(See All?) Announcements
380 Users Online
Oleander, Google, Juniper, Apollo, Bing

I guess I'll never learn — Fireweed Rise 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Joe who has 377 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Vaken Svart
OOC: for @Ravenna sorry it took so long and is kinda short!

I feel numb, born with a weak heart

The yearling had little appreciation for flowers, stomping through the meadow with a empty glare. He smashed his paws against them, grinding them into the dirt as he walked. It wasn’t that he disliked them, he barely acknowledged their existence. He kept a slow steady pace, his body relaxed. He wasn’t in the greatest mood. The coyotes had been driving him irate. They showed up at the worst times, chased him until his legs were weak- or worse. Sometimes they’d catch him. It wasn’t too often, but there were a few times that the creatures had caught up to him and he had to fight his way out. This was making his health subpar at best. It was clear from his torn up pelt and slight limp that he had seen better days.

He was still surviving though. It wasn’t anything to worry about, or else he’d return to the pack and ask Garmir for help. It was just little impairing his freedom, and that was enough to make him travelling a nuisance. Yet, he continued to move south, both out of stupidity and curiosity.

I guess I must be having fun
(This post was last modified: Aug 19, 2018, 02:50 AM by Vaken.)
Played by Vami who has 488 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Ravenna Archer-Lyall
That's perfectly fine!

and with a spark its going to be

It had already been fourteen weeks since the silvery furred queen had given birth to her first litter of pups. Raised along the side of her best friend and nephew's litter, the four children grew up as siblings in a large, mix-matched family. They didn't bother questioning it too much, not now and perhaps not ever. As they grew she knew they would grasp the concept of raising pups together for the best odds of survival, of taking on more then one consort, of adopting one in as family, and of a Pack being family all on its own, blood or not. Already the pups had learned so much, grown so much. They followed the adults in border patrol, hunts within the territory and learned how to track, spar and search for herbs. They had been safe and sheltered within the territory of Willow Ridge like the majority of its members though one day hopefully soon, when enough coyote had been killed and they dispersed, Ravenna would take her pups to see more of their family beyond that of the Ridge. For now, it would be just a simple venture outside the Pack's territory to the Rise field just south.

From here, the pale woman could see out far into the distance, the flat open ground giving her the time needed to take her pup back to the safety of the border of needed. They were not far from their Pack's territory, not at all, but just enough to give some sense of adventure to the child and to allow Ravenna to search for some herbs that grew here in the field. "This field grows a lot of medical plants and it's also a good place for hunting rabbit and other small rodents. Sometimes you might catch deer crossing here to graze but it's hard to sneek up on them out in the open. If there isn't an injured one in the herd it's best to just follow, wait until they reach the forest." She spoke to her son, a smile dancing over her features as the young mother lifted her head high and tossed it over her shoulder back to the Drooping Willows. When she sought out on her duties today Ragnar had caught up with her and she wondered where Freyja had gone and whom she was following. There was little worry that her pups were not being watched but it was always who was watching them and what they would be learning today which was always left to question. When they settled for the night surely she would be informed of the latest venture.

the biggest fire they've ever seen

Played by Vami who has 37 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Ragnar Stormborn

The little golden prince was hardly little any longer. His paws felt so large under his footing below long, spidery limbs and his body felt more awkward now then ever ask it fought to grow into place. At this point in his youth he would be growing at a rapid pace, his milk teeth falling out to be replaced with full canines and his eyes, once a deeper puppy blue had now paled to a icy coloration like that of one of his father's. Sometime within the next few months as the weather grew cooler his mother would take him beyond the safety of his home, much further then today in order to see more of his family. He longed for the exploration though was content as his mother's side now as they visited the edges of the Fireweed Rise. Here the land was flat and open, nothing but talk grasses and red flower. Beyond this there was more, far more. There was a whole world out there for him to see and one day he would view it all. Though he equally knew knowledge was power and he stayed here with his big puppy dreams learning all he could from his elders.

