(See All?) Announcements
294 Users Online
Nadine, Bing, Baidu, Khalon, Nash, Google

Roll the Bones
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Staff who has 4,811 posts.
This is a special hunt thread for @Daesamar & @Ferreiran. Please note that after this initial post, you will control the prey and outcome of the hunt.

Roll the Bones

The summer sun is hanging low in the sky - within the hour it will have disappeared below the horizon. Along the water's edge a small herd of deer is preparing to seek shelter for the night. A few spirited calves are playing in the shallow water, but are slowly being called to their mother's sides. A few, however, are more spirited than the others and have wandered a little farther away, making them easy targets for any predators lurking in the woods.
Played by Wolfsong who has 106 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Ferreiran Morse
Ferreiran frowned. He had left @Vaken to go on a little hunting trip, but his luck so far had been abysmal. Not only had he not caught even a single scent of rabbit or deer, nothing was showing up. Right then, he would settle for a field mouse! He trudged onward, increasingly losing hope.

Then, right before he was about to call it quits, he smelt something. He took a deeper sniff. A herd of deer. Not big, but he wasn't feeding a pack. He licked his lips, already savoring the meal. But he smelled another wolf, a stranger. A growl rose from his throat unbidden, and he didn't bother to push it back. My food! He bristled, but stayed quiet, waiting.
Have you read my player preferences?
Played by Brian who has 206 posts.
Inactive XI. Subordinate
Daesamar Silverveil
Please forgive me for this long overdue post.

The large yearling had crept down from the Tarn in search of food. The pack’s numbers were slimming, it proved to be both a blessing and a curse at the same time. They were able to feed the remaining members with fewer hunts, but there were also fewer wolves to participate in the day to day activities. Young and fit, He was eager to take up any task he could to pass the time and help secure the pack’s territory. The sun was starting to fall, it suited the primarily black wolf just fine, night time was his favorite time to hunt. He felt like a wraith at times, stalking noiselessly through the trees to suddenly appear and swoop down on unsuspecting prey.

The was a small creek that ran nearby, licking his lips Daesamar was looking forward to quenching his thirst before he began his nightly hunt. Coming closer and closer to the unseen water he paused when he heard splashing. His charcoal black nostrils flared, his stomach rumbling when he realized what it was. Luck seemed to be on his side, a herd of deer lurked nearby. The sudden low growl caused his silver eyes to narrow. Daesamar’s hackles rose slightly. He was more than happy to share, any other time, but he had a pack to feed now. He let his own warning growl emit, deep from with his chest. The low and forbearing rumble was loader then he planned, one of the deer, a female froze suddenly at the water’s edge.
[Image: q2GKNw0.jpg]
[Image: cwt.png]
Inactive No Rank
Ferreiran Morse
[Image: 2lxjdyf.png]

What use are words

Ferreiran wasn't particularly surprised by the growl. Any wolf with a scent of pack like this one had would do the same. He stalked towards the sound, stiff-legged. He would get this food if there was any chance. The pack wolf didn't need the food, he wanted it. The dark male was in much greater need of food. He wasn't starving at the moment, but extra food was never a bad thing.

The sight of the large male almost persuaded him to abandon the herd of deer. He was no match for this wolf and he knew it. But he stayed there, driven by superhuman stubbornness. "Grrrr," he growled again, then readied himself for an attack that was surely coming soon, once the wolf realized he was so much smaller.

If you understand my thoughts

(This post was last modified: Oct 06, 2018, 12:36 PM by Ferreiran.)
Inactive XI. Subordinate
Daesamar Silverveil
Daesamar narrowed his eyes, his large frame tensing as he prepared for a sudden attack. His ears perked, attentive for any noise that might betray the other wolf’s location. Slowly he glanced over his shoulder, shifting toward a tree when he heard it. The low growl and before long the small, very small canine appeared. He looked ready for a fight and Daesamar would respond in turn if it turned into that.

His main concern was the herd though, sniffing the air he only picked up the loner’s scent. He had a pack nearby to feed. The yearling’s onyx colored hackles rose higher., his ivory fangs flashing before he froze. The pack was doing alright, more was always welcome. He wasn’t the only hunter though, there were others that could help. He was always able to catch something later anyway. What about this loner though? Looking him over quickly, Daesamar noticed he wasn’t starving either, but that didn’t make things easier.

