(See All?) Announcements
522 Users Online
Google, Bing

what if love is the cost — Nightingale Palisade 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Cade (inactive characters) who has 187 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Leviticus Armstead
No, he answered, it's not. Levi's ears crumpled down against his skull cap, teeth briefly shown in a grimace. Of course not. Why did Levi always think he could help when he couldn't even sort things out in his own life? But Alarick went on, giving the younger wolf something to mull over and consider.

Reason, purpose, meant to be. Levi wanted so badly to believe in that, but how would he know? Every time his heart had told him to follow someone, he just seemed to make things worse and lose them altogether. Was he going against 'the plan'? Or was it really just this long of a journey?

He sniffled, trying not to cry again, but he just felt so miserable. After a moment of tearful silence, he hesitantly, almost shakingly stood.

"Can..." he took a step toward Alarick, but then took it back and avoided meeting his gaze.

"... can I lay with you?"

He needed a hug. He needed tangible comfort. He needed too much, and the man owed him nothing.
[Image: qfzMxz5.png]
Played by Molo who has 154 posts.
Lone Wolf No Rank
Alarick
Almost instantly, a look of sorrow and distress once more crossed the countenance of the other, at his apparent inability to help. Though fleeting, the expression further demonstrated what Alarick had thought previously - that Levi was the good sort. If there were others around of a similar disposition, perhaps there was a hope of finding a new home if he could not find any way back to where he’d come from. That realization was small but encouraging.

There was a sniff from Levi, and then shockingly, surprisingly, he pushed himself up. Where the former hunter had been anticipating the other to attempt to excuse himself from this conversation and saddening ordeal, though, he did not. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Tentatively, Levi stepped forth, his gaze averted as he asked a question. Though a sudden turn of events, Alarick offered a nod. “Yes, I.. do not mind.” While not something he’d often sought for himself, the hunter understood that touch.. and physical comfort sometimes did more than any words could. If it would help Levi, the answer could not be anything other than an unwavering yes.

While he’d kept quiet and contained his curiosity so far, now seemed like the most appropriate time for a question of his own. ”Is there anything else I could try to help you with, anything at all?”

The question had been eating away at him, and Alarick hoped he got something in response. What’d happened to this young man to leave him in such a distressed and saddened state? And was there anything he could do to help? Certainly, if there was anything more he could do, he was willing to try.
Inactive No Rank
Leviticus Armstead
Levi wouldn't have been surprised if the man had answered no, but instead he... actually said yes. He picked up his head, unable to help the big, grateful puppy dog eyes that he gave Alarick. The stranger who was doing more for Levi than he might ever know. He slipped forward and settled in eagerly against the other wolf's flank. He was warm, and solid. Levi could feel not just his breath, but also could faintly sense his heartbeat. Both were smooth, steady rhythms that greatly comforted younger wolf.

He tried to match that pace, to calm and center himself. His new friend had a question, however.

"... prob'ly not. I... I lost everyone too. But mine's my own fault."
Lone Wolf No Rank
Alarick
The other appeared, perhaps, mildly surprised at the acceptance of his request. Alarick was fairly positive he spotted a faint look of appreciation there, too - something that warmed the former hunter’s spirits a little more. A brief visual scan of Levi as he closed in and settled down revealed to Alarick just how undernourished his company was, and any feelings of encouragement that’d been present before promptly faded. Levi definitely was not in the best condition.

Alarick had been concerned before, but now the worry seemed more immediate. Levi seemed to settle in well enough, though.. he stated that he did not believe anything could be done to help him, either. He’d lost folks too, and.. believed it was his own fault. A heart-breaking, and potentially dangerous train of thought.

”I’m sorry, Levi. I’m sorry that happened to you, too.” The response only brought about more questions, however. Did lost just mean separated? Or did it mean... that whoever Levi had lost, had been killed? He wouldn’t ask, but he hoped it was not the latter.

”I do not know what happened to you, nor do I expect you to tell me. But, unless your intent was to harm, I struggle to believe it could be your fault, solely.” There was a hesitancy to the former hunter’s words - he did not want to speak out of place, or further upset his company. At the same time, though - it was a risk he believed was necessary to take.

In a gesture Alarick would hope further conveyed the comfort and assurance he hoped to project, he moved to gently rest his chin across the other’s shoulder. ”You seem kind and thoughtful. Good. I believe that you’ll find your path, too. And I hope our paths afford us another meeting. I would like to see you again, Levi.” Perhaps under better circumstances, too.

Alarick had a family to search for, and he wasn’t ready to give up on that. But if it didn’t work out, having someone else out here that he knew and trusted was the next best thing.
Inactive No Rank
Leviticus Armstead
Levi's green eyes closed longer and longer with each blink, heavy with exhaustion that could now overtake him with the security and warmth of another wolf against his back. His honeyed muzzle lowered down upon his paws, and breathing was becoming easy once more.

I'm sorry, Alarick commiserated, but it was far from all that he had to say. His kind, smooth voice was like a lullaby. Easy listening, so to speak. He told Levi that the younger wolf was kind, thoughtful, good. It was of course difficult for a stranger to say with true conviction, but it was clear too that the man believed what he was saying. It meant something, stuck inside of the amber-backed wolf's mind.

I would like to see you again, Levi.

His black lips pulled upward with a smile, even as his eyes remained closed. Slumber was close to overtaking him as he was finally afforded the prospect of good, solid rest.

"I'd like that too Alarick," he spoke sleepily, but still earnestly.

"Thank you."
Lone Wolf No Rank
Alarick
Levi did not have much to say. In this instance, the former hunter believed that was one of the best things he could’ve hoped for. The younger wolf’s eyes had closed, his posture and breath growing more relaxed as time passed, but it was evident that he was listening. Perhaps, contemplating. Alarick would have liked to know what about, but such things were not his concern and would remain that way unless the other decided to speak and share his thoughts.

There was only one response that truly mattered; that Levi would like to see him again, too. ”You’re welcome. Sleep well, Levi,” he uttered, unable to deny the urge to sleep, himself. He had intended to keep watch for a time, but.. perhaps not. At that moment, Alarick’s concerns for the other had been alleviated, allowing hope to return and blanket him its warmth. That, along with a new friend, made the prospect of facing whatever challenges awaited him now, without a home or family to count on, seem just a little less daunting.

--fade?