(See All?) Announcements
663 Users Online
Google, Bing

I Would Do Anything… — Larkcall Lowlands 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by PuppyThief who has 111 posts.
Lone Wolf No Rank
Vasco Halex

He was stumbling through the fog. He’d been running for hours… Days? His whole body was aching, heart beating too loud and fast in his ears. No matter how far he went, or where he turned his eyes, all he saw was white. But he had to keep going, he had to find them! Desperately gasping, he veered his head left and right, narrowing silver-grey eyes to look through the fog, but to no avail. He didn’t know where he was or how he’d gotten there, but it didn’t matter, all that mattered was finding Sita and the kids!

At first, when the Estuary wolves had started disappearing, Vasco hadn’t panicked. He figured there was a logical explanation, and honestly, he hadn’t really cared too much; until the children vanished. Though they were well into their second year, the Halex still thought of them as pups. His pups. Whether they knew it or not, Vasco was looking out for them and he was gonna find them now! If only he could get out of this blasted fog. The tawny wolf broke into a run again, ignoring his aching paws. Parting his lips, he shouted for his family.

“Sita!” Vasco’s eyes blinked open, pain shooting through his raw throat as the noise attempted to escape it; coming out more as a croak than a shout. Dazed and confused, he lifted his head from where it rested against the snow, a wave of dizziness washing over him. What was going on? Where am I? As his surroundings blurred into focus, a sickening fear filled Vasco’s stomach. He did not recognize anything, not that there was much to recognize – all around him the land was open and barren, snow stretching as far as his eyes could reach in all directions. With increasing desperation, he struggled to his feet, stretching his neck to try and catch a glimpse of any landmark, just the smallest thing to tell him where he was. Finding nothing, he did the only thing he could, raising his head and howling for his pack; If there’s anyone left…

Word Count: 348

Thoughts ”Speech”

Played by Cade (inactive characters) who has 379 posts.
Deceased
Woya Macieo
Already the desert-like landscape had gotten under her skin, setting her on edge. The tension had been relieved temporarily by the distraction of a hunt, as she successfully stole a fox's mark and came away with the triumph of possessing a particularly plump hare for that day's meal. While she had just eaten the previous night, this constant travel had worn down all of her energy reserves and forced her to eat at every single opportunity. After all, who knew when the prey would become scarce and she'd have to power through literal starvation, a fact of life for those who shed the comforts of a pack.

That had been over an hour ago now, however. It was stiff and icing over, but Woya hated eating out in the open and had thought that surely, if she just kept heading straight, she would find something. Some kind of tree, or rock or earth formation, maybe even an abandoned den site. Instead, there just continued to be nothing.

Then, out of thin frigid air, came a howl, crescendoing along with the wind and fading with it too. Woya froze, bloodied flesh still held firmly between her jaws. Likewise, she'd yet to clean the blood from her fur at all, having been so focused on getting away and finding cover. Had it been a Summer's day, she would have reeked of dead prey. As it was, she hoped the frigid cold would keep the scent from traveling and alerting the little songbird just out of sight.

Were they just out of sight? Dammit, her inner monologue cursed. She hadn't been able to tell in the moment, and certainly couldn't be sure of anything now, except that they had sounded frantic and had called for a pack. That meant trouble for her if she didn't get the hell out of dodge; she didn't have to do anything wrong for assholes to start shit with her, and if they did come and assume she was responsible for something she hadn't done...

@Huddy wouldn't be around to save her skin.

On a wing and a prayer, Woya picked a direction and bolted. She wished dearly for the best, but the poor woman didn't realize until she saw them that she had, of course, run straight to them...
(This post was last modified: Mar 11, 2021, 04:25 PM by Woya.)
[Image: X2QzmxY.png]
Lone Wolf No Rank
Vasco Halex

His mouth remained open even as the sound of his voice died, muzzle lowering to once more give him a view over the devastatingly empty land. He was gasping heavily, the fear clear in every fiber of his being. He had no memory of this place or how he’d gotten here, no idea which way to go to find familiar land once more. With his heavy breaths, his nose was filled with the scents of this foreign land, strange, unfamiliar smells of grassland herds and dry cold clouded his mind as he desperately searched for even the feintest hint of the ocean; Nothing…!

But then, a scent he recognized hit, almost like a physical blow. It wasn’t intimately familiar, yet it was one no wolf would ever mistake: the scent of other wolves; And blood! Vasco’s head jerked in the direction of the wind, eyes narrowing to see clearly over the brightness of the endless snow. At first, he saw nothing, and the panic tightened in his throat, pulse loud in his ears. But then he spotted a blur of movement, the deep maroon of drying blood standing out starkly against the white backdrop.

