817 Users Online
Google, Bing

The Only Pay Off — Wild Rye Fields 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by PuppyThief who has 538 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Drestig Avalon
For the handsome @Reyes Here you are love <3

Spring, paradoxically, seemed to have retreated, the warm weather shifting back into icy winds and frequent snow storms. It wasn't unusual of course, the first hints of changing seasons often felt particularly intense to everyone, every fiber of their bodies reacting to the subtle shift in light and temperature. But now, when the rush of that excitement had subsided, true spring seemed far off yet.

Still, today was a nice one, the distant sun peeking through scattered clouds, glittering in the snow and touching the dark wolf's back with a faint illusion of heat. He longed for the snow to melt, eager to see the waving grass that had given name to his lands once again. But it would come sooner or later; Patience… Not his strongest skill, but one he'd become better versed in over the years. Besides, he had more than the rye to look forwards to in these coming weeks. The thought continued to fill him with both delight and dread, anxiety rippling over his fur as he walked the borders, doing the only thing he really could: Ensuring the pack was safe.

This waiting was the hardest, knowing what his mate was going through, yet unable to take on her burden. All he could do was to alleviate it as much as possible, and perhaps run himself so busy in the process that he forgot his own nerves too.

Word count: 233

Thoughts ”Speech”

Played by Ace who has 510 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Reyes

When he was not near @Askan, it was quite likely the delta male was out and about on the very edges of Wild Rye Fields. The borders still seemed like walls, to him – walls that he helped make stronger every afternoon, adding his own scent to the places it seemed the weakest. Routine was not particularly his greatest interest, but to move, to feel the earth (or snow) beneath his feet, eased whatever aches and anxieties that crept into his head and heart throughout the day.

In the distance, he noticed another wolf. But he was upwind, and could only see the dark, masculine form—

His heart give a skip and Reyes broke into an easy jog, keen on catching up to his mate. He gave a bark; slow down, you jerk! But then the swarthy shape become a visible wolf, and all at once the man realized that was very much not Askan. The man came to a stuttering halt, heat flaming up beneath his fur and burning the tips of his ears. Even his nose felt like it was about to burst into flames. He swallowed hard, but the lump wouldn’t go – so the delta stood rooted to the ground, blinking his silver eyes owlishly as he willed the snow to swallow him whole.

[Image: se_sig_by_becuffin-dbuushz.png]
Inactive No Rank
Drestig Avalon

A call from behind made silver tipped ears flick back, paws stalling as he waited for the other to catch up. As the steps drew close, Drestig turned his head with a surprised smile, tail tip flicking pleasantly as he greeted his newest member: "Reyes, what a surprise." Then he noticed the startled expression on the younger man's face, and his smile grew wry, a crisp note entering his voice; "Not who you expected?" Since joining the Fields, the scarred male had mostly kept to himself, if not with Askan that was, leaving him largely a mystery to the king. Their only other real interaction had been after the challenge with Icicle; Not exactly a redeeming incident..! But he had been pulling his weight, walking the borders and assisting in hunts, plenty to justify his position among their ranks. The leader only wished he would do as much work trying to connect with the rest of the pack; We're supposed to be family..!

Still there had to be more to the rugged loner, or surely Askan would not have grown so fond of him. Sure, the guardian was no social butterfly himself, but he'd managed to establish good relationships with the rest of his pack members; Or most of them anyway… In fact he had been the one to bring a lot of them here in the first place, including this brute; To his advantage.. So Drestig was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but that required effort from both sides. Giving his fur a quick shake, the elder man nodded to his awkward companion, still smiling as he said: "Since you're here anyway, why don't you walk with me for a spell?" The tone was easy enough, but still held that faint, steely undertone, hinting that it was more of a decree than an offer. And he started off immediately, clearly expecting the bistre wolf to accompany him. Once they were back in motion, gazes turn ahead to watch the horizon, the leader would ask: "So, how have you been finding it here?"

Word count: 347

Thoughts ”Speech”

pride12
Inactive No Rank
Reyes

“Nope.”

Shit, if he’d realized it was Drestig, he probably would have minded his own damn business and just allowed the alpha to do whatever it was he usually did. He definitely wouldn’t have barked at him like a goddamn idiot. Not in that tone. At least the guy didn’t seem that put off by it. Didn’t make Reyes feel any better though. Didn’t make him want to disappear any less. He just stood, burning from the inside out, until the king offered his company.

But it wasn’t really an offer, no. Reyes wasn’t an idiot.

The command made his skin prickle, but he finally remembered how to move, falling into line a length behind the older wolf. His tail was low and his head fell, too – it was just after the rank challenge – it was no different than when he’d disappointed his mama. But he loved that woman so fiercely, it wasn’t right for this man to hold the same power over him. It made him want to crawl right out of his skin. But he couldn’t. He was trapped here. For Askan’s sake.

So what did he think of the fields?

I hate it here. Everyone’s too bubbly or too nosy or too rude. I liked Remington, but she’s gone. And then all those wolves who can’t even pull their weight. And it’s fucking cold and the wind is always blowing, and all that snow. The weather is awful. I hate everything about this place. But Askan is here. And Askan is happy.

