'Cause All These Plans I've Been Making — Perilous Void 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Emmett who has 375 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Cottongrass
Backdated to October 5th. For @Rory :D

There was a hole in the ground.

It was squeaking.

Cottongrass was pretty sure he was losing his mind. Because random holes in the ground weren't supposed to make noises. They weren't supposed to squeak like some kind of tiny little animal that needed help. But the sound wouldn't stop. Not even when he tilted his head one way and then another while his ears fanned out like his very own personal satellite dishes. Instead the noise just kept happening and he was pretty sure there was more than one little creature just chirping away down there.

To say he was confused was a gross understatement. He was bewildered and befuddled. Maybe even puzzled because everything about the situation was that weird. And he couldn't help but get the sneaking suspicion that he should have listened to Askan like a good wolf the other day. His plan to find Rayza was a lost cause. He was hopeless and cursed with bad luck and that was never a good combination of traits for him to have. But he couldn't bring himself to back away from the mysterious squeaking hole.

His tail gave an uncertain wag behind him. He stepped closer towards the crevice. And with the utmost patience — Cottongrass dropped onto his stomach and crawled right towards the lip of the underground cave. It was dark. He couldn't see anything and the squeaking only seemed to grow louder when he picked out the sound of trickling water. Everything he was doing was a mistake. He could feel it in his bones. For all he knew there was some kind of horrible wolf eating monster waiting just out of sight. But sometimes being a hero meant taking risks. Like shoving his muzzle into random underground caves even when instinct told him not to.

"Rayza?" He called down into the darkness.

There was a pause. The briefest of pauses and Cottongrass was sure he imagined it. But he didn't get a chance to think about it. Not when the squeaking and chattering was replaced by the sound of a million little wings all flapping at once. What followed next was a descent into pure anarchy as the mouth of the cave exploded with thousands of bats all looking to get away. His panicked yelp and frantic scramble backwards was drowned out in the blur of sound.

COTTONGRASS
Played by Hero who has 217 posts.
Inactive IV. Subordinate
Aurora Thanne
@Cottongrass  I <3 Cotton! :D
i don't even know if i believe
Aurora Thanne

Her head cocked to the side and her eyes grew as wide as saucers as she watched a mysterious darkness take over the skies in the form of a hundred or so bats. She ducked, purely from instinct, and watched as they flew frantically away from whatever creature had spooked them, shrieking and chirping as they went with wind rushing beneath their wings a million miles per second. It didn't take long for the creatures to find a new refuge and before long the chatter had ended to be replaced by an eerie silence that didn't sent a chill down her spine, for curiosity got the best of her and she followed the direction from which they came.

There were plenty of possible reasons for the bats frantic escape but Rory was hardly concerned about what could happen and instead was intrigued by whom had caused the ruckus and followed it until the white form of a wolf standing near the mouth of a strange hole caught her eye and she studied her company for a moment or two, attempting to remember them before excitement finally took over. "Cotton, what are you doing out this way?! she wondered aloud, lopping toward the wolf and securing him in a warm embrace before stepping back to assess him further. He looked good especially from this distance and she found herself lost in his vibrant eyes the color of the hottest sun rays, wondering what he had been up to since their last encounter. It felt like ages! "was that you causing that ruckus?" she wondered, nudging him softly before realizing that he could have gotten hurt in the aftermath and gave him the once over. "You weren't hurt were you? she asked, hoping he replied with a no and finally, having smothered him enough, she fell back to her haunches and allowed him the opportunity to speak.

(This post was last modified: Nov 13, 2017, 07:29 AM by Rory.)
Graphics by Arya and Becuffin!

Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
Shallow water has trapped several fish in a small pond. Hunt Opportunity
Inactive Deceased
Cottongrass
@Rory <3 Always making me and Cotton's day brighter one post at a time~

He was dead.

He was absolutely dead and, you know what? The gods were dead too. It would explain the anarchy that had manifested out of nowhere to wreak havoc and swallow the world whole in a mass of dark, angry squeaking. His ears rolled back against his skull and he prepared for the worst. Because this was it. He would open his eyes and there would be darkness and a tunnel of light coming down towards him. Or maybe the ground would tremble and shake before tearing open and swallowing him whole. His tail gave a panicked wag and he did his best to make himself smaller.

The sensation of a million tiny wings slapping at his face and shoulders was a strange one but like hell was he going to open his eyes and take a peek. He didn't even open his eyes when the squeaking and slapping stopped because the world was probably just waiting for the moment he let his guard down to destroy him. But nothing happened. Instead there was an eerie silence. One that was broken by a voice calling his name and the thunder of approaching paws.

He stood up. His head swivelled towards the sound and a bright smile immediately broke across his once panicked features.

"Rory!" He chirped. His tail wagged like crazy and he let her come close without hesitation. She was soft and warm and definitely alive. Laughter bubbled up from in between his parted jaws and he ruffled his fur while he pressed against her. It didn't stop until she pulled back. He took a moment to look her over. White fur and yellow eyes. But that wasn't important. The important part was the concern across her features. He reached out to give her a nudge with his muzzle.

