were possible to the field from where they stood. "It's this way, south-east from where we are."

Askan paused for a long moment once he'd turned back to look at Reyes again. The shimmering lights of the sky were reflected in his eyes and the Yukon wolf couldn't help but note that they were pretty. Everything about the loner was pleasing to his eyes. Anyone who wasn't blind would notice that, he was merely thinking the obvious.

"You know the river where we met? If you follow it east there will be a junction. Follow the north-west branch till it splits up again. Follow the creek north and you'll find our southern borders in the forest.You'll find me there."

[Image: kana_pixel_by_marthypie-dcn3i8m.gif]
[Image: se_sig_by_becuffin-dbuushz.png]
Played by Ace who has 510 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Reyes

At least it was settled. Finally settled. (Settled in Reyes’ mind, at least, for he had little idea the pack wolf was far less troubled by his actions than he himself was.)

Which left the matter of the rabbit. For a moment, the loner simply studied Askan, face impassive as he gave him a once over. The man was well built, and he’d assumed that meant he needed a lot to eat. In fact, Reyes had been a bit worried it’d be more like a snack, and here he was, staring at the half-eaten carcass of the snowshoe hare. After a moment, he shrugged to himself and leaned down to dig in, helping himself to whatever was left of the tender meat.

Once he was finished, Reyes lifted his hand, tongue running over his messy lips. With a slurp, he raised his brow, glancing over at his companion as the man described how to find his home. That’d have been useful as he marched his ass out here. Ah well. At least he knew now. Ears pricking forward, he regarded Askan with a curious look. “That an invitation to come visit? Or that a ‘fuck off Reyes, I’m busy right now’? Because I like the first one better but I ain’t lookin’ for another case of miscommunication, comprende?”

Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Askan couldn't help but huff a little. Not in contempt or annoyance, but in amusement. Or at least as much as he could manage, given the current situation.

"I wouldn't have told you if you weren't welcome." He stated, as though it were obvious. Which to him it was. "If I didn't like you I would have sent you packing. You and me, we're okay I think."

And coming from Askan, that truly meant a lot. The word okay carried a lot of weight with the Selwyn. Not a lot of things in his life were okay, but Reyes most certainly was. Maybe he was even better than okay, maybe he was good. It wasn't quite the best time to think about such things, not when he had such a heavy burden upon his shoulders. But still, he had to admit having him near, it helped. His presence wasn't something the Selwyn could ever see himself not wanting. Sure, it was clear they didn't get along all the time, but wasn't that the case for most people? He'd even had a few falling outs with Percy, that's just how things worked.

The loner was a wonderful distraction, but he couldn't help but feel as though he should feel guilty for not feeling so troubled. A part of him knew he deserved this despair and yet the other wanted nothing more than to latch onto Reyes, as he was the one who was keeping it at bay, stopping it from tearing the Yukon to shreds. But once again, the cruel little voice in the back of his mind told him that he was unworthy, that if he had any sense he'd push Reyes away. He'd tear into him just like he had last time.

The taste of the rabbit's blood was fresh on his tongue as Askan observed his companion. He could do it again. He was strong enough, his teeth sharp enough, his muscles tense and ready.

But no, Askan sighed. He wouldn't, he couldn't. Despite his reputation as a brute, he wasn't one. Not really, not deep down.

"I've never seen the lights so bright before." He murmured, his voice soft-as he could manage- as he laid down, his belly pressed to the snow. "Have you?"

Inactive No Rank
Reyes

“You might have tried, yeah.” And, yes, Askan definitely threw him on the ground in a matter of seconds during their last encounter, but the loner liked to think he learned from his mistakes. He wouldn’t use the same tactics, wouldn’t make the same movements – honestly, he was looking forward to another scuffle with the tank, but now was not the time. Maybe once Percy was found – or the pack wolf had less on his mind. Scuffles usually cleared the loner’s mind, but it wasn’t the same for everybody, if the last scrap was any indication. To be fair, neither of his sisters had appreciated that particular method of stress relief. At least, he supposed, Askan wasn’t a whiffler – the guy was hard to read, but once you actually got a glimpse between the lines, it wasn’t liable to change out from underneath you.

Content to settle next to the other wolf, Reyes tucked his legs beneath him and nested down into the snow. Sure, it wasn’t particularly comfortable, but at least the night was calm. No snow and no wind made the lowlands a lot more tolerable. He couldn’t stay here forever, but a short cuddle session underneath the lights seemed acceptable. The loner had come to make peace, and just because his plan wouldn’t pan out didn’t mean he should deny Askan his.

