(See All?) Announcements
492 Users Online
Bing, Google, Hazelnut, Isla, Nia

she laughs like the sound of thunder — Lost Lake 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Cade who has 864 posts.
Paradise Falls I. Leader
Chan Eastfall
Taste? Chan shook his head no, the water didn't taste like the eggy smell that emanated from it. In fact, he'd always been fond of the silky water and it's warmth. He chuckled over the possibility of Lila having to look after him like a mother robin still caring for its feathered but particularly dumb fledglings, focusing on the humor rather than the more macabre aspects of the imagined scenario. The patch of tongue that the ice had clung so stubbornly to was being particularly stubborn, and he continued to run it over and against his teeth as though it would go away all at once rather than gradually. Lila encouraged him to talk, and so he did.

"Guess it isn' really 'bout the lake itself, but I always loved bein' able to take a short walk and suddenly bein' at a cliff hangin' over the world like I was up in the clouds. Like we weren' even on the ground at all but floatin'," Chan elaborated on his earlier answer of altitude. Especially as a kid, it had always given him a thrill to be right at that edge, toes in the air and a sliver away from free falling. Even Roland's assault had not frightened him away from heights. Not to mention the thin crisp air, the challenge of every climb, and the sense of security their separation from the forests below brought.

"My fav'rite part of the Lake is... what it does for us, I guess. Wolves, y'know. Like, imagine how little travel there would be between the East n' West if this pass didn't exist, or even worse how many would... like, it keeps wolves alive. Saves them, constantly."

Plenty had died here as well, but Chan felt certain it would have been many more without the refuge the Lake and it's forest provided.
[Image: 5BdYuOb.png]
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
A young fawn has gotten separated from its herd. Hunt Opportunity, +8 Health
Played by Switch who has 205 posts.
Inactive VI. Subordinate
Lila Aquila
if you want to do anything about SOW I'm good with either
I think there's a flaw in my code
Good to know. It made her less apprehensive about it, not that she wanted to go in now. It'd likely felt great, until it was time to get out then she imagined the stink would stick to her coat.

So he had been talking about altitude. She was still trying to adjust to that. "Like on the top of the world," she murmured, picturing it in that kind of way. It would make the lands below seem less adequate for him. Maybe, it was her own family's attraction. She wasn't convinced she'd get use to it, or see it the same. But, she would try to remember that the next time she looked down. Being born on a mountain gave an advantage she didn't have.

She tilted her head, watching the steamy tendrils stretch from the surface of the springs. It was a rather observant thought she hadn't particularly thought of. But seeing as he traveled to both sides she could see why he'd had the idea. "That's true, if they're lucky to find it." There wasn't much reason now for a wolf to have to go constantly in between. There had to be plenty looking for that place to stay that this place would be nice to find along the way to either. "Gotta hand it to you, you have a great way of seeing things others don't." She smiled, turning to look at him. "I definitely didn't get the same thrill when I climbed here, but now I see why I should stop and look for more than a few seconds." Now, she would have seen this as a weakness in herself, and not to be expressed. Chan made her feel differently about it.

"Has it always been a refuge for you?"

(This post was last modified: Mar 04, 2021, 10:54 PM by Lila. Edit Reason: typos bug me xP )
Paradise Falls I. Leader
Chan Eastfall
We can use it to end the thread whenever we're ready?

If they're lucky to find it, she observed, and Chan let out a sigh. It had been a hub back in the Cove's glory days. His parents, Aleister and Neha's parents, Kajika; they all worked so hard, gave everything they had to put the Lake on the map for the neighboring packs and travelers alike. None of that felt gone to Chan, not exactly, but Lila was right. The land had already forgotten about them, tangling and enshrouding the Lake once more.

Something else they would need to address, but at least they were making progress.

She complimented him again, and he smiled, appreciation clear. Lila really was just as kind as his naïve young heart had pinned her for all those years ago. Yet again, he found himself profoundly thankful that he'd been able to keep bumping into her, and even more so that she was here with him and his family now. Hearts like hers were exactly what they needed.

"I don't know," he responded modestly, unable to agree because Chan honestly didn't think himself to have a way with anything in particular and certainly wouldn't claim to. That didn't mean it meant any less to hear from the woman, however, and he hoped he didn't come off as dismissive.

