(See All?) Announcements
599 Users Online
Google, Bing, Baidu, Viorel

Things are crazy, aren't they? — Sanguine Cove 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Flywolf who has 605 posts.
Sanguine Cove I. Leader
Nash Eastfall
For @Aquene <3 this poor awkward child just wants friends lol. Continuation of the Charity Chain from This thread

Nash had spent a lot of time thinking lately. His conversation with @Chan about his role in the pack had certainly helped him clear his head - even if just a little - and helped him realize he really needed to get to know his packmates better. He hadn't even realized how high in the ranks he technically was, and that as a founder he held some sort of esteem. Nash felt that was unfounded, regardless of what Chan said, and he really wanted to be worth his pack's loyalty. He wanted to be like his brother, like his father.

He decided he ought to start with bringing something to eat to Aquene. He hadn't talked to her in a while, and she had been running herself ragged doing healer's duties while caring for her daughter. He thought he should 'pay it forward', as it were. Chan had given him something to eat when he'd been very hungry, so Nash thought food would be a nice gesture.

Besides, he liked Aquene. She was nice.

Nash had found a deer carcass not far outside the borders on one of his patrols. It didn't look to have been killed by anything; it seemed to have simply laid down for the night and never gotten up. Well, at least he wouldn't have to fight anything for it. He'd dragged into their firm territory so the others could cash in on the prize if they wanted, then with much twisting and pulling he tore off a back haunch and, carrying his awkward load, headed towards the medicine den, where he thought he might find the busy mother.

His hunch paid off, as Nash saw the dark woman outside the herb-scented cavern. He woofed out a greeting, though it was muffled by the leg hanging from his mouth. He shifted his grip on it, trying not to drag the large haunch in the dirt more than he had to as he approached her. He finally set it down and smiled. "Hungry?" he asked. "I brought you something to eat."
(This post was last modified: Aug 12, 2021, 01:50 AM by Nash. Edit Reason: added OOC )

Played by Tasha who has 349 posts.
Sanguine Cove III. Shaman
Aquene Slayer

But I put it out of my mind Long enough to call it courage To live without a lifeline

She truly felt as though she didn’t have enough time in the day. Sleep had been hard to come by, finding the moments when her daughter rested as opportunity to sort through the healing stores and send Landen out and about to get herbs that she could not while caring for a child… she was tired, but she would continue to push through because that was simply what she did. She had her nose in the stores, making a mental list of the supplies they were low on when she caught a vague scent over the herbs that were assaulting her nose. Her head turned curiously when she spotted Nash with food hanging out of his mouth.

Food… something she should probably do… she forgot to eat. She tried to be good about it, but now that Kateri was eating meat, it was harder to remind herself that she needed to eat as well because she no longer had to worry about a milk supply. She let a smile fall on her face, a grateful look quickly washing over her features. “Absolutely starving.” She admitted a little sheepishly. “Thank you so much, Nash.” The sincerity in her tone was overwhelming and it made her drag herself fully out of the herb den. “Sometimes I forget that food is necessary for healers like it is for patients.” She admitted half-jokingly though it was clear that she was also quite serious about it.

She settled in, not hesitating to take a bite, savoring it as she looked up to him, waiting until she had swallowed before asking a question that had been on her mind since she first sensed his arrival. “How have you been doing? I feel like I haven’t had the opportunity to just talk to anyone since Kateri was born.”

[Image: jNJyCis.png]
Sanguine Cove I. Leader
Nash Eastfall
Nash smiled and sat back, allowing himself a small chuckle as the dark woman hauled herself out of the medicine den. "I thought you might have," he said. "Haven't seen you around much, and I don't catch your scent around the caches when I check." He watched her tuck in, glad he'd made the effort to bring something. Dragging the deer uphill hadn't been an easy task, and the haunch was big enough and awkward enough that he was a little tired now. Nothing sitting down wouldn't take care of, and he was already doing that. Easy.

Her question drew his attention back to her and he shrugged. "I've been alright. Better than the last time we really talked. Thanks for that, by the way. It helped." It seemed their healer had a penchant for healing the soul as well as the body. "Chan and I have had several good conversations... some upsetting, but things we needed to talk about."

His thoughts strayed again to his role in the pack. "I've decided on a role," he offered. "I'm going to be a guardian." His tail thumped a couple times against the ground at the thought. Purpose.

"How about you? How's Kateri?"

Aquene Slayer

But I put it out of my mind Long enough to call it courage To live without a lifeline

A shy smile crossed her features at the mention of her scent’s absence around the caches. She was guilty as charged on that account, and didn’t hesitate to tuck into the deer limb. She was grateful for the effort he had put in to make sure she ate her fill. “That obvious, huh?” She teased just lightly after she’d swallowed her mouthful. “Please don’t let me eat alone, there’s enough for two.” She offered, nudging the limb for good measure to invite him to sit down with her. She would always look out for everyone, and she felt close with Nash even if they hadn’t spoken in awhile.