With his heart in his throat, Vasco ran to intercept this apparent responder to his frantic call. As he drew near, he called out through hectic breath, voice shrill with terror; “Are you okay? What happened?” He had many more questions, but it seemed too immoral to overwhelm a potentially injured stranger with his own panicked agenda. It was only after the words had left his lips that he came close enough to spot the rabbit and realize his error.

Word Count: 274

Thoughts ”Speech”

(This post was last modified: Feb 28, 2021, 09:47 PM by Vasco.)
Deceased
Woya Macieo
"Shit!" Woya cussed, but it was stoppered by the dead rodent within her mouth. She dug her paws in, trying to halt her own momentum. The attempt dug a rut into the snow, and she bunkered down into the groove the moment she realized the other wolf was headed straight for her. Her tail clung to her belly and she dropped the stiff carcass to free her jaws, so that they may be brandished angrily at the other.

She very much looked like a cornered animal, even though there was literally nothing around them but open space.

His questions caused her to revisit the encounter with the nosy woman who had chased her down then tried to play nurse. Woya decided she very much did not like this place and the kind of wolves it housed.

"Wh- ? You're the one freaking out!" she shot back, voice high pitched with exasperation and distress.

"Call them off, I didn't do anything to you!"
(This post was last modified: Apr 05, 2021, 12:13 AM by Woya.)
Lone Wolf No Rank
Vasco Halex

Her reaction to his approach was entirely perplexing; tossing her kill and hungering down as if to face a frontal attack. Of course, his mad dash towards her might have been interpreted as such, if it hadn’t been for his hysteric question; However stupid… Vasco dug his own heels in, coming to a halt a couple of lengths from the stranger, still gasping for breath – more from his deep-rooted panic than the short run. Silver eyes darted from the woman’s bloody fur to the dead rabbit, then back up to her bared teeth, brain registering all too slowly what was going on.

It was like his thoughts were moving through thick mud, his head still full of that terrible dense fog that had stolen his family. It took painfully long just to register the simple characteristics of the strange female; About equal to him in size, similarly pale fur, though marred with the blood of her prey. She was crouched clearly defensively, calling him out shrilly. We both seem to be freaking out… Some detached voice noted in the back of his mind, but the rest of him had no time to react before she continued.

Vasco blinked, brows furrowing in confusion; Call them off? That apathetic part of him was starting to wonder if perhaps she wasn’t right in the head, but his conscious mind was stuck on the phrasing of her frantic demand; Call them… Call…! And finally, after what must have been at least a minute of silence, he realized what she was talking about; “No I… I called for me! I’m lost, I’m just looking for my family!” The words slipped out before his slow-working mind had time to vet them, a ring of desperation hanging on them, betraying the panic still galloping in his chest. “Please,” he added, giving up any pretense of control; “I need to find them!”

Word Count: 314

Thoughts ”Speech”

Deceased
Woya Macieo
She could see the fear so clearly displayed by the other wolf, and not knowing where the hell it was coming from only bolstered her own sense of panic. This is it, she thought grimly, this is how I go, a red smear in a winter wasteland. No one would even know, just like they couldn't know what had happened to Hudson.

Something seemed to click inside the stranger's head, and he finally spoke. For him? Lost? Woya couldn't understand, at all. Was this guy really just this ridiculously panicky all the time? Maybe his pack had purposefully left him behind, then...

Knowing there weren't others around allowed her to begin to relax. Slowly her lips lowered, eventually covering her jagged teeth altogether. That didn't mean she trusted him yet, however. Honey eyes were sharp and critical as they eyed him.

"I ain't seen or smelled others for days, man, and I definitely haven't found any groups in a long, long time."

Why was he asking like this had just happened when it was clear that if they hadn't just now run across the tundra with him, then he'd had to have been without them for a hot minute?
Lone Wolf No Rank
Vasco Halex

He had no presence to restrain himself and keep his emotions in check like he usually would. Instead it all just came pouring out, clear in every fiber of his body. It was very likely that this stranger thought him completely insane, but he hardly cared. His heart was threatening to burst out of his chest, and it didn’t get better with the pale woman’s answer; No one? For DAYS?!

It couldn’t be! He couldn’t possibly be that far from the Estuary; Can I? While the shewolf seemed to have calmed down somewhat, Vasco was only growing more distressed, eyes roaming wildly over the empty expanse, desperately searching for proof that she was lying. But there was nothing.

