(See All?) Announcements
572 Users Online
Bing, Google

release me from the present — Secret Falls 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Arla who has 88 posts.
tag for @Askan but open to any of the Edgy crew | dated for December 19

Of course he got lost.

Two days, it should have taken him two days to find the Selwyn and the lands he claimed with his mate. Reyes. He had committed the name to memory just in case, for he did not want to make a fool of himself. The peppered yearling had barely managed to scrap by the conversation with his uncle, for his nerves had gotten the better of him. Prior to leaving Lachesis had educated him on Askan and his mate after he had told him stories about his time in the lands of Lore. He had warned Seven that the pair were a grumpy bunch, but loyal to the core. They were good friends to have, Lachesis claimed, even if they were a little rough around the edges. It didn’t ease his nerves—instead it elevated them—but at least he was prepared.

He continued south, stomping through the snow with frantic determination. His uncle had offered him a home among the towering cedar trees but Seven had politely declined. For now. He did not know what his siblings would want, for he had yet to find them. Seven was not opposed to staying in the lands of Lore, for there was so much more freedom than being stuck behind a dreadful fence, but he did not know if Niccy and Melia would feel the same after their adventures.

But, as a new wolf to the feral lands, Seven knew how dangerous it was to be on his own. Especially in the winter. If he could not bunk with Askan and his pack the peppered yearling would return north and accept his uncle’s offer. Just for the winter months.

Before leaving the Kingswood his alabaster uncle had warned him not to arrive empty-pawed. Bring a gift, Lachesis had encouraged, it should make them a little less grumpy. He swallowed, worry pinching his brows together. He hoped his uncle was right. A freshly caught rabbit swung from his jaws as he sauntered up to the well-marked borders, his oversized paws skidding to a halt.

You can do this.

Could he?

He made sure to keep his distance from the borders, as instructed by his uncle, before placing the rabbit at his feet and tossing his nose to the sky. While he called for Askan in particular he would not be surprised if one of his subordinates made an appearance. Part of him hoped that Remington would, so he could thank her once more for all her helpful information…

(This post was last modified: Jan 02, 2018, 04:10 PM by Seven.)

Played by Switch who has 145 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Remington
Guardian Dem 1/3 Alice can we assume Remi told Askan about Seven?
And then you get up and get up and get up again

Cottongrass was missing, and Remi didn't like it. The absence of the white wolf had her anxious. Her nerves were twisted in a tangled mess, and she was quite twitchy. The slightest sound making her jump. Coming across his scent, raising her heart as each day she ventured a little farther. Wishing, hoping, even quietly praying she would see that white, bright coat and smile again. She did not, and as the sun warned of the night she'd return to the Edge. Trying not to dwell in hopelessness.

On this day with dark clouds in the distance she remained home. It could storm, and snowstorms made her extra nervous. If she spent too much time away, she wouldn't be welcomed back.

So she did the one thing she could. She followed their borders, wondering what the two pups might be up to today. Maybe, they could occupy her mind. A loud call disrupted her thoughts, and she froze. She didn't know it, but there was familiarity. She already had plenty of reason to meet it. This was home, and she was still trying to prove herself and even announced guests should be greeted and watched.

With haste she sought their visitor. It took a moment even with his dark coat for her to recognize him. Once she did her tail leveled and swayed from side to side. "Well hello there," she greeted, quite happy to see she had gotten here first.

[Image: se_by_a_yellow_bird-dc2z4ij.png]
Played by Alice who has 1,273 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
Yep that's fine!  whoops this got a lot longer than I'd planned
Guard dem 1/3

Where the hell was he? It wasn't odd for him to wander off like this,Cottongrass had a bad case of itchy paws at the best of times, but surely he would've returned by now if he could, right? Or not. Askan gritted his teeth as his ears flattened to his skull. He didn't want to think poorly of the fluffball but shit... he'd wandered off before without a word, what was to stop him from doing it again?