For that matter, she felt close with all of the Eastfall wolves residing within the Cove, at least the ones she had conversed with. She offered a kind smile before diving in for another bite. “I’m glad I could help.” She often had wisdom to give, just sometimes it was a little rougher around the edges. She was glad that was not the case this time. “Upsetting is good. Emotions are important, both the good and the bad. You can’t have one without the other, and sometimes it hurts to talk, but ultimately the things that need to be talked about the most are the ones that hurt.” Perhaps more unsolicited advice, but it came from her maw before she truly thought about it.

Then he mentioned his role, a guardian. It was very fitting, and she had little doubt he would be wonderful at it. “That sounds like the perfect role.” She admitted aloud, her smile growing even more in the process. “Kateri is good. She’s growing so fast and I sometimes feel like I can hardly keep up… I’m doing okay, still struggling with things, but hanging in there. The days are getting a little easier.” Her reference to her stillborn son that still weighed heavy on her heart even now, months after the fact.

Sanguine Cove I. Leader
Nash Eastfall
It was good to see Aquene digging in; he was glad he'd decided to come find her. At her request, he hesitated, then settled down across the haunch from her and nibbled at it. He was a little hungry, but Nash thought it was more important to give Aquene most of the meal. That's why he brought it, after all. Even so, it was good to share a meal with a friend.

His thoughts drifted momentarily to his recent conversation with Chan, about leaving. He'd been able to convince his brother to wait until spring to leave, but would it be enough time? He didn't want to trap him here. That would make him unhappy, and as much as Nash wanted to have his older brother around, he wanted him to enjoy his life even more.

His comment about living his own life still echoed in Nash's mind.

It was moments like these that Nash wondered if he'd actually be able to leave, come Chan's departure. Would he choose his brother, or his pack? He was making a home here, making friends and finding more family than just his blood.

Aquene carried on, and Nash blinked, banishing his brooding again. He could dwell on it later. He smiled as she agreed with his plan to become a guardian. It seemed most others thought it was a good choice; he could only hope @Aleister did as well.

Seeing the way the woman across from him glowed while talking about her daughter, even the hardship, warmed Nash. He hadn't spent as much time with the pups as he would have liked, and that was most definitely his own fault. He needed to spend more time within the territory, looking after his pack, than he did patrolling the borders. He didn't need to be on constant cycle.

He could see the change in her eyes when her thoughts turned, and Nash was pretty sure he knew what things she was referring to. He struggled with interacting with wolves beyond his mother and brother, always afraid he was going to misstep, but here he knew she probably didn't want pity. He wouldn't, in her position. Unsure of whether or not his action would be welcome or not, but still wanting to offer some form of comfort, Nash leaned forward and placed a small kiss on the crown of Aquene's head, just like he would to comfort Moonshadow.

"I'm glad to hear she's growing up well. I've spent more time on the borders than I have inside the territory itself... I should really be around more," he said casually, picking at the haunch again. "Maybe when she's big enough I can show her mom's trick for fishing?" He didn't want to overstep, knowing that Al would probably be keen to make up for the time missed while he was sick and that Aquene would want to spend time with her daughter. But he also wanted to build relationships with the upcoming generation of the Cove, and he wanted to make sure the mother knew she wasn't on her own.

Aquene Slayer

Aquene was glad for the intrusion, otherwise who knew how long she would put off eating… likely until it got to the point that she couldn’t function because that was simply how she operated. It was good to have a conversation with a friend as well, as opposed to burying herself even further in herbs as well. She didn’t know as much as she likely should about the comings and goings of every member of the pack, but what she did know based on previous conversations was that Chan did not intend to stick around forever. Aquene knew she had settled, and likely would stay within the Cove for the rest of her life. She had made a home here, and they needed a healer. She knew Landen would not stick around forever after all.

Aquene could practically see the thoughts, the way his demeanor changed as he temporarily slipped into thought but she said nothing about it, instead digging further into the leg he had brought. She was grateful for his diligence. She caught his scent markings on the border every time she ventured out in order to restock, not that she went terribly far. She usually sent another when it required more than an afternoon’s journey to find because she had a sick alpha and a daughter who was running around like a tornado.

She smiled softly as Nash placed a kiss against the crown of her head and in her awkwardness she felt a slight heat rise to her cheeks. He was just so sweet, just like his mother. Honestly, she was quite surprised he wasn’t off with a mate leading his own pack, he was certainly a keeper that someone needed to swoop up. “It’s an important job. Pups are curious and a strong border marking keeps wolves who might wish them ill harm away.” She assured him, because ultimately they all had busy jobs about them.

At the mention of Moon and her special fishing technique, Aquene eagerly nodded. “She would absolutely love that.” She assured him, because she had no doubt her daughter would be eager to learn. “It would be good for her to get that experience… I’m not much of a hunter myself… unless you’re hunting for goldenrod or poppy.” She offered up because it was quite clear at this point exactly where her expertise laid. “I can hunt… I’m afraid I’m just not much of a teacher when it comes to hunting.” She definitely needed help in that department.