He shrugged. “It’s fine. Plenty to keep me busy,” Reyes answered mildly, knowing the truth would win him nothing at all. “Lots to hunt.” And that, at least, was honest. A small perk, if anything.

Inactive No Rank
Drestig Avalon

If only he'd known how positively mortified the other man felt, maybe he'd have been less direct. But Drestig could only act on what information he was given, and with Reyes that sadly wasn't much. The younger wolf answered bluntly and then fell instep behind his leader, glowering much as he had on their walk after the challenge; Oh for crying out loud..! The leader damn near rolled his eyes, he could have done so too, since his subordinate wouldn't see. This wasn't what he wanted at all. He had established this home with Jessie, with the exact purpose of creating a happy and peaceful home, for themselves and any others who might need it. They had build a family here, not just with their daughter, and now the new additions to come, but with Askan too, and yes Icicle, who more than anyone had needed a chance to be accepted and appreciated for who, and not what, he was. With every addition their family had grown, new wolves to not just strengthen the pack, but support and care for each other. That was the point. Drestig did not want to be a leader who was feared, or avoided, he strived to be part of the community, to share honestly and equally with his members. He hoped, and believed, that when they followed his command it was out of trust and respect, not blind or reluctant submission. Until know it seemed to have been true.

But they had gotten off to a bad start, he and Reyes. He'd hated having to chide the man as one of their first real conversations, just as he'd hated chiding his daughter for doing stupid and reckless things, yet sometimes it was necessary. But now he feared he might have solidified himself in that position with his newest member, the commandant; Usually I leave that to Jessie… He wanted to avoid that, to reach out to this chap as an equal, show him what it really was to be a wolf of the Rye. So far he wasn't succeeding though. The answer he got was curt and banal, far from a flaming endorsement of the Fields, though not an open denunciation. The king stopped in his tracks again, half turning to face the other, when he caught up once more. Part of him wanted to shout, shake the bastard out of his gloom and tell him that this wasn't how things worked here. But that would work contrary to his intention, without a doubt. So instead he tried again, smiling kindly at the younger wolf; "I guess it's quite different from what you're used to, huh?" He just wanted to connect, sneak his way underneath that protective armor of indifference; Give me something kid!

Word count: 460

Thoughts ”Speech”

pride12
Inactive No Rank
Reyes

Reyes did not expect the alpha to come to a short stop. If he’d been no less than a length away, he would have crashed into Drestig’s hindquarters. His ears flipped forward and down in short succession as he took a step back, as much for his own sake as for the older wolf’s. Personal space was important. The corner of his mouth twitched as he watched the swarthy male’s face for a moment – what the hell did this guy want from him?

Something about that smile unnerved him.

But you’d never see him flinch.

Drestig wasn’t wrong, though. “Nope. No snow where I grew up.” He sighed softly, looking down at winter’s last remnants and frowned at the frosty bits. “It was really hot – never had to worry about freezing.” Plenty of other problems, like dehydration, sun poisoning, wind burn – the list went on. “Just me and my mama and my sisters, but. I left once they were grown. And it’s been just me ever since.”

Save for that short foray into Blackwatch Canyon, but that was a failed effort and only enforced his desire to be alone. Pack life wasn’t for him. But it was for Askan, and that was the important part. “Until Askan, anyways. He ever tell you I pulled him out of a frozen river?” Reyes snorted. “Winter sucks.”

Inactive No Rank
Drestig Avalon

There was the smallest twitch, the tiniest sliver of some expression trying to sneak its way onto the scarred face, and then it was gone again, Reyes once more looking stuck somewhere between 'bite me' and 'I couldn't care less'. Drestig sighed silently, about ready to admit defeat, but then the other wolf began to speak, actually speak; Finally! His answer was more than just a bland no, giving the leader just a glimpse into his pack mates past, and he was deeply grateful for it. Ember gaze following silver to look down at the snow, he wondered at the notion; No snow at all? The mountains of his own youth had been little different from here, cold, snowy winters and warm, wet summers. The brown wolf had to have come from a good deal further south to have had no cold all year round, as he put it himself.

Drestig continued to look at the snow, not wanting to disturb the younger man in any way as he continued to speak. His words held no wistful or sentimental tone, and yet there was a small hint of something, a little softer than usual. No wonder, when he spoke of his family. Drestig's ears were attentively perked, eyes straying up now, out over the snowy expanses, though he didn't really see them, all his attention was on Reyes. This was the first time the reclusive wolf had volunteered any information about himself, giving the leader just a small hint of who he really was. When he paused, the king nodded, smile now replaced by a more contemplative expression, but no less kind. He'd spend a large part of his own youth alone, thinking he wasn't fit for life among a pack, under the rule of someone else. It wasn't until circumstance had forced him to seek admittance into Oak Tree Bend, that he had learned how different the experience could be. His early life experiences had been so damaging.

