(See All?) Announcements
520 Users Online
Google, Bing

something to prove & nothing to lose — Willow Ridge 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Cade (inactive characters) who has 594 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Sven Archer
For @Renier only.

Finally, the man was home. Sven had been anticipating his return greatly, the adrenaline left over from his bout with @Nicolò never quite leaving his system completely. He'd tried to stay out of the way for a few hours, allowing the alpha to drink and eat his fill, to give him a moment of rest before the young Archer could wait no longer. His pale limbs consumed the ground beneath them as his pale eyes sought Renier's tawny pelt, his heart thrumming steadily and strongly within his chest.

This was it. This would be the moment that would decide so much, and for so many. His faltered confidence from the incident with @Bojack had been restored by his triumph, but now his stomach was crowded by sharp-winged butterflies once more. If he truly was able to achieve this, he couldn't back down, couldn't just be another tally on the wall of kings with rubber crowns. This would be final, he would not be allowed mistakes. Was he really ready for that?

The Lyall came into view, and Sven took a steadying breath before lifting his chin.

"Renier," he called out, "Can we talk?"
Played by Switch who has 389 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Renier Lyall
Renier Lyall
don't worry about me the heart is suppose to bleed

The day was one of the better ones. The sun restricted by a few gray clouds, so it was warm but not hot. As he found something to eat, he was pleased to see Odin must have filled caches in his absence. He was not sure he was glad to be back. If he hadn't returned would anyone have sent out a search party? Or would they think he had finally deserted them? He was betting it would be the later, and a quiet sigh fled his lips. He felt someone was watching him a bit too closely once again. He couldn't help wonder what thoughts were burning in the young man's mind. With little other choice he did his best to ignore it for the time being. He really didn't want to get in another row, or power struggle. So he sat out in the open near the den, try to settle the hundred thoughts in his mind.

Lately, everything had been testing his limits, and after some long silence he heard the young Archer coming his way at last. There was no sense prolonging the inevitable. He did not move at first, as his name was called nor the question. He didn't exactly believe he wanted to talk. He remained in his position a little longer contemplating. Then steadily rose, turning about, gold eyes falling upon the white wolf. He paid notice to the degree of his chin, and rest of his facade. "What is it you feel the need to talk about today?" He asked, his tone rather nonchalant except for one word.

[Image: ps_sig_by_becuffin-dc2lwrc.png]
Inactive No Rank
Sven Archer

So much was different about the Renier that turned to face him now. It almost gave him cause to falter, and certainly he was not so quick to answer he might have been otherwise. The look in the other mans eyes, the inflection in that single word; the man didn't trust him. Sven had to wonder if perhaps he even disliked him. Somewhere inside of his chest, a dull pain began to throb. He'd liked Renier, he really did. The man had taught him just as much as his father had, been there for most of his life, come to his defense a few times even. Sven wasn't here because he was ungrateful.

Did this make him ungrateful?

Was it because he was onto what Sven wanted from him? Had Nicolo already whined about the challenge Sven had presented him, or had his motives really been that plain all along? Even worse to think, maybe this was all still because of the ordeal about Enoki. Maybe his and Renier's bond had been broken that simply. Sven couldn't help but scowl. This wasn't how he wanted any of it to go, but there was no turning back now. He needed that crown, and then he would show them all that he really did care, that he had their best intentions in mind, that he was capable and most of all, that he wasn't his father.

He'd wanted to be civil about it, considerate of Renier. To talk about the transition first. This coldness that he was greeted with, however, urged him to react bluntly instead.

"I challenged Nicolo for his rank, while you were gone, and won. Now I want yours. I want to lead the pack."

He wanted to leave it at that, to be cold, but dammit he still liked Renier and he couldn't help the rest of the words that tumbled from his mouth.

"I think you've done a good job. Better than any of the other them. But every time I trust someone with something, they let me down, and I'm sick of watching this pack fade away to nothing. I can't risk finding out if you're different or not. I need to take things into my own paws."

Please understand, he silently begged him. I don't want to lose you too.

Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
A lynx has left behind the remains of a deer. +5 Health
Inactive No Rank
Renier Lyall
@Sven Haven't done a rank challenge in awhile. I know I'll put what my wolf is going for, but you let me know where he actually strikes if the rolls decide he doesn't miss. :3
Renier Lyall

Gold eyes were trying to analyze just what it had come down to. Sven didn't hover without reason. It was not certain of his intentions did he feel his own unease. The change of the white wolf's expression was noted. But, Renier really didn't hold any ill feelings toward the Archer despite some things. He had really wanted to do right by him. Even then, the Lyall knew he was making a poor attempt of remaining neutral. He still had not gained much of his patience, and there were a few matters he needed to attend to. He rather they get straight to the point as he didn't have time to waste.

Maybe, he had seen this day coming. Sven had told him he might want leadership. The words from the day drifted to his mind. The idea it was easier to be the one to make the choices instead of coaxing someone else. Renier knew how that felt. He did wonder what had transpired in his brief absence. (As if he didn't already have a tumult of thoughts assaulting him.) But, he wanted to hear the young Archer out. Try to be understanding of what he spoke. Sven was rather honest in his eyes. Even if it a little blunt, and unlike Nicolo he had ambition. Sense of right and wrong...maybe.

The Lyall rapidly blinked, as the white wolf didn't balk, or hold back.  He wanted to lead the pack. The rogue's faint mask became thoughtful, eyes softening as he went to explain. Ren was praised for his work, but it seemed there still wasn't a lot of trust between them. He was tempted to ask what particularly he would change. Instead he held his silence, but there was no anger to be found. Could he blame the boy? No, he couldn't with the way others had walked out of his life. Everything unstable.

It was collecting a small breath, he raised his frame, lifting his tail."All right, let's see what you got." If he wanted the rank, he would need to earn it unlike the rest. He gave him a reasonable few seconds to realize what was about to happen, then Renier lunged, similar to last time. Jaws agape, aiming for a pale muzzle.

Inactive No Rank
Sven Archer

Sven had been prepared for a lot of things. At this point particularly, with how... broken he personally felt things to be between himself and Renier, he expected anger, perhaps even a twisting of betrayal across the Lyall's features. Instead, he seemed... almost considerate of the idea. His silver eyes watched warily, muscles braced already for what might come. When Renier spoke, the teen's ears tipped forward to catch each word, and the whole of them caused his heart to leap.

Maybe this really would all work out.

Renier moved, and Sven was ready, but that didn't exactly help him at first. In a way, he knew how to fight. However Sven's instincts were to tear and maim, to incapacitate. He didn't want that here, just as he hadn't wanted to harm Nicolo. His wrestle with the eldest Archer was the first benign experience he'd had since his days of tussling with his father's big paws as a pup. So he was still, in all reality, a novice; but still a novice with a lot of raw strength beneath that off-white coat.

He tried to dodge, but the only thing he managed to do for his own benefit was to keep his muzzle out of Renier's grip. Unwittingly, he instead gave the man an opening for the loose skin at his neck, which the older man's jaws wrapped around. It jerked him back, and he retaliated by whipping round like a viper, his own fangs seeking purchase on Renier's nape. He was pretty confident that if it came down to a tug of war, he had the muscle to win.

Inactive No Rank
Renier Lyall
I don't mind if there are spectators? But they'll be skipped over. Ren is just trying to use his weight with his grip, Sven's hold is more solid?
Renier Lyall

It seemed Sven had learned Renier was a man of action, and seemed almost ready for what came next. The Archer managed to keep his muzzle free, something foreshadowing perhaps of what was to come. Yet, the rogue still managed to find grip upon his rough, tugging just enough to try to bring him down to the ground. He didn't believed Sven would easily submit  as he had last time. This was not quite the same thing. This meant a bit more than that. Though Renier's goal remained the same. Neither of them would leave scars, and or shed any blood. This was ultimately a test to see how badly the Archer wanted it, and if he had the means to face the last obstacle in his way. The means to follow thru unlike his father.

Sven own reaction was quick. Teeth veering closer where Renier could not see, but suddenly feel against the side of his neck. A hold about as secure as his own. The pull was not gentle, but enough the Lyall couldn't ignore it. Briefly, he was conflicted if he should release his own, or try to use it hopeful break his opponent's grip. He decided with the later, and paws began to shift in the snow, his weight bearing down with his teeth. Trying to find the fine line between the reaches of pain, and start of a wound. The white wolf had a little more height and weight to throw even if he was a novice to challenges of rank.