A small, frustrated growl escaped him as he shook his head, shimmering grey gaze returning to the stranger. “No, that…” he gasped, anger and distress mixing in his voice; “It can’t be, I haven’t…” He trailed off, gaze drifting again as he licked his lips nervously. He’d been about to say he hadn’t run that far before he realized he didn’t actually know that; How did I get here? All he could remember was that damn fog; And before that...?

It hit him like a lightning strike, actually making him physically jump – definitely amping up that crazy factor – eyes widening and ears perking up. Everyone had disappeared! Vanished from their homeland without trace; And now it’s happened to me! Paradoxically enough, the revelation shot a ray of light through his misery, hope lightening his heart; if this was true, surely it meant his family was around here somewhere.

With this fresh fervor, Vasco returned his full attention to the stranger, voice eager and rushed as he asked: “How about loners? Anyone who… acted like me?” He chuckled a little at the acknowledgment of his erratic behavior, shrugging lightly in apology; “Others who’d gotten lost or were looking for someone? Or perhaps anyone by the name Valle?” The questions flowed from his mouth like meltwater in spring, each one almost tumbling over the previous in his hurry to ask them all. But he was certain, he was on the right track! I’ll find you Sita, I swear I will!

Word Count: 366

Thoughts ”Speech”

Deceased
Woya Macieo
Her answer didn't help the man at all, not that she'd really expected it to. Slowly, cautiously, she began to take steps backward, one at a time. When he jumped, as though lightning had struck his tail, Woya outright flinched, eyes widening with fear and teeth showing once more. Back off, stay away from me! every inch of her being said.

However, whatever had happened or occurred to him, seemed to give him new vigor. Woya returned to her glaring, and continued backing away. She wouldn't dare turn her back, there was way too much to gamble on a man she knew nothing about, but it was clear she wanted to leave.

His laugh grated her nerves.

"No," she answered coldly, each word clipped and purposeful, "you're the first psycho I've met."

Were she in a different situation herself, she might not have judged so harshly, might even have wound up helping the guy. As it was, Woya felt she had nothing to gain and everything to lose. She didn't want to bleed out in the middle of nowhere because she took one wrong step around a literal nutcase.
Lone Wolf No Rank
Vasco Halex

Caught up in his excitement, it took the pale man way too long to register the woman’s warning signs. Only as he paused for breath, did he realize that she had retreated from him, and as her icy voice dismissed his questions, it cut through his daze enough to make him focus fully on her face. Vasco’s eager ears folded back in apprehension, lids fluttering at the intense air of warning radiating off her every fiber. His own tail curled underneath him, head and shoulders lowering instinctively.

He could hardly blame her for being frightened, he had been acting like a lunatic, even if the insult still stung him a bit. But how was she to understand what he had been through, what he was still going through. Vasco slumped, head lolling even lower. He might be a step closer to reuniting with his family, but it was a small step, and one of possibly a thousand yet.

“I am sorry,” he said, keeping his voice low and careful, eyes fixed on her paws now, rather than anywhere near her face. Hopefully, he could deescalate the situation, at least enough to convince her she didn’t need to fight him. But if not, he wanted to be ready for an attack. Keeping his submissive posture, lower than hers - a feat made harder by her small stature – he continued to speak slowly, doing all he could, not to give her any more reason to worry; “I didn’t mean to…” He paused, letting out a small sigh. Trying to explain was pointless and would probably just make her think him even more crazy than she already did. Instead, he settled for a final question: “I’ll leave you alone just… Can you tell me where you’ve been? So I know there’s no use searching in that direction?” I was an innocent enough request; Right…? Although the stranger certainly didn’t seem in a mood to be helpful.

Thoughts ”Speech”

(This post was last modified: Jun 28, 2021, 12:43 AM by Vasco.)
Deceased
Woya Macieo
His display of shame appeased her to a degree, slowing her retreat and softening her sharp gaze though only by an iota. Again he asked something of her, but now feeling less at risk with the gained distance and his submissive posturing she felt more inclined to answer than before.

"I came from that way," Woya told him, motioning with her head and muzzle toward the Western flank of the mountain. Part of her even wanted to ask him if he'd come from the North, if he knew how far the tundra reached before giving way to something else. She still wasn't sure if it was wise or foolish to ignore the expanse.

Oh well.

She finally felt far enough to make her escape, leaving only a few more words for Vasco before turning around and taking off;

"Good luck guy. Don't follow me," or else.
(This post was last modified: Jul 02, 2021, 01:37 AM by Woya.)