but I'm set on fire to keep you warm
Print · · Subscribe · 1 Loves ·
Played by Ghost who has 625 posts.
Dead Empress Backwater I. Leader
Viorel Valle
All welcome! Special tag to @Vanadis as she's thought about
Late evening/early night, Light snow, 16F/-9C

I can't go on and on

Viorel was quickly becoming a night owl in these new lands. He was finding the best time to explore quietly and enjoy the privacy of his thoughts. During the daylight hours he socialized and scouted and hunted with the others, but the night was his sanctuary. Usually he would sleep for a few hours around dusk and once the moon rose over the trees he would awake again, ready for something new. Usually he made it back by the time the moon was at its highest point and joined @”Clover” or one of the others to spend the night snoozing.

Tonight he had a specific location in mind. Well, the idea of one anyways. Ever since Vanadis had mentioned that she was from ‘the willows’ he had had it in the back of his mind to seek them out. He had thought about asking her to take him this evening, but he thought it would have been rude to wake her if she was sleeping. He hadn’t properly sought her out to see if she was or not, but when he hadn’t run into her on his way out of their future territory he didn’t think twice. She had said it was south east of the sinkhole, so first he had head that way - saw the creepy hole- and then headed south east.

Eventually he had found what she must have meant. It was winter so the willows were bare but their branches still swept down, and the ends left strange looking trails in the snow as they blew in the breeze. It had started to snow lightly while Viorel had travelled so he had climbed a nearby ridge to take refuge for a while before heading home. He hadn’t planned on exploring the trees too thoroughly, just wanted a better idea of where his future pack mate had come from.

Setting fires to keep you warm

Played by Plymouth who has 20 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Gyrfalcon
The lone woman found herself moving southward. With no solid home to hold her in place, she could move wherever she pleased and because of the bitter chill of winter, she wanted to see if there'd be any sort of relief if she moved down south. The answer ended up being "no" but it was still neat to see a bit more of the world here. Even if it started snowing on her head. Fortunately, it was snowing very lightly and she didn't feel inclined to take shelter just yet. Her exploration bug was far too active for wanting to dive down into a den and hide from a few flakes of snow. Especially not if this new area would allow her to have a bit more fun. The loner life was not all she had imagined it to be. Things were dull, slow, and food was not as easy to come by save for the occasional rabbit or mouse. Where was the venison? She missed eating the succulent flesh of deer... a fresh one and not a rotting one. Scavenging didn't count. She would almost be ready to listen to one of her mother's day long rants for just a bite of fresh deer.

Of course, one didn't just stumble onto things like that although this willowy forest would be just the place to find one. No, today would not be an exception to her luck. What she did stumble upon was the scent of a young, male wolf. Curious, she began to idly follow behind the smell, wondering what sort of fellow they would be.

The woman tracked the smell all the way up until it disappeared. Or seemingly disappeared. It seemed as if the wolf had moved along or had hidden somewhere. She could see an area that lead up to a higher ridge but, after glancing upwards, she didn't see anything up there. She squinted but then gave a dismissive sniff. What if she climbed up there and scared the pants off of some drowsing wolf? Or she pissed him off for intruding?

Well, there was always something else she could do first before barging up there.

"Helloooooo! Anybody here?" There, a friendly heads up... unless she was actually alone and then it would just be talking to herself.
383| @Viorel | notes

"This is our night, this is our time"
This is our chance of feeling alive

Wolf © Kati H.
Manip & Coding © Plymouth
[Image: j9vBZs.png]
Viorel Valle

I can't go on and on

The male had not been lounging long, just enough time to really take in the ridge and trees around him. Viorel had been busy day dreaming about what kind of life the pack that had lived here had lived. He would have to tell Vanadis that he had found her willow trees, and ask her what she remembered about them. What had made this area so special that a pack had lived here and called this place home? Was it the trees themselves, or the ridge that offered extra protection? The curiosity was getting the better of him, and he was torn between exploring the area more and heading back to camp when a voice broke his concentration.

Blinking slightly at the startle, Viorel scrabbled closer to the edge of the rocky ridge and peeked his salt and pepper crown over the edge. He was surprised to see anyone else out so many hours past sunset, and had almost half expected to see one of his group had followed him. Of course, that was a stupid thought because he hadn’t recognized the voice, but still. Grinning down at the tawny woman he laughed and called back, ”Just a ghost and a bunch of trees!” He was teasing of course, as was his nature to not take things so seriously.