“We could work together.” he said softly, flicking his crooked right ear toward the herd, hopeful that they hadn’t heard them yet. “Keep growling like that and you’ll chase them off and neither of us will be eating tonight. We can work together or fight and shed useless blood, but I live near here, I'll be taken care of, can you say the same?” He was hoping to reason with the smaller wolf, trying to convince him to see the strength in sharing a hunt. The fact though that Ferrian would get the shorter end of the stick in a fight was just another reminder, Daesamar had learned not to underestimate size, he'd treat any enemy as if they were his own size.
Inactive No Rank
Ferreiran Morse
short post

What use are words

Ferreiran stopped growling for a moment, considering the wolf's words. He often tried his best to avoid a fight anyway, being not much bigger than a large coyote. Being hurt and not able to hunt was an ever present threat if you weren't in a pack.

After a few seconds of thinking he nodded. "Ferreiran," he introduced himself. He flicked his tail. "Let's get a little one." The young adult was all business when it came to hunting. Maybe that was why he actually talked before it. He needed a plan or everything would go south.

Inactive XI. Subordinate
Daesamar Silverveil
Daesamar Silverveil
There are only two ways to live your life: as though nothing is a miracle, or as though everything is a miracle.

The other wolf relaxed and so did Daesamar, his hackles flattened out and he gave a small nod in agreement. That was good then, between the two of them, they’d be able to take down something decently sized and share it. When his new companion introduced himself Daesamar looked off toward the deer, peering over the bushes. It looked like their brief confrontation hadn’t drawn too much attention. The herd was still settling down. At that point Daesamar could smell them on the breeze and realized how lucky they had been, they were downwind of the herd.

Turning his attention back onto Ferreiran and nodding The yearling grinned briefly before dipping his head slightly. “Daesamar.” in the introduction of himself before nodding in agreement. “I agree, I saw a couple of the calves still in the water, if we work quickly and together we could probably overwhelm one and drown it or kill it, and drive the rest off at the same time.”

Inactive No Rank
Ferreiran Morse

What use are words

"Hmmm.." he said, eyes glancing over the straying calves hungrily. Then he spotted one that seemed to be the farthest away from it's mother, and also away from the other calves, who might send up an alert and get in the way. It was splashing in the water alone. Ferreiran was reminded for a second of himself in the solitary calf. He almost wished he could attack a more social calf, just to prove that being in a group didn't always save you. But it would be ridiculous to risk bringing on the hooves of an angry mother for his whim. He set his jaw. "That one," he said, pointing with his muzzle.

He hoped that the other wolf didn't notice his hesitation. The calf would be easy to kill, and fill his belly just as well as a difficult kill.

(This post was last modified: Oct 09, 2018, 11:18 AM by Ferreiran.)
Inactive XI. Subordinate
Daesamar Silverveil
Daesamar Silverveil
There are only two ways to live your life: as though nothing is a miracle, or as though everything is a miracle.

Daesamar looked out over the bushes, he didn’t need to duck and had an almost unobstructed view of the calf pointed out by Ferreiran. He tilted his head slightly while judging their chances against that one verse any of the other. It looked good for the two of them. Satisfied he gave a small nod and glanced at his hunting companion.

“Alright, so what I’m thinking is one of us goes after the calf, the other rushes along the shore to drive the rest off. Do you think that’d work? We could both go after the calf and one cut off once it’s down to try and drive them off.” The yearling’s inquisitive nature was getting the best of him and now it had him doubting himself, what if there was another way to go about it? Something they may have overlooked? The mother could easily come after them and that could end in a nasty confrontation.

Inactive No Rank
Ferreiran Morse
Oof, my table looks so bad. I'm just going to delete it and maybe fix it later
The shadowy wolf nodded. "I'll take the calf." Daesamar was larger than he was, and would probably be better at scaring off the herd than the undersized male. Experienced elk would probably waste no time in landing a hoof on a small furry back. Of course, this was a threat to both of them, but more so to him.

At least that was what Ferreiran told himself, as he prepared for the hunt. No need to put himself in more danger than he had to, right?
(This post was last modified: Oct 13, 2018, 04:29 PM by Ferreiran. Edit Reason: table )