(See All?) Announcements
391 Users Online

I spoke to God today and she said that she's ashamed — Wild Rye Fields 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Alice who has 1,273 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
for the Rye Queen @Jessie  Quick google check says prior to 8 days female woofers won't smell of anything, hence askan's confusion.

The season would soon come to an end and honestly Askan just couldn't wait.

By no means was he a social man, but even he had to admit that staying clear of his fellow pack mates-just to avoid their tempting scent- was getting more than a little tedious. It had been weeks since he'd last had a tussle with Adelayade, and it was starting to get on his nerves. Not because he missed her, or anything as ridiculous as that. It was simply that he was a man who enjoyed sticking to his routines and this damn season had thrown him off course and tossed him about like a little boat caught in a storm.

The caches were starting to get a little empty- all thanks to Percy's insatiable appetite- so of course Askan's kneejerk reaction was to ask Remington if she wanted to join him on a hunt. But no, she stank as well. He full well that if he asked Reyes, he would be happy to step in and help out, but it wasn't quite the same! And it wasn't fair that they were the ones doing all the work, just because they smelled all funny didn't mean they could slack off.

It was all rather irritating, but rather than lay around and sulk, Askan knew that had to keep on trucking and go about his duties as though everything was fine. It would all be over soon enough and everything would go back to the way it was, just as it should be. Pressing his nose to the snow, he expected to catch a wiff of 'lady honk'- as he was now calling it- but instead he just smelled....Jessie, and that was it. Just her plain old scent, the sort he'd expect to smell at any other time of the year. She was a woman too, so Askan expected that...Not that he was complaining, this was good right? After all, it was one less bad smell to put up with.

It wasn't as though he spent much time with the Rye Queen to begin with, after all she was a little scary, but at the very least now he could just say a quick hello without having to hold his breath. Or anything equally dramatic as that. It didn't take long to find the Rye Queen, as just as he'd suspected she had been nearby all along.

Clearing his throat to announce his presence, Askan ducked his head in due respect. "Everything all right, my lady?"

[Image: kana_pixel_by_marthypie-dcn3i8m.gif]
[Image: se_sig_by_becuffin-dbuushz.png]
Played by Lightning who has 727 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Jessie Tainn

Once again, Drestig had been kind enough to take away the burning sensation of the season, her body once again cooled whenever she was in the shade. Everything had seemingly been getting better for the Rye wolves. She returned home, Percy returned back to them, they were no longer fighting, but then Percy was gone. A hollow ache remained in Jessie's chest, a reminder of who she lost, her daughter and first-born child. Jessie knew that she could not lapse back into her depression, not now. The Tainn had a pack that needed her, that she needed to support, take care of, and comfort should need be. Nothing quite made sense anymore to her and once again she found herself detaching from her mate. The woman made her way towards a stream they found when first coming to the Fields, the sound of running water calming to her.

Sad eyes peered down at her reflection in silent wonderment, lost in thoughts and memories. If I hadn't gone would she still be here? Before Jessie had left to go visit her contacts, her primary concern had been Phoneix. A child needs their mother and even then, Jessie had been gone far longer than she anticipated. Claws dug into the dampened ground at the thought. Hunched over at the stream and lost in her own churning thoughts, the alpha did not notice the approach of another until he cleared his throat from behind. Shooting up from her hunched over position and turning her gaze upon the Rye Second, she listened to his words. She swallowed, his throat dry from lack of use. Emerald eyes studied her subordinate's face for a moment, looking for any sign of motive behind his visit. They were not close and if he needed anything she was sure that he would have much preferred to seek out Drestig. Unless he isn't here, in which case. "I'm fine. Just thinking. Is there something I can do for you?" As far as Jessie knew, Askan had also been quite close to Percy though she did not know the expanse of their friendship, she had caught a glimpse of it at the meeting before she departed and despite not being particularly fond of Askan, she did care about his well-being.

[Image: jessiehotei-greysig01.jpg]
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

The Rye Queen's tone was not unkind, but it made Askan frown nonetheless. She was right to think that they weren't fast friends, as even he could see that his brash temper got on her nerves more often than not. Irregardless of whether she liked him or not, he would serve her and those she called family with everything he had. Just as he'd promised all those months ago. But even so, he couldn't help but want her to at least like him a little more than she had back then. Some progress was better than none, right? But from what he could tell he hadn't gotten anywhere. And it wasn't from lack of trying.

