(See All?) Announcements
575 Users Online
Google, Bing

warm nights — Fool's Gold Chasm 
Print · · Subscribe · 1 Loves ·
Played by Pinn who has 117 posts.
Inactive II. Subordinate
Sága Tainn

She opted for mid-morning, exiting the den before the children started bouncing off the walls in hopes that she'd be able to return relatively quickly. Even if the new mother could leave them for hours, she didn't like to, especially now that their father had left.

Hudson's departure had laid more weight upon her shoulders. Of course Saga understood why he had gone, but that hadn't made it any easier. Between the duties that had been thrust upon her in his wake and the children, she found herself wearing a little thin. Thus, when she lifted her muzzle to call for Adelard, it was with respite in mind.

Played by Greyer who has 234 posts.
Paradise Falls X. Subordinate
Adelard Gerau
Adelard, being ever reclusive, spent most of his time with his eyes out towards the borders. If he was not patrolling, he was wandering the inner boundaries around the Chasm. One ear would be towards the dens, while the other angled to the edges of pack territory. Since the cubs' arrivals, his sleep schedule had been off. Aubine normally handled daytime dalliances, but today she was given a break. He had left her to sunbathe and relish the time alone.

The masked brute was on the way to check on Saga's burrow when he heard a beckoning call. His whole body froze and he turned in the direction of her summoning. At first, he assumed something was terribly wrong (like when the wind had unexpectedly picked up and ripped through the Vale without reason or cause). Though, as he gathered his pace again, he stumbled to find nothing but calm. He regarded the new mother with a slow wag of a loose tail and a nod of his head.

As he further relaxed, his body posture eased up, and he assumed the proper stance to show due respect. He cleared his throat and averted his eyes. "Saga," he greeted, tone curt and flat. Keeping things straight to the point with the Leader's companion was best. "To what do I owe this pleasure?"
heat stroke, bring the fire
ADELARD GERAU
black smoke, I take it higher
Inactive II. Subordinate
Sága Tainn

She settled as Adelard appeared, letting her rump fall to the ground as her tail picked up a slow, loose wag of it's own. Though Hudson had gone and his position should have fallen to her by default, Saga felt none of the pull or power that her could-be status warranted. Instead, it felt heavy, too heavy for a new mother with three children who were still learning how to talk. It seemed an impossible feat, but that's exactly why she'd called the yellow-eyed male to her.

A soft smile played across her maw, but it didn't quite touch her eyes. She was too stressed, too.. upset to be happy right now. It was her doing, of course. When Huddy told her what he was planning, she could have said no, could have tried to stop him, but she hadn't. Instead, she'd pretended that it was okay, and that she didn't mind. Adelard, she returned. "Hudson has gone to find his family and tell them all that has happened here." She wasn't sure if he knew or not, but she offered the information just in case.

"Technically, that means his position would fall to me." She waited for his response, curious as to what the mottled-brown man about that before continuing. "But as you're well aware, we're up to our ears in cubs." Her nose crinkled with a real smile this time. "I.. I can't do it alone. Hell, I don't even know if I can do it at all." she conceded. "I know it's a lot, and if you're not comfortable with it then.." Well, she wasn't really sure what her next step would be. "I will try to keep things going until he gets back... but I would really appreciate your help."

(This post was last modified: Jun 18, 2021, 07:45 AM by Saga.)
[Image: SAGA.png]
Sága is currently travelling with Huddy, Aubine, Adelard, Rhaegara, Riven, Maugrim & Hrun
Adelard Gerau
Saga seemed well enough to greet him with both warmth and grace. Mothering was a stressful task, but important nonetheless. Adelard was glad, almost part jealous, that the cubs of the Chasm had a caring mother to look after them. Saga was doing an extraordinary job for a first-time parent.

"Adelard," his greeting was met in kind. "Hudson has gone to find his family and tell them all that has happened here."

The Gerau's head tilted for the briefest of moments, confused. Saga went on to explain the simple formality of rank and role and how she couldn't do it all alone. "Saga," he started, but he couldn't work out how to broach the topic.