Grinning cheekily he called down again, ”To come up here you first must guess the answer to my riddle.” But, he would have to think of one first.

[Image: s38i5ZS.png]
Inactive No Rank
Gyrfalcon
The woman stared up at the ridge, eyes squinting as she tried to see what was up there. As she stared upwards, she could see a dark head with amber eyes staring back down at her. The scent that drifted down told her that this was a male and his face --or what little she could see of it-- didn't look very old. "A ghost, eh? I thought ghosts were supposed to be quiet... and invisible!" She called back, a cheeky grin on her face as she stared upwards, thoroughly amused at his antics. She wondered how he would answer to that! Of course, she was tickled all over again when he told her that she would have to answer a riddle to get up there.

She could have always just barged up anyway and ignored his words but where was the fun in that? She thought it would be great to play along with this mischievous male. So, she stood up tall and fluffed herself out with a raised tail to make herself look intimidating. "Ask your riddle, then, I'm not afraid!" She tried to speak in a loud, confident voice. "This intrepid adventurer fears nothing, O Great Guardian of the..." She narrowed an eye, examining the ridge and the contents above. "O Great Guardian of the Trees and Ridge!" And then she gave a toothy grin as she waited to see how he would take that.  
238| @Viorel | notes

Wolf © Kati H.
Viorel Valle

I can't go on and on

Dark tail swept happily behind him in the snow when the woman returned his smile and had her own quip. He liked her, she was quick on her paws. Winking - although he wasn’t sure if she could see that in the dark - he laughed heartily. After the guffaws he returned, ”I never said I was good at being a ghost!” He wasn’t even really sure that he believed in ghosts, but with all the craziness that had happened in his life in the last couple of months anything seemed possible. I mean really, what was more likely, ghosts exist or, bald two legged creatures would sting him and his family and drop them here with no memory? And yet, it was the latter that had happened.

Scrabbling his hefty form a little closer to the edge his whole face peered over now, and grey tipped paws hung lazily over the rocks. Wiggling his toes in a thoughtful manner he was suddenly floored on what riddle to say. His Aunt @Amondi had always been quick with the quips and he was thankful for that now. Grinning like a cheshire cat he used his most dramatic announcement voice, ”Very well intrepid adventurer, the guardian of the trees and ridge will grant you three guesses to complete my riddle and win your reward!” Not that getting to climb on the ridge and see some more willow trees was much of a reward, but it was all in good fun.

His tail was beating so hard now that his rump swung with it. This was silly, but it was fun. Once again he boomed, ”Your riddle is as follows: what belongs to you, but other wolves use it far more than you?” That was a good one, he hoped.

(This post was last modified: Mar 02, 2021, 03:59 AM by Viorel.)
Inactive No Rank
Gyrfalcon
Never said he was good at being a ghost, he? "Touche." The woman said with a chuckle. So far, so good. This guy seemed like a really fun guy. She liked him a lot already and she had only known him, for what? A few minutes now? It was getting harder to hold her "intrepid adventurer" pose but she doggedly kept at the task. Maybe if she lifted her head higher, she'd even look regal. Man, if only the wind was blowing hard enough to make her fur billow mysteriously. Would it be noticeable in the dark? It didn't matter, it was a moot point anyway.

Now, as she stared upwards, she could see the young male poking his head further over. At least he seemed to be enjoying himself as well. She could hear his hearty laughs from here which in turn, pleased her. It was always great when her company was having just as much fun as she was. "What a generous guardian you are. Three wishes, you spoil this adventurer." She said with a cheeky smile but then she settled down to listen, ears perked to listen to this riddle.

Boy, that was a good one. Her brow furrowed quite overdramatically as she pondered the answer to this conundrum. "Hmmm..." She made a show of tapping a paw on the ground in a ponderous manner. "Is it... our scent?" That belonged to you but others had to use it to find you. Gyrfalcon was patting herself on the back for that one. Quite clever, no? Her tail began to wave behind her, despite the show she was putting on of being a stoic adventurer.
277| @Viorel | notes

Wolf © Kati H.
Viorel Valle

I can't go on and on

Now that his whole head peaked over the ledge Viorel was able to get a more clear look of the ‘adventurer’ that he had been speaking to. From this far he could not tell any details, but could get a general feel, female - obviously - brown, taller than him maybe but definitely lighter. Maybe a little bit older than he was? Her appearance was nothing out of the ordinary, but her personality was certainly a delight.

