560 Users Online
Bing, Google

Workin' To Get My Fill — Umbra Copse 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Ranico who has 60 posts.
Inactive III. Subordinate
Kuwindwa Mapinago
Partly Cloudy48º F, 9º CAfternoon

Kuwindwa could almost say she was "settling in" now. She still wasn't entirely certain of her feelings toward Quaking Vale – the idea of staying – but the wolves were young and kind, worthy of her protection. She grew fonder of the idea of remaining everyday. She just hoped she would really be protecting them, not unintentionally endangering them. She tried to convince herself she didn't need to worry anymore. The pursuit had ceased long ago. Surely, surely they would give up after a year... but what if they didn't? What if? The longer she stayed the more it would hurt if she somehow lost them.

The only thing Kuwindwa could do to ease her worry was patrol. Patrol, hunt, try to start over. At least if there was going to be danger she might encounter it at the border, where she could lead anyone pursuing her away from her young charges. Alastor and @Sahalie may have been her alphas, but they were young. So yes, they were hers to protect, though she suspected they might disagree with her pretentious viewpoint. Padding past the Quaking Aspens of her pack lands, Kuwindwa began her steady pad around its perimeter. It would be easy to lose one's way if they were unfamiliar with the area... the last week had found Kuwindwa becoming more knowledgable about the land surrounding her new home, albeit she still wasn't thrilled with the ominous vibe these woods gave off. Quaking Vale was a shock, a bright spot in an otherwise dank woodland. Kuwindwa left her mark then proceeded forward, eyes peeled and ears perked.

The sun slipped behind a cloud and Kuwindwa shivered, pausing her patrol to consider the darkened sky until the sun peeked out again. 

How did @Larkspur manage to convince her to follow him again? It had been misty that day, the weather unrelenting. Not too long before their fateful encounter Kuwindwa had been injured... today her pelt was a little cleaner at least, and she wasn't quite as thin anymore. She was recovering. Today there was no fog, and the sun was shining. Spring seemed to be arriving at last, along with warmer weather.
Played by Marina who has 189 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Larkspur Ritter
Larkspur had left a small parting gift early in the morning for @Sahalie — a plump pigeon — and then was off. There was no need to linger around Quaking Vale any longer, but he still found himself procrastinating and wandering aimlessly around the Umbra Copse. He knew how to get back to the mountain, but wasn't sure if he wanted to make a bee-line there or not. Although he was mostly sure that no one would follow him, he couldn't help but to feel as if there was someone walking behind him. The man sighed and made another turn, finally thinking it was about time to leave. He was being a child about it all and he knew it. Lark glanced behind him, expecting to see nothing but mist and trees. 

Instead he saw Kuwindwa. He hadn't seen much of her since bringing her to Quaking Vale's alphas and paused. Under normal circumstances, he would have continued walking. Larkspur watched her for a moment and thought that she looked better than she had when he'd first seen her. His tongue swiped over his nose as the woman suddenly stopped. He approached the woman, offering a small boof in greeting. He glanced at the sky, but saw nothing particularly interesting. He hadn't told anyone that he was about to head off and didn't think that Sahalie had done the same. Or at least he hoped, he didn't exactly want everyone to know his business. "You look better. Settling in well enough?" he had never been one for small talk, but if he wanted to hang around a little bit longer he was sure he could come up with a few things to talk about. 

Kuwindwa Mapinago
Speaking of Larkspur... no sooner had he crossed Kuwindwa's thoughts her gaze fell on him. Since her arrival, she had made herself somewhat scarce, preferring to keep to herself and work. It wasn't unlike her mannerisms in times past, though back then she had been more willing to seek out company. She could probably stand to spend some quality time with her packmates, but there was still a wall keeping her from connecting deeply with any of them – a wall she still failed to recognize for what it was: her own creation. It was her fault she couldn't settle in. And somehow she expected it to magically get better. Well, it wasn't. Wouldn't any time soon.

Still, her spirits lifted slightly to see the pale wolf's scarred face and she waved her tail in a friendly gesture before moving to meet the man half-way. There was no abrazo – Kuwindwa was hardly a touchy-feely wolf anymore, but compared to previous encounters the woman almost looked delighted (if her rather subdued expressions could ever be called "delight" or "happiness").

"Good day, Larkspur. Thank you," Kuwindwa chimed. She hadn't been complimented at all lately – not that it was required, mind you – but she couldn't resist the small smile that decorated her maw.

"Well enough." She echoed as an answer. Wind hesitated before adding: "I'm- I am trying. They are bit young, a bit foolish," she commented on their packmates easily, one ear flicking dismissively. "Still, no harm will come to them if I can help it." But enough of that. She didn't need questions about how she was struggling. She'd been patrolling fairly regularly and while she had occasionally caught wind of Larkspur's scent, she'd never actually run into him on patrol.