(This post was last modified: Mar 16, 2017, 10:53 PM by Renier.)
Inactive No Rank
Sven Archer

Sven had to thank god that his jaws caught their quarry and he secured a grip on the loose skin at Renier's nape. He felt the pull of the alpha's own purchase and fought against it, broadening his stance and digging his paws into the broken snow beneath them. The calculation could be felt, the Lyall's own metaphorical drawn line in the sand perfectly aligned with his own. Would it be a stalemate, then? His legs locked as Renier continued to drag downward, ignoring the pressure and protesting of his nerves as his own skin pulled against his muscles.

The boy could have yanked in the opposite direction, pursued that earlier glimmer of an idea that this match would come down to tug-of-war between the two brutes. There was a smarter way to go about it, however, or so the pale Archer hoped. Suddenly, hopefully giving Renier little to no time to react accordingly, Sven shifted his weight and power. Rather than fighting the alpha's pull he threw himself into it, lifting his opposing forelimb to press against Renier's shoulder. The aim was to use the other man's own efforts against him to topple him sideways. Unless willing to relinquish it, he would still have a hold of Sven, but the younger wolf would effectively be on top if successful, barrel chest hovering overtop the Lyall and paw pinned down upon his upturned shoulder.

if this doesn't make sense hmu. basically i envision them pulling on each other in opposite directions (like a reverse arm-wrestle) and so Sven suddenly pushed into Renier's pull so that they would both go down but Sven hopes to catch, force and hold Renier down with his forelimb(s) before Renier could pull out from under him.
Inactive No Rank
Renier Lyall
It makes sense, but Renier still has a choice to make. Since we aren't going off direct rolls he releases his hold, yielding not to be directly forced. Unless Sven wants to try to stick it to him after all that?
Renier Lyall

It might seem there wouldn't be a clear victor any time soon. That they both would fight for the title of leadership. Matched quite evenly, but they didn't want the same thing.

Leadership here meant so little these days.With the after math of Sven's patterned interference, and Enoki pregnant with Nicolo's brood he did not feel respected in the slightest. After running into Morganna the rogue had already seen his days here as numbered. He would not stay in a place he wasn't valued. Where his rank meant almost nothing to those who called the Ridge home. He could feel Sven's sudden change of direction, but he knew that trick, and immediately released his hold on the white fur. Grounding his paws to the earth. Sven seemed serious in his choice, and the Lyall was done being a tug toy.

"Enough, I yield," he spoke simple and clearly despite his ragged breath. His russet crown lowered to show this new change. "The title is yours. You earned it." You can have the mess that comes with it. Gold eyes looked up to him but not quite directly now that the tables had turned. Was he happy now? What did he plan on doing now he was at the top? Much as Renier wanted to be happy or offer congratulations he had other matters and tried to explain so his urgency would be understood."Now, I must find Bojack and Nimble. I think I know where she came from and they need to set out immediately."

(This post was last modified: Mar 21, 2017, 10:41 PM by Renier.)
Inactive No Rank
Sven Archer

Rather than it working out the way the boy anticipated, Renier released him completely. Sven would have thought the man was about to pull a fast one, except his opponent's motion ceased nearly entirely and a stillness fell over their tussling, infecting the pale Archer. The admission of defeat perked his ears upward and encouraged him to relinquish his grip. Sven stepped back, eyes widened with surprise. That was it? His heart thumped loudly, the blood audible within his thickly furred ears. Had he really achieved it so easily?

A grin began to crack open his muzzle, as Renier went on to confirm this. He was alpha. He had earned it. Paws lifted as he wormed forward, but his chin was not lifted like a king. He attempted to approach as a friend, aiming to butt his skull against Renier's shoulder affectionately, but his predecessor spoke again and the words caused Sven to stop before the action could be completed.

What? Sven blinked at him a few times, tail waving slowly behind his hind legs. There was nothing more the man felt they needed to say, to discuss? Knowing Nimble's origin certainly was a big deal, but if it was so urgent then why had he waited hours after returning to seek them out? Until this very moment? The Archer was given the impression that maybe the import was more about getting away from him.

It occurred to him then, that he could tell Renier to stay. After all, he was the alpha. Instead, he simply nodded once.

"Find me, as soon as you're done. We've got more to talk about."

(This post was last modified: Mar 22, 2017, 04:11 AM by Sven.)