(See All?) Announcements
498 Users Online
Google, Bing

while my guitar gently weeps — Roamer's Rest 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Cade (inactive characters) who has 187 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Leviticus Armstead
For @Rochus only.

Levi had come home with food for the both of them, but @Sawyer hadn't returned by the time he had. It happened, was certainly no big deal, but still he decided to wait for his friend rather than eat without him. He stuffed the dead hares into a corner of the hollow that they'd set up camp in, not one bit worried about otherwise protecting them, even as the scent of their fresh blood permeated the clearing. He was certain the redhead would be back soon enough, and certainly before the meat spoiled. As for theft, well when did things like that actually happen, especially in such a quiet forest like this?

The yearling then promptly chose to busy himself with play while he waited. He'd found himself a sturdy stick, thinner than a full branch but not brittle like sticks usually were, and absorbed himself in all the usual games; tossing, chasing, gnawing. When those things lost his interest, he'd started dragging the stick around through the mostly unmarred snow, and exploring what kinds of shapes he could make.

Eventually, the lines and loops began to take shape; a flower, the sun, an eye...
Played by Melorama who has 100 posts.
Dead Empress Backwater IV. Advisor
Rochus Ward
Rochus wearily made his way through the snowy ground, taking care not to step and fall into the seemingly myriad of hidden holes covered by the thick snow. He still felt a little tired, like his mind had not fully awoken from a deep sleep, from whatever those... creature had done to him. It had felt like a prick in his skin, something similar to the bite of an insect, and then he had felt overwhelmed with a sudden wave of exhaustion. Next thing he knew, he was here, on the edge of this open plain, and no sea anywhere in sight.

He lifted his head as the scent of fresh blood wafted his way on the breeze, but instead of it smelling so tantalizing like it usually would, it made his stomach churn. Nonetheless, he figured he would investigate regardless, and maybe get a free meal once his stomach settled. It did not take long before he came upon a wolf darting around, stick in mouth, clearly absorbed in whatever they were doing. He shook his head slightly, the slightest frown pulling his mouth into a scowl at the sight. This was no time for play, not when there were caches to fill and survival to focus on.

His paws stopped him a distance away from the rambunctious wolf, not quite feeling up to dealing with their antics right at that moment, but the allure of scoring a potentially free meal was too much for him to just turn around and walk away. Forcing a smile upon his face, Rochus stepped just a little closer, making sure his posture was relaxed as he called out to the wolf. "Hello there! I do hope I'm not disturbing anything."
Inactive No Rank
Leviticus Armstead
Levi had gotten pretty enthralled in what he was doing, and ended up forgetting entirely to pay attention to the surroundings around him. It certainly wasn't the first time, and likely wouldn't be the last, either. The stranger's deep voice caused the youth to start, but Levi was disarmed easily enough by the other's smile and friendly words.

"Hi!" he chirped back around the stick still held betwixt his fangs.

"No' a' all."

Levi twisted round and quickly finished the line that he had been disturbed in the middle of. Then he chose to put down his makeshift pencil, and fully turned to face the uninvited guest. His head tilted while he waited for what it was that this other wolf wanted.
[Image: qfzMxz5.png]
Rochus Ward
The boy spoke cheerfully, his words muffled by the stick between his jaws, and Rochus had to hold back a snort of annoyance as he then proceeded to continue whatever he was doing. The lad was too old for such playful nature at this point, but Rochus did not want to annoy the boy by lecturing him and risking losing a potential free meal.

He allowed a look of concern to show on his face, glancing around as if he was looking for someone else. "Are you here all alone? It's dangerous for one your age to be on their own in winter." It might be easier to get what he wanted if this boy was out on his own as he could play the caring father role very well when he needed to. If there was another wolf around, particularly if they were older, it would make it a little more difficult.
Inactive No Rank
Leviticus Armstead
The man seemed very clearly to be concerned about finding young Levi all on his lonesome. The youth wagged his tail again, quick to ease the stranger's kind worry.