"What are you doing out here?" Point-blank, huh.
(This post was last modified: May 05, 2017, 05:30 PM by Kuwindwa.)
Inactive No Rank
Larkspur Ritter
It was almost funny how the two were so alike. Both happy to avoid their pack, but happy to help. Or, maybe not happy, because Larkspur was ever that. He did not return her tail-wag, or her smile, but was instead neutral. Compared to the way he greeted Castel — with teeth and a growl — it was friendly enough, at least by Larkspur's standards. He was a little relieved at her lack of touch, and happy to keep a comfortable distance between them. They were allies now, but that didn't mean that Larkspur was out to make any more friends. Sahalie he cared about up to a point, but now a days he was mostly for himself. He thought it was a little easier that way, and so far it had been. 

Larkspur offered a half shrug in a sort of Yeah, I told you manner. "Everyone's a bit foolish at first," then you could teach them better.. most of the time, anyways. He didn't pester her with any more meaningless questions. She seemed to be settling in and that was good enough for him. Maybe someone like Sahalie would ask, and he was positive that their leader would do her best to make sure that Kuwindwa was happy. It's all she seemed to want, which seemed silly to Larkspur. He'd always believed that you couldn't make anyone happy — not even yourself. It wasn't worth the energy to try. 

it was probably better if he let someone know. He didn't feel like the woman would dive too deeply into it, so for once offered information without hesitation. "I'm leaving for a few weeks," he gestured in the direction he was heading, which was east-ish, maybe a little south-ish. It wasn't where he was really heading, but Kuwindwa didn't really need to know. "I've got to go check up on someone. Figured you can babysit while I'm gone," he flashed her a quick smile. "Hopefully will be back sooner than later, but you know how it goes."

Kuwindwa Mapinago
"Everyone's a bit foolish at first."

That was something they could both agree on. Only time and hardship brought wisdom. Experience, trials. All this together could bring the prudence younger wolves often lacked. The woman's face cleared again as her head tilted slightly. Wait, Larkspur was leaving? "I hadn't heard," she murmured. Possibly it was something he wanted kept quiet, or perhaps Kuwindwa was too detached. Maybe the things she should have been asking and investigating were missed because she still chose to remain apart. Her eyes trailed in the direction he'd indicated. It was the direction she came from when she had been running, before stopping in the Vale.

"I've got to go check up on someone." He didn't strike her as a person with a lot of attachments. Sure, he had made a difference for her, ephemeral though that difference might be. "Figured you can babysit while I'm gone." What – who – could be so important to drag the man away?

Bronze eyes returned to Larkspur narrowed slightly, inspecting him. One brow lifted, but her expression was carefully neutral when he finished. Yes, she knew how it went. It was dangerous to go alone. The wolf without the pack... the pack without the wolf. Undoubtedly Quaking Vale would feel their elder's absence. He had more standing than Kuwindwa, more history with the young faces therein. But more than anything, Kuwindwa understood the need to flee, and she wondered if he would come back, if he meant to. The tension between the beta and alpha male had not gone entirely unnoticed when Kuwindwa arrived. No smile appeared, though her voice suggested a wryness: "I'll have them whipped into shape for your return, Larkspur." If you return.

Turning back on her path, she passed Larkspur a sidelong glance, "If you are not in a great hurry, perhaps you'd care to join me for the remainder of my patrol?" Perhaps they could find something for a parting meal. Kuwindwa wished she'd had the time to fatten up before she'd left. Circumstances had been pressing. Besides, however small it was, Larkspur was the one wolf she did have some small debt owed, and why not make good by it?
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
There is a deer that was killed by a lynx nearby. +10 Health
Inactive No Rank
Larkspur Ritter
"Mm. I've only told Sahalie," the only wolf that really needed to know that he was leaving. Hell, he doubted that anyone besides their little leader would even notice he was gone. She was the only one that sought him out for actual conversation, and the others he chose to try to avoid. "Don't think anyone will ask," or maybe even notice he was gone. It could be possible that he was underselling himself, but also Lark didn't typically go out of the way to make sure everyone liked him. The man snorted, "I'm not really one to believe in miracles." 

Larkspur did not want to leave, if only because he feared what he may find upon finding Eidolon. In Quaking Vale, everything was going smoothly — or even smoothlyish. The unknown awaited him, and Larkspur did not like things that were unfamiliar to him. Quaking Vale was not what he had come to know his whole life, but it was his new home. The fact that he had potentially ruined his home — his little haven — disgusted him. 

Or, it was Sahalie's haven, wasn't it? 

Regardless, he did not want to leave, but was also uncertain of his return. What needed to be done if the doe-eyed girl had a litter of Ritters? He couldn't leave the children with the woman, and he definitely could not bring Eidolon home...

Kuwindwa brought him back into the real world. He was relieved for the woman's offer, which would only offer him a bit of a distraction. A decision would need to be made, but Larkspur was putting off making any just yet. "No, not in any rush," it would be a good time to get to know a little more about the woman before he left. Finding Kuwindwa's side, Larkspur allowed the large woman to take the lead. 