Sanguine Cove I. Leader
Nash Eastfall
Nash could tell Aquene definitely didn't take the time to eat as much as she should, even beyond his own deductive reasoning. She also looked... tired. Exhausted. He watched her eat, and resolved to bring her food more often, make sure that she was taking care of herself. Not only did she need to stay healthy to keep the rest of them healthy, but Nash didn't want to see her get ill.

He nodded along and bit down a grin when talking about the border; he did his best to keep the walls firm. The Cove was open to those wishing to join - so long as they asked, first. They didn't want strangers wandering around with curious pups straying further and further from the dens.

"You've got an important job too," he reminded her with a teasing grin. "You've gotta keep the rest of us hooligans in shape."

Nash's tail thumped against the ground again when Aquene granted her permission for him to teach @Kateri how to fish when the pup was so inclined. Living on a lake, fishing was an important skill to have. It was the best he was at hunting, other than rabbits. At least, he was good at it now, with his mother's lesson and his subsequent days of practice.

He felt a little better knowing he wasn't the only member of the pack lacking skills in large prey takedown. Still, this was good motivation to get better. "Don't worry," he said with a smile, reaching over and nudging Aquene's shoulder with his nose, "you hunt the herbs, I'll hunt the food. I'll pop by more to make sure you're eating when you're supposed to be." It was meant as a friendly tease, but he was also dead serious.

Aquene Slayer

Aquene knew she ought to be better about it, really she did… as a healer she knew the importance of a healthy diet, a consistent diet… but that didn’t mean that she always listened, now did it? Aquene knew that they were a welcoming pack, but it didn’t mean that trouble wouldn’t eventually lurk on their borders and it served as a great comfort to know that Nash was there to make sure that unwanted individuals stayed out or faced the consequences. They hadn’t run into too many problems, but that didn’t mean that problems wouldn’t become more present in the future.

She’d matured a lot over the past year, especially with the unexpected joy that was motherhood washing over her as quickly as it had… and with it came a healthy dose of caution to those who claimed to be a friend… but perhaps that was just her nature, worrying about her daughter and the intentions of those closest to her. She made a mental note to stop by and see Moonshadow, to inquire whether or not this was normal to feel or if perhaps she was being a little too paranoid about outsiders.

She chuckled softly and flashed him a wink at the mention of her job. “And you all certainly keep me on my toes.” She jested back. It was nice to be able to sit back and joke around and she made yet another mental note to try and remember to do so more often.

He seemed thrilled at the idea of teaching her daughter a bit more, and his next comment brought another more lengthy chuckle out of her, practically rolling onto her side from the amusement. “That sounds like a deal.” She managed out between chuckles. “And that might be for the best… sometimes the healer needs someone looking out for them too. My cousin Landen used to be absolutely awful at remembering to eat while keeping up with the stores and treating patients that came into my uncle’s infirmary. My uncle would sit him down and practically force feed him just to take a break… I guess I get it a bit from him.” She had learned what she had witnessed after all. “We can make sure we each take breaks by forcing the other to take breaks.” Him from the border and her from her caches.

Sanguine Cove I. Leader
Nash Eastfall
You can pp him walking away if you'd like

Nash liked this, just sitting and enjoying a snack with a friend. A snack for him, anyway. Meal for her. He wouldn't mind sharing a meal with her either. He hoped he would be able to more in the coming months, despite the cold. She returned his jesting easily, naturally, and laughed when he poked at her. He decided he liked her laugh.

"That's what a pack is for, isn't it? Looking out for each other?" he smiled. "Alright, I'll take breaks to come visit you, and make you take breaks to eat with me. Hope you can put up that much of my company!" he chuckled, even though that last part was only half a joke. "I hope you're ready, 'cuz you're gonna get so much food."

He yawned and stretched. "Speaking of breaks, I think I might find somewhere sunny to take a nap." He gave her what he hoped was a somewhat firm look. "Don't go back to overworking yourself just 'cuz I'm not here to watch you. Promise me."

Aquene Slayer

The smile never left Aquene’s features. It was easy to settle into their conversations, far more so than others, like the father of her child for example. The question came and she nodded. “It’s true… and the Cove is always so great about looking out for each other.” It truly reminded her of home, just with less of a tragedy. Even now, tragedy had tainted to the Cove in some way… but ultimately, it had not been as jarring as the death of her mother. Perhaps that was simply because she was older and better equipped to handle loss now. Hell if she knew.

She chuckled softly and rolled her eyes sassily at him in turn. “You make it sound like a chore. You are always welcome to come interrupt my work.” She needed to clarify that at the moment. Especially if you bring food, just don’t go getting me fat or anything.” She teased lightly. She knew feasibly that wouldn’t happen. He yawned and spoke of a nap and she was just a little envious. She had a little more work to get done before she could warrant a nap, and she really ought to figure out where Kateri disappeared to as well. “I promise I’ll behave and take care of myself so long as you do too.” She said before letting him get off to his nap and she returned to her stores, a full belly and a new sense of energy about her.