(See All?) Announcements
548 Users Online
Google, Bing, Sophrosnia

nothing can compare — Hearthwood River 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Van who has 292 posts.
Inactive I. Leader
Aytigin Delaney
@Lachesis and possibly @Lilya, if she wants to pop out of the den for a second <3

Pack life suited Aytigin better than he thought it would. He loved the responsibility, loved the stability, and loved being capable enough to find food for his pack mates. And, if there were any wolves that could use food right at that moment, it was likely Lilya and Lachesis. Fortunately, the dark man knew how to get food, and he knew how to find the mated pair. If he knew mother wolves - and he certainly did - they would universally be attached to their puppies for the first several weeks. So there was no way Lilya was out of that den yet, and Aytigin was willing to bet that Lachesis wouldn't be too far off.

So, the River wolf had spent much of his morning in the river, searching for fish. It seemed like it was the only thing the massive, clunky wolf was capable of catching, and if that was the case, then he wasn't going to complain. Because Ayti had caught two - one for the alpha and one for the brand-new mother. He carried them in his mouth by their tails, allowing them to bounce lightly off his wet chest fur and taking his time so he didn't have to worry about dropping them.

Fish were quite slippery.

Aytigin would have been bringing Kisla food, as well, if he had felt comfortable enough with it. However, that pale-furred young man - he didn't know his name - had been very protective of the other woman during her birthing, and the dark wolf hadn't wanted to get his nose bitten off in an attempt to help.

Slowly, he made his way up to the den Lilya had given birth in, lowering his posture greatly enough so that his belly fur was brushing the ground as he entered the clearing. He didn't see Lachesis there, but he heard soft puppy whimpers from inside the den, and his tail gave a couple of thumps to the ground as he listened and waited. He definitely didn't want to go closer than necessary before the alpha arrived - he didn't want to make Lachesis mad, and he certainly didn't want to make Lilya uncomfortable. So, he was content to lay a few wolf-lengths away from the entrance of the den, silent and patient, for the father of the puppies to show up.
Played by Arla who has 1,399 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark
@Aytigin 

Since the birth of his children the river king did not venture too far from her den aside from collecting her food and water. The two surviving Starks were strong and beautiful—he could not wait to see them grow and flourish in Hearthwood, splashing along the river’s edge and exploring the surrounding forest. While he was still grieving the loss of his son—the son he would never be able to take hunting or show him the soothing shores of the lake south of their home—Lachesis was trying to remain strong for the blue-eyed sparrow. He knew that she would blame herself because, like him, she was a worry wart and blamed herself for things that were out of her control. Also like him. A small smile stretched across his pale features at the thought. Usually opposites attracted each other, but in their case like attracted like. And he wouldn’t have it any other way.

He knew that he did not need to worry about the patrols while he was tethered to Lilya’s den. The other males of Hearthwood, along with Lekalta, were doing a fine job and ensuring things continued to run smoothly. The small pack was now flourishing with life and succeeding the way Lachesis always knew they would. He could not help but wonder if Maksim was pleased with the new additions—both young and old.

His raven sidekick still had not given birth yet, but her time was soon approaching. Just like he had promised he would be there for the young mother. He did not doubt that the former Whitestone wolf would also be at her birthing den, for the Arctic had noticed the two were close. Good. If he was busy tending to Lilya and his own children Inna would need someone to care for her when he as not able to—Lorcán was the perfect choice.

He had been in his own den, organizing his herbs and making sure that Inna’s bundle of medicine was ready to go, when the scent of the large ebony wolf filled the clearing. While the ghost would have preferred it if they shared dens, for he missed her comforting presence, he was glad that the new mother had chosen to den close to his own. That way he could tell when she had visitors and he could approve of their presence. As he scrambled out of his infirmary he was greeted by the scent of fish, his brows narrowing slightly as he sauntered toward Lilya’s den, placing himself between the entrance and Aytigin. He offered the dark wolf a soft smile, his maw canted to the side: “Nice catch.”

[Image: ds_by_a_yellow_bird-dc337jk.png]
stick with those who stick with you
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
There is a family of deer nearby. Hunt Opportunity
Inactive I. Leader
Aytigin Delaney
Hazel eyes crinkled in a smile as @Lachesis showed up and planted himself firmly between the dark wolf and the den's entrance. Aytigin had been told that father wolves were quite protective, though he hadn't experienced it himself. The 'pack' that he'd been involved with had considered whelping and pup-rearing a group activity, so he wasn't used to the more possessive, aggressive side. Regardless, it was... a welcome change, and the massive wolf would respect the rules of the new wolves as best he possibly could.