"Um...No. I was gonna ask the same thing actually." He admitted with a lame shrug.

How could she be so small and yet so...she had a large presence. So much so that he couldn't help but find her more than a little intimidating. Drestig adored her, so he was certain she was a lovely, charming lady but all he'd seen so far didn't exactly give him that impression. She'd scolded him plenty, to the extent where he wouldn't be surprised if she one day tugged at his ear as though he was a misbehaving pup who needed a telling off. He'd seen Percy receive said treatment so he knew she was both willing and capable.  

But he'd been good recently, hadn't he? Hadn't gotten under anyone feet, certainly hadn't picked any fight with any of their neighbours. He'd been on his best behaviour, so surely that would help smooth things over. Even if only a little.

"Just uh...Glad you don't smell all weird is all, I guess." Which probably wasn't the best way to word it, it wasn't as though it was their fault they were in heat but that didn't mean he didn't blame them. In his own sort of bitter way.

Inactive No Rank
Jessie Tainn

She stared at him openly, trying to find the key that would unlock what was Askan. Surely, he could not be the man that always pissed her off. Drestig got along with him fine and it seemed as though he behaved well-enough with others in the pack. So why do you make me so angry? Maybe it was because she expected better and perfection from him because Askan was their first recruit, Drestig's right-hand, and Jessie did not want to see him fail or perhaps it was his insufferable attitude. Either way, his words did cause a soften of her countenance. It was not very often that others checked in to see how she was doing and while she appreciated it, he would have to be much closer to her to ever get vocal acclaim for it. Despite this, Jessie did tilt her head in acknowledgment and thanks. Perhaps on the inside he's a big softie, just like Drestig. Emerald eyes narrowed on him when he spoke again before widening in surprise.

The pepper-and-salt colored woman had not spoken to anyone so blunt but it did please her slightly - as she was the very same way. The gray woman could not help the sly smirk that formed on her lips, her words brash, "I suppose you have Drestig to thank for that." Green eyes twinkled humorously before breaking off to look over the fields. It was beautiful in their home but ever since Percy left it seemed as though a light had dimmed and the future didn't seem as bright anymore. Clearly her throat, Jessie's lips thinned into a straight line, once again the picture of perfect seriousness. There was something I forgot to do. Green eyes turned back on Askan, her voice softer, "I did mean to thank you. For doing whatever it took to get Percy back. With the state of health that Drestig and I were in, we were in no condition to travel." She paused for a second before continuing, "So, I really appreciate that." She waved her tail instinctfully behind her watching the other man carefully. They were not close by any means, but perhaps they could be.

(This post was last modified: May 23, 2017, 12:24 AM by Jessie.)
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Of all of the things she could have said, Askan hadn't expected her to thank him.

It felt nice of course, to be validated, but it wasn't as though he'd searched for Percy because he wanted to impress her. The little Avalon was a part of his family now, she was his friend and every day that she'd been missing it felt as though he'd lost a part of himself as well. As her mother, Askan knew Jessie must have suffered in her absence, but seeing as the Rye Queen was so strong and stoic it had been difficult to tell.

As to why he had to thank Drestig, well Askan couldn't put the pieces together. What did her scent have to do with Drestig? And vice versa? She smelled like the Old Man of course, as they spent so much time together but he knew she wasn't referring to that. She wasn't sickly sweet, in that alluring and yet somehow still skin-crawling way. She was just...normal? Which was a good thing in his eyes, good on her.

"Don't mention it." He shrugged, still revelling in her praise."It was the right thing to do and..Honestly, I meant it when I said I'd do anything for the Old Man and his pack so..." He wasn't sure what he'd been working up to, so he trailed off as a frown tugged at his lips.

He wasn't very good at this, was he? But hopefully she'd appreciate that he was trying at all. For anyone else he probably wouldn't even bother.

"So just let me know, if I can help, with anything."

Inactive No Rank
Jessie Tainn

He was so young. Jessie had to constantly remind herself that he was not as experienced in the ways of pack life compared to Drestig and herself. When he finally spoke to acknowledge her praise, the Queen kept her face relaxed as to control the smirk that threatened to control her facial features. The Old Man and his pack? If only he knew. It was she who kept a cool-head when things got tough and she wondered if Askan knew that. She openly stared at him. A small smile threatened to twitch onto her lips when a frown pulled onto his. Good, I hope I make you uncomfortable. And though the thought crossed her mind, she did want her pack mates to like her. While in Oak Tree Bend she could have cared less, having the leadership position passed over her head a countless number of times, these wolves were under her protection. Jessie wanted them to trust that, to trust her, and to like her.

