(See All?) Announcements
580 Users Online
Bing, Google, Hazelnut, Baidu

Raised Wrong — Turtleback Lake 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Bryony who has 6 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Darcy Renoir
She was raised in the water and grew into a siren, not a mermaid. 

The Grotto had been home, but when home got too small, Darcy had to go. The runt of her litter, she hated being babied and fought coos and patronizing words with teeth and biting words. But she was never anything but cute to them. So she had to go. Find somewhere she could be seen as the hellion she was. Be an equal, not a baby sister.

The journey here had been difficult, but she pushed through it. It was hard to admit, at times, that she missed the soothing touch of her mother when her lungs struggled to fill with air and her throat felt closed. 

But as the massive lake came into view, Darcy knew she was home. And as she curled her toes into the stony shore, she knew this was it. Finding a den proved the hardest part, but a Darcy-sized boulder where she could dig out a small den in the pebbles was sufficient. She was independent. She could do this on her own and no one would coo or cuddle.

Even as the sun fell and she was feeling vulnerable, Darcy held a hope close to her heart that she would survive here on her own. The only Renoir to run away from home. 
(This post was last modified: Jul 07, 2017, 02:27 PM by Darcy.)
Played by Alice who has 1,273 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
omg i love her

Askan was in a bad mood, which was to say he was grumpier than usual. He was feeling a little better, didn't feel as sick as he had days before, but his stuffy nose and thrumming headache still lingered like an unwelcome guest. This was getting old and sure, it could be a whole lot worse. He could have caught some scary illness that-according to the rumours- drove him insane and made him foam at the mouth like a rabid raccoon. In comparison this cold was nothing, like a drop of water in a massive lake. Still, Askan had never been one to suffer in silence.

If he felt crap then the whole world should feel that way too, or so he thought.

It was starting to get late by the time the Selwyn arrived at the lake shore. He didn't make a habit of going out at this hour, but with his clogged nose and sour mood he figured a long walk might do him good. He'd spent the past few days resting-or more accurately moping- so he had the energy to spare. Askan wasn't a big fan of water but he quite liked the lake. It was a quiet, scenic spot and despite it's proximity to the River wolves he rarely ran into anyone here.

He hoped he could enjoy the lake in peace but it seemed as though that was not to be. For he wasn't alone, there was a stranger nearby.

At first Askan didn't notice her. But once he'd raised his head and finished having a drink, his nose twitched as an unfamiliar scent flitted into his nostrils. Suddenly alert, his ears stood to attention and he whipped about, his eyes roaming over the darkened landscape. He knew he'd smelled something, or rather someone. Where were they?

Squinting, Askan gritted his teeth in frustration. Damn it. Why could he never be alone, why did someone always have to bother him?

"Where the hell are you hiding?"Askan rumbled, his frustration clear. They weren't so close to his borders that he felt cagey, but they weren't far from the River's. And the last thing he wanted was some freak to be skulking around their home, especially with so many pups to look after.

"Show yourself you shit."

(This post was last modified: Jul 07, 2017, 05:18 PM by Askan.)
[Image: kana_pixel_by_marthypie-dcn3i8m.gif]
[Image: se_sig_by_becuffin-dbuushz.png]
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
A young deer has been separated from the rest of its herd. Hunt Opportunity
Inactive No Rank
Darcy Renoir
Thank you! 8'D

Sleep didn't come easy for the girl. She was wired and anxious, but excited to be here. Truly, she wanted to explore, but it was dark and she was smart enough to know that walking around in an unfamiliar place at night was bound to get her lost or eaten by something. Her pale eyes simply fixed upon the quiet lapping of the water on the shore. Pulling, pushing, gently, rocking, floating, off, to, sleep.

Darcy had nearly dozed off, eyes fluttering and opening as her brain began to shut down for the night. And then, of course, there was an angry voice and the excitement was gone. Clearly, this was about her, because if she had smelled or heard other wolves around, then she wouldn't have dug this den out. It was a big lake. She could have gone somewhere else. Anywhere else on the shore. Why did the one place she pick have to have an asshole camped on it?