"Nah, I'm travelin' with my buddy Sawyer," he told him, then nodded his muzzle toward the entrance to their little temporary shelter within a nearby tree, where the scent of meat was emanating from.

"We been stayin' in that tree actually, it's super cozy. What about you?"

Levi's head twisted, showing curiosity and empathy for this man's own situation. He didn't smell like a pack wolf, that was for sure, but hopefully he had a traveling partner too. Everyone needed someone, after all, even adults.
Rochus Ward
Rochus looked towards where the boy had motioned, a quick sniff of the air confirming that the smell of fresh blood was coming from inside the sheltered area. He noticed how the boy called Sawyer his 'buddy', and reached the assumption that this other wolf was unlikely to be an adult such as him. This was good for his plan, but he would still be more circumspect than usual given the circumstances.

"I'm glad you've got a friend nearby," he said with another forced smile, trying to make his voice sound as warm and friendly as he could manage, given his mind was still a little... off. He shook his head at the boy's question, "No I'm on my own. I recently got split up from my family and haven't been able to find them yet." A frown appeared on his face as he allowed a soft sigh to escape from his lips, attempting to be more melancholic than he really felt. Maybe the boy would pity him and offer up some food of his own volition.
Inactive No Rank
Leviticus Armstead
The relief the stranger voiced appeared genuine to Levi, causing his smile to grow. He seemed to have been having a lot of good luck when meeting others lately.

The expression left, however, when the other wolf said he was alone. Separated from family and searching for them without any one to help him or keep him company? Levi couldn't help his ears and tail drooping empathetically. He could certainly relate, maybe not with all of it, but still in key ways that especially pulled at his heartstrings.

"I'm so sorry to hear that. That must be so frustrating," he sympathized, brows drawn in concern.

"Who are they? Maybe I've met them?"
Rochus Ward
He nodded along with the boy's words, internally satisfied with the response. This was all going very well so far, but he did not want to push his luck too far too soon. "Yes, this is a very regrettable circumstance, but it is nice to meet someone as friendly as you who may be able to help me." Just a small nudge here and there and he may be able to get his way if all the cards fell into the right positions.

Rochus perked his ears up, giving a partial wag of his tail to make the boy think he was excited at his words and what they could hold, but truth be told there was some real eagerness in his actions. If he could find his family, then maybe he still had a chance at reclaiming what he had worked so hard for, and maybe even gain more power than what he had already had. "There are quite a few of them, some of them older like me, but quite a few around your age. My own son and daughter may be among them, they go by Vayko and Sharlee. Valle is the last name of my family." He let an earnest look cross his face, truthfully hopeful at the prospect of finding either his children or one of the other Valle adults.
Inactive No Rank
Leviticus Armstead
Levi was hopeful too, and felt his own measure of disappointment as the names that left the older man's tongue did not ring any bells. More than anything, he just felt terrible for the guy. What an awful position to be in.

"I'm sorry," he said, and his features made clear how much he meant it, ears crumpled and the corners of his mouth pulled downwards, "none of those names are familiar, but I'll definitely remember them. I've been looking for someone too, he's just a friend but I can imagine..."

Well, no, he probably couldn't. Levi wasn't a father, not even close to it.

"I'm Levi. What's your name? Maybe, I can at least tell them you're here looking for them, if I ever do run into them?"
(This post was last modified: Apr 26, 2021, 01:59 AM by Leviticus.)
Rochus Ward
Rochus let his ears droop in a show of disappointment, though he truthfully was a little disappointed at the boy's lack of knowledge. Scratch that plan. But he could not let himself dwell on such things, for that meant he had to continue either searching for the others, or come up with a completely new plan. Neither would be easy, but he thought himself quite a determined wolf.

"Rochus," he offered in return, forcing a hopeful smile onto his face. "Who's your friend? Perhaps I could do the same for you should I happen to cross their path." In truth he would not do such a thing, but maybe if he lied and said he would the boy would be gracious enough to let him rest nearby, or potentially even grab a bite to eat for the road. For he was not hungry now, but he knew hunger would strike sooner rather than later.