On top of all that Remington had come to him the other day with news. Seeing as the Selwyn family was so large Askan had never assumed that all of them were dead and gone. Most, if not all of the clan probably were, Savion had seen to that. But the whole family, every single cousin and great uncle or aunt? Of course not.

So when she'd mentioned meeting a wolf called Seven Selwyn he hadn't been blown away by the news. Sure, he'd been surprised (and a little amused by his first name) but it wasn't something that brought him much joy. He didn't know this wolf, they might have shared the name but he wasn't family. He was just another face, another wolf who shared the age old Selwyn blood. Blood that didn't mean much these days.

Askan's ears twitched as a howl echoed through his lands. So this was him, huh? He'd finally gotten around to showing his face? Climbing to his feet, Askan shook himself off and clambered down from his throne-aka a big rock that overlooked the Shallows. He was in no rush to face this Selwyn, but he supposed dawdling wouldn't do either. Lest he come across as lazy. And so he broke into an easy lope and headed towards the northern borders.

Remington was already present, which pleased the Edge Lord. It was good to see her out and about, tending to her duties and earning her keep. Whatever qualms he'd had about her before were starting to dissipate, in no time at all things between them would be fine. More or less anyway.

Slowing to a trot, then a walk, Askan chuffed at Remington before turning his attention to the brown eyed smudge at his border. He claimed to be a Selwyn, but his eyes were all wrong, brown and ugly. As was his build, all thin and gangly, like he hadn't quite finished growing. At the very least, he had the coat for it. Hmph. A rabbit hung limp between his jaws, Askan sniffed appraisingly at the air. A fresh kill, a gift perhaps?.

"So you're the Selwyn Remington told me about?" He said at last."I've never heard of you, who're your parents?"

(This post was last modified: Jan 18, 2018, 04:21 PM by Askan.)
[Image: kana_pixel_by_marthypie-dcn3i8m.gif]
[Image: se_sig_by_becuffin-dbuushz.png]
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
There are several fresh rabbit tracks in the mud. Hunt Opportunity

Maybe he couldn’t do this. Maybe he should just drop the rabbit and run back to the Kingswood. Maybe he should have asked his uncle to join him, for he was much more composed (and savvy) than he was. He already wasn’t a proper Selwyn, as he did not possess the same coloured eyes as his siblings, and he didn’t know his father. Would Askan even believe him? He swallowed nervously, his tail hanging low as his ears flattened against the back of his skull.

This was a mistake.

But it was too late to turn around. The soft crunch, crunch of approaching steps caused the fur on the back of his spine to lift, his legs tensing up as he prepared himself to bolt. But he was greeted by a familiar face—the golden-eyed female who had provided him with copious amounts of information during their last meeting. His paws stamped in greeting, a soft smile forming around the still-warm body between his jaws. At least Remington had made an appearance, for a familiar face would make this whole (awkward) situation a lot more bearable.

Another series of crunches alerted the yearling of another presence—a wolf who bore a striking resemblance to the female that was already present. But the eyes were what set him apart. The Selwyn eyes. The eyes he lacked but his siblings had been blessed with. Bending his elbows that peppered yearling fell into a submissive stance. He was quick to avert his gaze, as instructed by his uncle, before placing the rabbit on the ground and nudging it toward the new arrival.

Yes s-sir, he answered quickly, silently cursing himself for fumbling over his words, S-Seven Selwyn. … who’re your parents? The Edge Lord got straight to the point. Okay, he could do this. He had to. There was no going back now. Hadrian S-Selwyn is my father, he answered, the name feeling foreign on his tongue, and Thalia is my mother. He paused, allowing Askan a moment to digest the information before he continued: She is Lachesis’ sister. Name dropping was a good course of action, right?

Played by Switch who has 145 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Remington
Guardian Dem 2/3  You guys can skip Remi if ya need to.
And then you get up and get up and get up again

The information of a young relative neither seemed to upset Askan or bring him joy. Which wasn't surprising, but at least he hadn't cussed her out over it. Slowly, in small ways things seemed to be easier between them. Something that made her grateful because here at the Edge she had no desire to leave. Unlike the Fields that had never quite felt like a home.