The reality was that she had smelled wolves, but not <i>right</i> here. And the shore wasn't teaming. But, no, she was the shit. Baring her teeth, she dragged her lithe body from beneath the boulder and whipped her head both ways before laying her eyes on the dark shape that was so cruelly addressing her. 

"I'm not hiding," She snapped, scowling in the way only an indignant child could. "I was sleeping. And minding my own business. Seems like someone has a problem with that." Despite her mouthy retorts, Darcy didn't get close to him. He seemed larger, more capable. She was a smaller wolf who had trouble breathing sometimes. A lot of bark, a little bite. It was all she could manage. Darcy hoped that her words would be enough to shoo him off. Leave the angry teenager alone. Hiss. Spit.
(This post was last modified: Jul 07, 2017, 05:47 PM by Darcy. Edit Reason: fixing weird coding? )
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

By this point Askan should have learnt to expect the unexpected. Life always seemed to be throwing curve balls at him and yet he got hit square in the face each and every time. All he'd wanted was an honest response but all he got was snark in return. What was it with kids these days? So young and arrogant, like they were something special. Askan was in no mood for her attitude, so when she slunk out of her little crevice and faced him, he shot her the sourest of looks. The sort that would make a flower wilt or tree lose it's leaves.

Everyone seemed to say that to him, that he stuck his nose in other's business. And it was true, he liked to be in the know, never left in the dark. But would he admit that? Of course not. He'd rather bite off his own damn tongue.

Flicking his tail irritably he took a step forward and then another to close the distance between them. Things weren't going to get physical, as annoying as she was Askan didn't have a habit of beating the hell out of loners, especially ones this small. If they threatened his home and those he cared for then he would, but out here? What threat could she pose? None.

"Don't get pissy with me." Askan rumbled."Just asked you a question." Though in her defence he'd hardly been polite about it."Who are you anyway? Aren't you too small to be on your own?'

Inactive No Rank
Darcy Renoir
The look shot at her made her stomach flip over. But her scowl only deepened, ears flattened on top of her head. She side-stepped towards the water as he took a step towards her. 

Running into the water, swimming away, seemed like a smarter idea than trying to fight him if he started something. But Darcy was likely getting ahead of herself. Probably didn't hurt being a little cautious, thoughtful, ready to move at a moment's notice. Maybe some would call it cowardice, but Darcy would consider it being smart. Her only defense was her words and if that failed, then she was unarmed. Dying was stupid and something she had only months ago really began to comprehend. Death didn't apply to young wolves. It applied to the old and to the weak. Not the smart and the young.

"You called me a shit, abruti," She countered at him, spitting a foreign insult at him. As her frustrations grew, so did the accent of her home. A little growl rumbled in her throat and her tail lashed behind her. Her internal discomfort lightened somewhat, however, when he pried into her life, knowing that, perhaps it was not his intention to start a fight, no matter how much of a literal ass she was being. Good to know. He had a line that wasn't as close as she had thought.

"My name is Darcy Renoir. And I'm big enough, merciétranger," Darcy rolled her eyes, baring her teeth again as he commented on her size. "And who are you, who acts like he owns the whole lake?" The answer she wasn't looking for was "I'm the big bad wolf who owns the whole lake". She took a deep breath in through her nose, catching his scent a bit more deeply, and that of the surrounding air. It didn't smell much like him beyond the bubble they were standing in. 
(This post was last modified: Jul 07, 2017, 06:58 PM by Darcy.)
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

"Tcccht." Askan tutted, squinting as though he'd just licked something sour.

She had a point though, he said just that but... What? He was listening to her intently and yet he couldn't understand what she had said, or rather the last word that had passed from her lips. He was of course used to it, after all Reyes spoke his language quite often but to hear it from a stranger was little disconcerting. Like she'd discovered a secret that wasn't hers so take.

She went onto introduce herself as Darcy Renoir-he'd never heard of that name before- and uttered some of those strange words again. They didn't sound quite the same as Gabriel's words, his were more fluid like a fast running river. Whilst hers had an almost lyrical edge to them, like she was threatening to burst into song. He'd never heard anyone else speak like she did and whilst it wasn't the same, or even close really, Reyes was the only one he had to compare it to. Though really it was like saying a rock and tree were the same thing, because they were both solid.

