Bing, Google

cold doesn't cover it — Spectral Woods 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Switch who has 205 posts.
Inactive VI. Subordinate
Lila Aquila
RE:Lila, you've caught a nasty cold!

I think there's a flaw in my code

Why Lila had thought about asking for company on this trip, she wasn't ready for it. So she'd told the mountain wolves she was headed east to see about a few things, but would be back. Most important yes, she had to go alone. Grief was something she rather do in solitude even if they didn't know that. It wasn't the best, but for now it was better than avoiding the Bend all together. Right now she liked the fact no one on the mountain seemed to know what had happened. Odd, maybe. But, she was never one to let everything good or bad spill from her lips too easily to anyone and everyone. Sometimes it was because she felt no one was worthy of hearing it, but usually she thought no one would care in the first place. She'd gotten blank stares, just for admitting she hadn't had a real father. She didn't imagine saying her childhood home had burned down would be much different. So, yeah she kept things like that to herself. She didn't want anyone looking at her like that again. She didn't want sadness and pity either.

Once more she took her time getting to her new destination. Fresh snow made the mountain more dangerous, and she was still trying to mentally prepare herself. Not that she ever would. Still she made fair progress, getting down the mountain without trouble. By evening the woods were in her reach, and she no longer took an easy pace. The familiar mist rose around her, and she felt some kind of peace being in her own woods again. This time she knew exactly where she was headed, and the best way to get there. It felt good. Maybe, she should have done this sooner.

Maybe she shouldn't have.

Before the sun was quite up she realized she couldn't breath in or out of her nose well and her throat was raw because of it. She attempted to adjust her head a little higher hoping it might help, and she could go back to sleep. When she moved there was pain above her brow. A small grunt, she pushed herself up to a sit, taking a slow breath through her mouth. The effort made her want to gag, but she wasn't about to do that. Ok, she was probably alone, but wasn't about to count on her nose. Might as well get a drink, maybe that would get some of the crud moving.

A CHOO! A CHOO!

Lila couldn't even make it to the creek without sneezing every other stride. Then for the sake of some dignity she'd stop to wipe the snot on her foreleg. Anyone within five miles could probably her parade of achoos because she'd given up suppressing them. That had only made them louder. At this rate the sun was making further progress, and she'd be lucky to get a quarter to the Bend. Returning to the Cove? That seemed even farther at the moment.

Played by Rose who has 80 posts.
Inactive XIII. Subordinate
Sita Valle
Her dreams had been haunted by the dark and impossible glimpses into the past and future. Warm play time in the sun with her children would suddenly be consumed by storm clouds, swirling in the sky like a painting that she would never see. The purples and blues seeped seamlessly into the warm golds and reds like a poison. And everyone around her simply disappeared and she was left alone. In this moment, waking amidst the snow, she would even miss Vasco. Her mind would not allow her family to exist in her dreams. But she, in her heart, would not allow it. Sita was set in her loneliness. Walleye proved excellent company, but even still, he was a stranger to her. They would sleep apart.

And then she would rise.

Sita had been by the creek. An early riser, taking the day after a late night poking around below the coulee. She'd have to wake early if she wanted to drink. The creek was frozen over and she stood on the edge, bouncing her large forepaws against the slick glassy surface. It would never actually break, but simply dislodge from the side and be carried off by the current. The frosty water jostled her awake as she lapped it up, feeling the strain under her tongue. Cold morning indeed. And then she walked away to do her business.

That was when she heard the sneezing. Sita peered through the trees, neck curving between her shoulders as she tried to spot the source. Not readily visible to her, she howled a low noise and let her nose palpate the air.
currently travelling with walleye
Inactive VI. Subordinate
Lila Aquila

Taken by surprise the voice of another sent the hair on her back in a high ridge. Hey, it wasn't a secret Lila was here, and the stranger wasn't keeping on either. All right, she didn't want to greet anyone in this state but it sounded like they were by the stream any way. Since they'd been kind enough to clue her in, she didn't see the harm. Letting out a chuff of sorts, she trotted quickly through the trees, the tawny wolf coming into view.

She attempted to greet her,"Hi..aa choo!" She bent her nose to her side, not to parade her with snot and spit. Agitation, rose in her chest, as another sneeze paraded her shoulder. Forcing a deep breath, she then inhaled best she could through her nose, then pulled her face back around. "Mornin'" she offered, sniffing back another drip. Stopping one sneeze. There was caution in her blue gaze as she looked the woman over. They were about the same height, but she was built heavier. Looked in better shape too....kinda. There was something else she couldn't quite pin. Was there a pack here then? Her nose couldn't tell her, and she tried not to let it irritate her further. But her scratchy throat reminded her about water, and it was then she couldn't help but notice there was already a spot broke. Right now she felt a bit vulnerable to just grab one. If she had a pack these weren't her lands, she would have noticed that right? What if she was close though? Yeah, it'd be better to get some more information before she turned her back for a drink.

