(See All?) Announcements
494 Users Online
Google, Bing

sakura blues — Shallows Edge 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Arla who has 88 posts.

Since the meeting the peppered yearling had been thinking (almost constantly) about how he could useful to the pack. He didn’t possess many skills, aside from basic healing and hunting. He was sort of good at tracking, but he hadn’t done very well in finding his siblings. Their safety still weighed heavy in his thoughts. He had not heard from either of them since they entered the lands of Lore and decided to split up. Cover more ground, they said. Meet up soon. The muddy-eyed Selwyn did not regret his venture south, to the Shallows, but he knew it restricted him from finding his siblings. He had hoped that by staying in one place that it would be easier for them to find him. But, as the days passed—weeks—there was no sign of Melia or Nicander. It was possible that they could have returned north—to the tundra. Or, maybe, they had decided to pursue the infamous Selwyn mountains, as that was next on their to-do list.

He walked parallel to the water, his dark brows pinched tight as he tried to sort out the many thoughts spinning around his head. He knew he’d have to seek out either Askan or Reyes to discuss potential roles. Ways to benefit the group. Otherwise there was no point to him being in the Shallows—not if he was just going to chuck a rabbit or squirrel in the caches every few days and monitor the borders. Sure, it was useful, but it also meant he was replaceable.

Or did he want to be replaceable?

More than anything the boy wanted to find his siblings—or at least have confirmation that they were fine. That they were either somewhere in the Lore, perhaps on the other side of the mountain, or had gone north in search of the mountains. Any news was better than no news.

He kicked at the ground, a scowl hardening his youthful features as a pebble skidded across the water.

Played by Alice who has 1,273 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Askan could only mourn for so long. That wasn't to say he was over it, the loss of a loved one never got easier to stomach but...where was all of this getting him? What did he gain from it? The way the Old Man passed- such an ugly way of putting it- denied Askan of any sense of closure. Too many 'what ifs' tumbled around in his mind, he should have enforced his word, insisted that the Drestig stay and rest up. What an idiot, he adored the Old Man but...why did he have to be so stupid, so stubborn? He'd been no spring chicken, Askan knew he wouldn't be around for ever, but this? @Drestig should have known better, if he truly cared for his family, his pack he wouldn't have done this to himself.

A flash of resentment ran through Askan's system, sharp and hot like a searing burn to his skin. He shook his head in an attempt to cast it off. What was the point in being angry? It got him nowhere and brought even more hurt to the surface, like digging up a shallow grave.

It was then he noticed the shape of his-sort of- cousin through the trees. Askan paused in his stomping steps, debating whether it was a good idea to approach his subordinate when he was feeling so...prickly. Whilst Askan was a bit of a dick (or a lot, depending on who you ask) he didn't want to curb stomp his subordinate into the ground. It wasn't Seven's fault that he felt this way, the kid had done nothing wrong. Yet. Emerging out of the treeline, Askan chuffed in greeting. He took a moment to observe Seven's features, those unfamiliar brown eyes were still a bit of an oddity to the Edge Lord. Where did he get them from, or rather, who?

"You look a lot like him." Askan noted, dipping his head to gesture to his subordinate."Kind of weird how you manage to pull off that look of his. Sort of... frowny, but effortless. Like he didn't know how to smile." Not that the same could be said for Seven, he'd seen the yearling smile a time or two.

Askan & Reyes
[Image: kana_pixel_by_marthypie-dcn3i8m.gif]
[Image: se_sig_by_becuffin-dbuushz.png]

His shoulders rose in surprise at the male’s voice despite the neutral expression that remained on his peppered features. The unconventional Selwyn should have known that his cousin was lurking around the shallows—it was his pack, after all, what else would he be doing? He almost snickered in amusement at his own thoughts but swallowed them quickly instead, his muddy gaze quickly averting away from the darker male’s face. He knew better to look a leader in the eyes, even if he was fascinated by the brilliant Selwyn-yellow pools. The same colour that his siblings were blessed with. Seven envied them for it, as he had been born with the same muddy gaze as his grandfather. It wasn’t that the boy didn’t like his grandfather, but possessing such a dull shade of brown made Seven feel as though he wasn’t a true Selwyn.

But he wasn’t really a true Selwyn.

He and his siblings had been raised away from the infamous mountains, by wolves who knew little of the Selwyn dynasty. Even their mother wasn’t able to provide them with much information on their father or his family. A name. A place. A vague history. It was all he knew, along with a few chosen words about his father from the dark Selwyn standing before him.

