(See All?) Announcements
706 Users Online
Bing, Google, Chan

driving me sane — Cedarwood Forest 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Wolfsong who has 106 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Ferreiran Morse
for @Vaken, though one or two others can join as well!
A recent heat wave has left the forest drier than usual.
Ferreiran padded through the forest, hoping to find some protection from the burning heat under the treetops. He stopped for a moment beside a puddle. He lapped at it, though more than one pine needle, floating on the surface of the water, snuck onto his tongue. He didn't mind too much, since they gave him a pleasantly piney taste, but it was impossible to swallow them! His eyes glared at a random tree, memorizing the pattern of its bark. If he was like many wolves, he would snarl and stomp away, but this dark male was always strangely quiet so only a hushed growl escaped his lips. The lack of noise did nothing to soothe the venom in his growl, though.

His head rose, a second growl forming unreleased in his throat, to snap his teeth at a songbird joyfully calling out for its mate. No one had the right to be so happy on a day like this one!
Have you read my player preferences?
Played by Joe who has 377 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Vaken Svart
OOC: hey sorry I didn't see this thread until today!!!

I feel numb, born with a weak heart

“What that bird ever do to you?” Vaken’s tone was fairly light, but his words were rather emotionless. He was only speaking to let the male know he was there, relaxing under the warm sun. It was very hot, so he curled up under a tree in the shade. It did very little to bring down his body temperature, but he had no better ideas. Salivating off his tongue in quick, frantic breaths, the yearling was warmer than he had been in days. 

He drooled onto the ground and groaned, trying his hardest to catch a cold breeze. There wasn’t much air circulating. He sighed, dropping his head on his paws. He couldn’t imagine what it was like for Ferrieran, since the male was completely black. Vaken’s legs were a few degrees hotter than the rest of his body because of it.

I guess I must be having fun
currently travelling with Circe (she can jump in any of his threads)
[Image: bountyhunter_otb_by_a_yellow_bird-dc8zt91.png]
Inactive No Rank
Ferreiran Morse
No worries!
Ferreiran was startled by the voice before he realized who it came from. Vaken was laying under a tree, though he hadn't noticed his arrival. It wasn't so surprising really. He normally would have loved this forest. The heat burning into his dark fur made it impossible to enjoy it, though. That was saying something for a male who liked forests better than wolves.

He settled onto his rump, sitting with his tail stretched behind him. Bright beams of sunlight filtered through the trees, warming his pelt horribly as he watched the patchy wolf. The dark male grinned at the question, although his thoughts quickly turned to despair over the heat as saliva dripped from his panting tongue. He found himself wishing for rain, anything to cool him down. Or maybe a blizzard. A blizzard would be great.
Inactive No Rank
Vaken Svart

Letting out a loudly obnoxious yawn, the tangled haired boy rolled onto his back. He felt carefree and comfortable, but the heat was negatively impacting his mood. Trying to brush it off, the small yearling scrambled closer into the shade. “What are we gonna do today?”

There weren’t a lot of options. It was too hot for a lot of activity. He glanced around the woods, trying to figure out his plans. He didn’t want to go swimming. He wasn’t hungry- and it was too hot to hunt. He wasn’t necessarily thirsty. Exhaling deeply, Vaken stretched out his hind legs and wagged his tail slowly. They just had to rest for now. Once sun began to set, maybe they would practice fighting with one another. He wanted to work on his combat skills, and Ferreiran was the best wolf for it. “You must be dying with all that black fur. You feeling okay?”

He looked over at his buddy with a quizzical glare. It was hard to tell what Ferreiran was thinking and feeling sometimes, but it didn’t hurt to ask.

Inactive No Rank
Ferreiran Morse
Ferreiran shrugged. He didn't really want to do anything until it cooled off. It was too hot. He idly wondered if the coyotes would feel the same. He hoped so, but that led to the question of which one he would prefer. If he was in a place he felt safe from them, he would wholeheartedly pick cooling down, but he was quickly learning that there was none. Having other wolves around you was the only way to be truly safe from coyotes. But he would never want that either. Were the coyotes bad enough to join a pack? The dark wolf didn't know how to answer that question.

