(See All?) Announcements
611 Users Online
Google, Neo, Bing

It's the thought that counts, right? — Larkcall Lowlands 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Alice who has 1,273 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
For my darling @Reyes. I'm back dating this to the 12th cause askan is busy on the 13th. He's heading back to the field, ain't so far from the borders.

This was it, this was smartest idea Askan had ever come up with. He'd never been the sort to scheme and plan things, he'd always preferred to think on the fly and make things up as he went. But even he had to admit that this plan of his was cunning and best of all it had been so easy to follow through. It had been effortless really, which was a nice bonus that would make the result all the more sweet. He almost couldn't believe it really, that he'd even think of doing something so cheeky, but there he was trotting back home with an antler held between his teeth.

And where had he found it? The antler ring of course. He'd stolen it, taken it for his own and he didn't feel bad about it in the least. After all, it wasn't as though there weren't plenty left. Surely one antler wouldn't be missed. The circle was still a circle, even it was a little bit wonky now.

It had occurred to the Guardian that an antler might not be the most traditional of gifts, but Reyes had never come across as a traditional sort of guy. He'd already lined the den with soft furs and pelts and he couldn't imagine his mate accepting a bunch of flowers so really an antler was the next best thing. Sure, it might be a bit morbid and anyone else might think Askan was a freak for trying to give such a gift, but in his eyes it was the thought that counted. It meant that Reyes was on his mind-which he often was- and that Askan wanted to give him something he liked, something that would make him smile. These days it was a lot easier to make the Southerner smile, but that didn't mean Askan appreciated them any less. If anything, he coveted them, like shiny precious stones.

Askan didn't expect anything in return, of course. That wasn't the point, he just wanted to do something nice for his mate because he could. Because he cared. So with all of that in mind the Selwyn continued heading back south, quickening his pace to a trot so he could get back to his mate just that much sooner. He couldn't wait to see what he thought of the gift, but in typical Askan fashion he couldn't help but worry a little. What if Reyes didn't like it? What if he'd made the journey for nothing?

Shaking his head-and nearly jabbing himself in the eye with the antler in the process- the Selwyn hurried on through the snow and across the tundra, close to the field he called home.

[Image: kana_pixel_by_marthypie-dcn3i8m.gif]
[Image: se_sig_by_becuffin-dbuushz.png]
Played by Ace who has 510 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Reyes

Vaguely, snow crunching underneath his thick paws, Reyes wondered if the winter would ever end. It hadn’t been this snowy when actually moved up into this part of the woods – sure, he wouldn’t have called it particularly warm or pleasant, but there had been sunny days and a smattering of plant life still littering the forest floor. But was it the bitter end? Surely someone would have warned him this hellish land was one without summertime.

The wolf paused in his border patrol, leaning down to push his snout into the snow. The pack’s marking was weak here. Reyes grunted softly, lifting a leg to lay down fresh scent before he resumed his brisk trot. There was nothing unusual about the borders, not today – not even a damn hare had crossed the lines. Sure, it was great to report all quiet on the western front, but it didn’t keep the man’s mind from wandering – and wander it did, at least until he saw his partner gliding across the snow with something large in his mouth.

Curiosity immediately took hold, and the older wolf broke away from the borders in a brisk lope, greeting the beta with a happy bark. “Askan! What’re you doin’ out here? What did ya find?”

Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Askan couldn't help but skid to a stop and wiggle his butt side to side like an excitable pup. Reyes! What was he doing out here? The antler, it was supposed to be a surprise, Askan as supposed to think of some nice little speech or something equally as thoughtful as that because...That's how it was meant to be, right? And damn Askan would have swept Reyes off of his feet, the poor Southerner wouldn't even have had a chance.

As much as he wanted it to, things weren't going to work out that way. Askan had to think on the fly and he had to stop wriggling around as though he couldn't contain his delight-which honestly he was having a bit of a hard time doing so. Once Reyes drew near, Askan dropped the antler to the floor and licked at his lips, relishing in the freedom to move his mouth as he pleased. Though really, he just wanted to give Reyes a smooch or two. You know, because he could and he damn well knew that his mate wasn't going to complain, being the sap he was. Though that being said, it wasn't as if the Selwyn could poke fun at him, after all he was just as bad, if not worse. Jeeze, they were just a pair of mushy guys who had a real hard time pretending otherwise.

Once he'd claimed his lick-or two, well honestly it was three, well four- Askan glanced down at the antler he'd dropped at his feet. Compared to Reyes' gift of a rabbit, well it wasn't exactly practical or even edible really but once again he reminded himself that it was the thought that counted. That Reyes would understand why he'd gone out of his way and with luck he'd really appreciate it.