"I know it's a lot," she continued, "and if you're not comfortable with it then.." He felt the both of them sink as if the empty place Hudson had left would swallow them whole. His eyes sought out someplace else to look as he willed himself to work this all out here and now. This had been the very thing he had run from when he had left his parents' homelands behind.

"I will try to keep things going until he gets back... but I would really appreciate your help."

His eyelids fluttered and his head quivered as he angled his neck to look into the silver woman's face. His shoulders squared and he shifted his weight, anchoring himself once more. "You have my support for whatever you need," he offered, his voice even and collected. As a Leader's son - his father's son - he had been formally trained, run through the wringer, and fashioned into a tactful man. It was in his blood. Why he thought he could escape the responsibility was lost on him. "If you ask it of me, you have my all."

The soft smile that curled the corners of his maw came and went, worry taking over. "But, why now? The cubs are so young." A shake of his head made his concern obvious, "When will he return?"
(This post was last modified: Jun 18, 2021, 10:34 PM by Adelard.)
ADELARD GERAU
Inactive II. Subordinate
Sága Tainn

The woman held her sigh, lifted her shoulders, and said simply, though the action felt anything but, "I would like to give up my rank to you," Was that.. something that one normally did willingly? "so that I might support you instead." It was a lot to ask and she felt so icky about it, but Saga figured the icky feeling lining her stomach was preferable to Hudson returning to a pack in ruins.

In response to his series of questions, Saga was unable to prevent the frown that flickered over her features. "I.. don't know." She had asked herself the same question, but as it pertained to family matters, the silvery woman had resigned herself to accept his departure. "I didn't ask for specifics and I'm not sure how far he has to go, but whatever the reason, or however long he will be gone, I'm sure it's what is best for him." She felt terrible that she couldn't find it in herself to be happy for Huddy. At long last he was able to return to his family, but the timing...

Sága is currently travelling with Huddy, Aubine, Adelard, Rhaegara, Riven, Maugrim & Hrun
Adelard Gerau
"I would like to give up my rank to you," Saga went on further after heaving a sigh, "so that I might support you instead." The words echoed in his head as if there were nothing else between his ears but her voice. It was soon entangled with Aubine's murmurings. Promises given by his littermate and second-in-command were few but simple. They further emboldened the silver woman's words about Adelard taking the lead.

Adelard's ears fell as Saga divulged that she did not know why Hudson had gone or when the Leader would return. His heart sank. Maybe this is what it had felt like when he had left Aubine behind. His whiskered brows drew together, forming creases along his dark forehead. He had to agree with her, regardless of how he felt about the matter. Any other answer might have shattered her already heavy heart. It was probably best for Hudson to reunite with his family, visit them for a while...

"Alright then," he rumbled. His tone felt sour on his tongue and bitter in his cheeks. He did not want the position, but everything in his being knew better than to run a second time. It would only find him again. Adelard Gerau would lead in his lifetime, even if only for a short while. All the Fates had wanted was for him to try it out and see for himself if the role fit.

"If you wish it, consider it done." There was a warmth to his timbre as he focused now on Saga, the cubs, and their little tag-along band of a pack. He figured nothing would change. He would still mind the territory markers, mingle with packmates, count the caches, and scavenge for scraps... He only had to be more resolute in his decisions and a little less reclusive.

"I will double my efforts in securing the borders," he told her, "do everything I have been doing since we arrived. But, what else would you like me to do... for you and the cubs?" Without Hudson, Saga was without her other half and her cubs were without their father. The least he could do was help in looking after them.
(This post was last modified: Jul 01, 2021, 04:33 AM by Adelard.)
ADELARD GERAU
Inactive II. Subordinate
Sága Tainn

Her heart fell at his tone, knowing just how much weight she was resting upon his shoulders. It wasn't fair to him, but she wasn't sure who else might be able to take up the position. If she hadn't had three children, if Hudson had been there to lead by her side, if things were different she might have been able to take it on, but things weren't different.  They couldn't be, for the fates had spun this web just so.