His tail thudded on the ground at the alpha's praise, as he was still laid on his stomach. He lay the fish down on the forest floor and nudged them toward the white wolf. "Thanks - it's about the only thing I can catch," he jested, clearing his throat. "I'm not good at this whole... y' know, hunting thing. I trip a lot." It was true - it had happened a little bit after he first joined the pack, and had led to his altercation with @Askan. He wondered if Lachesis knew anything about that.

"Anyway. I figured you two might be hungry, and I didn't want you to have to leave Lilya, so..." The casanova was almost surprised that he'd mellowed out so quickly. Of course, when all this puppy business was over, he'd probably go back to some of his old ways. But regardless, pack life was good for Aytigin. "Sorry if, uh, you've already got food or something," he continued, meeting his alpha's eyes with a hint of nervousness. "I just wanted to... do something, I guess. Something that might be helpful." And he'd wanted to have a chance to see Lachesis again - to know if his presence was still something that was approved of within the pack. He'd been given a chance, and he certainly didn't want to screw it up.

He cleared his throat again and offered the older man a smile and wave of his tail. "So how are you? How are Lilya and the pups?"
Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark

The large wolf was proving to be an asset to the river wolves. He pulled his weight with little complaint and was trying (key word: trying) to show that he was not a burden. His previous meeting with Askan had left him a little worried, for he wondered what Aytigin had done—or said—to provoke such disdain from the ebony Rye wolf. Truthfully he was not surprised. The mouth on the wolf before him was what worried the pale leader. He did not want to strain pack relations between Hearthwood and Wild Rye due to something Aytigin might have spewed out in a bout of word vomit.

The meeting with Mace had also left a sour taste in his mouth. Whether intentional or not the espresso-coloured wolf had spoken out of rank, his words possessing an authority that did not belong to him. Lachesis’ only regret was not dominating the younger wolf more than he had, for he was not pleased with Aytigin’s actions. The fish, however, was a good attempt at sucking up to the pale leader. But it did not rectify the situation.

His ears twitched at the male’s words, a brow lifting in amusement. XIX could not angry at the younger male’s inability to hunt, for he had been in the same position when he had arrived in the Lore. But that was also because he had (forcibly) escaped from a reserve; the food had been practically served to them on a silver platter. Fishing, surprisingly, had been the one form of hunting Lachesis had excelled in. He frowned slightly at the thought of having something in common with the talkative wolf.

“Thank you,” he responded finally once he had digested Aytigin’s many words as he lowered his hindquarters to the ground, his tail curling around him. His ears were still perched high atop his crown, his chin lifted slightly. While he did appreciate the effort the dark wolf was putting in XIX would not tolerate insubordination a second time. If Lilya was not asleep he was positive that the blue-eyed sparrow was listening to every word exchanged between the two. “I’m sure Lilya will appreciate the meal,” he added, his forehead smoothing as a small smile managed to work it's way onto his dark lips. “They’re all doing extremely well.” He did not doubt that the sisters would become a handful once they were older; right now he was enjoying their small size and muffled whimpers as it would not last long.

Inactive I. Leader
Aytigin Delaney
Aytigin nodded silently as the older man spoke, hazel eyes darting up to make brief eye contact before glancing away again. He kept himself held submissively, laid out on the floor of the clearing. He wasn't comfortable with the white wolf standing so tall above him, but it was less in a way that the posturing offended him, and more in the way that he wasn't used to it. He wasn't sure how to respond to the pale wolf's statements, so instead he just let him speak. It was probably best he didn't open his mouth too much, anyway. It seemed to almost always be a bad idea.

However, there were important things to discuss, and he'd have to risk it for a moment.

"What am I doing wrong?" he blurted, chancing eye contact for a moment before looking back at his paws and correcting himself. "I - um - I mean, if it's... if I'm not speaking 'out of my place,'" he continued, shoulders stiffening awkwardly. "I'm trying, Lachesis. I've been working my ass off since I got here, and I haven't gotten into any fights with neighbors or packmates. I mean, there was this one Rye wolf that kicked snow on me and told me to die, but I swear I didn't touch him." He really hadn't touched a fur on Askan's pelt - at least he had that to hold onto.

