(See All?) Announcements
719 Users Online
Bing, Google, Vanadis, Neo

Mistaking smoke for heaven's light — Hearthwood River 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Becca who has 232 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Laike Artemieva
Surprise? Laike needs to talk to @Lachesis. || RE: Violent thunderstorms overtake Relic Lore. || Early morning, Thunderstorms, 53°F, 12°C

"I felt a break in a sacred place
Where your hands don't heal
These are the reasons you're ruled
By the things you feel"
- Stomach It by Crywolf

LAIKE ARTEMIEVA

That morning he had been woken up by droplets making their way through the forest canopy overhead. Thunder followed suit and soon enough the drops became heavier and fell faster. It had not been the wake he was looking for but it was better than nothing. With a soft huff, the male pushed himself up and began to head closer towards the heart of the River pack.

It seemed almost comical that the weather was matching his state of mind. Each day things seemed to get cloudier and cloudier. He felt like he was some sort of ghost floating about Hearthwood. He did his jobs each day before laying down for the evening. In all honesty, he didn't need more but that didn't mean he didn't want for more. There was a whole world out there that he had barely caught a glance of before settling down here. The two wolves he had originally met and grown comfortable with were now dead and gone. He still appreciated those around but after everything, it simply wasn't the same. The large second kept telling himself that was selfish thinking but maybe it wasn't.

This was going to hurt but he had to pull the bandage off or the wound would never breathe and heal properly. He stood on the outskirts of the communal den area drenched by the current storm and slowly tipped his head back asking for the pale leader, Lachesis.

art by kydnt
[Image: wrf_sig_by_becuffin-dax4am3.png]
have you checked out my player preferences?
Played by Arla who has 1,399 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark

Rain season had begun. The clouds overhead had shifted, great plumes of smokey grey overtaking the clear blue that stretched over the lands of Lore. They had darkened overnight, turning an ugly shade of ebony, before the rain had begun to plummet toward the ground. The rain did not bother him—it never did. He worried for the children, for they were more susceptible to colds, but he knew it was inevitable. There was no use in keeping them confined to the dens. At five months of age their paws had obtained the itch that never left the ghost. Exploring and getting into trouble was something they had perfected.

He was surprised to hear the pale second call for him. Like his brother, the Artemieva kept himself busy, tending to his duties and doing his best to provide for the pack. Lachesis allowed him to wander west whenever he requested to do so, as he wanted to reward Laike for his honesty. Perhaps it was why he was being summoned. Another visit.

When the call sounded the pale, lanky leader had been hovering around the river’s edge, observing the onslaught of fish that had arrived in the slow-moving water. The fish can wait, he told himself as he redirected his path, returning to the communal dens to answer the call.

“Good morning.” He greeted the fiery-eyed male, a soft smile carved into his dark lips. What concerned Lachesis was the worried lines that were etched into Laike’s pale features. But he did not push for answers. He would receive them soon enough. 

(This post was last modified: Oct 05, 2017, 12:34 AM by Lachesis.)
[Image: ds_by_a_yellow_bird-dc337jk.png]
stick with those who stick with you
Inactive No Rank
Laike Artemieva

LAIKE ARTEMIEVA

The ghost was admirable with his quick arrival and kind greeting. It made this whole thing harder really. Laike had been shown nothing but kindness from the male. He allowed him to wander west in order to see Adelayde - a huge act of kindness in the Artemieva's eyes. It was for Lachesis, at least a little bit, that his relationship with the Rye female had not died.

"Morning." He kindly responded back and nodded his head softly. "I was hoping I could talk to you about something." Now how did he go about saying it? Laike knew he could be blunt and to the point about it but he wanted to make the whole thing easier. Hearthwood River had already lost a good bit in just his time here alone.

"You cause more damage by dragging it out."

His mind was always there to chime in and remind him to focus on reality. It was a blessing, really. "I don't think I belong here anymore." Laike said it in a soft tone, fiery eyes searching for a green look of understanding. Would this be like with Malek? Would he be chased out and gain more scars? Lachesis didn't seem like that kind of man but the large male knew that not everyone was who they seemed. "I'm sorry." Laike wanted to elaborate more but he simply couldn't, not yet at least. There was a pawful of things to be sorry for but what if Lachesis wanted him gone right away? Then there was no point in explaining them.

art by kydnt
Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark

His ears twitched at the younger male’s voice, his tongue slack as his maw fell to the side, inviting the male to divulge further. The river second looked troubled, causing a lump to form in Lachesis’ throat. His stomach churned as he grew more impatient, but he did not allow it to show. As per usual the ghost remained stoic, his features smooth; calm.

And then the male spoke, his words soft; cautious.

A sigh escaped the lanky cloud as a small smile tugged at his dark lips, his ears sweeping backward.

He should have known this was coming.

Distance certainly made the heart grow fonder. The visits between Laike and his lady friend in the Rye had grown more frequent. Somewhere, in the back of his mind, XIX had been expecting this. Part of him had hoped that the female who had captured the Artemieva’s affection would make her way to the river, seeking refuge among the redwoods. It had been wishful thinking. Not everything went the way he wanted it to go, unfortunately. But it was okay. Hearthwood would be okay.

I’m sorry. He exhaled sharply out of his nose at the apology and dismissed it with a sharp shake of his head, his sonars returning to their previous position high atop his skull. “Don’t apologize, Laike,” he said, finally, the smile still pressed to his lips. “I had a feeling you’d be leaving soon.” He sighed once more. Not out of frustration or anger. But out of relief that it was not something worse. “I don’t want you to leave, of course, but I can’t make you stay. As much as I’d like to.” A laugh accompanied his words, his head tipping to the side once more. “Are you going to her?”

Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
Shallow water has trapped several fish in a small pond. Hunt Opportunity
Inactive No Rank
Laike Artemieva

LAIKE ARTEMIEVA

His apology was dismissed and for a moment he held his breath wondering what was to come. He wasn't met with sharp teeth or even sharp words. Lachesis was too kind even in these moments. How did he manage to do it?

A small smile found his ebony lips. "That's the plan but I suppose I won't know if she wants me to stay permanently until I get there. I half suggested she come here but she loves the Rye too much." He softly laughed as his eyes found the forest floor between them. He wasn't mad at @Adelayde for her choice to stay in the Rye. Laike knew she loved that place and it was her family. So he was doing what he had to do in order to make things work better. He was cutting his own ties here in order to go build new ones with her.

A silence fell between the two males as Laike debated asking something. It wasn't anything huge really but he still weighed it around for a brief moment. "Can I come visit every now and then? You all...mean a lot to me." His brows furrowed together for a brief moment before he looked back up at the pale face of Lachesis.

art by kydnt
Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark

It made sense, why Adelayde wouldn’t move. If she had been with the Rye wolves since they settled in the lowlands she could not be persuaded to leave so easily, even if it was to be with the man she cared most about. Not only did she had an obligation to them, but they were also her family. Laike had not been part of Hearthwood long; therefore, he did not have the same obligations as Adelayde did. While he made his mark on the river wolves, and would be missed terribly, his loyalties remained flexible. Lachesis could not fault him for that. Not for pursuing a future with someone. It would be selfish and pointless to be angry. At least the Artemieva was choosing to be honest instead of fleeing into the night.

“I would hope she would,” he laughed in response, his expression soft; kind. “The forest certainly isn’t for everyone. At least you tried.” He shrugged at his own words, a smile still tugging at his mouth.

The brief silence started to make the ghost anxious, his brows furrowing slightly as he searched his brain for something to say; something to fill the uncomfortable air between them. However Laike beat him to it, and the question took the older male by surprise. He nodded, fast and sharp. “Of course. You’re always welcome here.” That was the truth. It pained the ghost to see the tawny male leave, but he knew he was going to even if Lachesis protested. “You’re going to be missed. I am going to miss you. So yes, please visit. And I’ll be sure to make my way over to you as well.” 

Inactive No Rank
Laike Artemieva

LAIKE ARTEMIEVA

He had never been one for small talk but this here - the small banter about living arangements with his girlfriend(?) - felt alright. Laike had warmed up to Lachesis more than he had realized. The pale leader was a good man and friend. Maybe he would get emotional about it later but for now, he simply smiled and nodded his head. "Thought maybe I could convince her by showing her the scenery when she was here. Show her it isn't just a bunch of trees." He held back a soft chuckle. Maybe the Ethos hadn't been enough, maybe he hadn't asked properly. It was more likely the second one than it was the first.

"You're always welcome here."

This wasn't like how he left home. This wasn't being chased away by someone close to him. This was a tender goodbye between friends, packmates, leader and second. Or so that was how it felt to the large male. "I...I'm going to miss you too." It had to be said because it was true and he would regret it if he didn't say it now (even if there might be another shot in the future). "Make sure Lorcan behaves for me? Don't want him giving you too much trouble with me away." A sly smile tugged on his face.

art by kydnt
Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark

He laughed at the tawny male’s comment. “But it is just a bunch of trees,” he countered with a sharp wink, his maw canted to the side. Good trees.” But not everyone was fond of living beneath a canopy of branches. Lachesis could understand the appeal of living in the tundra—he had spent the first year of his life in one. But since arriving in the lands of Lore after heading south Lachesis had gotten used to the trees and found comfort in them. Not all wolves adapted so quickly—or at all. Laike could not force his lady-friend to leave her home, just like XIX could not force him to stay. It was a bothersome predicament but neither party could do anything about it.

It was just the way it was. Unfortunately.

The ghost had never been good at goodbye’s. That was mostly due to the fact that most wolves that had once been close to him left without a goodbye, or any type of explanation. He was used to wolves disappearing. But not this.

He didn’t know which one he preferred.

“If he starts becoming a problem I’ll call for you,” he laughed, the corners of his eyes crinkling in amusement. XIX didn’t even know if Lorcán was capable of being a nuisance. Like his brother, the healer was loyal and (usually) abided by the rules, doing whatever necessary to provide for the pack. “Say hi to Askan and Reyes for me? I miss those shitheads.” He laughed again, warm and genuine.

He was trying to stretch out the conversation—something he seldom did. It was because he wasn’t ready for Laike to leave. Not yet. 

(This post was last modified: Oct 07, 2017, 05:04 AM by Lachesis.)
Inactive No Rank
Laike Artemieva

LAIKE ARTEMIEVA

"Could argue they're the best trees." He wasn't sure if that was true but he certainly liked this forest. Even with the rain beating down through the branches they still did their best to protect the wolves that lived here. Of course, Laike had gotten damp throughout the conversation with Lachesis but it could easily be shrugged off. He did hope that the river didn't flood with all of this rain coming in. It left him with an unsettling feeling but there was nothing he could do now.

The joking about Lorcan was all meant in good nature. Certainly, his brother would catch wind soon of his departure and either have a hissy fit or feel relief. Who knew what their relationship was with everything that kept happening between them. "Of course." He smiled softly and nodded his head. Laike wasn't sure he had ever heard Lachesis curse so casually - or even at all. He didn't mind it of course. The large male was one for cursing here and there.

He dug his claws into the damp ground a little bit before relaxing some. "One more walk together?" A pale brow raised as he asked in a rather knightly, manly way to be walked out of Hearthwood River. A few more moments with Lachesis was all he needed...

art by kydnt

fade with your next post?
(This post was last modified: Oct 10, 2017, 01:17 AM by Laike.)