(This post was last modified: Feb 13, 2021, 09:01 PM by Lila.)
Sita Valle
Sita would let the sickly wolf approach her, after a few yards of plodding. No need for them to stand so close to each other if this other wolf was sick. Which it kind of seemed like she was. How unfortunate. Not a great thing to be in the thick of winter. She waited as the stranger sneezed, a lot. Perhaps she would get the chance to watch snot icicles form in real time.

When a solid few seconds had passed, Sita lifted her brows and sort of instinctively wiped her own nose with the back of her leg. Just in case. "Good morning," She surveyed the dark stranger. "You seem under the weather." Sita sat back on her haunches and her tail flipped under her a bit.
Inactive VI. Subordinate
Lila Aquila
Thanks for waiting. <3

Obviously, she wasn't doing great, but wasn't going to take her annoyance out on this lady. Maybe. "Yup," she agreed, her voice deeper than normal since breathing out of her nose wasn't a talent she possessed at the moment. She squeezed her eyes, cutting another sneeze. Achoo! Or almost. Think after all this she'd have less snot not more. With a huff, she brushed the mucus on her other shoulder.

"So...you live here?" No point in beating around the bush. Might as well try to figure out why she was in decent shape. Recently leaving her pack made sense too but Lila was more concerned if there were wolves in the area who thought they owned the place. Now, if only she could remember what her mother would have done about a cold. Even if she remembered a plant, would finding an old dried up one do her any good by the time she dug it out? If it weren't for the distance to the cove she was sorely tempted to go there. Maybe Moonshadow would know. Or one of the guys. It had been a long enough trek when she'd been healthy.

Unable to hold off any longer, she moved forward for a drink, feeling some relief as the cold water hit her throat. It seemed to still her sneezes for the time being.

(This post was last modified: Feb 25, 2021, 10:53 PM by Lila.)
Sita Valle
Her chin tipped a bit as the essence of a sneeze slipped out of the other woman again. Gods, imagine if she got sick and then got Walleye sick. It would be a disaster. Maybe it wasn't contagious. Sita knew nothing about illnesses, though. She was only vaguely educated on whatever had befallen her mother.

"I suppose I do. I was...taken from my home by humans." Her tongue would be bitten on the next words. But she wasn't sure if she wanted to go home now. Not with this new opportunity on her lap. Her children, though. If home wasn't far, maybe she could bring them back here. "Do you?" She sat up a little bit straighter as the stranger came to the water.
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
Vultures are circling something out of sight. Hunt Oppurtunity! +5 Health
Inactive VI. Subordinate
Lila Aquila

The woman's eyes widened, she'd encountered a couple once and knew she never wanted anything to do with them. "That's....messed up." There was another word, better suited but she didn't use it much. "I'm sorry I can't...imagine." It was one thing to leave home, another to be taken. No, wonder there had been something off about her. That'd screw anyone.

"I use to, but there was terrible fire over here and I left." She hadn't expected for it to all tumble out like that, because she hadn't told anyone. Huh, this cold was obviously affecting her head in more than one way. Hopefully, she could get some rest this afternoon.

There was a shadow that skirted over the water, and she lifted her head to see a vulture circling. "Do you...see that?"

Sita Valle
The words were sweet, appreciated. Sita hadn't expected them. "I couldn't either. It was jarring." To honestly say the least. Sita didn't want to bog down this stranger with her traumas. Not until she felt like she ought to.

Though it seemed like they both have traumas. Sita canted her head in surprise, then tilted it in curiousity. "It seems...Recovered?" Her words staggered as she looked about with blue eyes. Well, there was a lot of snow. Who was she to say if the fire damage could still be seen.

Her eyes followed the stranger's head. Ah, a vulture. She smiled gently. "Perhaps we should go and take a look?" Sita began to move towards the area the bird moved about.
Inactive VI. Subordinate
Lila Aquila

There was no want or need to prod about it further. She doubted it would do either one of them any good. Maybe, in different circumstances she may have had something to offer her. Now? She didn't have much to give. So she was trying not to let pity enter her blue-silver gaze because she wouldn't want to see it returned. There was just an silent understanding of pain.

But, a cold thought entered her mind. Did that mean humans were here of all places?

She appreciated the woman's own kind gesture, because roles reversed Lila would have struggled to respond. "In a way," she admitted with a faint, sad smile. Thinking of herself and the woods as still disaster areas struggling for new life.

"Lets," she agreed, happy for the distraction. Hey, it was most likely a possibility of food and that would do both of them good.