(See All?) Announcements
642 Users Online
Google, Bing

Through the Good, Through the Bad, and Ugly — Panorama Peak 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Emmett who has 375 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Cottongrass
Backdated to October 4th. Let's just say Cottongrass has been missing for the past month. So I don't have to worry about backdating anymore threads and figuring out his timeline. For @Reyes <3

He was lost.

It was practically an art form at this point. Because one second he was telling @Rayza that he would be right back. The journey back to Wild Rye Fields was taking longer than he expected and he just wanted to grab them both something to eat. A sprained ankle was bad enough. He didn't need to give Rayza more reasons to need a healer like malnutrition or something. But apparently he zoned out or lost track of time because the next second he was lost in the middle of nowhere with the sun already setting. He didn't know if Rayza left him behind or if he left Rayza behind. For all he knew it could have been a mixture of both.

That all happened weeks ago.

What followed next could only be described as pure torture. He was lost in the middle of nowhere with thick forest and countless mountains that were no doubt trying to kill him at every chance they could get. And sure! He eventually found his way out of the northwestern forests he used to call home but that had taken forever. The leaves on the tree had long since turned orange and piled on the ground. When he left the leaves were only starting to change colour!

But that wasn't the worst part. The worst part was that he didn't know if anyone from Wild Rye Fields noticed he was gone in the first place. Did they even care that he just magically disappeared from the face of the earth one day? And—

Oh no.

Would they even accept him back into the pack? He knew he wasn't the best pack member. Not in a long shot. But they still liked him, right? Jessie and Drestig sort of let him do whatever he wanted to do whenever he wanted to. But that had to count for something. Maybe Askan and Reyes could vouch for him. They were friends! They wouldn't forget about him... Right? And maybe they never found him but that was okay. He didn't need finding! Not when he somehow managed to get himself out of the forest and onto a mountain that give him a good view of the land all by himself.

He was also pretty sure those barren trees looked familiar. Which of course meant that Wild Rye Fields couldn't be that far. Everything would be okay! He just had to find his way back to pack territory and beg for forgiveness. And maybe if he groveled extra hard they would give him his spot back. He could even promise them that he wouldn't leave pack territory ever again just in case! Who needed the great outdoors? Not him!

His paws stumbled to a halt. The isolation just might have been getting at him but he ignored those thoughts. He forced himself to breathe as he continued to survey the surrounding land from his spot atop the mountain. All he had to do was focus on finding his way back to Wild Rye Fields. He could deal with the rest later. Maybe he could even find and save Rayza, again.

The urge to panic and break down only doubled.

COTTONGRASS
(This post was last modified: Oct 07, 2017, 01:59 PM by Cottongrass.)
Played by Ace who has 510 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Reyes

Cotton’s ability to get lost was almost legendary. Reyes had noticed when the kid didn’t appear for a pack meeting; at first, he thought maybe he was lazy, or being a little ornery. But his scent started to fade and he worried, and he sought out any sign. Anything. But it was like Cottongrass had spirited away – or maybe he had tried to escape and cover his trails. The doubt crept in; and after the doubt came everything else, and then Askan, and then—

Well, here he was, heading east with his mate and the skin on his bones. It sucked to abandon his den, the little collection they put together; his friends. He’d miss Aleksei the most, he thought, but after Jessie had called Askan stupid… Everything changed. Those were not the kind of alphas he’d work for, ever, and once it came to light that his partner actual felt the same way…

Reyes shook out his thick winter coat, trudging up the slope when the sound of heavy breathing caught his ears. He tipped his head and hunkered down; he was upwind, couldn’t smell it. But maybe it was an injured goat, something he could bring back. Sustain them for a few more days. He slipped behind a bush, legs about to coil and spring, and—

“Cotton!?”

REYES | Dead man walking.

[Image: se_sig_by_becuffin-dbuushz.png]
Inactive Deceased
Cottongrass

He didn't know what he was doing. It was becoming more and more obvious with each passing second and he was scared. Because nothing looked familiar. The trees just looked like trees with skeletal branches and some still had clumps of bright orange leaves clinging to them but that didn't help him any. Not when he was trying to find his way back to Wild Rye Fields. Was that too much to ask for? It was probably too much to ask for. His frown deepened and he was tempted to start whining at the skies above for help. It never worked before but maybe this time it would.