Askan did make an effort though and there was a part of her that did appreciate it. Beneath the tough facade and snide comments was a hard worker, who just wanted to do the best for Wild Rye Fields. Her lips trembled, words falling from them before they could be processed, "Would you go on a hunt with me then?" If things went accordingly, it would only be a matter of time before Jessie was territory-bound. She wanted to be able to enjoy her freedom while it lasted. It would also give her a chance to place judgement upon Askan. The Tainn placed high value on whom was a capable hunter. The woman's grey tail waved casually behind her, an indication that her requent to him was certainly not a demand.

Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

The Rye Queen didn't seem pleased. Or at least that was what Askan assumed. She was so hard to read, for as long as he'd known her-which wasn't that long in the grand scheme of things- he still couldn't tell what she thought of him. She hadn't kicked him out of the pack yet so Askan didn't think that she loathed him. But at the same time, she wasn't the sort to sing his praise either. In fact, it seemed as though she jumped at every chance to scold him!

He could see where she was coming from, he knew he could be difficult at times but did she really have to do it almost every time?

It seemed as though she was feeling more agreeable today-or rather he hadn't done anything to irritate her- as she made a surprising request. He'd never been the sort to turn down the offer of a hunt, and honestly if the Rye Monarchy asked him to jump, he'd want to know how high. Maybe it would help them get along better? Spending more time with his Queen. By no means did he think they would ever be best friends, or have the same bond he and Drestig shared. But some improvement was better than none.

And he'd rather spend time with a normal smelling Jessie than any other honking lady.

"Yeah, of course. You fancy anything in particular?" With the two of them their options would be limited, but he'd seen first hand that she was not to be dismissed because of her small size. If anything, her hunting prowess was something to be admired.

Inactive No Rank
Jessie Tainn

Before Jessie became the renowned Scout of Oak Tree Bend, she had wanted to become a Huntress for the pack she had sworn an oath to. The woman had progressed far in her skills before finding out that she excelled in a preferred skill set for her pack. Despite her love for scouting, nothing made her feel more alive than the thrill of hunting and getting in the kill.

A pleasant warm traveled through Jessie when Askan agreed, glad to have something to do for the day. The Rye Queen shrugged, making her way towards the borders, “Whatever we happen to find. Preferably something large.” Perhaps Drestig would not approve of this outing with the slim chance of injury but she would be careful and needed to stretch her legs. It would do Jessie some good to sink her canines into something other than a rabbit or a hare, it would surely help the woman get her mind off of her daughter.

The pepper-and-salt colored woman licked her dark lips, emerald eyes sliding back over to take in the man beside her, “And you? Is there something you prefer?” Maybe they could come to a compromise, or if they truly had no luck, the pair could simply fish, though she had no interest in giving a lesson to the boy if he had no prior knowledge of it and kept the suggestion sedated on her tongue for the time being.

Played by Staff who has 4,811 posts.
A lynx has left behind the remains of a deer. +5 Health
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Yes Askan respected her hunting capabilities but there was just one little thing that bothered him. It was funny really, a small wolf wanting to hunt something large. He would have-rather childishly- sniggered and asked whether a rabbit would do, but he had a feeling that the Rye Queen wouldn't appreciate that. If anything, he'd get his arse nipped. Which wasn't worth it, he'd seen first hand how sharp her teeth were and so he had no intentions of putting himself in harms way anytime soon.

"Large. Yeah, we can manage that."

Following after Jessie, Askan kept a respectable distance between them. It wasn't as though her presence revolted him, she smelled a lot better than any other lady but...He didn't want her to think he was being a creeper, or whatever. She was his alpha and he her subordinate, so there were certain expectations, he supposed? Or at least he felt as though there should be. Like, if he found out some nameless nonexistent member of their pack was being weird towards Jessie he'd be pissed. Not merely because she was Drestig's mate, but because she deserved damn respect. And if they didn't give it to her then Askan-if Jessie hadn't already- would make them.

"Not fussed really. Some sort of deer sounds good to me. Tastes the best, I think. Might be some calves about? Think we could grab one from it's mother?"

Oh this reminded him of the good old days. Of the first time he'd met the Old Man. Sure, starving was hardly a fun time but it had been worth it in the end. After all, that road had led him here. To home and a new family.