Looking at the young fellow she couldn't help wonder if Seven would be so enthusiastic once he met Askan himself. He had rough edges he didn't hide. Something of an "acquired taste". Still, the dark wolf looked happy to see her, and he had brought a gift. Huh. She couldn't necessarily fathom why. Then again, he might need all he help he could get, and a free rabbit couldn't displease the Edge lord.

She knew Seven wouldn't cross their borders, but at least she was here, tending to them as part of her job. Waiting. Her leader was not  far behind her. She turned her head, offering a wag of her low tail. Then she kept silent witness.

[Image: se_by_a_yellow_bird-dc2z4ij.png]
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
okie dokie <3
guard dem 2/3

Askan-like Elias, funnily enough- wasn't sure what to make of his name. Seven. That didn't sound right at all, perhaps it was an alias, a nickname. But if that was the case, why would he offer it up like it was his true name? Like Askan was supposed to recognise it? Well,he didn't. He either wasn't a Selwyn at all, or he was one of those Selwyns.

Though Askan had never put much stock in it, many of his relatives-who were all probably dead now- believed that there were 'lesser' Selwyns. Perhaps it was just their arrogance getting in the way, but they were under the impression that those born outside the homeland weren't as good, or a pure as those who were. It was complete bullshit, a Selwyn was a Sewlyn, but apparently heritage had been everything.

So if Askan believed in that archaic way of thinking then....Seven here would be a lesser Selwyn, or maybe even a bastard.

But then, of course, as if to shatter all of his preconceptions Seven dropped a name that was painfully familiar to the Edge Lord.

"You what?"Askan blurted, unable to stop himself."H-Hadrian? As in my cousin, that Hadrian?"

Who else could he be talking about? There weren't any other Hadrian's he knew of, it was a rather unique name after all. If Seven was telling the truth then...it'd explain a lot. One day he just vanished, even his Raina (his mother) had no idea where he'd gone...Not that she'd tried to search for him or anything...But that was aside the point.

So what did that make them? Cousins, ish? He didn't even have time to figure it out before Seven dropped another bombshell.

The name of his mother rang no bells, nor did Askan expect it to but Lachesis??????

He didn't even know he had a sister...What were the chances even? This was weird, real weird but not necessarily a bad thing.

"Holy shit."Was all Askan managed, as he stared wide eyes, tail hanging limp between his legs."So we're what...first cousins? Once removed maybe?"His family was complicated, he was well aware of that, but he never imagined he'd have to comb through again, just to figure out who was who.

(This post was last modified: Jan 18, 2018, 04:21 PM by Askan.)

It was not unusual for the boy to get a reaction from his name. It certainly wasn’t a conventional name. It wasn’t even one that was given to him, just one that he had adopted and claimed as his own. Septimus, his mother had called him. That was a worse name than Seven. It was so… so formal sounding. Proper. Everything the boy wasn’t. So, cutting his assigned name short, the peppered Selwyn had branded himself with a new name. One that didn’t sound so haughty. It was either that or Smudge, a name his siblings (namely his brother, Nicander) had given him. It wasn’t as bad as his birth name, but it wasn’t a name he wanted to introduce himself as. Especially in front of a wolf as impressive as Askan, who seemed very unimpressed in Seven already.

The golden-eyed Selwyn seemed flabbergasted by the news of Hadrian. He was a little disappointed, for he had hoped that his father was lurking around the lands of Lore somewhere, or that Askan had seen him in the last year. Huh. Apparently the Selwyn wouldn’t be so easy to track… which meant his adventure was going to be longer than expected. Uhm, he started, swallowing hard as his tail wagged nervously behind him, yessir. Hadrian Selwyn. I’ve, uh, never met him though… he stuttered, his dark triangles folding against his skull. Mom returned home— he left out the bit about the reserve, for he didn’t know if the information was necessary —and had us. My brother, sister ’n I. He frowned. I swear I’m a Selwyn. I know I don’ look it, but Niccy and Melia do. Brother kinda looks like you, actually. He swallowed once more, trying to choke back the words that threatened to spill off his tongue.