Except he never got a chance to enact his master plan of panicking and crying all while rolling on the ground like a puppy during a temper tantrum.

Someone called his name.

His head snapped towards the sound. From a nearby bush there stood a wolf. One that was dark and stocky with light grey eyes that he could recognize any day. His reaction was instantaneous.

"Reyes, Reyes, Reyes!" He barked. His fluffy white tail started wagging like it might never get a chance to wag again. And without another moment of hesitation—Cottongrass launched himself forward on clumsy feet. Because like hell was he going to stay still when the best wolf in the whole entire universe had finally come and saved his sorry ass. His excitement was overwhelming. Even when he pressed himself against Reyes' front and started pressing countless licks and kisses to the man's chin.

He was just so happy! His rear end even started to wiggle about and he stamped his paws all while continuing his loving assault.

"You found me! I've been found!" He barked in between licks. Like this was Reyes' master plan all along and he loved it. "I was so lost! I was in that forest, that forest where we tried looking for Victoria before she left me. Except there was just so much trees and I didn't know where I was going and—" His yellow eyes widened. "There was this guy! Rayza! His paw was sprained and I tried to help him but I lost him and—" They had to go back for him. He didn't want to abandon Rayza now that Reyes was there to help him keep his head straight. Reyes was good at being a hero. Way better than he would ever be. But he was getting ahead of himself. He forced his racing thoughts to still and he settled for leaning against Reyes instead of lovingly attacking.

"I just really missed you." He sighed into thick fur.

COTTONGRASS
Inactive No Rank
Reyes

Yep. Definitely Cotton.

Even if he was mildly disappointed there was nothing to fill his belly with, it was real damn good to see the kid after he’d disappeared. He might have had something to say to kid, but it was awful hard to get mad when the little white wolf pressed up against him, kisses and licks like he was the biggest damn savior in the entire world. Damn, but Cottongrass might give a guy a complex treating him so nice.

“Hey, hey, slow down, mijo. I ain’t going anywhere.”

It came as no surprise to Reyes that the yearling had gotten lost again, though he was…glad? Maybe? To hear that the younger wolf was meeting others. Being helpful. Finding some kind of purpose in his life. And being found, that was good too. His tail gave loose swings behind, content to allow the smaller wolf to press closer like some sort of heat leach – he might deserve it, just today though. And he definitely wasn’t going to say that out loud. “So, uh – Kana and I have left Wild Rye. Just…wasn’t right. Me an’ him were the only ones lookin’ for you, and Jessie called Askan stupid--” He bristled at the memory of it. “It wasn’t right. So, uh…yeah. We aren’t there anymore.”

Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
There is a deer that was killed by a lynx nearby. +10 Health
Inactive Deceased
Cottongrass

Reyes was the best. There was no doubt about it and Cottongrass couldn't believe his luck when it came down to best friends. Because everything about the man before him amazing. From his scarred features and pale grey eyes to even his personality. It was enough to have Cottongrass' tail wagging like crazy behind him and his jaws parted in a goofy smile while he pressed in close to his friend's chest.

But it didn't last.

The upbeat atmosphere didn't last and Cottongrass wasn't even sure why he bothered most of the time. Because Reyes kept talking and it was sort of like every single spoken word was another swift kick to the ribs and stomach. His expression faltered and his excited movements stuttered to a halt. He felt himself pull back from Reyes' front even when all he wanted to do was press even closer. Reyes and Askan were leaving Wild Rye Fields. Jessie called Askan stupid. He didn't know what he was supposed to do with that information.

"Where — where're you guys going?" He finally managed. It was the only thing he could say without giving away his internal monologue. The insecure one that wanted to ask if he could tag along because he only joined Wild Rye Fields to be with them. But the idea of rejection was far too scary and so he kept quiet. Maybe Reyes would pick up on his mood and invite him. Maybe he was being left behind again. He forced himself to keep still and be patient.

COTTONGRASS
Inactive No Rank
Reyes

“Don’t look at me like that.”