"'m fine!" The sheer terror he felt during the situation was gone. Fading with each passing second because his friend was there and he could probably conquer the whole entire world as long as someone was by his side. "I just thought someone I knew was down there." The down there part being what was apparently a bat infested cave.

"But it was just bats." He gave the entrance of the underground cave a pointed frown. But it didn't last long. Not when a goofy smile crept across his features and he couldn't help but look at her with stars in his eyes. It was good to see her again. Last time they met it was one of the hottest summer days and he was still a part of Wild Rye Fields. Now it was fall and he was technically a lone wolf. But yet he wasn't alone. Not when he had Askan and Reyes and maybe even Rory around. Things had a funny way of drastically changing when he wasn't looking.

COTTONGRASS
Inactive IV. Subordinate
Aurora Thanne
^_^

Aurora Thanne

He took to her touch rather well, allowing her to embrace him and smoother him before finally they parted ways. It was good to see that he was doing well even despite the ruckus he'd caused and she wanted to know everything he had been up to.  "What wolf do you think is small enough to fit in that cave Cotton?!" she wondered jokingly. Perhaps it was Askan, a wolf she knew that he fancied rather well, or perhaps it was a new wolf he met, someone he'd grown closer to since the last they were around each other. The latter part tugged at her heart, a tingle of jealousy threatened to bubble up but she suppressed it with hopes that he didn't notice. She technically had no business wondering whom he was looking for, but a huge part of her was curious to know who this wolf was that had him searching in a bat filled cave. They must be important.

"Bats are disgusting. What do they do anyway?" she joked further, her tongue rolled from her mouth in a disgusted frown before she forgot to ask the question that had suddenly popped in her head; what was he doing this far out? "Is the wolf you're looking for lost? I would expect to see the whole of the Rye to be looking for them too and not send you off alone..." it was a loaded question that she hoped he would answer.  

(This post was last modified: Nov 14, 2017, 05:47 AM by Rory.)

Inactive Deceased
Cottongrass

There was no denying it.

Rory was the best at everything she did. From making him laugh to even just existing. She had the whole entire world stumped in both categories and Cottongrass couldn't even begin to understand how she did it. His tail dragged through the air behind him and he let out a hoot of laughter.

"I don't know!" He exclaimed. "The cave seemed a lot bigger when I first saw it." There had been something about the random hole that made it seem massive. From the sound of a million little bats squeaking away to the faint trickle of running water he heard coming from below. There must have been some kind of underground cavern. One that was hidden somewhere just out of sight with sprawling tunnels and rivers. It would explain what he thought. About there being more hidden beneath the ground. He just hoped Rayza wasn't actually down there.

His yellow eyes brightened and widened the moment Rory spoke. But this time it was about bats. About how they were disgusting and what did they even do. Cottongrass knew the answer to that question.

"Attack me." He chirped. The purpose of bats was to attack him and maybe even torture him. He didn't know for sure but it would make the most sense. And it would also go along with his other theory about nature hating him. Because he got attacked by a lot of different animals in his two years of living. From birds to muskoxen and now bats. But he guessed there were worse animals to be attacked by like skunks and cougars. He fell quiet and sombre at Rory's latest conga line of questions.

"Sort of." He started off. The more he thought about what she asked the more he realized he would have to explain. Because there was Rayza and Reyes and Askan and Wild Rye Fields. Which was too much to say and probably not enough time. His head cocked in thought and he fell back against his rump.

"I met someone since the last time I saw you." That was sort of an understatement. Because he met Rayza but there was also so much more for him to say. He settled for the basics. "His name is Rayza. He had a sprained paw and it seemed like he wasn't having a nice night so I thought I could help him. Take him to Wild Rye Fields and stuff, you know?" His black lips twisted into a careful frown and his ears rolled back against his head.

"'cept I lost him along the way. And then I got lost trying to find him again. And now me and my friends aren't going back to Wild Rye Fields." He probably wasn't explaining it right. But he was more than willing to answer any of her questions if she asked. His tail thumped against the ground and his yellow eyes narrowed in on Rory's face. "It's a long story."

COTTONGRASS
Inactive IV. Subordinate
Aurora Thanne
Aurora Thanne

She chuckled once more, not necessarily at Cotton but the situation he had gotten himself in and nudged his shoulder a second time, as if to say that she understood and was only joking with him. Despite the time that had grown between them, the large male hadn't changed very much and this made Rory happy; she could remain herself with him. In no time he explained why he was looking for someone in a cave and her brows grew narrow from the weight of the information. She supposed Cotton had remained the same wolf on the outside, but so much had already changed from the inside.

"Who are you with from the Rye?" she wondered, nearly forgetting that he had mentioned the wolf named Rayza--and finally placed a name to the absence figure. She had wondered how important this wolf was to Cotton, for him to search so frantically in a cave for, and she got her answer simply from listening to him explain everything to her. There was no questioning now that this Rayza wolf had won Cotton over enough to offer him a home. She couldn't recall if he had ever offered her as much when they had first met, or any time after that when she really thought about it, it could have been because he could sense that she wasn't quite ready. "he must be important, Rayza, I can help you find him if you want. I'm sure two set of eyes would be better than one." she said, hoping to at least meet this character that her friend had so quickly bonded with. Maybe he was actually worth his weight after all.