His mother spoke now to tell him about finding plants here and about what kind of prey came around through here. Silently he listened, his golden backed ears turning into her direction before his eyes met her face. "Looks like a good place for a run too." His legs itched for a run, to break out some energy. Looking back outward at the vast field he heard his mother's playful growl from behind him, her nip at his tail to edge him on and like a shot of lightning the young boy bolted forward out into the open meadow, his mother at his flank. He laughs and growls out a bark playfully, bounding forward on long legs as he looked over the lands with wide icy eyes. Soon, another canine came into view. At first with his smaller stature he thought it might be another one of those coyote but by his coat color and taking in his scent on the breeze he realized that not to be true. He was a wolf, like them, young too but not so much as he. Slowly down to a trot he scampered backwards and to his mother's side. "Hey-There's someone out there!"

Inactive No Rank
Vaken Svart

He smelt the company before he saw them. At first, they smelt distant, so he continued his route forward without much concern. He had figured the wolves had left the area already, leaving behind a lingering odour. It was only until the small cub bounded towards him that he realized how wrong he was. The youngster stuck out like a sore thumb, his fur a glistening gold among the red flowers. Instantly, the yearling went still. The smell wasn’t old, instead it was very fresh. Clearly belonging to the bouncing blonde boy and a woman, assumably his mother.

He couldn’t see the mother yet. Instead, he watched as the boy raced off. Quickly- Vaken noted with narrowed eyes. It was hard to make details out of him, but it was clear he was still a pup. Not much of a threat on his own, but with a protective mother? Vaken was hesitant to do anything. He was a inquisitive boy, wanting to learn what he could about the area around him. The last thing he wanted was a fight though- he knew how mothers could be. The pup’s concern of Vaken made the yearling sniff the air once more, checking for status. A lone wolf, even a pup, usually wasn’t so quick to race off. This pup smelt like others, many others.

Unfreezing his body, the tense yearling dropped his shoulders and stretched out his body. Without saying anything, he returned to his activities. He didn’t call out for the others. He didn’t want to pressure them into greetings. If they wanted to avoid his company, they could leave the meadow. He dropped himself onto a pile of blossoming flowers, stretching out and laying on his belly.

currently travelling with Circe (she can jump in any of his threads)
[Image: bountyhunter_otb_by_a_yellow_bird-dc8zt91.png]
Inactive No Rank
Ravenna Archer-Lyall

It was nice to just go out and stretch her legs. She remembered what it was like to run freely in the open field, to roll around in the flowers, to look up at the stars at night without any trees or rock blocking bet view. For awhile now, months since the lands had warmed up for the summer, the pack had otherwise remained within their protective walls. It was a nice change of pace and so fat at least, not a coyote in sight.

Though as she gave hast after her son she would soon learn they still were not alone. She let the distance between them lengthen if only to give her pup a chance before tackling him. However Ragnar turned around and bounced back, stating someone was out there. She paused, tensing and alert, her body lifting high and ears perked forward. Her tail stood out, stiffened. Was it a coyote? A loner? One of the neighborhood packs lead by her siblings? Only one way to find out...

Ravenna needed not tell her son to stay at her side when she began moving towards the other wolf. Making way and cresting over one of the various little hills she would see him lounging in the grass, content amongst the flowers. He was a smaller wolf and looked quite roughened up, much like @Laurel had been and likely due to the same reason. It was harder now on loners then ever even with it being summer. "Coyotes giving you a hard time too, I see?"

Inactive No Rank
Ragnar Stormborn

Ragnar would watch as his mother's posture changed with the knowledge that someone else was near. Her body lifted from its playful stance into her full height, erect and tense, poised and ready to take action. He would follow her movements at her side as they approached, tumbling nearly with an excitement to watch how his mother handled strangers outside of the Pack's territory. Stopping at her side he remained silent as she spoke to the stranger and mentioned the coyotes.

Now closer her could see the other wolf's fur looked rather unkempt, he was thin and had various wounds on his body. Having always and ever been a pack wolf Ragnar couldn't imagine how hard it would be living on your own without friends, family... No one to hunt with, sleep with at night and watch your back. It sounded horrible and yet Ragnar's imagination ran wild with where this wolf came from, what all he had seen in the world, what all he had accomplished in it.