"No," Ferreiran answered honestly, a smile on his face. He didn't usually like questions, since what you really needed to know could be easily determined by just watching the wolf's behavior, but he permitted it with Vaken. Even though he could probably know the answer very easily, and possibly knew it before he asked.
Inactive No Rank
Vaken Svart

Bubbling laughter rose through the small wolf’s throat. He chuckled for a few minutes under his breath, shaking his head in disbelief. The other wolf didn’t speak much, which made it funnier when he did. His blatant honesty was well respected to the yearling, something he admired. Showing a rare sign of empathy, the speckled wolf opened his mouth to speak. “You can sleep for a bit if you need too, I can keep watch.”

Vaken wasn’t tired, and was certain he’d manage to be alert and on guard for the other wolf. The heat took all the energy out of him and he knew that the other wolf could probably use some safe sleep. Rolling back onto his belly, Vaken stretched his neck by tilting his head left and right.

Inactive No Rank
Ferreiran Morse
Ferreiran gave a chuckle or two at the laughter coming from his friend. It was contagious, even though he really didn't think it was so funny. He wasn't trying to impress anyone with his answer. He was just being honest. Although, admittedly, he knew a lot of wolves would see it as a joke.

He didn't respond to Vaken's offer of guarding him in his sleep with anything other than a twitch of his ear as he thought about it. He wasn't really all that tired, but who knew when he would get this kind of chance again? Being a lone wolf was hard. Not the physiological loneliness, the dark wolf had always kinda been a loner, and didn't mind that. But before he left his birth pack, he reaped all the benefits of being in a pack while also being able to escape it if he wanted to. He nodded and stretched out his paws. He might not sleep, but he could at least rest.
Inactive No Rank
Vaken Svart

If Ferreiran was going to rest, it was up to Vaken to distract himself. Slowly the male rose to his feet and yawned. He wasn’t going to stray to far from the black male, not when he was meant to keep watch, but he had to do something. If he just stayed laying there, he was going to want to sleep too. There had to be something worth entertaining himself with.

Sniffing along the forest floor, the small boy tried to count the small flowers he saw. The grass was getting incredibly dry, almost turning yellow. There weren’t many flowers at all. They weren’t getting the water they needed to thrive. Walking about ten feet away from his resting companion, Vaken could only count three- no wait four- flowers. “Are you asleep yet?” he called towards his friend.

(This post was last modified: Aug 06, 2018, 08:00 PM by Vaken.)
Inactive No Rank
Ferreiran Morse
{ooc}Gonna make it pretty late so they actually want to do something other than lay around, since that's kind of boring. Hope that's ok.[\ooc]
"No," he answered, a bit of a complaining tone in his voice. He felt too hot to sleep. Even if Ferreiran always acted older than he really was, he was still just a yearling, and every once in a while had to whine at the world a bit. It was no fault of anyone, and he knew he couldn't do anything about it. "Too hot."

He got to his feet. There was really nothing to do, since the heat made hunting, or really any physical activity, unbearable. Yellow eyes glanced around, and saw that the sun was sinking in the sky. It wasn't quite sunset yet, but already clouds were being painted a pale pink. Soon it would hopefully be cool enough to do something. Exactly what, Ferreiran wasn't sure. They could try to sniff out some prey, or just play around.
(This post was last modified: Aug 06, 2018, 08:26 PM by Ferreiran.)
Inactive No Rank
Vaken Svart
OOC: I was thinking we'd have a thread in whisper marsh taking place right after they end this one?
This is Vaken's exit- slight pp of Ferreiran's exit

When his companion got up, Vaken smiled. Even though he had offered the wolf his protection, he didn’t want Ferreiran to sleep- not really. He wanted to do something. The most important thing he could think of was travelling, learning more about the area. Drinking water would be good, if they could first a clean source. There was a lot for them to do now that the sun was setting, but Vaken craved leaving the area more than anything. 

Shaking out his fur, the yearling gestured towards the east with his nose. “We should move out. The coyotes are going to come for us if we keep hanging around.” He didn’t feel like fighting any of them tonight, especially just to defend a piece of land that wasn’t theirs. He’d much prefer leaving, finding something with better prey to feast on. Now that the night breeze would be on them, they could afford to waste some energy.

He started to walk back the way they had come, a slow walking pace, keeping pace with Ferreiran. Together the two of them drifted off into the shadows.

*fade*

(This post was last modified: Aug 21, 2018, 07:22 PM by Vaken.)