She could show off her teeth as much as she wanted, she was small. And getting touchy about it wasn't going to get her anywhere, she had to suck it up.

"Askan Selwyn, Guardian and Second of Wild Rye Fields."He stated, his head held high. Even now it mattered to him, made him feel important, like he counted."Hey, that language you speak, do you come from the south?Uhhh know what cabroon means?"

Inactive No Rank
Darcy Renoir
As much as she hated him, the child she was, there was something exciting about their exchange. Like she was a real adult having an actual conversation with someone who...ugh, ok was treating her like a kid kind of. Well, never mind. He seemed really full of himself and it was annoying. What the hell were the "Wild Rye Fields"? It sounded gross and dry. Dry and Rye rhymed. Except he was here, claiming he kind of owned the lake, she supposed, because he was the Second of this weird pack.

"What's so special about some dumb fields that you need to guard them?" Darcy asked, genuinely curious, but of course she had to be a dick about it. "And no, I don't. What does it mean?" Her voice took on a slightly higher pitch, now actually curious and also not a dick. The word didn't sound like the language of her home, but it also didn't sound like the tongue that they were currently sharing for the most part. Darcy wanted to absorb knowledge like a...Like a fish breathed water like air. "I come from the north. It's the language of the Grotto." Duh. 

It was hard, being mean and also very interested. Because, yeah, he was really annoying with his head all held high and shit. But he was about to tell her about this new language and obviously teach it to her, right? "Cabroon." Darcy attempted, but the "r" was much more guttural than the way he had said it. It felt wrong in her mouth. 
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

"Watch it, you runt!" Askan snapped, not willing to tolerate her insolence."Don't talk shit about things you don't know."

What did she expect? She'd insulted his home, did she really think he would let it slide? Foolish girl. Askan was guilty of this as well, so he shouldn't really judge, but he couldn't help but think that this girl had no mind to mouth filter. She just said what was on her mind and didn't give a damn about the consequences.Well, if she kept bad mouthing his home he'd show her the error of her ways. But for now, he merely bristled as his tail lashed behind him.

The conversation quickly moved onto a lighter, more agreeable topic. Only then did Askan relax his posture, even if only a little. So it wasn't the same language then? Oh. He had hoped that she would have been able to teach him a word or two, but it was not to be. Sure, he could have asked his mate but that sort of defeated the purpose. He wanted to know what he was saying, what he meant when they were curled up close, side by side in their den. Asking him would ruin the moment so he never bothered.

He didn't really care for her language, or where this grotto was but the fact that it was to the north...Well, it hit a nerve. Of course it did. Clearing his throat, he quickly shooed away those sad, terrible thoughts and turned his attention to the bratty wolf before him.

"No idea. My friend speaks another language, sort of like yours? He comes from way down south, far away from here.Why'd you leave this grotto if it was so great huh?"

She hadn't said as much, but Askan was a petty soul. She had insulted his home, so he couldn't help but make a dig at hers in return.

Inactive No Rank
Darcy Renoir
Darcy flinched, of course she did, but showed him her teeth when he was done flapping his tongue around. It wasn't like he offered her any insight on what made his home so great. So what choice did she have to assume that it was probably as boring as it sounded and she wanted nothing to do with it? Rye fields. Pft. The lake seemed better. The temptation to prattle on about how dumb it sounded was so very tempting, but there were more interesting things at paw, like this whole language thing he had gotten her on. 

Apparently his friend spoke a language, too. Except they lived in completely opposite directions. So, he didn't even know the language. Useless! He was really an absolute wealth of information, wasn't he? Askan you will not receive, apparently. Ha. Haha.

"It wasn't that great. Everyone treated me like a baby. Just cause I'm small doesn't mean I'm a child," She growled at the ground, snapping her teeth together. Stupid brothers, stupid mom, stupid dad, stupid everyone. Maybe if they hadn't been so sweet and coddled her all the time, she'd still be there. They could howl all they wanted. Darcy was gone and she wasn't coming back. Looking back up at Askan, she narrowed her eyes as though to reiterate what she had just said. She wasn't a child. Stop treating her like one.
(This post was last modified: Jul 14, 2017, 06:43 PM by Darcy.)