The dark wolf cleared his throat awkwardly and looked off to the side. "Is it really just words that make you hate me? Because I can just shut up and be the wolf who goes and catches fish and never speaks, if you want that. I just-" He took a deep breath and steeled himself - being this open about himself wasn't really his forte. "I'm not used to this. I've never been a part of a pack; I've never had structure or stability, and I want to do my best for you and your pack. I just... I'm not sure why you hate me so much. Have I been bad enough for you to treat me so differently from everyone else?" He looked up again, genuinely asking. If he was doing something wrong, he wanted to correct it, but he didn't want to not be himself anymore.
Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark

He had not been expecting the sudden outburst from the dark wolf, his thoughts hanging in the air between the two wolves. The ghost was impressed by the younger male’s boldness to speak what was on his mind, his words dripping off his tongue unapologetically. As the ebony wolf spoke Lachesis remained silent, his tongue suspended between his teeth as his ears twitched, absorbing each word @Aytigin spoke. He noted (and appreciated) the submissive stance the talkative wolf adopted, but he waited until Aytigin was finished before he responded, for he did not want to interrupt the subordinate’s train of thought.

Before taking the throne of Hearthwood and finding his place in both of Maksim’s packs Lachesis had been in a similar position as the ebony wolf before him. He had not understood pack traditions and laws upon entering Lore, and if it had not been for Anastasia he certainly would have ended up as someone’s chew toy. Despite being part of a pack on the reserve, it did not possess the same dynamics as the packs that belonged to feral wolves. Law was not as strict and wolves were far more forgiving.

“I have noticed the effort you’ve been putting in, Aytigin,” he started with a soft smile, his features smooth as his chartreuse gaze focused on the large wolf. “I do not hate you—“ just don’t really like you, but not hate “—and I do appreciate what you have been doing for Hearthwood. Especially how you’ve been taking care of Inna.” He paused with a sharp exhale, hsi ears twitching. “I understand that this is not a situation you are used to—I was in the same position when I first arrived. The first wolf I encountered showed me where my place was real fast. I do not want to ask you to refrain from who you are, just to think before you speak. What you did in front of Mace, speaking out of turn and out of rank, is not acceptable. Not unless I ask you to.” His voice grew more serious, his expression hardening as he spoke. “You are certainly pulling your weight more than I expected, and for that I thank you. However, you need to know your place. There are wolves ranked above you; you do not speak above them unless granted permission. What you do when you’re not in my presence is none of my concern unless you are picking fights. But you do not need to speak for me.” 

Inactive I. Leader
Aytigin Delaney
Aytigin waited for the white alpha to speak, and perked his ears when he assured him that he didn't hate him. It wasn't an I like you just yet, but it was certainly a start, and the dark wolf was going to take what he could get. Then Lachesis went on to say he appreciated the effort Ayti had been putting in, and mentioned Inna. A little smile worked its way onto his lips at that, and a bit of a tingly feeling rose in his chest.

"You don't need to thank me," he began, relaxing his posture just the slightest so that his large shoulders weren't aching with the strain of being so tense. Being big had its perks, but it wasn't so easy on the joints. Hazel eyes found their way back up to his leader's chartreuse ones, and he smiled a bit. "Especially not for Inna. She's a really great girl, and she deserves someone who'll help her and her children. I'm a whole lot of bad things, but I'm not a flake." His eyes widened a bit and he cleared his throat. "Also, um, the puppies aren't... I didn't do anything... I met her after I joined, so, um-" He shifted awkwardly and shrugged his shoulders. "I'm not the dad or anything," the dark wolf finally finished, flicking his ears back and then forward again.

Lachesis talked about him speaking out of rank, and he pressed his ears flat to his skull and glanced away, embarrassed. "I didn't mean to. I wasn't trying to be over you or anything... I won't do it again. I'm sorry." He smiled slightly, his tail beginning to swish behind him. "We didn't really have ranks where I came from. Everyone was kind of equal with the gypsies, so I'm not really used to... doing any of this," he explained, gesturing toward his prone body positioned low underneath the alpha male. "I've heard, sometimes, that alphas get angry if your head is above theirs - I swear if that happens with me, it's just because I'm way too tall and sometimes I can't help it. Just to, uh, clear that up." God, he felt so awkward explaining all of that. He didn't enjoy talking about his past overmuch, because it was so unorthodox that it was occasionally a hard concept for some wolves to process. And god forbid he ever speak of his mother, or his deadbeat father.