His next reply was warmer, though it's hue did little to remedy the sickly feeling in her stomach from having asked so much. She would repay him somehow, tenfold if she could. "Thank you Adelard."

When he asked what else she could do, the silvery woman simply shook her head. "I couldn't ask any more of you." She would take on the responsibility of rearing the cubs. "I will do my best to support you and step in wherever I can, but you need not worry about the children," She smiled then, a fond, genuine smile at the mention of her cubs. "Just keep an eye and an ear out. They mind well enough, but they're getting older and I'm going to have trouble keeping track of them the further away that they wander."

Saga stepped forward then, gratitude brightening her pear-toned eyes as she dipped her head in hopes that she might bump against the underside of his chin.

Adelard Gerau
As the duo came to a decision, Adelard began to fully acknowledge his place. Duty called to him and, now, here he was bowing his head and steeling himself for the days to come. Saga shook her head in reply, and the masked man could only smile and give another nod.

"I can do that," a small grin formed on his maw.

Then, as she came forward, Adelard saw the lowering of her head and crown and felt the bridge of her nose at his jowl. He swallowed, waiting for her to withdraw before clearing his throat. There was a brief moment of silence before he spoke, "You can always come to me. For anything. Any time."

He wasn't sure why but felt a drop of sadness pool at the back of his mouth. The wolves of Fools' Gold Chasm would be well taken care of. They would not starve or crumble from hierarchic unrest. Hudson had left behind something that was still (mostly) whole and Adelard intended to keep it that way.

At the back of his head, he realized how sad and excited his littermate would be after hearing the news. It had never been only Adelard the Fates had been playing with; Aubine was just as tangled in it all as her brother was. What mattered in regards to her was her rank in relation to her twin. She had always been his second-in-command. Now he was going to have to break that to her... which led him to one last order of business:

"Do the others know that Hudson has gone?"
ADELARD GERAU
Inactive II. Subordinate
Sága Tainn

Saga knew, in that moment, that she had made the right decision. Staying here, helping to form this pack, trusting these wolves. She was exactly where she needed to be, exactly where the fates had wanted her, and she couldn't be any more grateful. Adelard would make a fine leader, one that she could respect and trust in, at least until Hudson returned. "You have no idea how much that means to me."

His next question came as a surprise, though it really shouldn't have. Unfortunately, it just.. wasn't an answer she knew. The whirlwind of emotions that swam in her stomach had.. clouded things a bit, made her forget to ask the father of her children things that she probably should have.

Saga looked away as she answered, her silvery ears flickering back. "I'm not sure. I didn't ask before he left. I was.. it was just a lot." But then her ears came forward once more, masking whatever it was that she had felt about Hudson's departure. "It might be a good idea to let everyone know, just in case."

Adelard Gerau
Saga was grateful. Adelard, himself, was glad to be of service.

"I'm not sure," she divulged. "I didn't ask before he left. I was.. it was just a lot."

Adelard could feel his heart grow heavier at the bottom of his ribcage. He saw the flicker of what he assumed was uncertainty and pain. If he could have swept her up close and held her tight just to assure her that things would be all right, he might have. The compulsion to shelter her was too much to ignore. It was what he had been brought up to do.

"It might be a good idea to let everyone know, just in case."

He released the breath he had been keeping in his lungs. This was it then. He gave her another bob of his head. There was a little while where he sought her gaze, wanting to hold it in solidarity. If this was to be how things were, then so be it.

Without even so much as a fidget or shuffle in his limbs, Adelard Gerau lifted a one-note song into the mid-morning air.

The wolves of Fools Gold Chasm has lost someone dear, he mentioned in so many lilting tones. But, the pack still stands in Hudson's absence. Still strong. Still ever-present... A slight pause to gather a few more words, and then: Ears up, eyes sharp. We are moving forward.

He hoped the shift of Leadership was implied. But, if Saga wanted to join in, he hoped she realized she was welcome to, being Hudson's significant other and all. The both of them were in this together. And, if Hudson chose to return a moment too late, he was going to protect her no matter what the cost.
ADELARD GERAU