"Huh? Oh this." Askan's tail began to swish again, though this time it was slower, more casual. As though he was trying- and failing- to play it cool. Like Reyes hadn't caught him in the act of being a huge and massive softie."Just something I found. Made me think of you." He shrugged as he looked over Reyes' shoulder. Maybe a little bit anxious about the whole gift giving thing. "Thought you might like it

Inactive No Rank
Reyes

It was a…change, having someone happy to see him. Not just sort of pleased, either – in response to his greeting, Reyes was met with a wiggling frame, all inhibition exhibited in their early meetings abandoned as the beta allowed him to close in. The antler was momentarily forgotten as the older wolf returned the kisses in kind, his tail swinging wildly behind him. If he had complaints about the weather or his loneliness, they were discarded. Welcoming his lover back was vastly more important.

Though, now that he mentioned the antler…

The wolf’s ears pricked forward as he tipped his head, studying the prize. “Looks like you got jammy, huh?” he asked, leaning down to investigate the antler. He knew that bucks could shed them, heard story from wolves luckier than he, but had never actually seen one that wasn’t attached to a buck’s skull. His ears flicked forward before he shifted, licked at Askan’s chin again. For him?

“Wish I had you when I was still a loner. If you can find a damn antler, who knows what else you coulda found.” Probably would have spent far fewer nights with an empty belly. Reyes allowed himself a soft chuckle before pushing forward, pressing his shoulder into the man’s side as he rubbed coat against coat. His. This was his.

Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

By no means was Askan ashamed of what they had,if anything it couldn't get any better, but it almost felt like a little secret between the two of them. Something they engaged in away from prying eyes. Out here in the open like this wasn't exactly very private but with the tundra being as vast as it was there was little danger. Out here, like all of the little secret places they had found, they were free to be themselves and say and do as they pleased. So when Reyes decided to return his enthusiastic greeting, with just as much if not more vigour, Askan couldn't help but grumble with satisfaction as his ears tilted to the side in complete and utter ease.

It hadn't been a long walk, but Askan knew he'd be willing to walk to the edge of the world if it meant that Reyes would be there waiting for him.

"Heh, yeah I sure did." The Guardian was pretty sure luck had nothing to do with it, but he wasn't going to correct him. Reyes was free to assume what he liked."About damn time too, my sisters always used to find cool stuff and I never did."

Was he a little bitter about the past still, he sure was but not any more than usual. Nothing that would dampen his mood and ruin this nice little moment he was having with his mate. And even it was enough he'd damn well smother it down for later, he'd gone out of his way to make Reyes happy so he wasn't gonna ruin it by getting all grumpy. No, this was good. Reyes seemed to like it, if the thoughtful expression on his face was any clue. And that little kiss to his chin was just the cherry on top.

Just like that, the Selwyn's concerns were driven back and replaced with an almost overwhelming sense of satisfaction. Yes, he'd done it! Call him a smug bastard all you like, but Askan was beaming with pride. Wasn't he such a good partner? So thoughtful, so caring. He was a damn catch and Reyes was lucky. Though really, not so deep down he felt as though it was the other way around. Reyes was so good, so out of Askan's league. And yet here they were.

Snorting at his mate's words, Askan pressed himself into his touch as he slid along his side. Whatever he was doing, it felt good so Askan wasn't going to complain. Though if he had to venture a guess he'd say that Reyes was scent marking him, stating that all of this, all of him was his. A few months back the mere thought of being claimed like that would have made his hackles raise in indignation, but now? Well, you weren't going to hear him complain. As long as they were on equal footing he was happy.

"Wouldn't have bet on that. I'd've probably spent the whole time bitching about something. The loner life doesn't suit me, got all skinny. Then what would have you oggled at?"

Inactive No Rank
Reyes

“Heh. Yeah. Almost wasn’t worth finding anything interesting – my sisters would badger me until I handed it over ‘less I hid it away or scarfed it down before I went back to the den.”

Oh, memories. It wasn’t as if Reyes particularly minded sharing. Hell, if he didn’t like it, he wouldn’t have stuck around an extra year to help raise his siblings. The wolf gave himself a little shake, unwilling to taint the pleasant moment with bitter questions and half-hearted memories. Throwing himself into plastering his scent all over his mate was much better, much more fulfilling.

Only once he was fully satisfied did he speak again. “Yeah, well, whatever. I was lonely, anyways.” The company would have been nice. Not just any warm body, mind. It had to be Askan. He hummed as he circled back around the younger wolf, budging his shoulder gently. “C’mon. Let’s bring it back to our den.” Add it to the growing pile of decorations and useful little items. Reyes bent down, taking the antler between his teeth, and broke off into an easy trot. He only stopped long enough to make sure his partner was following along behind. Leaving Askan simply wouldn’t do!

Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Weren't sisters a royal pain in the ass? Askan more-or-less had the same experience himself. If he found something cool, like a special stone or something to chew he'd have it stolen from him in a matter of moments. After all, how was he supposed to compete with three sets of thieving jaws? He'd tried of course, he ran as fast as his little legs could take him but they always caught up in the end. It was all harmless fun, he supposed, but even so it would have been nice to have things to call his own.