Did he even want to meet the wolf responsible for his existence?

He sounds miserable, he mused, a soft smile rolling onto his peppered features as his tail swayed slowly behind him.

Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Askan shrugged. In all honesty he didn't know, but if that was the case then Hadrian hid it so well that his own Mother didn't notice. Not a lot of things slipped by her, she had an uncanny ability to just know. Maybe, unlike Askan, she was just good at reading people. Or-and this was the more likely option- she liked to stick her nose in everyone's business. Privacy hadn't really been a thing back home, but sure enough secrets and plots managed to undermine everything they'd stood for and now it was all gone.

"Maybe. He never seemed to want to stay, like he had better places to be. Didn't settle into any packs, as far as I know. Always came back smelling of himself."Askan thought on it some more, his head tilting a little to the side. "I don't think he liked being a subordinate, wanted to carve out his own course. Or something equally as trite."

What claim did he have to the throne anyway? The fact that Hadrian had wanted it at all was a stain on his character, it was better that he came and went-at least then he didn't pose a threat. Not that it mattered now, Askan supposed.

"You're not miserable, are you?" He asked, stepping closer so he could inspect his expression. There was certainly something eating at his cousin, but what?

Askan scowled at the thought, realising he'd let things slip over the past few weeks. Shit. It was about time he sorted this out, nipped it in the bud.

Askan & Reyes

Hm. The more Askan described the boy’s father the more Seven began to question if he was actually related to the elusive Hadrian Selwyn. Although he had always been curious about life beyond the silver fences, Seven could have stayed in the reserve longer. He couldn’t, however, speak for his siblings—but he often wondered if they had abandoned the Lore in order to return to their family. Maybe they had thought he had gone running for the hills tundra. The stories their mother had told them had spiked his interest of the outside world, but even now he wouldn’t be opposed to returning to the reserve. Sure, the scenery beyond the fences was nice, but it wasn’t with his family. The family he had known since birth—not wolves he’d only heard stories of. Both his uncle and his cousin, however, had not disappointed him. Heck, he wished he could grow up to be half the wolves they were, but they were still strangers to him.

Maybe that was his own fault.

It probably was.

He doesn’t sound anythin’ like me, he laughed, the corners of his eyes crinkling as he tried to make the conversation less serious. Being serious wasn’t his forté—it never had been. But, the soft curl of his lips fell at the Edge Lord’s questions, his dark brows pinching tight as his maw canted to the side. Miserable? Me? He shook his head. Nah. Worried, yes, but definitely not miserable. He didn’t even know if he was capable of being miserable. 

Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
Leader dem 1/3

"Well...good."Askan frowned, unsure how to respond.

He supposed it was a good thing though, Askan and Hadrian had never gotten along terribly well. He much preferred the company of his cousin than his...well, cousin. Perhaps it was for the best he'd grown up without his father's influence, after all Askan wasn't sure if he could deal with another conceited, smug Selwyn.

Apparently Seven wasn't miserable, that's what he said at least. It was hard for Askan to tell whether he was simply telling his alpha what he thought he wanted to hear, or if he was actually speaking the truth. He liked to think it was the latter, Seven seemed pretty dependable, but wolves were complex creatures. Askan would never really know what was going on in his head, at times he struggled to understand even his own.

"About your siblings? Mmm, I know how you feel."Askan planted his rump on the floor as he allowed his shoulders to droop, no use in being so stiff anyway, not around family. "Lach told me he saw my sister, said she was in real rough shape. I thought-" he swallowed thickly." I thought she was dead, but apparently not. So she's out there somewhere, no clue where and I want to find her I just...I'm stuck here."It was the way of things and he'd accepted that.

"So what is it you want to do? Worrying clearly is getting you nowhere."

Askan & Reyes
(This post was last modified: May 16, 2018, 06:05 PM by Askan.)

He didn’t really know what he wanted. To be united with his family mostly, but he also wanted to be of use to his new pack. His extended family. There was nothing wrong with the Shallows, or Askan. In fact, the peppered boy was quite fond of the place (and the wolves within it). It could be better, though, if his siblings had found their way to the shallows. But part of growing up was spending time away from his family. It still sucked. Not knowing if they were okay; if they had returned home. He liked to think they wouldn’t leave him behind, but it had been weeks since he’d last seen them. Things could have changed.