“Naw. There were no lights were I grew up. Way south of here. I dunno if it’s a cold thing, or a a north thing, or what, but. Only ever seen ‘em once, and nothing like this.” Reyes couldn’t help his small smile as he settled, neck craned to watch the lights move across the sky. “Suppose the north ain’t that bad. For a cold ass wasteland, anyways. Wonder what they are, though. Those lights.”

Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Leaning against Reyes' side, Askan did his best not think and instead listened. For all the complaining he did, it was obvious that the loner wasn't from the north, that he'd come from somewhere with a warmer climate. So when Reyes spoke, it merely reiterated what the Rye wolf had already assumed. It was nice though, to hear him speak, to have a conversation that didn't consist of curses or insults. It felt natural even, easy, like it was what Askan was supposed to have been doing all along. Maybe he just needed to find the right person to do it with.

Or maybe he was so broken that he was merely craving company, that he was just so desperate not to be alone.

"It's not so bad here." Askan murmured, the light of the sky making his eyes shine. "Feels like home, or what it should be anyway." He sighed and shuffled further into Reyes' side, stealing his warmth. "Not sure what they are though, but they're nice enough, I guess."

He was sure that if he asked @Adelayde she'd give him some nonsense story about how they were magical in some way, or that they were spirits of the lost souls of whatever. She wasn't bad, he didn't regret recruiting her into the pack. These days they'd probably need more wolves like her, ones who were willing to help out, who were loyal beyond measure. But what of Reyes? Where did he fit into Askan's life? It didn't matter now, not when it seemed as though his world was tearing at the seams. Really, he was just glad he was so warm.

"It doesn't feel that cold now."

It was obvious why and whilst he would never admit to it aloud, even Askan to admit that this was getting dangerously close to cuddling. In fact, he wouldn't even mind if they crossed that line, he was just so exhausted. Not physically, but mentally. He just needed a rest, some time to deal with all of the shitty feelings that clawed away at his insides. And Reyes...His presences helped with that, more than he could say.

(This post was last modified: Feb 10, 2017, 05:16 PM by Askan.)
Inactive No Rank
Reyes

“I guess. Still not sold on the snow bullshit, though,” Reyes replied easily enough. His comment was conversation, not looking for an argument as he was simply expressing his dislike of the fluffy white stuff. It was pretty enough when it fell, but only a nightmare after that. Maybe sometime he’d tell Askan about the snowy grave he’d fallen into…but not tonight. Things were going well, and the loner saw no need to bait the other wolf with intriguing information. So instead he shifted slightly, allowing his frame to wrap around Askan’s and share the mutual warmth between them.

Eventually, his neck began to ache, and the loner dropped his neck, resting his chin gingerly across Askan’s shoulder. To say he was relaxed would be an overstatement – no matter the reassurances, it was hard to forget how lightning quick the other man could be. Were he to suddenly take offense (as he did before, when he was in danger of freezing to death, no less), Reyes did not want to be caught off his guard (for a second time). He hummed softly, and regarded the other man with one tipped ear. “Home is what you make it. Just a word, anyways.”

And that was easy enough to say when you had no home, when the place you grew up was only the place your mother raised you. He had no reason to return, his family had never been anything but wanderers. What had his ancestors done before Maribel? She never said. Maybe they’d always been vagabonds, the Reyes’. “S’good though. Not everyone can make one for themselves.”

Himself included.

Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Askan huffed in amusement. It didn't sound as though the loner was ever going to change his mind on this topic. For some reason or another he truly just didn't like snow and as he sat there, Askan could could see why he felt that way. It was pretty, but when it got real deep travelling was a real chore. And seeing as his legs were rather short, at times it was rather difficult for him to get about. But that never stopped the Yukon from trying, snow was just a part of live, it snowed back home and it snowed here. He just had to deal with it. To Reyes though, it seemed like a bitter pill to swallow and Askan almost found himself asking why he just didn't go back home. But it wasn't as though he wanted him to, and asking a question like that would certainly leave the wrong impression.

Reyes had a point, but his words were heavy and he couldn't help but turn a little to try and catch a glimpse of his face. He didn't want to move too much, lest he disturb Reyes too much, who was clearly comfortable. That said, Askan was too. He felt warm and secure in their little wolf doughnut, so much so that he didn't have any intentions of moving any time soon. It seemed only fair that Reyes lean on him when the Selwyn was doing the same. He didn't mind too much anyway, despite him getting pissy a lot of the time he didn't mind huddling for warmth. It was a necessity on cold nights in the den if everyone wanted to sleep soundly. So that meant that on occasion, Askan allowed @Adelayde to huddle behind him, much to Percy's annoyance.