Not that it really mattered now, he had Reyes, so what more could he possibly want?

Even though it was in the past, the thought that his mate has been lonely was more than enough to dampen Askan's mood and put a frown on his face. He knew that Reyes was the sort to suffer in silence, that as a loner he couldn't risk showing weakness and so he had to put up a strong front. But he wasn't alone any more, he had Askan and just like they'd agreed it was for now and forever.No matter what.

The Guardian was,of course, glad that Reyes felt comfortable enough to tell him about such things, that he had no trouble admitting things weren't always sunshine and daisies. But at the same time it was also a little troubling, enough to plant a seed of doubt in his mind.

Like Askan, the Southerner was more than just a brute. He was smart, witty , resourceful, kind and best of all he was his. Askan was certain that there was so much more to him than what met the eye and as sad as it sounded, Askan knew that he'd barely scratched the surface. That maybe he didn't know him just as well as he wanted to. Maybe he was being selfish, greedy even, but he just wanted all of Reyes for himself, the good and the bad.

Sighing, Askan had to remind himself that he was in for the long run, there was no rush. It was the journey that counted not he destination. They'd surely get there in the end.

As always, his partner's touch was enough to chase his blues away and he hummed in appreciation. Their den, yes that sounded right.

Trotting to catch up, a cheeky smile tugged at his lips.

"I can't believe how domestic you've gotten." He leaned forward and nipped at the meat of his back leg, before kissing it better with a quick swipe of his tongue. He really did have nice legs,now that Askan looked."Like a whole new man. I like it."

(This post was last modified: Apr 24, 2017, 04:14 PM by Askan.)
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
There is a moose carcass that has been scavenged by coyotes nearby. +15 Health
Inactive No Rank
Reyes

Domestic.

If he didn’t have a mouthful, he would have scoffed. As it were, Askan was only offered a derisive snort – a sharp remark wasn’t worth putting the antler down. He’d have been content to ignore it completely, had teeth not found his hind end a moment later. Reyes yelped, the instinct too strong to quash down. His prize fell free. Temporarily forgetting it in the snow, the swarthy wolf whirled around, caught somewhere between a smirk and a snarl.

“That hurt, cabrón,” he grumbled, settling for a nip thinly veiling his smile.

It was little more than a love bite, really. Following was a kiss to the man’s nose. Carrying his new toy and talking were mutually exclusive items; in the past, he never had to pick between the two of them. It was easy. Just don’t talk. But Askan made him want to talk, to brush up against him and nibble his neck, to rumble and bark, and whatever else caught his fancy in any particular moment. “I ain’t a new man. Just more inclined to…” What? Domesticity? Showing affection?

Eh, he didn’t really want to put a label on it. Reyes shook out his thick coat, bumping into Askan again. This time, he stopped, lifting his jaws to start nattering on the younger man’s ruff. His. This was his. He’d trade it for nothing on this earth or the next. “…I ain’t a new man. You just bring it out in me.”

Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Oh come on, it wasn't like he'd bitten him that hard. Not enough to warrant such a dramatic yelp, and besides he'd licked it better. No harm done, right? Still, Reyes saw it fit to drop his prize and turn on him. Not in anger, the Southerner rarely got that annoyed at him, but that never stopped him from getting a little snarly from time to time. Askan never took offence, he knew that if he was really irritated with him he'd know about it. And that smirk of his, that was a sure sign that he didn't mind, that he was just going through the motions.

"Aww, sorry."Askan purred, his apology anything but authentic.

The kisses that followed were more than enough to make his tail swish, and surely there couldn't be anything better than this. Askan always wondered why his parents made such a big fuss about spending time together, the idea of liking someone so much that he'd want to spend every waking minute with them just seemed...improbable. But now that he was here with his lover and enjoying being he center of his attention, he could see the allure. Surely nothing could be better.

Reyes seemed a little caught up on Askan's suggestion. He knew that the Southerner was a stubborn as they came, but surely even he knew that change could be a good thing. Their relationship hasn't always been this close, Askan certainly considered that a change for the better. He supposed that Reyes was a creature of habit, he probably just neede time. Or whatever.

"Well," Askan began, pushing his side against Reyes' with a deep,mpleased rumble."As long as you're my man, I don't care about the details." He flicked his tail and curled it around the expanse of his throat before moving so he could rub himself against Reyes' other flank.

Maybe he was being a bit more touchy feely than usual,but when Reyes groomed and touched him with such earnest affection it was hard not to do so in return. The way he saw it, he'd done good, he'd made Reyes happy with his gift, the very least he deserved was a touch or two.

"I've changed too, I think. For the better, maybe?"

(This post was last modified: Apr 26, 2017, 04:07 PM by Askan.)