Clearly Askan had not been expecting that drop of information.

He shrugged in response, his muddy gaze still focused on the larger Selwyn’s dark paws. I-I-I think so, he answered, his voice small. I’m sorry for dumpin’ all this information on you, the boy added in a sheepish tone, a frown cutting across his dark maw. 

Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
I'm so rusty, help me
guard dem 3/3

Askan hadn't seen Hadrian in years.Which wasn't to say he missed him but...it wasn't as if they were ever that close. They got along well enough, but their personalities never melded well together. Hadrian was proud, dignified and more than a bit of a know-it-all and, well Askan didn't like that one bit.

To learn that he'd did the deed and ditched soon after, again Askan wasn't surprised at all. He'd always been looking at the horizon, he was a difficult one to pin down, once he got something into his mind there was no use trying to tell Hadrian otherwise. It was his way, or the highway.Still, that was a bit of a dick move, wasn't it? What happened to his sense of responsibility, his honour? At least the kid seemed to turn out all right, if not a little shy.

Though they weren't identical,  Askan could see the relation if he looked hard enough. His bright gaze wandered over his form once more, drinking it in as he felt a stab of familiarity deep in his chest. He was a Selwyn, there was no use in denying it.

"It's fine."Askan dismissed his worries with a flick of his tail."But he's not here, I haven't seen him in years...And there is little use heading back to the Mountain, there isn't anything left, from what I've been told."He tried to keep his tone level, matter of fact, but it was so hard to be blase when this was his family he was talking about. Not strangers, like they were to Seven, his flesh and blood, those who'd loved him and raised him... only to see him fall.

"Wherever he is, he's not worth your time. He left your Mother, he doesn't deserve your effort."Askan sneered, his eyes narrowed with disdain, though clearly not aimed at Seven.

(This post was last modified: Jan 18, 2018, 04:22 PM by Askan.)

Even without raising his muddy gaze the nervous yearling could tell Askan was analyzing him. While his mother claimed that his fur was the right colour for the Selwyn clan Seven knew from an early age that his eyes were all wrong. Mother had spoken of Hadrian’s brilliant sunflower-yellow eyes—the same ones that sunk into both of his siblings’ skulls. But not his. No, the boy with the wretched name was cursed with eyes the colour of dirt. How very unSelwyn.

He could only imagine the reaction he would have received if he had been born with the same ivory pelt that adorned his mother. Then he would have looked identical to his grandfather, who shared the same mocha-coloured irises. Askan surely would have laughed in his face if he tried passing off as a Selwyn with an alabaster coat.

The boy would have been lying if he said he wasn’t disappointed to hear that his father—the elusive Hadrian—had not gone south to the lands of Lore. His lips curled into a soft frown, his brows pinched tight. It was a little disheartening, knowing that he might never meet his father. But he had found family. An uncle and a cousin… once removed? He nodded softly in silent understanding, his ears twitching in defeat. He had made some progress, though. It was something.

Thoughts flickered to his siblings, for he was curious as to how they were making out. Seven hoped they were still together, but he knew that they were capable of handling themselves if they got separated. If he had managed then it was likely that they had succeeded, too.

At least I know to stop lookin’ for him, he mumbled softly, his tail flicking in annoyance. It was clear that Askan knew his father better than him, so it would be wise of him to trust his judgement.

He motioned to the rabbit at his paws, his expression softening as he attempted to (awkwardly) change the topic: Lachesis told me t’bring you a gift. He paused, swallowing hard to clear his throat before continuing… I-I don’t really have much skills yet, but I can hunt. I know a good wolf from a bad one, and I can help wherever you need it. Another pause, his limbs trembling with nerves. I g-guess… what I’m tryin’ to say is I’d like to stay, if you’d have me. My brother ’n sister should be around somewhere, too… they should be able to track me down here. If his cousin (once removed) would not have him the boy would return north, to his uncle, and seek refuge among the towering cedars. But this place intrigued him… even if it was vastly different than the tundra he was used to…