The boy’s ears quivered at the mention of his uncle, his muddy gaze narrowing softly as he glanced over at his leader. He mentioned a sister, one that Askan had believed to be dead until recently. That she was out there, somewhere in the Lore, waiting to be found. The corners of his mouth fell. Maybe she’ll find you, the yearling offered, his expression softening with his youthful optimism.

So what is it you want to do? His nose wrinkled. He still didn’t know. I want to find them, he confessed, his voice quiet as he returned his gaze forward, but I also want to do what I can for you. This place, while it is nothing like the tundra I’m used to, feels like home. But it could feel more like home. What would you like me to do? It was time he try a different approach. Perhaps Askan could help him out.

Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
leader dem 2/3

"Mmm, perhaps. Not holding my breath." Because since when had things ever been that easy? It seemed foolish to hope, to want for something outside of his control, but maybe just maybe Seven was right. At the very least it wasn't an impossibility.

At his question, Seven seemed puzzled, as though he hadn't even taken his own wants and desires into consideration. The Selwyn couldn't help but roll his eyes a little at that, so damn selfless. Attitudes like that, whilst admirable, got you nowhere in life. If Seven spent all of his time umming and uhhing about what he wanted then where would he end up, sad and lonely? Askan scoffed and dismissed the issue with a sharp shake of his head. He would not allow that to happen, not to his favourite cousin.

Eventually, before Askan could give him a prod or two, Seven spoke up- so quiet that Askan had to tip his ears forward to catch his words. The Edge Lord was very uninspired by what he heard, Seven's own wants seemed so entangled by his desire to serve...that Askan couldn't help but briefly wonder if he'd been too forceful in stating his expectations of his subordinates. He didn't think that asking them to earn their keep was overly demanding but what if they thought that was all he wanted from them, to be little more than his slaves?

"You didn't answer my question." Askan corrected, his tone firm but fair. He titled his head forward a little, looking Seven in the eye. His gaze was warm as ever, but not scalding hot, just watchful."What I want is irrelevant right now. But I would feel better knowing that you're content, not worrying over your siblings day and night. So what do you want to do, scouting?"He posed the question again, wondering how he'd take to it this time.

A lot of his subordinates seemed interested in that role, he wondered if he ought to be offended, that no one wanted to hang around the Shallows.

Askan & Reyes
(This post was last modified: May 16, 2018, 06:06 PM by Askan.)

The older Selwyn appeared displeased by Seven’s words, which earned a soft frown from the peppered youth. That hadn’t gone the way he’d intended. He swallowed, his ears sweeping back as he observed the yellow-eyed male. He’d always wanted to find his extended family. At first that had included his uncle Lachesis and his father. He hadn’t even known there were other Selwyn’s to be found until a stranger had given him Askan’s name. And now… now his siblings were missing. Gobbled up by the lands of Lore. He liked to think that they had returned home, to the north—or had stumbled upon the Selwyn mountains. If they were still here wouldn’t they have found him by now…?

Scouting. It wasn’t a bad idea… in fact, the yearling sort of liked the idea of being able to scout. W-well, it’d help me look for my siblings, he mused aloud, his muddy gaze falling to his dark paws once more. I like being here—I really do. It feels like home here, he added, his chin tipping softly to one side as he examined the ground in great detail, but I don’t know if I’ll ever be content unless I know what happened to ‘em, y’know? He blinked, his brows furrowing tight as he glanced up. Does that make me a bad subordinate? Because he sure felt that way.

Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
Leader dem 3/3

Askan hummed as he dipped his head in acknowledgement. As much as a hard arse as he was, he understood where his cousin was coming from. It was the not knowing what hurt most of all, the boy needed closure because if not he would always be like this. All nervy and serious, as though his face ached from all the frowning he was doing. Seven was many things-not his Father for one- but Askan didn't regard the yearling as a bad subordinate. Perhaps he was a little too reserved, distant from the others. If he found out what happened to his siblings would he come out of his shell some more, or was this all there was to him?

He pursed his lips, aside from barbed quips Askan wasn't really one for making snap responses. Especially not when it came down to family.He looked out at the Shallows, his ears tipping forward as he listened to the trickle of water as it rolled over their own little fall. Things changed but the Falls were constant, steady. Knowing this grounded Askan, made his resolve firm and true.

"No. It's not like you wandered off without a word. Other's would have left by now, but here you are." Askan looked back to him, his bright gaze softening a little. Not so hot, or critical. "If you want to leave, to scout, I won't stop you. If you think this is what's best for you, your siblings, then go."

Askan & Reyes
(This post was last modified: May 16, 2018, 06:06 PM by Askan.)