He wanted to explain all this to Reyes, but it seemed a whole lot to pile on the poor lad all at once, especially now when he had just started to open up. So instead he just mused quietly: "I bet you've seen a lot, coming such a long way..?" He could not even guess what stories might hide within that span, but they could easily be even rougher than his own. But he wouldn't ask more about it, not now anyways. Right now the chap was sharing on his own terms, and Drestig let him. The mention of Askan drew his eyes back to the marred face, one brow cocking at the flicker of humor, and something deeper. He chuckled warmly, giving a light shake of his head; "No, I think pride kept him from sharing that particular tale." His mouth twisted in a crooked grin, then softened again to a more sincere smile; "But I figured you two must've braved a few things, to become this close." How close it was exactly, he wasn't sure, and he made no attempts at hinting at it either. He only knew that Askan cared enough about Reyes to want him around, and the opposite seemed equally true; And I have no wish to ruin that.

Word count: 543

Thoughts ”Speech”

pride12
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
There is a family of deer nearby. Hunt Opportunity
Inactive No Rank
Reyes

“Mhm. Nothing like home, though.”

And that’s sorta the way it always was, wasn’t it? There was little that could compare to the den your mother dug, and the places you explored as a youngster. He grew up in the heat, he was used to it. There weren’t many wolves in the Apache National Parks, but that wasn’t why his mother had encouraged all of her children to leave. There were the naked bears, hairless, always on two legs, and they took from the wolves. Like any bear, even an entire pack of wolves would struggle to defend their territory from it – but there weren’t any territories. But he and the twins hadn’t decided on a direction, and that was that.

“I keep moving north, even when I swear I’m gonna go south.” He snorted softly. He used to wonder why he allowed his curiosity to rule him, but meeting Askan had put a stop to that question, at least. Reyes didn’t believe in destiny, but didn’t see a reason to question it now. He wouldn’t have met the man further south. It had panned out.

But that was that. He didn’t need to dwell. That the beta hadn’t shared his near fatal incident did not surprise the older wolf in the least. “He’s a shit swimmer. And then he bit me afterwards, the asshole.” It was not said with any venom at all. He adored that jerk. Came back to see him, to join Wild Rye Fields, even after the sharp cut of teeth. “But we see things the same, I think.”

Well, except for this. Except for pack life. But sometimes he wondered if that would be different, had he been raised among wolves the way the Selwyn had. “That ain’t really what you want to know, is it?”

Inactive No Rank
Drestig Avalon

Wasn't that the truth? Part of Drestig's own love for this place was the hills, and how traversing them reminded his legs of their own youth in the mountains. Unfortunately his original home hadn't lasted very long, and he'd been left searching for many years, thinking he'd never find another place to love as much. Now this had become his home, the Rye Fields, and while it was still new to him as well, he had grown to cherish it so. More importantly, it was the home of his children, and he hoped it would remain for many years to come. But he was a realist, he knew everyone wouldn't feel the same way, they all came from somewhere, and that place was bound to still be in their minds. Still he hoped they would find a haven here, and come to like it, accept, if not the land, then at least the pack itself as home. It wasn't something to happen overnight though, and he nodded at Reyes with an understanding half-smile, it was an adjustment, and one he knew to give its time.

Feeling the cold starting to seep into his paws, the alpha moved a little on the spot, turning his head skyward briefly to judge the time, and then back to the horizon, squinting out over the nothingness of the snowy lowlands. Reyes spoke again and a silvered ear flicked, attention returning to the him as the older man smiled knowingly. He'd travelled north himself after all, though clearly not the same distance, but he understood the itch to move; Speaking of which… He silently motioned with a leg for them to resume their walk, inclining his head to suggest Reyes take up position by his side this time; Much easier to talk that way. Then he wrinkled he turned his eyes forward, muttering a soft: "Things have a way of working out…" He was no superstitious wolf either, but he had to admit, there had been plenty of times in his life where he didn't know what he was doing or why he was doing it, yet it had let him here, to Jessie and the Fields; So something has to have gone right!

The words about Askan drew a fresh chuckle from the elder wolf's maw, ember eyes sparkling; "He's an acquired taste!" He nodded, imagining the scene in his head. His own first meeting with his second had not been quite so eventful, but there had been no shortness of sharp words and he had no doubt the teeth would have followed, had he tempted them. Still, he'd managed to see beyond the prickly exterior, and so, it seemed, had Reyes. Drestig turned his head to look at the other again, quirking one silver brow at the statement. "I think so too," he agreed, after a moment's thought, voice gentle and sincere. They moved in silence for some time, and then the leader spoke again, still holding that muted, honest tone: "You have to understand, Askan means a lot to me. In many ways, he's like my son." He had taken an instant liking to the snarky youth, and those feelings had only grown. He saw a lot of himself in that boy, and now, looking at Reyes, he thought he might in him as well; "I see that you care for him, and I want you to know that we have that in common."

With that said, he turned his gaze forward once more, tail swishing slowly at his hocks. By his side, the younger wolf asked a question, and Drestig glanced over, smiling amiably; "It's a start."

Word count: 606

Thoughts ”Speech”

pride12