"What about you?" Askan asked, without really meaning to. The question just sort of slipped out. "You don't have a home? That's not fair."

Call the Yukon ignorant, but in his eyes it wasn't. Was it because the packs he'd approached did not want him? Didn't think he was worth their time? Well that was bullshit. If wolves like Lorcan and that small white bitch could get into a pack, then surely Reyes could. Or perhaps he'd simply never even tried or wanted to enter one. A pack didn't necessarily equate having a home, Askan was just lucky wasn't he? That everything had worked out so well. That everything had fallen into place.So really, it was only fair that things were going bad. He hadn't earned the right to be happy, Askan had to suffer first.

Inactive No Rank
Reyes

The wolf donut was a good idea. Reyes wasn’t sure if he could take credit for this one, but it seemed the pack wolf settled against him was a lot more prone to cuddling if he didn’t actually call it a cuddle fest ahead of time. Stupid, but whatever, he’d take what he could get. After all, Askan hadn’t kicked him off his back yet, and the loner was going to count that as a win.

With a pleased huff, he buried his face a little further into the dark ruff. This close, he realized how nice the other wolf actually smelled, like warm stones and pine, and grass, and everything good. Reyes’ ears relaxed, his whiskers splayed out as he peered up at the sky, content to just lay in the snow.

“Life ain’t fair, chaco. My mama… We never had a pack. Raised my sisters on the move. Wherever the eatin’ was good, that’s where we were. ‘til they were old enough to disperse.” And disperse the twins did, eager to see the world. Reyes couldn’t blame them. He did the same thing. Came back to check on Mama once or twice, and then we went a little too far north, and the rest was history. “Never found a place worth staying. Not before.”

Soy demasiado profunda.

Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Askan hummed in content as he allowed his eyes to drift shut. Despite the cold snow beneath his stomach, it almost felt as though he were back home in the oak tree den, that he was surrounded by his fellow pack mates. For what it was worth, this was just about the same. He was comfortable and at ease, and as long as he didn't think-yet again with that dont think dont think dont think- he was fine. He was almost happy, it was almost within reach. Just a little more. He didn't even mind how close Reyes was, that he had buried his face in the thick fur of his neck, or that Reyes had curled around him so their tails touched. All of this was okay, in fact it was welcomed. So much so that Askan let out a little sigh as he pulled his back legs in tighter and rested his chin on his front paws.

Reyes did not seem the short to offer his past freely and yet here he was, speaking of his family and as to why he had no home. It was a strange way of living and having been a pack wolf all of his life, more or less, Askan had a hard time understanding where he came from. How did he live such a life? It didn't have to be that way though did it, surely Reyes was aware of that.

Opening his eyes, the Yukon wanted to look at Reyes, but considering their position he couldn't. He made do with the night sky. It was almost as pretty.

"Something's changed?" He asked, a tone of curiosity in his otherwise gruff voice.

He didn't know the loner all that well, despite their closeness, so he didn't really know what, if anything had changed to make Reyes consider changing his way of life. But if Askan could help, he should, right? It was only fair, Reyes had saved him twice in one day and as things stood Askan owed him a whole damn lot. There was that worry though, another thread of negativity that lingered in his mind. What if he'd read the loner wrong? It wouldn't be a big surprise but...

"What'd you mean?"

Inactive No Rank
Reyes

“Dunno. Maybe. Hablas demasiado,” he sighed, silver eyes peeling back open. Like he had room to judge. He was talking just as much, only because Askan opened his mouth and invited it. Damn. There was nothing to indicate the observation was anything but, and as the pack wolf shuffled, so did Reyes, content to press the line of fuzz closer together. It was warm. It was comfortable. Hell, it was fucking nice, is what it was, and if they were gonna lay down arms for the night, he was gonna damn well enjoy it.

Even Reyes knew he couldn’t just leave it there, though. Though he doubted his companion would probe much deeper, he could just imagine the other wolf turning it over and over again in his mind. He might not be plagued by noblesse oblige, but his mama hadn’t raised no brute, neither. “Winter’s a bitch, is all ‘m sayin’. And you ain’t so bad, Askan.”

Did he really want to be tied down somewhere? Not particularly, but—

“I can take care of myself just fine. But I didn’t grow up alone, and it gets old. Once Cotton finds his friend…” Reyes trailed off with a shrug, not really sure where he was trying to lead with that. Wandering just didn’t have the same appeal it used to. “Just considering a change. Ain’t so old I’m stuck in my ways. That’s all, chaco.”