Inactive No Rank
Vaken Svart

The boy’s ears twitched forward when the woman spoke, his attention caught. His eyes grazed over her body, slightly amazed by her beautiful grey pelt. He had met very few light furred wolves, but there was something especially striking about the glistening silver. They blended into her grey eyes beautifully, but the young wolf didn’t gawk. Instead, he moved his gaze to the young pup and offered a slight, welcoming smile. He had an unexpected soft spot for children. It was apparent to him that he did not seem the most inviting on first impressions, so he tried his best to be non-threatening. He stayed curled up on the ground, exposing his throat momentarily to hopefully ease the tension.

If not for the mother, for the child. He was sure the woman knew he was already no threat. She was larger than him, stronger, in much better condition. It was an act of submission to the child as well, in a cheesy overplayed way to help break the ice. “I’m giving them a run for their money,” he lied, a cocky grin spreading out onto his features.

He looked over his shoulder, taking in his few cuts and scraps. His smile lessened, but he only sighed and returned his focus back on the lady. “Lot of these are from other wolves rather than the coyotes.” He looked nervously towards her child, hoping not to overwhelm him. It was pretty mature subject matter, but he continued. He lifted his golden gaze back to the silver eyes of the woman. “Tensions seem to be running high lately, lot less forgiving wolves.”

Inactive No Rank
Ravenna Archer-Lyall

As Ravenna and Ragnar approached the male did not lift from his placement but remained laying on the ground, curled up and even lifted his chin to the side to expose his throat. A display which was both submissive and vulnerable and thus leaving his posture showing he was of no threat to them. In this placement she was sure her son was swift enough to avoid any snapping jaws should the stranger attack and already on the ground it would take little effort for Ravenna to overpower the young wolf. Due these circumstances she allowed her child to stay near and listen in.

"Well you are still alive." The woman commented when he said he was giving them a run for their money, a smirk forming over her features which matched the male's own expression. Then he admitted that the majority of his injuries were from other wolves then coyote. With tensions high surely the loners were fighting amongst themselves too, for food likely and even so loners might be more likely to steal from Pack wolves now that the coyote were taking more. A thought like this perhaps would have put the leader on edge was she not certain her pack could run out any threat with ease. "I can imagine. The coyote have been making things more difficult for us. Hunting, searching for herbs, teaching ours pups... As a loner, well..." Her silver eyes danced over his body. It was obvious for wolves like him it was worse which was obvious. Wolves were always meant to be pack animals.

Inactive No Rank
Ragnar Stormborn

This stranger remained laying on the ground in a manner which a lot of his packmates did, unknowingly to make themselves appear smaller, less threatening. It worked. Ragnar felt as ease before the wolf, his posture showing he didn't mean them any harm and his mother being at his side was a huge help too. He spoke about the coyotes, how he was fighting them off but a lot of his wounds were from less friendly wolves he had ran into. Ragnar in his youth was lucky he hadn't incountered anything like that just yet. His pack was safe and strong.

"Why you a loner? Why no pack?" Especially in times like this. Ragnar would understand wanting to explore, wanting to know the world around him but without a partner to travel with? Without a place to settle down safely for the night?

Inactive No Rank
Vaken Svart

The boy was not put off by the child’s curiosity. Instead, he was humoured. A smile played along his features and he went silent, mentally conflicted. Did the child deserve brutal honesty? Sure, the kid was young, but the truth never hurt- did it? Words bunched up in his throat. He smugly looked at the ground and chuckled to himself. He didn’t want to overstep his bounds and insult the lifestyle of his mother, but it was hard.

He sheepishly glimpsed up at the grey furred woman, an apologetic expression on his face. Then, very slowly, he returned his attention back to the boy. “Lots of reasons,” he said simply, testing the words. He didn’t want to blow the boy’s question off, belittle him, but with his mother right there? Vaken wasn’t about to brainwash a youth when it could cause tension. Instead of listing off his propaganda, he kept it short and sweet. “I like to eat first and keep my tail high and go wherever I want. I don’t like to submit to anyone,” he jerked his head in agreement with himself. “I don’t want a leader, but I’m not ready to be one either.”

He looked around the flower field contently. That’s why he was in this predicament, constantly moving. He wasn’t responsible, mature, well-mannered. He was still an adolescent, with a lot to learn. He was having too much fun to adjust his bad behaviour. He shook his head, clearing his thoughts. “You’ll understand one day,” he said distractedly, sniffing the air. He looked back at the grey woman, unashamed.