(See All?) Announcements
662 Users Online
Bing, Google, Hazelnut, Aven

[BWP]I've been bending backwards till I broke — Red Fern Forest 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Allie who has 208 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Lyanna Tainn

"I suppose I could, my memory isn't that bad." A hint of a grin tugged at the corners or her lips. His way of being nice. Even knowing nothing about him except that he was a bit of an ass and had a disfigured foot, she was perhaps drawn to his roughened personality. Found it refreshing, even. She'd been raised and had lived among exceptionally proper and even-tempered wolves. Her experience with him thus far had only led her to feel like there was something more to him than just those objective things she'd gathered from there very short time together. She wondered who he was and what his life experiences had been to mold such a hardened exterior, before resigning herself not to wonder so much. And not to expect anything.

He began to lead the way, putting out an exceptional effort to step as if nothing was even wrong. Maybe the distraction her presence offered took it off his mind. Or, maybe he was doing a good job at hiding the pain. Either way, it was a good thing because they might stand a chance of making it to wherever they were going in fair enough time to avoid an unfortunate run-in with the riff raff around here. As the pair got going, he went on to ask which Tainn she was. A reasonable question, given that the bloodline had stretched far and wide. "-Lyanna," she replied. Her first name didn't give up any real information, so she indulged - and probably annoyed - him. "My father is Mirren Tainn, son of Ruiko. We're the Copper Rock Creek side of the family, though it's been many years since those days." It was all she elected to offer without further questioning. If he was interested, he'd ask.

Keeping to his side, she continued her assiduous inspection the forest. "Which sort of wolf are you?" She tried to give him back some of his own sarcasm. The noise from the coyotes was no further away, and she kept that fact in the forefront of her mind as she willed herself not to look at his foot again. Inhaling an easy breath, she went on to add, "...surely you've got a story."

Played by Alice who has 1,273 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
Shallows Edge
Carpe Noctem

So now he had a name to put to her face. Lyanna. Hmm, he supposed it suited her. It was one of those pretty, wish-washy names, the sort that he could imagine all sorts fawning over, just because it was wholesome, cute. Well not Askan, not that he was the sort to fawn over anything, period. He was too cool for that, too gruff and controlled- so he liked to think anyway. But then of course she had to continue, it would have been fine if she left it there, but nope apparently it was time for a history lesson.

Askan shot her a sharp look as his brows drew together, his lips down turned a little at the corners. Because come on had he asked for her life story? At least her words were somewhat interesting-though there was no way in hell he'd say as much- he didn't know much about the Tainns really, aside from what he'd managed to put together himself. They'd once been big shots around these parts, but these days? Not so much, time had a funny way of making the relevant, irrelevant. He supposed the same could be said for the Selwyns, once they'd had it all, a family, a name that carried weight and prestige. But now? He stifled a sigh. As far as Askan was aware the dynasty was now in ruins, lost forever never to return.

"Never heard of him. Or that pack, before my time." He shrugged. Even if it wasn't he'd more or less remained in the northern reaches of the Lore the whole time he'd been here. In fact, aside from his brief little elopement with Reyes he'd never been west of the mountain, not that he cared, he didn't feel like he'd missed out on much.

As for her question, his steps-or rather limps- faulted for a moment as he considered his next words. How much did he want to reveal? He supposed stating who he was wouldn't do any harm, besides she'd likely need to know when it came time to pay her back.

"The Selwyn sort." A name that didn't carry too much weight in this parts, not that he cared, it was easier this way. "Askan Selwyn, leader of Shallows Edge."

His ears twitched as the coyotes continued to yowl and cry, it was difficult to keep the conversation going when they were constantly being interrupted. Luckily, they weren't far off, just a little further. He could smell the scent markers on the wind, potent beacons that-so far- had kept the coyotes in check. They were certainly safer there than they had been in the thick of the ferns but they weren't out of the woods yet..both literally and proverbially speaking.

[Image: kana_pixel_by_marthypie-dcn3i8m.gif]
[Image: se_sig_by_becuffin-dbuushz.png]
Inactive No Rank
Lyanna Tainn

Naturally the unnecessary detail she provided brought a scowl to his face, which was anything but a surprise by now. She lifted her brows as if to give him some attitude. Cranky brute. Nonetheless she was yet to be offended by either his foul stares or words and they rolled off her shoulders like rain would have. It made sense that he'd never heard of any of the wolves or places she'd mentioned. The way he faltered at her question didn't go unnoticed but she didn't pay it much mind, for the scent of guarded borders now lingered in the air.

Finally he announced himself as Askan Selwyn, the leader of Shallows Edge. She guessed they were square, then, because neither name rang a bell. But her natural, astute sort of curiosity wondered what edge the pack was named for. She was new to this side of the mountain as a whole and was still in a state of discovery virtually everywhere she went. The edge of something water-filled, she assumed, though she knew better than to ask too many questions of him. She could only imagine what his reaction to a stupid question would be, though her vision of how that would play out was rather comical.

"Never heard of it," Lyanna replied in true Askan fashion, taking in the scenery now and committing it to memory should she ever want or need to return. "I'm sure your pack will be elated to have their leader back, Askan." She wanted to make a remark about his missing toenail at that point but decided against it. Now that they were at least acquainted well enough to be on a first name basis, she preferred not to send him over the edge in any way.

She could have gone on to make further conversation but assumed the possibility that it might not blow over well, so she remained quiet. For a moment she thought she'd seen the glistening of more than one pair of watchful eyes somewhere among the ferns. And then, embarrassingly enough, her stomach growled. She was as robust as she'd ever been, but the thought that her high-ranking counterpart might not perceive her as such due to an empty belly was anything but pleasing. She said nothing, trucking along dutifully beside him as he limped.

Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
Shallows Edge
Carpe Noctem

Askan didn't expect her to recognise his packs name. In the grand scheme of things it hadn't been around for very long and for the most part they'd kept to themselves, only venturing out tend to diplomatic affairs when it was necessary. All of that aside, Askan knew what Lyanna was getting at. He'd jabbed at her, dismissed her family's fame-or infamy, depending on who you asked- so she'd done the same. It was only fair, but he rolled his eyes all the same. Askan was nothing if not a bit hypocritical, not one of his best aspects, for sure.

"Jeeze, it's not like I went missing." He groused, he doubted they had even noticed his absence, if it could even be called that. Askan wasn't one for sitting on his arse all day, he came and went as he pleased, tending to his duties all the while. "But...if I vanished I like to think they'd notice".

Wasn't that the same for everyone though? That it was only natural for him to want to belong, to be appreciated? Sometimes he wondered if he was just needy... He limped on, drawing ever closer to the invisible line that cut through the forest. They were in the Ferns no longer, this was Falls territory. The Edge Lord parted his lips to speak, only to click his jaw  shut when the rumbling of her stomach grabbed at his attention. Yeah, he had figured as much. What loner wasn't hungry these days? Especially with all the mutts about, food wasn't exactly plentiful.

"Would something from my caches get you off my back?" He asked as he came to a standstill. It was an offer, perhaps not a nicely worded one but he meant it all the same. "Or are you looking for something a little more substantial?

Inactive No Rank
Lyanna Tainn

It wasn't his first remark but the second that caught her attention. "But...If I vanished I like to think they'd notice." It was more telling than anything else that had come out of his mouth. The message she took from it was that he wanted to be cared about by those who he cared about, and who wouldn't? Anyone with half a heart would. So the enigma of Askan deepened in the folds of her mind. There was surely more to him than met the eye. And she was a sucker for a good mystery.

The rumble of her empty stomach had been obvious, to her small degree of dismay. She was sure not to let her expression or demeanor change with the eventual kindness of his offer. Lyanna was capable, willing to get her hands dirty, willing to sweat to earn. Yes, of course a meal from his caches would be gratefully filling, but...It wasn't who she was to take advantage. It had taken them really no time at all to get here, and she never did have to risk a limb or anything at all to ensure that he'd made it home, to safety. She would be stricken with guilt to say yes, but it wasn't lost on her that it could also be considered rude not to accept his offer. A double-edged sword, the situation was.

"That is a kind offer," she spoke, her tone sincere and even, not too soft. "...I meant what I said before - my intentions were only to make sure you got home in one piece. You are aware of what I ask in return - for whatever our short journey was worth to you." Her bright eyes searched his face briefly, unwilling to offend him, asking not to be reprimanded this time. "I would fill your caches before I will eat from them, Askan."

So. many. words. Part of her thought his head might explode at any second. If it did, well, there wasn't much she could do about it, and she hadn't even gotten out all she had to say. "I haven't found what I'm looking for," pertinent or not, "but when I do, maybe we'll see each other again." It seemed as though they'd reached their destination, with he and his standstill. She couldn't really shake the feeling that, for the first time since her return to Relic Lore, perhaps there was something substantial lying on the other side of the pack boundary she wouldn't be crossing today.

(This post was last modified: Jun 20, 2018, 05:53 AM by Lyanna.)
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
Fade with mine or yours?
Shallows Edge
Carpe Noctem

Lyanna said a lot, but in the end all it amounted to was: thanks but no thanks. Askan squinted, a tad insulted by her swift dismissal of his offer. What, did she think there was something wrong with his caches? That he was an inept leader, that he couldn't keep his own pack fed? With a tcccht and a flick of his tail he dismissed that idea, not that it mattered too much as she was quick to continue. Her next tangent of thought made his mind stall to a stop, as he turned and looked at her sharply, if not a little surprised, perhaps bemused.

He wasn't-he honestly wasn't sure what to make of that. From the get go she'd thrown Askan out of his loop, he'd managed to bounce back into his usual rhythm but...

"Huh. Well...okay. I'll take that into consideration, I guess." To his credit he sounded normal enough, firm and gruff, just a little slower than before, more thoughtful.

Askan had no intentions of asking what she was looking for, why she'd come to these lands. Not only wasn't he one for oversharing, but the fact she hadn't offered them freely suggested she was playing with her cards close to her chest. That for now, at least, she was coveting her motives till the time was right. Yeah, he could respect that, he supposed.

"Later then." He flicked his tail, a wolfish approximation of a lazy wave. He took another limpy-step forward and crossed over the invisible threshold. It was good to be home. There would be no long, drawn out farewells here, not from Askan at least.

Askan exit

(This post was last modified: Jun 20, 2018, 04:23 PM by Askan.)
Inactive No Rank
Lyanna Tainn

"Huh. Well...okay. I'll take that into consideration, I guess. Later then"

What a relief it was that he'd left it at that and that she didn't have to listen to anymore grumbling nonsense bullshit. A softened expression settled on her face as she watched the dark man flick his tail before taking his leave home, a one-sided grin tugging at a corner of her lips as his back turned to her. Quite a personality, that one had. In the end, she hoped she'd see him again, and if she didn't, well...she knew where to find him now.

Lyanna liked the seclusion this place offered and it didn't take her long to note how beautiful the change of scenery was once they'd left Red Fern Forest behind them. Perhaps she'd return. In the meantime, the coyotes persisted, and she wasn't going to waste any time in putting some real distance between herself and them. All cynical and snarky jokes aside, she turned southward and bounded off and away from the borders of Shallow's Edge.

{end}