Then the pale man went on to emphasize picking fights and Aytigin arched an eyebrow, hesitating before asking, "Did, um... did a wolf named Askan Selwyn talk to you?" He was a bit nervous about the answer. He didn't know Askan personally, but the guy was a total dick, and the younger man had no idea what he'd done to make the guardian so angry with him. "I don't really know what I did - probably just said something stupid again - but I didn't try to pick a fight with him. I'm definitely more of a let's talk it out kinda guy." He tried to end on something of a joke, but it fell a bit flat, as he still felt slightly anxious for what Lachesis' conceptions of him were.
Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark

An amused expression rolled onto Lachesis’ pale features as the dark male spoke, stating that he had nothing to do with the children in Inna’s swollen stomach. He nodded slightly as his lips curled upward, a single brow raised. “I know you had nothing to do with them,” he chuffed, his tone light as the words cut through the air, “but I appreciate what you’re doing for her all the same. Being as busy as I am I have not been able to tend to her as much as I would like to, so it makes me happy that she is being taken care of.” Leading a pack and fathering puppies took a lot out of the ghost, and he felt guilty for not checking in on the raven Baranski more often. He truly wanted to be there for her but his busy schedule often got in the way. XIX promised her that he would be more present, especially when the puppies arrived, as he wanted to be a part of their life. Inna was like a daughter to him and he wanted nothing but the best for her. He just hoped that no more tragedy would strike the Hearthwood wolves.

“My former pack”—if it could even be called that— “was similar. The concept of ranks, and authority, was very new to me when I arrived here. It took some time, but I finally got the hang of it… and so will you.” He offered a reassuring smile as he spoke, his tail wagging slowly behind him. An idea popped into his skull as he allowed the air to settle between them, his ears twitching. “If you’re unsure of any pack laws I would suggest talking to Inna—or me—as I’m sure she wouldn’t mind helping you out. Aside from her little mishap, she is one of the most loyal wolves Hearthwood has.” Since he was already spending so much time with her it would not hurt to get a little advice from her, as well. “One thing you should know: there is no breeding without permission. Keep that in mind next spring,” he added, his gaze hardening at the very flirtatious wolf before him. That goes against pack law.” He did not know if he could handle little Aytigin’s running around Hearthwood… the thought alone was enough to cause a shiver to run down his spine.

The ghost nodded at the large male’s next question, his maw canted to the side. “Yes, he did. Askan and I are friends,” he added dismissively, his features softening. “I’m trying to establish a good relationship with Wild Rye, so it might be wise for you to avoid that area for awhile,” he suggested with a gentle chuckle to show that he was not angry at the dark wolf for the sour interaction with Askan. At least the Rye guardian had not been severely irritated by the encounter, otherwise there might not be a relationship with the western pack. 

Inactive I. Leader
Aytigin Delaney
Aytigin was glad the alpha male believed his claims, and wondered if Lachesis had any idea who the father of Inna's litter actually was. However, even the chocolate-colored wolf knew better than to ask something like that, so instead he just wagged his tail lightly behind him. "You don't find a lot of wolves as good as Inna," he commented truthfully, then furrowed his brows. "I'd say you're pretty damn busy. You shouldn't feel guilty about not being able to be everywhere. Hell, there are plenty of wolves here to take care of everything, if we all pitch in." He glanced over at the den, then back to Lachesis with a smug grin. "Besides, your kids and mate should be your highest priority right now, don'tcha think?" He liked to think he had something to do with Lilya and Lachesis getting together.

He didn't doubt Inna's loyalty for a second. "We all screw up sometimes. The way she talks about Hearthwood, you'd think it's the only thing that really matters to her. She works her ass off." A crude way of putting it, but it was true. Inna was one of the hardest workers that Aytigin had met in the River, in spite of her being pregnant. Then, Lach mentioned the whole no breeding thing, and the mocha-furred wolf grinned in response. "Don't worry about that. I don't really want to have pups, anyway." He shrugged his shoulders - he had no desire for a family, after living with an abusive mother and a father who abandoned him. It just wasn't appealing.

"I plan on sticking around Hearthwood," the large wolf assured the leader after he told him to stay away from the Rye wolves' territory. "I think it's probably much more important to make sure everyone here is fed and protected rather than headin' off to make friends somewhere else." He smiled a bit, then relaxed his posture so that he could sit down before Lachesis rather than cower. His shoulders gave a disapproving series of pops as he rose, and he stretched them out to help them limber back up a little.

Hazel eyes met the white wolf's chartreuse again with a small smile. "Do you need anything? I'm sure you've been pretty busy, so if you're hungry, or whatever, I can go get you something." He pointed his nose toward the den for a moment. "Or Lilya, for that matter. I mean, I brought her the fish, but I don't know if that'll feed both of you."