"Hopefully you took the safe way up," Chan's smile broadened wrly, "If you want thrills, I can show you some of the mountain's best."

The place he broke his leg and where that one alphess died would of course be on the list, but in general his head contained a pretty thorough catalogue of hazardous but fun as hell trails. That was, if one enjoyed challenging climbs and the slight risk of death or disability.

"But uh..." a refuge? "not for me, no. I'm... always just leaving, really."
Inactive VI. Subordinate
Lila Aquila
She could tell he wasn't dismissing her compliment, but he didn't see it that way. "All right, some time I'll prove it to you." She didn't feel she could explain it well right then, but she'd give it good thought.

"Well, I did go where you told me," playfully she stuck her tongue out in return. It had been safe to her. As safe as one trail could be up a mountain with the name Dire. But the mention of wanting thrills she softly laughed, and pinned him with a look. "Why do I doubt any of those thrills are recommended for a beginner, mountain climber?" If she did stay here, maybe she'd get use to it and dare go on one at least. If she ever felt steady again.

Speaking of leaving, it was a thing they had in common, but what had changed for him now? "Then what made you come back to stay for good?" She didn't know the whole story, or much of it really, but what made him want to return and remain at this place then? He'd been born here, but she got the feeling he didn't have a lot of great memories about it either. Did he feel guilty like Aleister? Did the mountain call him back?

"Do you want it to be a refuge now?"He clearly saw some form of future, or at least she thought by the way he talked about things.

Paradise Falls I. Leader
Chan Eastfall
Prove it to him, eh? His eyes met her's briefly. The vow piqued his curiosity, but as the conversation moved on it fell away into memory. He was glad to hear that she was able to follow his directions, rather than having had to struggle to make it to them, and he had certainly attempted to give her the easiest-to-follow path which largely coincided with safe. He started to feel that maybe she wasn't so comfortable with heights in general, or perhaps she was simply cautious. Regardless, he knew one thing for sure.

"Not alone, but you can do anything with a good friend at your back," he assured her with a wink.

For good. His ears twitched. Was that the impression he was giving?

"Well I haven't really planned uh, that far. Honestly, I just came back to visit. Catch up, you know? Of course, I didn't expect... any of this," who of them had?

"I do know I'm not leaving Nash or Mom until I know they're safe and happy. As long as the Cove does that for them, I'm happy. If I had my choice, though? I'd just... want it to be somewhere welcoming, to everyone, you know?"

Which from his perspective, the Cove had always been. As long as they continued what had been started, he felt they would do well. And then... well, he really didn't know. He'd return the questions, but Chan had a feeling that Lila was more so in the same boat as him.
(This post was last modified: Mar 05, 2021, 03:00 AM by Chan.)
Inactive VI. Subordinate
Lila Aquila

"Maybe," she smirked back. She would definitely feel safer in his presence, and it made her think how she should consider actually doing one of those treks sooner rather than later. She felt a lot more confident to have him with her. Something steady.

What she liked about Chan was his straight honesty, and how he didn't seem to struggle to let it out. So, like her he hadn't had much of a plan. Things had just taken a turn for themselves. She nodded in understanding because she wasn't where she expected to be either. She thought she'd be gone by now.

Sticking with the pack was for his family, which made sense. But, then she wondered where he'd be if he hadn't found them. Still wandering, looking for? If the question was reversed she wouldn't have much of an explanation either. But it was nice to know what his own motives were about the Cove. They weren't exactly what she'd expected but that was ok. Was he saying it wasn't welcoming? Or if that changed he'd be out? She thought he must mean the latter. So far she'd seen nothing but welcoming warmness. "Yeah, that makes sense." At least with his good heart she'd see why he'd hate for the pack to be the opposite. Though, in the back of her mind she wasn't sure she could agree. She appreciated the greeting she'd gotten, but to do that with everybody who came by? She thought it might be why the Bend had erupted in chaos.

"Do you see that?" Her nose pointed east toward the pine trees, where she thought she'd saw something fairly, large move. Sure enough it was a lonely fawn. She looked to him evident she was ready to pursue, and followed his lead.

{fade}

(This post was last modified: Mar 07, 2021, 09:00 PM by Lila.)