Laughing loudly again he chortled, ”Well, thank you adventurer, I try.” At her comment that he was a very generous guardian. The Valles were not always known for their generosity, they were not giving for the sake of giving you see. But, they would lend a hand when necessary, or if the cost was not too great. Viorel had inherited a more giving heart than most of the Valles, a more cheerful, sunny disposition, but the strategic judgement remained.

He was pleased that the woman didn’t know the answer to his riddle immediately and had to think about it a little. Leaning forward to study her face as she pondered a grin spread across his own. Viorel wriggled in delight at her first answer, ”A good guess, but incorrect! You have two guesses remaining.” What would she guess next?

Inactive No Rank
Gyrfalcon
The woman nearly snorted out her amusement at his chortling expression of gratitude. What a treat. She couldn't stop the swaying of her wagging tail, nor the bright glimmer in her eyes no matter how hard she tried to play the hardened adventurer. They both knew that she wasn't but it was so much fun to pretend. Especially when the person you were pretending with was ready to uphold the facade along with you.

After she'd given her guess, she found out that it was wrong! The woman opened her mouth in an exaggerated gasp. As if she was certain that her guess had been correct. "I have brought shame to my name." She said, lifting her muzzle to the sky as if beseeching ancestors long-past not to judge her less for her misstep. It was all part of the game however and if one paid close attention, they'd see the flickering smile at the edges of her muzzle despite her attempts to hide it.

Two more guesses left. she had to make these good! "Hmm..." She looked up at the dark head peeking over at her, as if studying him would give her inspiration for an answer. "Leeett'ssss seeeee... If it's not a scent..." She squinted one eye as she thought and then was struck with sudden inspiration. Her expression changed from contemplative to triumphant as she was sure she had the correct answer now! "Is it a howl, perhaps?" Beautiful! A lovely answer! She patted herself on the back as she waited to see what the verdict was.
260| @Viorel | notes

Wolf © Kati H.
Viorel Valle

I can't go on and on

Shame on her name! Oh what a delight. Viorel wanted to giggle like a child but somehow managed to hold on to some of his composure. Instead of laughing he turned his nose up in false dignity, as if he couldn’t even stand to look at the explorer as she brought shame on herself. With an exaggerated ‘humph’ he drawled, ”A pity really. What is your next guess?” Maybe she would redeem herself this time, gain her ancestors blessing.

Ah, he thought too soon. Her next guess again was good but not the answer that he was looking for. Allowing the moment to draw out for dramatic effect Viorel climbed to his paws and stretched his height out in an attempt to seem more intimidating. Clearing his throat, he threw his head back, Incorrect again!” The yearling was really getting into his guardian of the trees and ridge character now, if he were a two leg maybe he could have been a successful actor.

Peering down from his position he smiled widely, ”You have only one guess remaining intrepid adventurer.” Most of him hoped that she would get it this time, but a small, greedy part of him hoped that she wouldn’t. If she didn’t guess correctly this time, then he would win. But, mostly he realized that the fun of all of this had been in the game itself, not winning or losing.

Inactive No Rank
Gyrfalcon
Oh, how he harumphed and humphed and put on a delightful show. What a fantastic guardian spirit he played. If they had hands, she would have gone up to shake his (and if she knew what shaking hands even symbolized). Instead, she was still down below playing by their established rules. Her next guess seemed to be similarly incorrect as he rose to his paws and boomed out that she was incorrect once more. Standing up high as he was now, the woman could see more of him. Dark all over, made even darker by the night with only his golden eyes setting a real contrast in his coat.

The woman played the part with another dramatic gasp. This time she tried to throw her heart and soul into it, to sound as if she were as shocked as if the moon itself had landed in front of her. "Oh no!" But really though. Those were her two best guesses. If it wasn't a scent and it wasn't a howl... then what was it?

She raised a paw and pointed it up at him. "Listen here, O Great Guardian, I shall best this riddle yet! I will not allow such insult to my house to stand. I will figure out the answer!" She said defiantly before starting to pace back and forth down where she was. Now... what on earth could be the answer? She knew this was all just fun and games but she really wanted to know! She also wanted to figure it out just to say that she had!

Hmm...

She racked her brain, trying to think of every single thing that she owned. Her words? No, that would fall under howl... Scent she'd already said.

Then, it hit her like a sack of bricks. She stopped pacing and then, with one bounce, turned to face the man again. Her stoic facade was gone as she smiled up at him triumphantly. "Would the answer to your riddle be... My name?" She was quite excited by coming up with that one!
343| @Viorel | notes

Wolf © Kati H.