Dios mio, what a little shit. Reyes narrowed his eyes in a squint, tail swishing behind him as he watched the younger wolf shuffle around. First of all, he wasn’t going to leave the kid on this stupid rock anyways, but even if he had considered it, what was with that face? They were friends, weren’t they? On some level, he wanted to give the other loner a whack upside the head – but then Cottongrass went still, and he was forced to reconsider.

Maybe the kid was growing up. Even if just a little. Maybe he’d helped with that – the thought was enough to make the corner of his mouth tick up on one side, the tip of his tail giving a little wiggle. “Askan and I are heading east. I think he invited Percy, too. And I found this kid-- But anyways. We’re going east, not to Hearthwood. Gonna see what else is out there. I found waterfall caves, once; seems as good a place to start as any.”

And then, because sometimes he wondered whether or not Cotton had the ability to read between the lines, “You can come too, if you want. With that Rayza guy, if he’s around.”

Inactive Deceased
Cottongrass
Sorry for the wait! <3

Reyes spoke and Cottongrass felt embarrassment flood his system. Because what was wrong with the way he looked?! And — truth be told — he didn't know for sure what kind of expression he was making just than but he assumed it was very fitting for the atmosphere at hand. He was trying to hold it together! Which meant he was putting on his best brave face because he didn't understand what was happening and what it meant for his future. Reyes and Askan were leaving Wild Rye Fields. It involved Jessie calling Askan stupid. He understood that much even though he wanted to bark at Jessie until the world ended for her grave offence. Askan wasn't stupid! He was one of the smartest wolves in the whole entire world and Cottongrass' best friend.

But that part didn't matter.

Not when the rest of what Reyes' said felt like nonsense. Nothing more than a pile of disconnected dots that he knew he wouldn't understand until someone rearranged them for him because he was slow like that sometimes. His two best friends were heading east. Someone named Percy was included. Reyes found a kid. He and Rayza were invited. And —

Wait.

His mind stumbled over the last part and he struggled to rewind his thoughts. Because there was no way Reyes would just speak the magic words he was waiting for. He knew from experience that his friend was nice but never that nice. His yellow eyes widened and he felt his heart skip a beat. He couldn't help the way his tail started wagging in an excited frenzy behind him.

"D'you —" The words were clogging up in his throat but he forced himself to keep trying. "D'you mean it? Me and Rayza can come? You won't mind?" The day was all over the place and he didn't know if he was supposed to wallow in the depressing lows or start frolicking in the amazing highs. He decided to just roll with the punches and hope for the best. His friends wouldn't toy with him that much. He trusted them with everything he had.

COTTONGRASS
Inactive No Rank
Reyes

“Yeah, I mean it. Why wouldn’t I mean it?”

Sometimes Cotton really confused him – the idea that wolves would make offers they didn’t mean… Yes, okay, fine, they did that all the time, but Reyes made a habit of conserving his words, only sparing the ones he actually meant. His brows furrowed together, ears out to the side as the studied the excitable white wolf for a few more moments, his tail wagging behind him slowly. “I mean, as long as this Rayza guy isn’t crazy or anything. Sure. Bring him along. Brought you to Wild Rye Fields, didn’t I? So yeah. Find your friend, and then head east. That’s where me and Askan and the others are going.”

He still kind of wished Neko had come, too, but he wasn’t a shithead. Wasn’t going to steal from Drestig though. “Think you can find your way if I leave you to find your friend first?”

Inactive Deceased
Cottongrass

There were moments where Cottongrass remembered just how good his best friends were to him. Because Reyes was honest and kind. And maybe not in the way most wolves were since the man was more than a little rough around the edges but Cottongrass didn't mind. Not once in his whole entire life did he mind Reyes' behaviour. His tail wagged and a goofy smile spread across his features. He couldn't help but reach out and brush his muzzle into dark fur before leaning back into his own personal space.

"You're the best." He meant it. And he wasn't that good with words unless he wanted to spend the day stuttering and stammering but he was sure Reyes understood. Because sometimes he felt dumb and insecure but his friend was always there with a few blunt words that he needed to hear. Askan and Reyes were heading east. He and Rayza were invited. His friend meant what he said. Cottongrass nodded his head.

"Yeah." He would find them again. It might take a few days but he was determined to not lose them again. His ears twitched and his head cocked to the side while his tail gave a few slow wags. "See you again in a few days?"

COTTONGRASS