(See All?) Announcements
501 Users Online
Aven, Bing, Google, Sophrosnia, Magg

A good day to have a good day — Chinook Coulee 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Holly who has 8 posts.
Inactive
Arcturus Nox
OOC: Hey, thanks for agreeing to thread! I am hoping to set this as 'officially' a day or two from now, just to give him time to have made it from the north. If that's not ok, just let me know!

Mist. Arcturus hated mist. It was cold and wet, and not in a nice refreshing way, but in a way that got all into your fur and made it all stick together. It wasn’t even as though it was a miserable day. It had seemed overcast yet still fairly bright when Arty had set off this morning, but mist seemed to cling to this area in a very weird way. He didn’t like the way he couldn’t see much until he was almost upon it. Large shadows loomed out at him that turned out to be only large rocks or fallen trees. It was very eerie.

Still, Arty plodded on, the sounds of his massive paws muffled by long grasses. It was a peaceful morning, with only few birds chirping overhead as company. It was weird for him to be a loner after spending so many years as part of a pack, even weirder to be travelling through a place so well-travelled by other wolves, yet not being challenged or chased away. But then, this place was so large it seemed the packs could live relatively peacefully amongst one another. It was quite different to his homelands where brawls over borders broke out relatively frequently… Arty sighed and pushed those memories away. He could well be visited by ghosts that haunted these lands, he didn’t need to invite his own to the party.

The wind picked up and Arty lifted his scarred snout to meet it. Water. Fresh water. He paused a moment to consider his options before beginning to pick his way down the slope. There were certainly scent trails running along from pack wolves, but they weren’t anywhere near strong enough to indicate he was heading directly towards their borders. Water could mean fish, and while it wasn’t his favourite of foods he was a big guy that needed plenty of sustenance. Food was food.

Arty’s long legs made quick work of the descent, and as he went his bright yellows picked up more and more of his surroundings, before he realised he was moving out of the mist and into a fairly lush canyon filled with tall evergreens with a creek cutting through it. The sound of water gurgling over the rocks brought a slight smile to his lips, and his tail waved lazily behind him. It was a beautiful, peaceful place… at least, it was.

He paid not much more attention to who could be around and instead laughed joyfully, bounding the remaining distance and launching himself into the air, landing with a huge splash. The cold water pierced through his fur, and he rose spluttering and laughing. It was a good day to have a good day, and get out of that blasted mist.  
Played by Switch who has 205 posts.
Inactive VI. Subordinate
Lila Aquila
As I was writing this I imagine the view of the creek is obstructed with small willows, tall grass so she couldn't see him first hand.

Resting against a mid-sized oak, her eyes closed, and ears tipped back she was meditating. Or at least trying. She kept hearing the quarrel of the resident squirrels. Bickering over who had the best pine cone, or place to hide them she assumed. An annoyed huff she shifted position, finding that the chatter had died off. Finally. Taking in a long breath, she felt her rigid muscles relax. Squeak! EEK! A growl built in her throat, as she hauled herself up to her feet. If the little buggers weren't so fast she'd make them be quiet.

With a stiff stride, she trotted through the familiar blue mist, pausing once when she thought she heard someone else. It must have been another damn squirrel, rushing from one tree to the next. She really needed a distraction. With ease she crossed the Bend's borders, heading further up the creek. She rather listen to it any day, and maybe she could find something worth pursuing. Something with hooves.

Light steps, she kept scenting the air when she heard an off sound. It sounded like laughter, but, where... Splash! Flinching, she lowered her frame, waiting for something to pop out of the water. She'd be ready for whatever it was. But, after a moment she could only hear the continuation of water being sloshed around...and more laughing??

Ears tipped up, she still wasn't sure if it truly was. Anything could get obscured by the water. Then, she thought of Reginald, and rolled her eyes at herself. It was probably just him, goofing around. So far he didn't seem like nothing to worry about. With her guard dropped, she weaved between the long overgrowth and tiny, young willows, a retort on her tongue.

It was definitely not the white wolf. The yearling's mouth hung open, confusion evident on her dark facade. It was a rather large,male wolf she'd never seen before. His hair was too brown, and there was no matching white patch. She was frozen, clearly not prepared for anything. The thought was all it took for her to shift her weight between her two front paws, and close her mouth. A better collected appearance, and she remembered how he'd likely been laughing. Her mind went straight to the worst. Was he mental? Or just one of those happy go lucky fellows?

"You always so excited about water?" She managed to call out, hoping to narrow down the choices, and his probable threat level.
Played by Holly who has 8 posts.
Inactive
Arcturus Nox
There was something freeing about splashing about in the water. It reminded him of playing him in the river with his siblings. Nowadays, it was rare indeed that Arty let loose and behaved like a pup, even more rare that he was caught at it. Indeed, he was brought sharply back to earth, or the creek, when a voice called out to him. You always so excited about water?

"Whaaaa--" he spluttered, managing to inhale a mouthful of water at the same time in shock. Not wanting to make a fool out of himself and, you know, drown because someone had startled him with a simple question Arty struck out toward the bank. It was only a few swift short strokes by which time Arty had mostly got his trying to not drown situation under control.

As he pulled himself out of the water, his dark fur streaming, he got a good look at who had approached. It was a younger girl, with dark fur and piercing blue eyes. She was looking at him like he was some kind of crazy. Perhaps he was. He was a few metres away from her along the bank, and hoped it was far enough away to not spook her.

"Ah, not really t'be honest. Jus' glad t'be outta that mist. It's all eerie. Is it always that way?" Arty quirked a smile and lazily waved his tail behind him. What he wanted to say was 'I'm friendly, honest! Just your wandering big friendly giant!' but what he went with instead was "I'm Arcturus, but that's a bit of a mouthful, so you can call me Arty."
Played by Switch who has 205 posts.
Inactive VI. Subordinate
Lila Aquila

If she would have known this fellow she may have laughed. Catching him off guard and all. She didn't have the slightest idea of who he was, and pushed away the small grin of amusement that had twitched momentarily on her lips. It was easier as he scrambled out of the creek, his eyes off her for a moment. Until she could see he was taking her in from his distance. Good. At least he had proper social skills.

"I see," she replied, feeling she was more comfortable with that explanation. But, there was a crease in her brow. These woods eerie? "I suppose its just the way they have always been. I find it more comforting than eerie. I guess I don't mind the ghosts." There was a more natural smile, hint she was half teasing. Why she felt a little less tense he was the friendly sort. She couldn't entirely drop her guard. It was and likely would always be her second skin. Something she was comfortable wearing regardless.

"Arty," she tested on her tongue. "I'm Lila of Oak Tree Bend." This was harmless information, and he ought to know there was a pack about. She cocked her crown, venturing to ask, "Where is it you're wandering to?" She wasn't confident of asking such a forward question, but had made an effort to hide that little tidbit.

Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
Shallow water has trapped several fish in a small pond. Hunt Opportunity