Inactive Deceased
Cottongrass

She didn't ask that many questions. Cottongrass' shoulders sagged with relief and his tail continued to gently thump against the ground behind him. Because he could answer her little questions. The ones that he knew by heart. Like who was coming along with him from Wild Rye Fields.

"Askan and Reyes." There might have been a few more but he didn't think so. Neither of his two best friends mentioned anyone else aside from Reyes who talked about finding a kid along the way. Maybe he would find them again and see if there was anyone else there that he didn't know about. His ears rolled forward and he perked up when Rory continued to speak. Because she wanted to help him look for Rayza. He couldn't help the grin that brightened his features.

"That'd be great!" And he was pretty sure Rayza was important to him. Not in the way Aytigin had been or even the way Lorcan and Tumblebelly could be on certain days. But the kid mattered to him. He wanted to help them and make sure everything worked out alright for them as they headed east. His tail wagged and he straightened up.

"D'you think you could stick around here? Maybe see if he comes this way?" He wanted all his bases covered. Because he would do this right, damn it. Even if it meant he used up what remained of his good luck. "I want to look for him in the western forests, you know? The one with all the sorta mountains. It's the last place I saw him and I think he's still there —" He couldn't imagine the kid making it out of that place with his sprained paw but who knew. "But just to be safe we can split up. Cover more ground, and all that." His grin brightened and he swayed where he sat. Because this was happening.

He would do something right for once in his life and Rory would be right there with him.

COTTONGRASS
Inactive IV. Subordinate
Aurora Thanne
Aurora Thanne

A single ear flicked backward when he mentioned who he was with from the Fields, she recalled one in particular and the mere mention of his name nearly made her eyebrow lift with surprise. Askan wasn't her most favorite of wolves, the encounter she had with him left a bad impression on her but she knew how much the older male meant to her friend and for this her face remained relatively still. She couldn't for the life of her understand anything about Askan that made him worth hanging around--but she could be wrong. She didn't exactly know anything more about him than that first meeting, and so far that had been the last. "There aren't very many of you, are you fairing okay? And who is Reyes?" she asked with real concern, she had never before worried over Cotton but than again he always had the protection of the pack as a backup, without them he was just as vulnerable as she was and for once she truly was worried.

She didn't for a second doubt that he would turn down her offer of searching for his friend but she hadn't expected him to immediately recommended that they split up to look for him even if the idea wasn't half bad. Her face twisted into something of displeasure but she quickly recovered and forced a smile, knowing that this was more traumatic for him than her--it shouldn't take them long. "If that's what you think will help, I'm fine with splitting up. Just...be careful." she voiced once more, not holding back the wave of worry that had hit her once more. For some reason, she had become quite the worry wart. "I hope he turns up, and that he appreciates the search party sent out for him." she said more so to herself than him and waited for her friend to make his way toward the mountain range he had suggested. Everything about his plan was making her nervous but she wanted nothing more than to trust him...

(This post was last modified: Nov 24, 2017, 08:26 AM by Rory.)

Inactive Deceased
Cottongrass

Cottongrass got the feeling that Rory was always full of questions and concerns. He decided that it was nice even though he always felt the urge to do whatever he could to make her stop worrying. She was just so nice! His tail wagged and his ears rolled forward.

"Yeah." He was doing okay. Maybe even more than okay when he thought about it because he was going on an adventure with his best friends. It was everything he ever dreamed of doing! And he was going to tell her that there were probably more wolves involved than the ones he listed. Like the kid Reyes found or Percy — whoever those two wolves were — but she asked who Reyes was and he got distracted. How could she not know Reyes! His eyes brightened and he straightened up. "Reyes is one of my best friends." He chirped. And with a goofy smile on his features — "Like you and Askan."

Somewhere behind him Cottongrass' rear end gave a pleased wiggle. Because the list of wolves he considered close friends was small but man did he adore them. How could he not!? They were good wolves. Askan was smart. Reyes had been there for him every step of the way. And Rory was Rory. She was pleasant and kind and always looking out for him. He bet the three of them would get along well. Which gave him an idea, actually —

But Rory was speaking and his train of thought went right out the window. His filter went right out the window too in that moment. Because while he noticed her discomfort he didn't really notice her discomfort. Instead his mouth was quicker than his brain and he sort of blurted out the first sentence that come to mind.

"I'm always careful." He chirped. His yellow eyes glowed and he puffed up with a certain playful smugness. Rory didn't even know how careful he could be! And maybe his history of getting trampled by various animals and his countless near death experiences went directly against that statement but she didn't know all of his stories. He kept on speaking and answering her questions. She was too serious! Rayza was fine. Cottongrass was fine. He was determined to get a positive reaction out of her before he continued his grand search.

"Course he will!" In his mind there was no way Rayza wouldn't appreciate the effort he put into finding the kid. "He has the two best searchers looking out for him, right? There's no way he won't appreciate us." He wiggled his broad shoulders and reached out to give her a nudge.

COTTONGRASS