Kuwindwa Mapinago
So only Sahalie knew. Sahalie... and now Kuwindwa. It was unlikely she would say anything unless asked directly where Larkspur was, and even then, was it really her business? She supposed being part of Quaking Vale meant the absence of one of its members very, definitely, was her business. If no one asked, no one at all... then, "For what it's worth, I will keep watch for you. Do you really believe they think so little of you they would not wonder...?" ...well, there was that time @Castel said Larkspur was a dick. Kuwindwa had yet to agree.

As they fell into step, Kuwindwa let a moment of silence sink between them.

"Nor I," agreed the woman softly. Miracles? There were no miracles. The closest thing was new life, and even that could be stripped away in a moment. Evil deeds washed away what good there was, destroyed hope. No, there were no miracles – only hard work and the code, the code that brought her balance once. Maybe she should teach it to her newfound pack? Her gaze slid back to Larkspur, "The strength of the wolf is the pack. The strength of the pack is the wolf," she quoted the words she had grown up with. "Miracles do not exist." Bitterness seeped into her voice, tainting the air around her like some foul smell. "We must work to create peace and prosperity." There were no hand-outs, no miracles, and no waiting around for good things to happen. She did not believe in luck, and she wasn't sure about coincidences either... although running into Larkspur before his departure seemed to be a noteworthy one.

Still, that did not mean she could not try to do good. To do alike unto others. To be a defender, even if she was not always kind.

A scent wafted past. Her step paused as she took a deeper breath to ascertain the scent and it's direction. Her head turned... deer, and lynx. There was a lynx in the area? She'd need to keep a close eye out for the cat in the future. She allowed herself a brief distraction before turning her gaze back to Larkspur.
(This post was last modified: May 05, 2017, 08:46 PM by Kuwindwa.)
Inactive No Rank
Larkspur Ritter
He tilted his head to one side, then the other, and quietly hmm'd as he thought. He didn't think that anyone thought little of him, but that not having a grumbling, mostly-snarly, snarky old man around might be a little bit of a... relief. Sahalie put up with it for some reason, and because of it he had opened up a little more. He had changed for the better in the dark girl's presence, but at his core he still remained the selfish, unfriendly man that he'd always been. "I don't think that they will wonder beyond their own natural curiosity. But that's fine by me," on the other hand, he could be surprised. It was doubtful, but nothing was impossible. "I am here for Quaking Vale, and nothing more," that was a flat-out lie, but little lies like that wouldn't hurt anyone. Except maybe himself, but he had done pretty good for himself so far. 

Lark glanced back at the woman when he heard the bitterness of her tone, and for a moment thought of her as the lost wolf he'd found in the misty forest. Age soured some, and sweetened others. He hadn't pegged Kuwindwa one way or another, but hadn't learned enough about her to know. She was pleasant, to say the least, and not talkative in the way that he liked. 

Even now Kuwindwa seemed comfortable enough to let the both of them fall into silence. When he noticed her pause, Larkspur turned to join her and sniffed at the ground. Lynx. A whisker twitched. Had he not been on his way out, Lark would be intent on killing the dumb thing. They all seemed to be following him, stomping around where they weren't welcome...

He glanced up at the woman and nodded in the direction that the scent was and took the lead towards it. 

The small cats never seemed to do much damage to the deer. Usually they left plenty, which meant less work for them, he guessed. And he probably needed a good meal before he was off — officially off, anyhow. 

Sorry to cut off!! Have to run :)

Kuwindwa Mapinago
No problem. I ended up having to jet around the same time. xD

Kuwindwa almost chuckled at the man's response. He was probably right. Sahalie had thought highly enough of him to accept the warrior on his recommendation alone. That said something. Maybe it was Larkspur who thought so little of himself. At least one of his alphas was fond enough of him. Still, she chose not to ruminate too deeply as she shifted focus toward the fresher smells and trotted alongside her companion. She followed until the carcass was in sight, where she stopped to allow Larkspur to continue forward for first (well, second) choice. It isn't fresh-hunted, but... "At least you need not set off on an empty belly," she commented, her head cocked to the side as a peculiar half-smile formed on her muzzle. "I hadn't the same luxury when I left."

She padded forward then to regard the deer – a doe, likely only just past her first winter. Not a large one, but Wind couldn't claim to be surprised when the animal was brought down by a cat. The bite that claimed the doe was clean, the meat taken minimal. If not for the wolves' presence, it would have been a waste. Now it was a small blessing. Kuwindwa may not have believed in miracles and she held to working hard, but she would not disregard a gift like this. She wasn't nearly as picky since her time alone. Couldn't afford to be.

I'm here for Quaking Vale, and nothing more. Kuwindwa mulled his words over. Really? At the risk of interrupting his meal: "How did you come to the Vale?"